Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,201 Member
    My toaster oven has an element on bottom and an element on top, with 4 settings: Toast, Warm, Bake, and Broil.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever used the "Warm" setting and I'd have to try to find the manual to see exactly how that works.

The "Toast" setting turns both elements on and does a pretty good job of toasting, though the bottom side does show some "grill" marks. It is only big enough for two standard bread slices, which, of course, are toasted directly on the rack.

The "Bake" function only uses the bottom element so it acts like a traditional oven, with heat from below that fills the compartment, and the "Broil" function only uses the top element, and works best if you can leave the door cracked open, since, in all settings, the elements are only on when the oven temperature strays a bit below the set temperature, and for proper broiling you generally want the element to stay on, so leaving the door cracked open allows enough heat out that it never actually turns off, and you get the nice, crispy broiled effect you want.

Obviously, your mileage may vary with a different toaster oven.

When I bought my first one, on sale for a ridiculous $14.99 I honestly didn't think I'd use it much but I quickly found that it is actually quite versatile and useful for cooking smaller amounts of food, such as broiling or baking just a couple of chicken thighs, or a piece of fish, for one or two servings, and works out well for this household.

I found myself using it a LOT more than I ever expected, and a lot more than I used the toaster!

I felt the same way about my first slow cooker, bought on sale for about the same, if not less, and, again, found that the little 1 to 1 1/2 qt one that I first bought did such a wonderful job on beans it wasn't long before I was trying other things and needed some larger ones. I now have three slow cookers in different sizes, biggest being 3 1/2 qt, two lunch crocks, that won't cook meat but can re-warm very nicely and some veggies, left in them long enough, can be cooked. They were great for the "add hot water" NS entrees and, with the usual add-ons, could make those entrees much nicer, and better cooked. They needed to warm in the lunch crocks for 2 to 3 hours but that was perfect for having lunch ready when you were.

And there is also one sauce/dip crock that I rarely use as it does not have a removable crock and is a pain to clean, not being immersible.

I highly recommend a toaster oven. I no longer have that first one as I finally wore it out, but the one for $39 (I think) that I replaced it with many years ago is still working fine. I hope I can find a similar model when I want another one.

It has cool grip side handles that let you completely slide out the only baking/toasting rack to easily remove the pan or toasted food.

I don't think they actually make it anymore, but it looks a lot like this one:

http://exacttoasteroven.blogspot.com/2009/09/sunbeam-cool-touch-handle-toaster-oven.html

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi Y'all!
    Well, I just lost my post...???? I think I must be touching something, but I don't know what!
    SO, I've been to Decatur for my hair cut, stopped at Aldi as I was passing by, and wanted some hummus, and I've done my walking at the gym.
    Just finished a big veg sandwich...it was really good, used that hummus instead of mayo :)
    And I DID toast my Ezekial bread, in my toaster oven, and Roger they have a top and bottom element, so its toasts both sides of the bread at one time. My toaster oven is a small, cheap one, that I got at either Home Depot or Lowes, don't remember which. Its a Black & Decker, and I think they are still around $30. It bakes, broils, and toasts. Toast settings light to dark. It is small as I said before, but it fits in my kitchen, and its just me...so small works. You can get bigger ones, that will hold a bigger pan for baking, etc. You just have to look around. Take a look at Amazon to see what's available, and what you think will work for you...then go find it in a store to be sure. :)

Time to feed Tom E. Cat and watch a video from a series I'm watching. (its a health video :) )

Tomorrow morning is hockey, but I'll see you sometime during the day...
    Later...
  • parityanimal
    My toaster oven doesn't actually have any toast darkness setting, you just have to learn by watching the first time you toast a given type of bread and can quickly learn how long to set it for. Most bread is toasted to my satisfaction in 5 minutes or so, though some takes a bit longer. I just have to check it to see.

• parityanimal
    edited September 2017
    MRE Menu 8 but video number 2. Clearly I have found these totally out of order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6R7ZsMchqE&list=PLkUFQm9t2lDUTkRGfLqVYuJgOi1P3Vt90&index=28
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 65 out there now with an expected high of 87 and 0% chance of rain. Got a little too much sun yesterday, but not too bad.

