Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

65 out there now with a wet high of 77. 90% chance of precipitation.

I first woke up about 3:45 with a raging headache. Got out of bed, took STUFF for headache, offered food to Ariel since she followed me into the bathroom, and went back to bed. Headache is still lurking at the back of the head, and may need more STUFF later, but for now it's kicked back pretty well.

I've been fed, Lilo has been fed, Ariel has been pilled and has eaten a snack. Since today is one of her "every third day" appetite stimulant days, along with her current daily Prednisone, I just popped all of that down her at once and then she had her snack. In about an hour and a half I wouldn't be surprised to see the "stoned kitty with the munchies" manifest. We'll see.

Could stand to get out for some pita chips, as I've got hummus in the fridge, but will see what the weather is like.

J is on his way to Asheville for an orchid show so I've got the kitty (literally) while he's gone.

Tomorrow I get to take her for the next chemo. It should be a fairly short visit as it's just a blood workup and a pill there. Then next week it's iv Vincristine again and the fourth week is a drop-off for a longer infusion of the other drug, something beginning with a D I think...
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Just saying HI!!!
    Batch cooking. Looked at I think all the posts up until Ed's last batch this morning. I'll save those for later.
    Right now taking a break.
    I won't touch that article with a ten foot pole Roger. I know what the science says. :)
    Ed, do you always salt the water you soak your beans in? Why had I never heard of that???? Hmmm.
    Batching going well...tofu scramble ready to be cooked, and then only a creamy broccoli soup to make...will take maybe half hour to ready the broccoli, and other ingredients, cook in the IP, and then run thru the blender....or more likely I'll use the stick blender, as directions have you removing about 2 cups of the broccoli before blending. So its not a super smooth soup, and the recipe reads good.
    One of the sauces I made this morning is "Smoky GOUDA Cheeze Sauce. I read it. decided it might be good. To my surprise it is soooo delicious. Good thing cause it made about 6 cups of sauce. Another recipe to make again...after doing the math and halving it! And I suspect it will go on top of well, everything!
    Back to the kitchen....
  • parityanimal
    Just saying HI!!!
    Batch cooking. Looked at I think all the posts up until Ed's last batch this morning. I'll save those for later.
    I won't touch that article with a ten foot pole Roger. I know what the science says. :)
    Ed, do you always salt the water you soak your beans in? Why had I never heard of that???? Hmmm.
    Batching going well...tofu scramble ready to be cooked, and then only a creamy broccoli soup to make...will take maybe half hour to ready the broccoli, and other ingredients, cook in the IP, and then run thru the blender....or more likely I'll use the stick blender, as directions have you removing about 2 cups of the broccoli before blending. So its not a super smooth soup, and the recipe reads good.
    One of the sauces I made this morning is "Smoky GOUDA Cheeze Sauce. I read it. decided it might be good. To my surprise it is soooo delicious. Good thing cause it made about 6 cups of sauce. Another recipe to make again...after doing the math and halving it! And I suspect it will go on top of well, everything!
    Back to the kitchen....

If I'm doing anything longer than a "quick soak" (which takes a little over an hour) then I salt the water, usually with a pretty good handful of salt. Theoretically, this helps to retard any possible fermentation from altering the flavor and texture of the beans. Also, theoretically, soaking and/or cooking in salted water can actually reduce the cooking time required for the beans to soften, despite the oft-held opinion that salting before/during cooking will make them hard or make it take longer, which seems, in experimentation, to not be the case at all.

Now putting ACID ingredients, such as vinegar, lemon, tomato, etc, during cooking, can definitely slow the cooking process and it may take FOREVER for the beans to soften up, so those should be added at the end, when the beans are pretty much done and otherwise ready to eat.

Putting vinegar in at the beginning with baked beans is fine if the beans are already cooked, but if not, you might want to hold off on the vinegar until the end.

I generally season my beans or bean soup at the beginning, but not OVERLY season, and then make any necessary adjustments at the end. Eduardo is generally pretty good at estimating how much stuff to put in. But then 47 years of cooking experience can do that for a person.

I wouldn't know, of course, since I only admit to being 39, but Eduardo started cooking at 10 years old and has been doing it since.

• parityanimal
    In my afternoon dream, I woke remembering basically one phrase...

"So let's give red suits to all the little girls and then they'll be happy."

I don't know why (or if) all the little girls actually wanted red suits, or even who the little girls were. Was it all the little girls in the world?

I did get the impression that the intent was to give them all identical red suits, aside from sizing differences.

No clue what the little boys (if there even were any) would be wearing.
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    And...dinner!

20170427_175953_zps8ghjpiej.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 66 out there now looking toward a sunny high of 86.

Need to get ready to catch Ariel and get her to the vet for her chemo.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    qm3NmT.jpg

sHyP2k.jpg

VJKBko.jpg
    So True :)

MX4IQh.jpg

EpmUYF.jpg

8E7cOy.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 8300 steps, The temperature this morning was 58/59 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking despite the cloud cover. The Dense Fog in the forecast has not shown up so far, It is getting foggier strangely to me. The plan for yesterday was for a trip to eastern Pennsylvania which should add to my step count nicely. However on the return home I left my fitbit sitting so I missed some of my steps :(

I am sitting here resting for a few minutes before I go out to mow the lawn :(

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

65 out there now with a wet high of 77. 90% chance of precipitation.

