Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    g3T1QZ.gif

z57IX7.jpg

zGn59U.jpg

UE8qhW.jpg

aleQZb.jpg

DAHT8W.gif

NkoAul.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi! Little after lunch? No, a little after my dinner!
    Worked outside in the yard this morning, a little more to do tomorrow. And, I've been to the gym, and unloaded the dishwasher, and washed a load of clothes...they're still in the dryer, I see 'fluffing' in my future. :)
    I ate a durian once, long ago. I remember it stinking to high H3LL, but the flesh is tasty. I don't recall it being pricy, but then I was making nice money...One of my co-workers was from Thailand, and he went with me to Harry's...Which became Whole Foods later down the road, and helped me choose one...then came to the house and showed me how to cut one up...and encouraged me to try eating it! I've not had one since. I think I probably will not ever have another!:) Ted and I bought Mangosteens at one of the stores at Azzi on Pleasant Hill...yep, mild, a lot like lychee's
    Hi Valerie
    I have heard that the Durians stink :)

I suspect that would be a killer for me stinking up the house.

I may have to try Mangosteens if I ever see them locally. The ones on Amazon have to large a quantity to buy just to taste.
    Ed, hope the Vet can pull some magic out of his coat pocket and help Lilo. I know of Manx, but not a lot about Manx.
    Which reminds me...I need to feed Tom E. his dinner too...
    Ok, Tom E. now happily chowing down on Chicken and Duck Entree...he'll eat about half, then come harass me for a treat, followed by finishing his Chicken and Duck, and another pestering or two before I invite him back outdoors for the night! He's a pill!!!

I really hate all of this monument business, I really believe a lot of it is media generated. If you've never been, Monument Ave. In Richmond VA is a beautiful tree lined boulevard with Civil War Generals on their horses statues. All the winning Generals facing North, and the Confederates facing South. I've also been to the Confederate Museum (Richmond as you recall was the capitol of the Confederacy... it was a real thing...it happened. Right or Wrong it is history. You can't make it change by removing all symbolism of the War. Reminds me a whole lot like the burning of history and other books, or the burning (melting) of records from early Rock and Roll, and those things happened too. and in my opinion burning books didn't do diddly squat about changing what was, and it surely did not slow down music!!

You both know I'll not be in a hamburger eating contest! LOL!!!

Ok, Tom E is now sleeping on the couch. I'll get my dinner dishes rinsed, etc, and that load of clothes fluffed and folded, and then I'll wake him and invite him outdoors. Tomorrow I have a Chiro appointment, need to gas the car, want to see if I can find Swiss Chard plants to grow, and buy seed if I can't find the plants...also some lettuce seed. One year my DIL planted a galvanized tub of just green leaf lettuce...it was beautiful all winter. (I"m hoping to find 'Rainbow Chard' as they will be planted up by the mailbox) I've planted Chard there before and they look pretty all winter. And there's already a nice sized Rosemary growing there, which stays green all winter as well...

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I agree, IMO the Civil War monument push has one ultimate goal, To sow dissension by some background group. I could also be wrong, OTOH I have seen reports that many of the protesters at different types of protests are bused in and paid to show up.

If I said I do not remember the Burning or melting of records... I will have to look that up. OK, I took a quick look and was unsuccessful locating anything. Do You recall details as to who or when that might narrow my search ?

I was looking at the Raspberries while mowing and took a few minutes to pick and eat the ripe ones :)

I also noticed where something, I suspect Deer FWIW, have been eating the leaves off of my Brothers Beet Plants :(
    I had to put fencing around the Columnar Apple trees last year as they were eating the leaves off of them.

Our Rosemary and Sage overwinter OK too, They seem to be fairly hardy.

I did see Two Deer grazing along one of the brooks I crossed over, A Mother and a Young one. I noticed them when I looked over the side of the bridge. They must have really good vision, I was well above them and as soon as I looked over the side they both turned their heads and stared at me til I moved on.

Good Luck with Your Plants Search
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,206 Member
    edited September 2017
    RogerToo wrote: »
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/18/hackers-malware-pc-ccleaner/
    Hackers Have Successfully Hidden Malware In Popular PC Cleanup Tool

I don't think it's the first time that something like this has happened, not necessarily to THAT particular company of course...and of course the hackers are always infesting sites with pop-ups that claim you're infected so you'll download some bogus software that will, of course, infect you...but it's really embarrassing for the legitimate software vendors when they get hacked, and could even bring the company down as trust dwindles, if that's the only software they make and people might stop buying it.