Woke up in the wee hours this morning with, apparently, low blood sugar. I had my glucose tablets handy by the bed though, so was able to get up, root around, find them and take one and then return to bed, and it didn't take long for the symptoms to subside and then I was able to get back to sleep. I didn't actually check my blood glucose, just trusted my gut and since the glucose tablet seems to have fixed the issue, I am pretty sure I was correct.

Laundry STILL waiting to be folded. LOL.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    xzXB5e.gif

4PUxYl.jpg

QOs3Sr.jpg

QyXDJk.gif

WW6SKC.jpg

2Gp5ir.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I did some walking this Morning and still + 0.01 Cents, Better than nothing. The temperature this morning was 70 on the news channel and 70 degrees on the front porch and back yard thermometer, humidity is still forecast to hang around for a few more days :(
    It is a gloomy looking day with Sunshine forecast for later on.

Interesting ? Links, I found them interesting :)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-bike-share-update-20170913-story.html
    Bike-share locks meet industry standards, but were no match for Baltimore thieves, manufacturer say
    Colin Campbell Contact Reporter The Baltimore Sun, September 13, 2017

Maine....
    http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Town-Leaders-Seek-to-Make-Selectwoman-the-Official-Title-444527893.html
    Town Leaders Seek to Make 'Selectwoman' the Official Title
    By Desiree Wiley, Published Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017

Not a surprise, Who wants to go where they have riots and confrontations.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/14/enrollment-drops-at-schools-known-for-social-justi/
    Enrollment drops at schools known for ‘social justice warfare’
    Sarah Boseley Health editor, Wednesday 13 September 2017 19.01 EDT

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    My toaster oven has an element on bottom and an element on top, with 4 settings: Toast, Warm, Bake, and Broil.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever used the "Warm" setting and I'd have to try to find the manual to see exactly how that works.

The "Toast" setting turns both elements on and does a pretty good job of toasting, though the bottom side does show some "grill" marks. It is only big enough for two standard bread slices, which, of course, are toasted directly on the rack.

The "Bake" function only uses the bottom element so it acts like a traditional oven, with heat from below that fills the compartment, and the "Broil" function only uses the top element, and works best if you can leave the door cracked open, since, in all settings, the elements are only on when the oven temperature strays a bit below the set temperature, and for proper broiling you generally want the element to stay on, so leaving the door cracked open allows enough heat out that it never actually turns off, and you get the nice, crispy broiled effect you want.

Obviously, your mileage may vary with a different toaster oven.
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the feedback and the link. I took a look at it and the reviews were mixed, especially regarding Toasting function. I Believe if/when I take the plunge I shall look at the reviews carefully before buying :)

It sounds as if You bought a Gem.
    When I bought my first one, on sale for a ridiculous $14.99 I honestly didn't think I'd use it much but I quickly found that it is actually quite versatile and useful for cooking smaller amounts of food, such as broiling or baking just a couple of chicken thighs, or a piece of fish, for one or two servings, and works out well for this household.

I found myself using it a LOT more than I ever expected, and a lot more than I used the toaster!

I felt the same way about my first slow cooker, bought on sale for about the same, if not less, and, again, found that the little 1 to 1 1/2 qt one that I first bought did such a wonderful job on beans it wasn't long before I was trying other things and needed some larger ones. I now have three slow cookers in different sizes, biggest being 3 1/2 qt, two lunch crocks, that won't cook meat but can re-warm very nicely and some veggies, left in them long enough, can be cooked. They were great for the "add hot water" NS entrees and, with the usual add-ons, could make those entrees much nicer, and better cooked. They needed to warm in the lunch crocks for 2 to 3 hours but that was perfect for having lunch ready when you were.

And there is also one sauce/dip crock that I rarely use as it does not have a removable crock and is a pain to clean, not being immersible.

