Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

56 out there now and looking toward a sunny 78 degrees for the high.

Sink is cleared, breakfast has been consumed, and I'm starting to sip my first cup of tea.

Nothing major on the agenda today, but maybe some neglected housework. Ariel has consumed a lot of time recently and it's been rather stressful...
    Hi Again
    You get the Sun and we get the rain :(

I would think it could be very stressful TBH,

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    In case anyone wants to make their own lardy cake...(I believe I'd substitute butter flavored Crisco)...

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/lardy-cake
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2017
    You may remember Commander Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but do you remember his character on THIS SHOW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi !!!
    Been up since about 7. So what have I done?
    Fed cat, cleaned cat litter box. took out trash, caught up all my emails. Then the A/C guy called he was going to be early...so I got dressed, made another cup of coffee..he arrived even earlier than early (Yea!!!) Got that done and went to the gym.
    Watching news, and will have lunch when its over. I had just put the peanut butter on my piece of toast and pre peeled my banana. So, I got a bite here and there and then polished it off after he left. So, lunch will be somewhat delayed.

Ted goes back to work today, (the business is closed on Mondays). So, closing Piedmont Ave will not be an issue for him until he has to come home.... and when he goes to work tomorrow. (it hadn't been closed on his trip TO work this morning. This is not going to be good for him!

I was so glad to read that Ariel is eating!

Roger, your walk was good til the part came about the rain! You are much more dedicated than I would be. ;)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    A.A.A.D.D. -Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:
    I decide to water my garden.As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full. So I decide to put the bills back on the table & take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left.My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. The Pepsi is getting warm.I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye.They need water.I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote someone had left it on the kitchen table.I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs.

But first I'll water the flowers.I pour some water in the flowers. Quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter, the flowers still don't actually have enough water, there is still only 1 check in my check book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all damn day, and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail...
  • RogerToo
    P1Z2fx.jpg

E3qpXu.jpg

3ioOeD.jpg

mZ9EqD.jpg

nkUzLS.jpg

oBQsn9.jpg

3pJR9Y.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 3400 steps, The temperature this morning was 53/55 degrees. It was not a nice day outside for walking until the light rain stopped. I Got started late and finished early as I am feeling a bit under the weather.
    From Here:
    I thought it was interesting :)
    https://www.studyfinds.org/peanuts-heart-disease-study/Survey

Lower Your Risk Of Heart Disease — By Eating Peanuts With Your Meal, Study Finds
    19Apr - by Study Finds
    STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Looking to add an extra layer of protection against having a heart attack? Just add a side of peanuts to your lunch or dinner.

A new study finds that including peanuts with a meal helps keep your arteries stronger after eating — an important factor in allowing healthy blood flow, which lowers your risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases that can result in heart attack or stroke.
    Peanuts
    A new study finds that eating a side of peanuts with your meal may help keep your arteries healthy and prevent against cardiovascular diseases.

Researchers at Penn State University studied 15 overweight and obese men who were otherwise healthy, and had them eat a high-fat meal, following by three-ounces of unsalted peanuts (about three times the amount of an average serving) ground into a shake. A control group was then instructed to eat the same meal, but those participants were fed a shake that contained no peanuts, but was similar in size and nutritional value.

Thirty minutes after the meal, the researchers drew blood from the participants and measured for lipid, lipoprotein, and insulin levels. Blood was drawn again an hour after the meal, and then again at two hours and four hours after the meal. Blood flow was monitored via ultrasound.

LIKE STUDIES? FOLLOW STUDYFINDS.ORG ON FACEBOOK!

The authors determined that the individuals who consumed the peanut shake saw a 32 percent reduction in levels of triglycerides — or fat in blood — compared to those who had the control shake.

The researchers say that grounding peanuts into a shake isn’t necessary for the result — people should see the same effect if eaten normally.

“Typically, whenever we eat something, it causes the arteries to get a little bit stiffer during the post-meal period, but we have shown that if you eat peanuts with your meal, this can help prevent the stiffening response,” says Penny Kris-Etherton, distinguished professor of nutrition at the university, in a press release.

“When the stiffening response happens in the cells that line the arteries, resulting in decreased elasticity in the arteries, it can limit the availability of nitric oxide, and when there’s less nitric oxide, the arteries don’t dilate that much,” she adds. “What you want is a dilation of the arteries and for them to be really elastic.”

Kris-Etherton says that stiffened arteries force the heart to work harder and thus raises the risk of disease and potentially heart failure.

“After a meal, triglycerides increase and this typically decreases the dilation of the arteries, but the peanuts prevent that big increase in triglycerides after the meal,” says Kris-Etherton. “And that may be the mechanism behind this effect, because the triglycerides are not getting so high, which may explain why there is not a decrease in artery elasticity.”

The study was published last month in the Journal of Nutrition.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    In case anyone wants to make their own lardy cake...(I believe I'd substitute butter flavored Crisco)...

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/lardy-cake

Hi Ed
    Thank You, That looks Interesting...

To me and my sweet tooth that is :)
    A.A.A.D.D. -Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:
    I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full. So I decide to put the bills back on the table & take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left.My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. The Pepsi is getting warm.I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye.They need water.I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote someone had left it on the kitchen table.I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs.