I first woke up about 3:45 with a raging headache. Got out of bed, took STUFF for headache, offered food to Ariel since she followed me into the bathroom, and went back to bed. Headache is still lurking at the back of the head, and may need more STUFF later, but for now it's kicked back pretty well.

I've been fed, Lilo has been fed, Ariel has been pilled and has eaten a snack. Since today is one of her "every third day" appetite stimulant days, along with her current daily Prednisone, I just popped all of that down her at once and then she had her snack. In about an hour and a half I wouldn't be surprised to see the "stoned kitty with the munchies" manifest. We'll see.

Could stand to get out for some pita chips, as I've got hummus in the fridge, but will see what the weather is like.

J is on his way to Asheville for an orchid show so I've got the kitty (literally) while he's gone.

Tomorrow I get to take her for the next chemo. It should be a fairly short visit as it's just a blood workup and a pill there. Then next week it's iv Vincristine again and the fourth week is a drop-off for a longer infusion of the other drug, something beginning with a D I think..
    Hi Ed
    I think I am lucky with headaches, they are usually not to bad. The worst one I ever had was when I suffered from Caffeine withdrawal. A cup of coffee cured that real quick too.
    If I'm doing anything longer than a "quick soak" (which takes a little over an hour) then I salt the water, usually with a pretty good handful of salt. Theoretically, this helps to retard any possible fermentation from altering the flavor and texture of the beans. Also, theoretically, soaking and/or cooking in salted water can actually reduce the cooking time required for the beans to soften, despite the oft-held opinion that salting before/during cooking will make them hard or make it take longer, which seems, in experimentation, to not be the case at all.

Now putting ACID ingredients, such as vinegar, lemon, tomato, etc, during cooking, can definitely slow the cooking process and it may take FOREVER for the beans to soften up, so those should be added at the end, when the beans are pretty much done and otherwise ready to eat.

Putting vinegar in at the beginning with baked beans is fine if the beans are already cooked, but if not, you might want to hold off on the vinegar until the end.

I generally season my beans or bean soup at the beginning, but not OVERLY season, and then make any necessary adjustments at the end. Eduardo is generally pretty good at estimating how much stuff to put in. But then 47 years of cooking experience can do that for a person.

I wouldn't know, of course, since I only admit to being 39, but Eduardo started cooking at 10 years old and has been doing it since.
    FWIW my brother does soak his beans overnight in plain water as he uses no salt in his cooking :)
    I believe they get more than enough salt and flavor when he adds lots of thick cut bacon chunks to the mix before baking them in the Bean Pot.
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 66 out there now looking toward a sunny high of 86.

Need to get ready to catch Ariel and get her to the vet for her chemo.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Just saying HI!!!
    Back to the kitchen....
    Hi Valerie
    I look at the article on salt and it reminds me of Eggs.
    Eggs are bad for You
    Eggs are OK in moderation
    Eat Eggs everyday if desired. Etc.

Those remind me of the flavor of the day for foods. Take Your choice :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Back from the vet. Ariel tolerated the first week treatment with Vincristine quite well, and today she had Cytoxin, which is a bit easier as it's a pill. Of course they check blood work every week to make sure all is going OK, prior to giving any treatment.

I gave her today's dose of Prednisone, and some treats for going to the vet and taking the Prednisone. Then we went to the master bathroom and she and Lilo were happily eating some kibble.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Dinner tonight: Baked buttercup squash, sauteed rainbow chard (with garlic and a squeeze of lemon), ham and bean soup.

20170428_165003_zpsvvfvzicd.jpg

20170428_173222_zpsotljai3b.jpg

20170428_173708_zpsoqqtrsnu.jpg

20170428_164815_zpszovvxy81.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hey Guys!
    I think I'm just late enough to make an entrance! LOL!!

Busy today. Make my weeks' worth of quinoa this morning while I was trying to drink my cup of coffee...then the shower, hair, dressed, etc...left for lunch...which was a lot of fun with my niece....then home, a bit of a rest and went out and cut the grass about 7:30 this evening. Did not get any trim work done as it was getting a bit late/darkish...

Made myself 2 burritos for dinner and 2 sides...corn and beets..odd combo I know, but they both needed to be eaten, soooooo.

Did a small bit of cleaning, and now I'm ready to call it a night.

Ed, sounds like you had an easy time with Ariel today. That's a good thing, and she's eating quite nicely it sounds like.

Roger...yep, salt, eggs, coffee, fat, protein....and more all have the ability to be great for you, have some more, OR eat that and die!!! LOL!!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's stupendous Saturday! 70 out there now, looking to a high of 86 with 30% chance of rain.

Need to clear the sink and pill Ariel with her daily Prednisone. So far looking good as far as yesterday's chemo, but today being day two is the day to really start watching for side effects.

Got the indoor plants watered. Just lurking at home waiting for a wine delivery otherwise.