Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    LOL. Already stole the "dirty underwear" and the hazardous waste cleanup cartoons!

Why not :)
  • RogerToo
    I fiddled around all day, and didn't even go to the gym...but at 5p.m I did decide to run over to Krogers!! Oh my heavens!! I did not expect the crowd, said the woman who goes mornings or early afternoons! Got everything I need, but may make an Aldi's run for their $1.25 black berries and raspberries:). I picked up a bag of chips on the 'reduced' isle...Falafel Chips. Organic, yadda yadda, I didn't see the word 'SPICY' until I had one in my mouth! I was as funny as those kids trying spicy hot foods. I think they might be good...not too sure, as they're too hot to tell...SO ED! if you'd like to meet an old lady behind Trader Joe's next week, boy do I have a hot gift for you!!! LOL!!!
    ALso I really scored with my Kroger coupons...I had one for $5.00 and one for a free Sabra Hummus, (valued at $3.99) the other 5 or 6 were more in the $1.25 range...so when it was all totaled up my savings was $22.39 if you included the store card savings...or $17.39 if only counting coupons. Then, something I'd never really noticed...at the very bottom after the Fuel points, It says my Annual card savings is $370.36. That's nothing to sneeze at!
    Ok, I'm going to open the refrigerator and pluck out something for dinner!

Oh, enjoyed the cane making process! Sorry I already have my cane...its metal, dark purple with a shade darker sort of 'marled' pattern. Haven't needed it for quite some time, but keep it handy just in case I do need it again.

See you tomorrow!
    Hi Valerie
    I hate it when I do that, I have also ended up gifting foods where I did not notice hot or spicy to my brother. I tell him they are to hot for me and then calls them bland. What can I expect from someone that gets the small container of hot Chilli oil with his Chinese Takeout.

Yea for Savings. I do that as much as possible. I try and hit the local Grocery store on my walk on Wednesday to get the extra 5% discount otherwise I use their tag to get a 2%. If I remember I can stack them for a total of 7% :)

I have a cane in the car just in case, I held onto the Fiberglass one that was handed out by works clinic back in the 80s to 90s. It is heavy enough to serve as a decent weapon.

I would not be surprised if some of the crowd at Kroger's was due to holiday shopping for a New Years Eve party or New Years day meal.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    edited December 2017
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I have a cane in the car just in case, I held onto the Fiberglass one that was handed out by works clinic back in the 80s to 90s. It is heavy enough to serve as a decent weapon.

I would not be surprised if some of the crowd at Kroger's was due to holiday shopping for a New Years Eve party or New Years day meal.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

I've never tried a fiberglass cane. One lady at the IRS, when I worked there, used a transparent lucite or acrylic cane. I never asked which it was, but it looked pretty sturdy, as long as you didn't think of it as looking like glass.

I remember one year, when I thought I had dried black eyed peas, but discovered, on New Years Eve, that I did NOT have any. Hurrying to my good old reliable Kroger store I found the dried black eyed pea shelf cleared. Thinking that it was OK as I could get frozen, I found the frozen black eyed pea shelf cleared.

I finally found ONE LONELY CAN of black eyed peas that had not been snapped up by shoppers getting ready for the new year, and put that in my cart with the other groceries I needed. On my way through the store I heard a man asking, in the produce department, if they had any collard greens and was thinking..."Good luck with that on New Years Eve!" as they had been wiped out as well.

Right around New Years is about the only time my Kroger has the hog jowl bacon, or solid, smoked hog jowl, though I can sometimes find it at Publix other times of year.