But first I'll water the flowers.I pour some water in the flowers. Quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter, the flowers still don't actually have enough water, there is still only 1 check in my check book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all damn day, and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail...

Wow, I've been suffering from this for years and never realized it had a name or description :)

That was a great read
    Many Thanks
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi !!!
    Been up since about 7. So what have I done?
    Fed cat, cleaned cat litter box. took out trash, caught up all my emails. Then the A/C guy called he was going to be early...so I got dressed, made another cup of coffee..he arrived even earlier than early (Yea!!!) Got that done and went to the gym.
    Watching news, and will have lunch when its over. I had just put the peanut butter on my piece of toast and pre peeled my banana. So, I got a bite here and there and then polished it off after he left. So, lunch will be somewhat delayed.

Ted goes back to work today, (the business is closed on Mondays). So, closing Piedmont Ave will not be an issue for him until he has to come home.... and when he goes to work tomorrow. (it hadn't been closed on his trip TO work this morning. This is not going to be good for him!

I was so glad to read that Ariel is eating!

Roger, your walk was good til the part came about the rain! You are much more dedicated than I would be. ;)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I slept in since I was tired, evidently I did not sleep late enough as I was still not near 100% today out the door. I only Boomeranged to the Post office to mail four bills I paid and get some Coffee :(

I hope the AC stays fixed for You.

I like a Peanut Butter and Banana on bread sandwich with a little butter on the bread for taste. I prefer that to the traditional PB&J sandwich TBH.

Yesterday I toasted a slice of 60 calorie, 21 while grains and seeds organic bread, a smear of butter for taste and some of the Knotts Berry Farm Boysenberry Jelly for mt mid-afternoon snack. It was tasty too. That bread makes a nice toast with a little butter so it worked real well with the Jelly.

Hopefully the traffic woes get cured in the near future before the summer heat and humidity set in.

Color me semi dedicated :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

62 out there now, with an expected high of 83 and 10% chance of precipitation.

Been up since shortly after 7:00, but distracted. Sink is cleared and dishwasher is running. I pounced unexpectedly on Ariel and popped her Prednisone down easily. So far I've been as random as possible about how and when I grab her, as I don't want her to detect a significant pattern to the timing or location on this, though she DOES look forward to the treats after, and she knows she's supposed to get treats after, so that pattern didn't take long to set in!

At some point she may figure out that any time in the morning is fair game for this and just start hiding all morning, but one can hope not. LOL.

Need to get out to the store.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited April 2017
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    5 movies with locked away scenes we may never get to see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V84W96YkRFA
  • parityanimal
    Quirky things Brits do with their food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZRAAYHGaA
  • parityanimal
    Beans, beans, good for the heart!

Two cups of pinto beans sorted and now soaking in a big pot of salted water.

Easter ham bone removed from freezer to refrigerator, pending immersion, with the beans, in a slow cooker for the making of a large pot of ham and pinto bean soup.

• parityanimal
    edited April 2017
    Well, we ended up not having salad with dinner tonight.

Because the salad WAS dinner tonight. Bibb lettuce, tomato, slivers of pepper jack cheese, cucumber, Mexican style shredded cheese, potato sticks, croutons, bacon bits (fake for Jason, real for me), and THREE BOILED EGGS EACH quartered into the salads and I feel fairly well stuffed now.
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2017
    yFrwEP.jpg

Pqg2iA.jpg

MZwarP.jpg

l1epHg.jpg
    Exercise Humor :)

FbZBNA.jpg

AlDUG0.jpg
    Good Use for paperclips
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7200 steps, The temperature this morning was 59/60 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking despite the cloud cover. The Dense Fog in the forecast has not shown up so far. The plan for today is a trip to eastern Pennsylvania so that should add to my step count nicely.

From Here, More information and details by following the links:
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sd-me-salt-diet-20170425-story.html

Higher sodium intake associated with lower blood pressure. You read that right.
    In another blow against decades of accepted medical wisdom, one of the most prestigious, long-running studies reports that lowering sodium intake doesn’t reduce blood pressure.

The study also implies that most Americans are consuming a perfectly healthy amount of salt, the main source of sodium. But those who are salt-sensitive, about 20 to 25 percent of the population, still need to restrict salt intake.

Consuming fewer than 2,500 milligrams of sodium daily is actually associated with higher blood pressure, according to the Framingham Offspring Study report, given today. The American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily, equal to a teaspoon of ordinary iodized table salt.
    And
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/24/bay-area-low-income-100000-san-francisco-san-mateo-county-hud/
    SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – New figures from the federal government finds in parts of the Bay Area, some people who bring in a six-figure income can be considered “low-income.”

Edward Apana of South San Francisco – married, with 2 children – says the cost of living in the Bay Area is a challenge. So to hear that six-figures is now considered “low income” is a bit shocking, but not that hard to believe.

“Between the two of us, we can still make San Francisco, San Mateo County home,” Apana told KPIX 5 “If one of us were to lose our job, it would be kind of tough.”

The new numbers come from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and specifically have to do with eligibility for government assistance for housing.

HUD says a family of four in San Francisco or San Mateo County with an income of 105,350 is now considered “low income.” For Alameda and Contra Costa County, $80,400 is considered low income.

Hmm...

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I thought the food in the still image looked tasty, OTOH what do I know. Then it dawned on me, it's a video :)

Have a nice Day
    Roger