Well, since the end of the world is supposed to be this Saturday, the food doesn't have to last all that long! :)
    We've bought HUGE bottles of sriracha and kept them way past their supposed "best by" date and they were fine. Glad to see that the article kind of validated that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4486596/thrillseeker-killed-mechanical-arm-haunted-house-fairground-ride/
    THEME PARK TRAGEDYThrillseeker, 21, ‘killed by moving coffin’ as he walked through a haunted house fairground ride
    The victim was reportedly hit by machinery inside an attraction called 'Buried Alive' at Hong Kong’s Ocean Park

I guess he got more of a thrill than he wanted...but it sounds like he was getting into areas he wasn't supposed to be in, which is tragically not an uncommon cause of injury or death. :(

Sadly
    http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article173844011.html
    For eight months, a Lenexa man’s body sat in a KCI parking lot. His family asks why

That's just...well, you'd think someone would have noticed LONG before that! That's just terrible.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

63 out there now with an expected high of 88 and no chance of rain.

I'm expecting a crate of wine today, and, of course, we have to take Lilo to the vet. So if I'm not home to sign, I'm sure they'll come again tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll come while we're here. I also need to get to the grocery store but that can wait until I'm sure the wine is safely delivered, or until delivery has been attempted anyway...

This crate includes my first annual free bottle for being a member of the founders club in my wine club that claims not to be a club but is really one anyway.

The free bottle is a $49.00 bottle of French Champagne. I know that's redundant, as all true Champagne is French, but there are upstarts in the U.S. who have the temerity to call themselves producing CALIFORNIA Champagne and NEW YORK Champagne, which just would not fly in Europe, as these would have to, properly, be called just sparkling wine. Internationally speaking, if it's not produced in that specific region of France, it's not Champagne, even if it did use the same grapes and is sparkling.
    Hi Ed
    I have heard that about Champagne, However The locally produced New York State is good enough for me at New Years :)
    The rest of the crate, 14 additional bottles, is all wines I've selected from the available reds, whites, and pinks that they list online.

I rarely do a "build your own" crate, only doing so normally when they have a special sale, with extra reduced prices for a limited selection. I can usually find 15 bottles that I know I'll like (or can give some as gifts) then and save on them, sometimes getting a few that I don't usually have.

Normally, they have a number of pre-selected (they call them "curated") crates with varieties that someone there has decided are a good deal, and you can usually select all red, all white, or mixed (white includes the pink in those cases, if any pink is included at all, which is, itself, rare) and it will be a selection that may be 3 each of 5 varieties, 15 mixed with 10 or so different wines, 2 bottles of some of them, or perhaps 5 each of 3 varieties. I can usually wait until they have a really great deal on one of those and save a lot.

And sometimes they'll have a 3, 6, 8, or 12 pack of selected wines, at an extra discount, but usually it's 15 bottles per crate as the shipping is included and it's more cost effective to send a larger crate.

On this "birthday" order I also used my 5% kickback from all the wine I bought in the anniversary year and so am getting 15 bottles of wine, all selected personally by me, except for the free Champagne, for only $56 and change. Pretty good deal!

I heard the toaster oven ding so the rest of my breakfast is ready.
    Enjoy the discounted wine, Nothing wrong with getting a bargain :)
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Well, we got Lilo to the vet and back. We have some shots to give her at home (she had the first one at the vet) over a staggered period, to see if they'll help her arthritis. She also generously donated some urine, because she's been drinking a lot and there has been more urination than normal. Her blood sugar was perfect, but they're checking for a UTI. Kiara has kept her kind of stressed out so we think that a UTI is not unlikely, though she hasn't been spotting and we haven't seen any blood in the urine. The blood might just not be visible, so we'll see what they get on that.

I'll be giving her the shots, as I've had what medical training there is in this house (quite a bit actually, trained at one point to be a medical assistant) and, being diabetic, have no issues with needles at all. Also, I gave our first cat subcutaneous fluid treatments for 6 months so I have a good handle on it.

The doctor told me I can give her these shots subcutaneous too, even though the guidelines for the med say intramuscular. I'm good with either, but subcutaneous is easier so that's how we'll go. She'll be less likely to notice and complain too.

And the wine was not delivered (nor, apparently, attempted) while we were out. It still shows as "out for delivery" on the tracking.

I might not get to the grocery until after rush hour tonight.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Australian Finger Lime. I have not even heard of this one until now, and certainly haven't eaten it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OARv4Tiimfs&list=PLkUFQm9t2lDWCODjmylgzn4fDPeAnVK5h&index=9
  • parityanimal
    Ugli. Yes, it's very ugly, but quite tasty. I have eaten these, more than once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJ1Z7_QuiY&list=PLkUFQm9t2lDWCODjmylgzn4fDPeAnVK5h&index=10
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2017
    Jackfruit chips? Had to watch for myself to see what this is. I knew what a jackfruit was, but nothing about chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KvALWp2gcU&index=11&list=PLkUFQm9t2lDWCODjmylgzn4fDPeAnVK5h
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

66 now with an expected high of 88 and 20% chance of rain.