I highly recommend a toaster oven. I no longer have that first one as I finally wore it out, but the one for $39 (I think) that I replaced it with many years ago is still working fine. I hope I can find a similar model when I want another one.

It has cool grip side handles that let you completely slide out the only baking/toasting rack to easily remove the pan or toasted food.

I don't think they actually make it anymore, but it looks a lot like this one:

http://exacttoasteroven.blogspot.com/2009/09/sunbeam-cool-touch-handle-toaster-oven.html
    I have a slow cooker and a rice cooker, currently residing in the cabinet under the oven. When I want to use them I pull one out and clutter the limited shelf area in the kitchen.

I will be honest if I had been thinking about it I might have passed on the Slow Cooker (crock pot to me) and used the rice cooker instead as it cooks for a while then switches to a warm setting to hold the foods ready to eat.
    My toaster oven doesn't actually have any toast darkness setting, you just have to learn by watching the first time you toast a given type of bread and can quickly learn how long to set it for. Most bread is toasted to my satisfaction in 5 minutes or so, though some takes a bit longer. I just have to check it to see.
    From the reviews on the link You posted the Toast setting was useless on that model anyway.
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 65 out there now with an expected high of 87 and 0% chance of rain. Got a little too much sun yesterday, but not too bad.

Woke up in the wee hours this morning with, apparently, low blood sugar. I had my glucose tablets handy by the bed though, so was able to get up, root around, find them and take one and then return to bed, and it didn't take long for the symptoms to subside and then I was able to get back to sleep. I didn't actually check my blood glucose, just trusted my gut and since the glucose tablet seems to have fixed the issue, I am pretty sure I was correct.

Laundry STILL waiting to be folded. LOL.
    The day started out warm with a light Fog and is forecast to be 80 or above for a high temperature. Normal high is 75 degrees FWIW.

You seem to have hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Y'all!
    Well, I just lost my post...???? I think I must be touching something, but I don't know what!
    SO, I've been to Decatur for my hair cut, stopped at Aldi as I was passing by, and wanted some hummus, and I've done my walking at the gym.
    Just finished a big veg sandwich...it was really good, used that hummus instead of mayo :)
    And I DID toast my Ezekial bread, in my toaster oven, and Roger they have a top and bottom element, so its toasts both sides of the bread at one time. My toaster oven is a small, cheap one, that I got at either Home Depot or Lowes, don't remember which. Its a Black & Decker, and I think they are still around $30. It bakes, broils, and toasts. Toast settings light to dark. It is small as I said before, but it fits in my kitchen, and its just me...so small works. You can get bigger ones, that will hold a bigger pan for baking, etc. You just have to look around. Take a look at Amazon to see what's available, and what you think will work for you...then go find it in a store to be sure. :)

Time to feed Tom E. Cat and watch a video from a series I'm watching. (its a health video :) )

Tomorrow morning is hockey, but I'll see you sometime during the day...
    Later...
    Hi Valerie
    If I said I had problems in the past with laptops due to the Touchpad...
    Could something like that be causing Your problem?

Small is good and Cheap is good too :) I am thinking if I go looking on Amazon that part of the specifications will be Height, Width, Depth and Wattage. I do know that if I buy one I will have to find someplace for it to be stored as My traditionalist brother would not use it preferring the toaster.

Tying into the one image I posted there is a eatery in the nearby area called Cahoots. I know them as I used to do maintenance on the computer they generated the menus on.

Enjoy the Hockey
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    P.S.
    The have now made two arrests in England relating to the Bombing as of this mornings news,

I am sitting here listening to the twist dial kitchen timer ticking. I am using the other computer in the basement to capture 4 audio tapes and the timer is to let me know when to go down and stop the recording, turn the tape over and Start the next side :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was looking on Amazon and found this combo two slice toast and small toaster oven, Hmm.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Toastation-Countertop-22708/dp/B000A1FFZE/ref=br_lf_m_4o98gwxqobpm4ra_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=kitchen

Hamilton Beach Toastation 2-Slice Toaster and Countertop Oven, Black (22708)
    4.1 out of 5 stars 2,269 customer reviews
    | 172 answered questions
    Price: $29.99
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hey! Good Morning! (well it Was morning a little bit ago) :)
    Hockey game done, and lost, :(, home and I've just finished lunch, heading shortly to the gym, and maybe some outdoor stuff, but guessing not...its warming very quickly out there...so tomorrow may be just fine!

