Moon cheese!

Options
42carrots
42carrots Posts: 97 Member
Oh man, new favourite snack. So delicious, I've eaten a whole bag in one sitting which feels wrong, but also very right, haha. Anyone else tried these? They kind of taste like if you took the cheese powder off of cheesies and crammed it into balls, only better? And there's no weird stuff added to them which is nice.

I need to figure out how to make them if it's possible to do at home (anyone know?) There's cheddar, gouda and jalapeno, they're all pretty delicious.

Nutritional info for all of the flavours is here:
http://www.mooncheesesnacks.com/

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Looks lovely!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sounds like since it has Moon in the title that it is likely dehydrated cheese as most space food is. Perhaps you can look at the ingredients closely to make sure there are no processing agents and then go for a dehydrator to try yourself?

SOUNDS amazing, btw, I'm so looking for these at the store... Where did you find them?

P.S. I used to lick my doritos before I ate them, and never really even wanted to eat them...I just wanted to stuff, so this sounds right up my alley!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Wonder what this Vegetable coloring is as ingredient?
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Annatto is an orange‑red condiment and food coloring derived from the seeds of the achiote tree. It is often used to impart a yellow or orange color to foods, but sometimes also for its flavor and aroma. Per: Wikipedia

Geeez...
  • 42carrots
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good question @itcphotog , I don't typically eat processed foods, but it looks like they've made it a point to use natural/regular cheese ingredients for the most part so I'm not too worried about it. Looks like the jalapeno kind has no colouring added though.

@KnitOrMiss they say they use "patented technology" to remove the liquid, but I actually do own a food dehydrator so I think a food experiment is definitely in order, I'll do it soon and report back here!

I live in Ontario, Canada and I found them at Denninger's. The website says they're a new company so distribution is currently a bit limited, but it does list all the places that carry it and hopefully more will soon. You can also order from them online too, apparently.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Wonder what this Vegetable coloring is as ingredient?

If you look on a block of orange cheddar cheese, it will most likely list annatto as an ingredient as well; it's what they use to make it orange. It's a natural ingredient used for coloring, kind of like you could use turmeric to turn something yellow/orange or beets to turn something red...
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options

42carrots wrote: »
    Good question @itcphotog , I don't typically eat processed foods, but it looks like they've made it a point to use natural/regular cheese ingredients for the most part so I'm not too worried about it. Looks like the jalapeno kind has no colouring added though.

@KnitOrMiss they say they use "patented technology" to remove the liquid, but I actually do own a food dehydrator so I think a food experiment is definitely in order, I'll do it soon and report back here!

I live in Ontario, Canada and I found them at Denninger's. The website says they're a new company so distribution is currently a bit limited, but it does list all the places that carry it and hopefully more will soon. You can also order from them online too, apparently.

I was thinking a food dehydrator too! I would think it depends on whether your dehydrator uses warmth or not. We're food geeks around here and like to watch the Alton Brown show "Good Eats," and he has an episode where he makes a simple cool air dehydrator to make jerky with. That might be worth a shot if a warm air one makes the cheese funky. Anyhoo, YUM! I'm going to have to give those a try!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »

I was thinking a food dehydrator too! I would think it depends on whether your dehydrator uses warmth or not. We're food geeks around here and like to watch the Alton Brown show "Good Eats," and he has an episode where he makes a simple cool air dehydrator to make jerky with. That might be worth a shot if a warm air one makes the cheese funky. Anyhoo, YUM! I'm going to have to give those a try!

Yup, I thought of the box fan/air filter Alton Brown dehydrator, too!!! LOL I just don't know how it would work with dairy. LOL
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This would be a binge food for me. I have to stay away. Too much like a cheeto.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    yeah if you like cheesy snacks, ideally make sure you can spare 350 calories in your day because that's what's in the bag, and if you're like me you will eat the whole thing :P
  • nill4me
    Options
    Exactly. Lol
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love Moon Cheese. Netrition.com has the best price. I just ordered 8 bags of Gouda this week.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Wish they were available here in the UK!
  • nill4me
    Options
    I love netrition.com
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    No mooncheese in Australia :(
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Netrition.com ships internationally.

International shipping info halfway down this page: http://www.netrition.com/policies.html#Shipping

Info on customs/shipping to UK: http://www.netrition.com/united_kingdom.html

Info on customs/shipping to Australia: http://www.netrition.com/australia.html
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of netrition.com. Do you guys eat things like "Great Low Carb Bread Company Bagels?"
  • Mistizoom
    edited April 2015
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I've never heard of netrition.com. Do you guys eat things like "Great Low Carb Bread Company Bagels?"

I do occasionally. Some people might not find that "keto" enough, but I can fit them in to my eating plan. Plus they contain gluten. I have been tested and don't have a gluten allergy and have noticed no ill effects from consuming it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    $5 for 2oz is too expensive. I put a large pinch of parmesan on some parchment paper and nuke it till it bubbles. NomNOM!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
  • infynyty
    infynyty Posts: 4
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    $5 for 2oz is too expensive. I put a large pinch of parmesan on some parchment paper and nuke it till it bubbles. NomNOM!

I hope this helps,

I will try this--thanks! Moon Cheese sounds awesome but is expensive. I'd burn through a bag in one sitting.