New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• patchworkquilter
    Options
    Hi, i've been losing weight slowly since February this year doing ww points plus online but found fitness pal now and have been combining it with the ww for when I don't want to pay anymore. So far they are very similiar and I can see this will work fine. My points and calorie allotment seem to be the same. I've lost 33 lbs so far and my goal is to lose 65 lbs.not sure if thats my final goal or not, as it depends how I look and feel. I average only a half to a lb a week but thats okay because I see what I am eating now at 1350 calories a day or 26 points is basically what I will continue to eat when at goal so I am taking one day at a time and will see where I end up. I have had weight problems my entire adult life and paying for it dearly now with severe arthritis, one knee is real bad and made me take retirement after 30 years, I am 62 and married for 44 years. My husband is a chow hound too so thats always been a challenge. I enjoy reading the posts and looking for encouragement, good recipes, goals, etc. welcome to all us newbies here and hi to those who have been around. Mary
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome patchworkqiuilter
    Sounds like your doing great :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mary! You are doing well. Super group here.
  • Lostinflorida
    Lostinflorida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm John and live just south of Orlando. We're still enjoying the heat & humidity of a long summer. I'm 54 yrs young, later this month, and have been steadily gaining weight over a period of the last 5-6 years. I struggled w/ an Achilles injury all summer, and have recently been waking up tired. After work, I come home and hit the couch. I can barely trim my toenails. My pants don't fit. This is just crazy, and this just has to end. Today. My heel has been getting better, and i'm able to walk 3+ miles now w/ minimal pain. But, I need to be held accountable (to myself) on my food intake. I've been planning on attending an OA meeting for the past month, but each week have blown it off. It's gotta be one step, one meal, one bite at a time. I will document and track my food intake, and keep walking. I'd invite any / all to join me. It's my 1st Day on MFP, and i'd love to have my timeline full of motivated and positive comments. Wishing all the best, where-ever you are :)
  • marekdds
    Options
    Congratulations on making the choice to change your life. It is so worth it, the energy you get back is amazing. You can do this. One step at a time.
  • fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    diane5414 wrote: »
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Welcome to the group! We look forward to getting to know you. Please post a reply and tell us about yourself. Also, feel free to start a new discussion at any time on something you need to know, want to share, or just think might be fun.

Hi, I'm 64 and need to lose a lot of weight, I have had both knees replaced and need to get the weight off of them, would like some friends that will help keep me in line with my goal. I am a stress eater with a lot of stress in my life but I really want to reach my goal . Please help
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Welcome! It's a good group and you will find good company, info and encouragement here.

• fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and also a quilter. 3rd year of retirement from teaching high school. We do a little traveling with our motor home and I am active in a water aerobic group.

• BBee5064
    Options
    I'm John and live just south of Orlando. We're still enjoying the heat & humidity of a long summer. I'm 54 yrs young, later this month, and have been steadily gaining weight over a period of the last 5-6 years. I struggled w/ an Achilles injury all summer, and have recently been waking up tired. After work, I come home and hit the couch. I can barely trim my toenails. My pants don't fit. This is just crazy, and this just has to end. Today. My heel has been getting better, and i'm able to walk 3+ miles now w/ minimal pain. But, I need to be held accountable (to myself) on my food intake. I've been planning on attending an OA meeting for the past month, but each week have blown it off. It's gotta be one step, one meal, one bite at a time. I will document and track my food intake, and keep walking. I'd invite any / all to join me. It's my 1st Day on MFP, and i'd love to have my timeline full of motivated and positive comments. Wishing all the best, where-ever you are :)

Welcome to our group John
    You have made a great decision in joining mfp.. Here you will find positive, motivational support. We look forward to getting to know u
  • BBee5064
    Options
    fitotrim wrote: »
    I am 63 and also a quilter. 3rd year of retirement from teaching high school. We do a little traveling with our motor home and I am active in a water aerobic group.

Welcome to our group. :)
  • markstone789
    markstone789 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello to all! Happy to find this group. I come to learn from you all on how to achieve a healthier lifestyle.
    I was normal weight or even skinny until my mid 20s. After getting married, 2 children and 10 years later, my weight increased from 145 to 170 pounds.
    I weighted the 190 lbs this spring. (BTW, I am 51 years old and 5'11") I stared simple walking routines daily and watched the portion of my meals. I lowered my weight to 175 lbs in 3 months with little effort.
    Found MFP to help me losing the next 10 lbs. it is working so far thanks to the tighter food logging, knowledge and supports from friends.
    Sorry for the lengthy intro. Please add me if you like. -Mark
  • mjguthrie1
    mjguthrie1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Martha, I'm 54 and live in northeast Indiana. I have had high blood pressure for years and when the doctor wanted to add another medicine I said that was enough, I need to lose weight to get healthier. I started using Nutrisystem in February, have been losing weight steadily and reduced one of my medicines already. My husband and I started bike riding this spring. We have a camper and even took two vacations to places with bike trails so we could ride someplace different. I look forward to getting support, advice and motivation from this group.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Mark and Martha! Smart and supportive people here. Take advantage.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a good place. Nice people, sensible information and suggestions.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome aboard :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it here !
  • kevingacke
    kevingacke Posts: 22 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm from Washinton, about an hour north of Seattle. I'm 51, 5' 10", married 27 years, two kids. For my 50th birthday my wife an I went skydiving for the first time. I weighed 218, which was barely under the 220 max weight. Not a good feeling knowing your weight may prevent you from participating in things with a loved one. That was my wake up moment. I have been tracking food for 4 month, lost 13 lbs. I am down to 205, with a goal weight of 175. Always looking for additional info to help me along the way.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Kevin! Great group of people here in various stages with a lot of good info.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Great to meet you Kevin. Skydiving, that sounds like a blast!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about a max weight for skydiving but I guess it makes sense. Although it is not on my bucket list I did not qualify before I started mfp but now do so I am going to include that as a milestone. Welcome, Kevin.
  • bbycakes1963
    bbycakes1963 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 52 and have about 50 pounds I want to lose. I've been losing and gaining the same 10 pounds for about 20 years now and I'd really like to break that cycle. I have a wonderful family, my husband and two kids are normal weight and get terribly bored by me talking about food (or anything else really) so I really need someone to talk to.... It's pretty lonely!