Guess we pretty much covered the toaster ovens yesterday...LOL..I didn't see Ed's answer to Rogers post, so I put my big foot into the conversation...and today I see Ed's post.
    I will say that I had a Black & Decker that I totally wore out, and Benjamin wanting to be the 'good' roommate bought a much more 'sophisticated' and larger one...and the day he moved out I put it in the trash!!, went to one of the big box stores and bought another little Black & Decker!! They (toaster ovens) really do a nice job, and produce much less heat than running an oven in the summer. I think you need one!! :)

Supposed to be on St. Simons Island Oct. 3rd....and having doubts that it will happen? Same mess as last year, (which was at the end of October)...hurricane damage. I understand they are letting a few people on the island, and that they expect to be open for vacationers next week. Then I watched the news and weather while I had my lunch....there MAY BE another hurricane headed there too....what the heck???? My condo on Hilton Head just reopened yesterday...I've had that condo for 20 years, and the only hurricanes have occurred in the past 2 years. And of course not in the spring when I go. :)

Ok, gym time!!! Get it done, then I can loaf. (I did get my emails down to 3 unread as of breakfast this morning. Which only leaves 8500+ to either trash or file...I'll never get those caught up. I know certain defeat when I see it!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2017
    Roger, your brother might be OK with that one you found on Amazon, since it can toast in what looks like a "traditional" way. I didn't notice whether it can broil or just bake but if it would do what you want, then it sounds like a pretty good deal and seems to have a pretty good overall rating.

You could try reminding your brother that the "traditional" way of cooking toast was to hold your bread on a stick over the fire or mash the slices down on top of the hot wood stove but I suspect he doesn't want to go THAT traditional. :)

While my toaster oven looks a lot like the one I linked to, it does have some apparent differences. The left hand dial on mine is not for setting the toast darkness, but for selecting whether to toast, warm, bake, or broil, and the assumption, I guess, for toasting is that you time the first few passes manually and then learn how long to leave it in for any particular kind of bread.

Honestly, I've never found a regular toaster that could really be counted on to consistently toast the same type of bread the same way EVERY time, but seemed to, once in a while, just go berserk and either overtoast it or undertoast it, though I could usually find a setting that seemed to work most of the time. I still had to keep an eye on it to keep from having burned toast.

My toaster oven does share the fully removable baking rack with the cool grip handles, which was one of the reasons I chose it when I saw it. I believe it was about the same price as the one linked to and I did get it at Target, as one of the reviewers stated.

Other than the left dial being different, it looks very similar to the one pictured.

• GardenKatGardens
    Oh, Roger, Yes...I do believe the touch pad has a LOT to do with weird stuff happening to my posts!!
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2017
    ukze49rjx4ou.jpeg
  • parityanimal
    edftu12cinr2.jpeg

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

62 out there now with an expected high of 87 and 0% chance of rain.

Need to call the vet and have Lilo checked over. She's been having some apparent musculoskeletal difficulties with walking (the hind legs) and control, especially, of one of her legs. She's a Manx so it could be related to that since they are known to sometimes develop issues with age, as the spine can be odd at the rear and arthritic or other conditions can develop with age.

She also seems to be drinking a lot of water and not eating as much as normal, though she does eat. Some of this could also be stress and/or too much scuffling around with Kiara, though she was showing a few issues with the one hind leg before Kiara moved in, but we just thought she had sprained it.

The vet, at that time, did discuss some shots that I could give her at home, every other day, and hopefully we can go that route or perhaps some prednisone every other day.

She is nearly 15 years old so may also just be old age in general starting to set in.

This morning I locked Kiara in the master bedroom to keep her from bothering Lilo, at least for a while.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...