Definitely need to get out to the store this morning. I'll get on that...maybe after my second cup of tea. On the first cup now.

• parityanimal
    The jackfruit chips looked interesting. Wonder if Trader Joe's still carries those?

Here we see fresh jackfruit. I have cut up and eaten one of these. It's messy and sticky but the orange fruit part is amazing. Quite tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feOydhYfX84&index=12&list=PLkUFQm9t2lDWCODjmylgzn4fDPeAnVK5h
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I did some walking this Morning and + 5 Cents, The forecast rain failed to make it to my part of NJ, It did rain along the NJ Shore. There was a moderate breeze courtesy of Jose. The temperature this morning was 71 on the news channel and 70 degrees on the front porch and back yard thermometer, humidity is still forecast to hang around for another day or two :(

It is a partly cloudy day, The clouds related to Jose's approach have moved away from here.

on a recent news broadcast the Young Lady made a slight or not so slight boo boo. She talked about a rare Suma Tran Tiger Cub. I looked at my brother and said what the heck. He Said she meant a Sumatran Tiger Cub :)
    I see grammar, pronunciation or Spelling errors on the News broadcasts daily. I am thinking if this is the caliber of News Broadcasters in a Major Market like New York City what is it like in smaller markets ?

Interesting ? Link, I found it interesting :)
    http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/09/16/diabetes-spikes-among-mississippi-children-and-no-one-knows-why/665235001/
    Diabetes spikes among Mississippi children and no one knows why
    Sarah Fowler, The Clarion-Ledger Published 6:00 p.m. CT Sept. 16, 2017 | Updated 2:50 p.m. CT Sept. 18, 2017

I found this to be weird
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/illegal-immigrants-storm-pelosi-press-conference-say-democrats-are-a-deportation-machine/article/2634772
    b]Illegal immigrants storm Pelosi press conference, say Democrats are a 'deportation machine' [/b]
    by Anna Giaritelli | Sep 18, 2017, 2:13 PM

Sorry for the Political bit, It struck me a weird

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Uqouf6.gif

k1hdmr.jpg

PQ42XA.gif

NxMscd.gif

d7Pgry.jpg

xcntoZ.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Well, we got Lilo to the vet and back. We have some shots to give her at home (she had the first one at the vet) over a staggered period, to see if they'll help her arthritis. She also generously donated some urine, because she's been drinking a lot and there has been more urination than normal. Her blood sugar was perfect, but they're checking for a UTI. Kiara has kept her kind of stressed out so we think that a UTI is not unlikely, though she hasn't been spotting and we haven't seen any blood in the urine. The blood might just not be visible, so we'll see what they get on that.

I'll be giving her the shots, as I've had what medical training there is in this house (quite a bit actually, trained at one point to be a medical assistant) and, being diabetic, have no issues with needles at all. Also, I gave our first cat subcutaneous fluid treatments for 6 months so I have a good handle on it.

The doctor told me I can give her these shots subcutaneous too, even though the guidelines for the med say intramuscular. I'm good with either, but subcutaneous is easier so that's how we'll go. She'll be less likely to notice and complain too.

And the wine was not delivered (nor, apparently, attempted) while we were out. It still shows as "out for delivery" on the tracking.

I might not get to the grocery until after rush hour tonight.
    Hi Ed
    Arthritis, It could be better and it could be worse. I never did see blood when I had a UTI.

Hopefully Your wine arrives OK. I have had things show out for delivery and then delivered. Where those were delivered I do not know, What I do know is they went astray until I brought it to the attention of the shipper and they had the package traced then they showed up on another day.

If there is not reason to to be out in the Rush Hour traffic I avoid it.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

66 now with an expected high of 88 and 20% chance of rain.

Definitely need to get out to the store this morning. I'll get on that...maybe after my second cup of tea. On the first cup now.
    They were showing a 20% chance of rain and similar temperatures as in Your forecast.

