100 pushup challenge

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    @totaloblivia, I finally caught up to you today with my 100 non-consecutive. I find myself cheating all the time in that last set now. Instead of 25 in a row, I'd do 10, rest, 5, rest, 2, rest.... That's legal, right? :)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 1 is ... harsh. :'(
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have yet to do W1D3 but I will catch up this weekend since I won't have access to my other exercise equipment.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I logged W3D3 as a fail. Did 20,30,20 but didn't even try the last couple sets. It didn't help that the new dog was licking my face.
  • kuranda10
    edited May 2015
    Options
    <---- The big one like to try to sit on my back and the little one likes to lay under my arms, so my chest is hitting her on the down. Because mum on the floor MUST = play time, right?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    <---- The big one like to try to sit on my back and the little one likes to lay under my arms, so my chest is hitting her on the down. Because mum on the floor MUST = play time, right?

My kitten (who really isn't much of a kitten anymore) does the same thing, laying under my belly and trying to climb my arms and play with my hair, she's adorable but seriously obnoxious when I'm trying to focus
  • kuranda10
    Options
    My little one (50 kg, but still my puppy) has learned, When I'm doing pilates mat, that if she lies on her back real close to me, she can get 100 belly rubs during the "100 warm up".
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    @totaloblivia, I finally caught up to you today with my 100 non-consecutive. I find myself cheating all the time in that last set now. Instead of 25 in a row, I'd do 10, rest, 5, rest, 2, rest.... That's legal, right? :)

Definitely legal: now the app has taken my reps to >120 I do have to stop and rest to get through eg 30 reps in one go. If the goal is 100 pushups, why do I need to do >100?!?!?! And where will I be by week 6?!?! Do I have the time? I thought it would move to decreasing the rest-time rather than increasing the reps.

Thanks for your suggestion re making pushups harder. I'm leaving it for now, but might do that for the next round as I try to transition to proper pushups.

But I did get the sit up app as well, but destroyed by glow of virtue by purposely cheating and starting off by saying I could only do <10 sit ups so it doesn't push me too hard too soon.

LOL re your dog licking your face - definitely couldn't do pushups that way!
  • wabmester
    Options
    I kicked the dog out of the house and tried W3D3 again. And I was defeated again. Got closer, this time. 6 more reps and I'm there! I'll rest a couple days and try again.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    I made it through W4D3, but my test is no where near the minimum reps to start W5D1, so I am re-doing W4 but using the next column to try to build up to Week 5.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I kicked the dog out of the house and tried W3D3 again. And I was defeated again. Got closer, this time. 6 more reps and I'm there! I'll rest a couple days and try again.
    You can do it!

• wabmester
    Options
    Don't tell me, tell my triceps! I felt like a weight lifter after those 114 pushups. All swole and macho. :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I missed so many days I'm just going to start over. Once my messed up neck feels better.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Well, it took me a lot longer than 3 weeks, but I finally made it past week 3. Yay, pain. :)
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Anyone else still doing this? I am on week 5 and have clocked up 180 "easy" pushups (why the heck does the app say 100 pushups, I'd have been happy to stick to 100!!!) but it is now really hard and I have to rest within the sets as well as between them. My muscles have definitely grown, although when at rest, you still can't see them for the covering of fat. I am hoping if I ever lose more weight (not having a great few weeks) I can reveal lovely toned arms - one day....

Have started on the 200 situp app as well, but have gamed that a bit by starting purposefully low. I am on week 2, and am now starting to find it hard. Is it cheating to hook your feet under something when doing sit ups? It does make it easier though, so am guessing yes.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    I'm still in. Although a touch modified
    I did W4 but then the "test" at the end didn't put me anywhere near W5 numbers (in column one) so I did the 2nd column in W4.
    I just did W5 D1(1st column)
  • wabmester
    Options
    (why the heck does the app say 100 pushups, I'd have been happy to stick to 100!!!)

It tries to train you to do 100 consecutive -- no rest breaks! I'll restart week 4 this week.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Definitely legal: now the app has taken my reps to >120 I do have to stop and rest to get through eg 30 reps in one go. If the goal is 100 pushups, why do I need to do >100?!?!?! And where will I be by week 6?!?! Do I have the time? I thought it would move to decreasing the rest-time rather than increasing the reps.

Thanks for your suggestion re making pushups harder. I'm leaving it for now, but might do that for the next round as I try to transition to proper pushups.

But I did get the sit up app as well, but destroyed by glow of virtue by purposely cheating and starting off by saying I could only do <10 sit ups so it doesn't push me too hard too soon.

LOL re your dog licking your face - definitely couldn't do pushups that way!

The goal is 100 consecutive pushups. To do that, you need strength and endurance. It's similar to how weight lifting works -- if my 1 rep bench press max is 150lbs, that means I can do one rep at that amount, then need to rest (in this case, for a couple of days), but I can do 5 reps at 120lbs, which means I've lifted a total of 600lbs per session (5x120) before needing to rest for a couple of days, and after a few weeks, my 1 rep max has increased to, say, 160lbs.

The same goes with push-ups. When you started, you may have only been able to do 30 consecutive push-ups. So, you started by doing sets of 10 or 15 or so. By doing 4 sets of 10, for example, you did 40 push-ups, total. As the weeks go by, you have built both strength and endurance, and can now do 50 consecutive push-ups, and your sets are now what your consecutive max used to be.

I just did Week 3, Day 3 for the second time. Got 2 shy on the last set-amount set, and half on the X+ set. The latter is typical and I chalk up to the lack of muscle glycogen (when you eat as close to no carbs as is feasibly possible, that tends to happen). The former is somewhat new, but I really broke it last time, so this time's an improvement. I'm improving, albeit slowly. I'm starting to hit the wall I normally hit with push-ups and other bodyweight stuff -- I get bored as hell with this high-rep work. I'm half-tempted to restart and try full push-ups, just so I don't feel like I'm spending forever doing this stuff (there's a reason I choose powerlifting over anything else when given the choice...).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Anyone else still doing this? I am on week 5 and have clocked up 180 "easy" pushups (why the heck does the app say 100 pushups, I'd have been happy to stick to 100!!!) but it is now really hard and I have to rest within the sets as well as between them. My muscles have definitely grown, although when at rest, you still can't see them for the covering of fat. I am hoping if I ever lose more weight (not having a great few weeks) I can reveal lovely toned arms - one day....

Have started on the 200 situp app as well, but have gamed that a bit by starting purposefully low. I am on week 2, and am now starting to find it hard. Is it cheating to hook your feet under something when doing sit ups? It does make it easier though, so am guessing yes.

As long as you don't brace against the something to pull up, you're probably okay. It should just be a gentle pressure to keep you from moving your feet.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Anybody still attempting this? I finally completed W4D1 (120 push ups) after too many retries to count. It hurts so good. :)