Have a Good Day

Hi Valerie
  • RogerToo
    Before I forget to mention this, I was looking out the Picture window in the Living Room before I went walking I saw a group of Deer Running down the street.
  • parityanimal
    Hi
    I did some walking this Morning and + 5 Cents, The forecast rain failed to make it to my part of NJ, It did rain along the NJ Shore. There was a moderate breeze courtesy of Jose. The temperature this morning was 71 on the news channel and 70 degrees on the front porch and back yard thermometer, humidity is still forecast to hang around for another day or two :(

5 cents! Wow! You're rich! You're wealthy! You're socially secure! (to quote - or probably misquote - Daffy Duck from a cartoon where he tries to claim a cave full of treasure)

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/09/16/diabetes-spikes-among-mississippi-children-and-no-one-knows-why/665235001/
    Diabetes spikes among Mississippi children and no one knows why
    Sarah Fowler, The Clarion-Ledger Published 6:00 p.m. CT Sept. 16, 2017 | Updated 2:50 p.m. CT Sept. 18, 2017

There has been a lot of research into causes for type 1. Some speculation is that an as yet unknown disease may cause the body to simply shut down the pancreas, and some think there may be something in the environment or food/water that causes an issue with that organ but there almost has to still be a genetic factor as well, since all the children aren't coming down with it. Perhaps it's a combination of genetic and external factors.

I know with type 2 that people still have the misconception that it's always brought on by overeating, particularly of starchy foods, but while it's true that this can aggravate the condition or even seem to cause it, there are people who can gobble up whatever they want with no issues while others, at some point in their aging, find that they have to watch their carbs more and more closely if they want to keep it under control. Even if you can stave off symptoms, you may never be diagnosed as diabetic but that doesn't mean that it's not lurking there, waiting to pop out if you lose control and start overindulging.

There is also a mis-conception that you can "cure" type 2 by a strict dietary and/or supplement regimen, along with exercise, but this isn't the case. You can sometimes control the condition, but it's not a cure. The same goes for "reversing" diabetes. It's not reversed, it's just well controlled.

Unfortunately, these methods don't necessarily work for everyone either and some people who already watch their carbs and do all the "right" things still develop type 2 that can't seem to be controlled without medications and/or insulin, so, again, there's got to be a genetic factor there.

I'm so glad to see that they have the mentoring program for young diabetics and their families. When my younger sister, E, developed type 1 at about age 13 we did not have anything like that, as far as I can recall. When she came home from the hospital (she was in a mostly comatose state, blood glucose almost off the scale when she went in) she had received instruction on how to give herself insulin shots, and how to measure and count carbs, as well as how to check her blood glucose levels with a urine test, as they didn't have handy meters that you could just put a drop of blood into. The urine test wasn't really a great indicator as it couldn't show how much was currently in your blood, but just how much had been filtered out by the kidneys, and then estimate from that. Not the most reliable and besides, who can pee on demand?

She did, of course, manage to learn how to cope, and my mother learned how to take care of, and feed, a young diabetic. And at about 13, E was mature enough to handle it all. I'm sure it would have been much more difficult at 4 or 5 years old.

The NutriSystem plan was, I believe, originally developed as much for help with control/staving off of type 2 diabetes as for weight control, as the two can be very much related.

I found this to be weird
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/illegal-immigrants-storm-pelosi-press-conference-say-democrats-are-a-deportation-machine/article/2634772
    b]Illegal immigrants storm Pelosi press conference, say Democrats are a 'deportation machine' [/b]
    by Anna Giaritelli | Sep 18, 2017, 2:13 PM

Sorry for the Political bit, It struck me a weird

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger

Interesting article regarding the "deportation machine"...I know the illegal immigrants are frightened, and doing what they think they need to do. That's about all I can really say about that subject.

• parityanimal
    My wine arrived "OK" in the sense that the package arrived, but when opened it was missing one bottle that I had really looked forward to receiving. I did get the champagne though. :)

And, of course, I immediately emailed the wine club to inform them that the package was missing that bottle and asking for a replacement or whatever other options they might have for that. I'd prefer a replacement but a credit to my card would be equally acceptable.

• parityanimal
    Well, Lilo does have another (or the same) UTI. They sold me some Clavamox tablets to give her (twice a day) while they culture the urine to see what would be the best, if Clavamox isn't already the best. So in addition to, for a while, giving her a shot every four days at home, I'll be giving her the Clavamox pills twice a day until we get the culture back and then, probably/hopefully, get additional Clavamox to continue the treatment over a full regimen of 10 days or 14, whichever they recommend.

The missing bottle of wine was priced at only $6.95. It was the cheapest one in the order but I was seriously looking forward to that one as I don't get Bobal very often. At any rate, the wine club responded with a $10 credit to use on my next purchase, whenever that may be. Probably won't be for a couple of months at least, but since it's a bigger value than the cost of the wine, I'm happy with it.

And they may have one of their 3 bottle or 6 bottle special deals on one that I like so I might not have to buy a whole crate of 15 to use it.