People around here take their New Years food very seriously.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi! Late arrival here, present and accounted for :)
    Cute hair style today, its growing into my ideas of a 'short bob'! This has been easier than anticipated, and fairly painless! The shop wasn't busy, and Jimmy and I laughed about some of the things from our days in Lab school! The two of us were a terror!!! Then on to Whole Food. I got a BIG box of Chicken Fried Tofu, with Vegan Mac & Cheese, and a few bites of a stuffing like stuff that was mostly corn, and also about 8 big fat roasted Brussels Sprouts....Will be about 3 maybe 4 dinners. (Cooks days off), I also stopped at Publix on my way home, for lottery tickets. When these two current games are finished off as they are won, I will not be buying any more lottery tickets. The reason the two jackpots are so large, is they have changed the # of #'s to play, thereby decreasing the likely hood of having winners. And now both games are $2 a ticket....nope! I saw them do this with the one I used to play (Fantasy Five) and it ruined the game.
    BUT....my 'find' at Publix has already been eaten!!! You know I love Peeps..the marshmallow ones...well, feature Candy Cane Peeps!!! So the Peeps are done til Easter! And in the interest of honesty...I bought one slice of Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie while at Whole Food. Have that in the refrig for tomorrow's dessert. (Their Bourbon sugar roasted pecans are Delicious, I buy them at Christmas or Thanksgiving time to put on the top of my salads for the family dinners. Too good!!! So I'm expecting the pie to be over the top sweet. May not be able to eat the small slice in on sitting!!!

Other than that...I've enjoyed the jokes and your posts over dinner. Looking forward to tomorrows selections!!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

30 out there now with an expected high of only 37 and 10% chance of precipitation.

Happy New Year's Eve! My champagne is chilling in the fridge, I need to get out the ham and hog jowl, and soak the black eyed peas for tomorrow.

At this point, not sure whether J is coming home tonight or not. He may stay another week. It's really cold in Kentucky right now and he sure doesn't want to get stranded somewhere along the way in that kind of temperature.

I'd love for him to be home for New Year's but safety is more important and I can hold the fort another week.

Aldi, Publix, Target and Walgreens are all within walking distance, so even if I have vehicle issues I should be fine. And there's always Uber or Lyft!

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2017
    14 kitchen gadgets put to the test. At least that's what it's called, but they are really just quick commercials, it looks like to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwuxezYE3A
  • parityanimal
    People who hate cats meet kittens. The first one starts out right away showing clearly how much she doesn't understand cats...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EwZWWRA-U
  • parityanimal
    Ernie cooks deep fried food!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcpqd5fIpXM
  • RogerToo
    oYcPqG.jpg

5UuJva.jpg

uq1BCf.jpg

X4lFSz.jpg

oIgxUB.gif

QeZT3H.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2017
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning, It was chilly to say the least. The temperature this morning was 12 on the porch and 15 on the cable channel. It could be worse the wind that was blowing yesterday is much lighter. The snow yesterday left around a inch here. The traction for walking this morning was fine. The Daily Highs are forecast to be lower than the normal high until at least January 8, 2018 :(
    Tomorrow morning is predicted to be a lower temperature than today.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/12/28/record-breaking-winter-cold-dont-worry-the-climate-explainers-have-it-covered/
    Record Breaking Winter Cold? Don’t Worry, the Climate Explainers Have it Covered
    Eric Worrall / December 28, 2017

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/28/healthier-fry-ups-table-scientific-breakthrough-cuts-cancer/
    Healthier fry-ups on table as scientific breakthrough cuts cancer risk from bacon

http://www.whas11.com/television/programs/the411/hometown-hero-local-author-sue-grafton-dies-at-77/503224355
    Hometown Hero, local author Sue Grafton dies at 77
    Sherlene Shanklin, WHAS 5:36 PM. EST December 29, 2017

Have a Great SundayAKA New Years Eve
    Roger
  • RogerToo

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

I've never tried a fiberglass cane. One lady at the IRS, when I worked there, used a transparent lucite or acrylic cane. I never asked which it was, but it looked pretty sturdy, as long as you didn't think of it as looking like glass.

I remember one year, when I thought I had dried black eyed peas, but discovered, on New Years Eve, that I did NOT have any. Hurrying to my good old reliable Kroger store I found the dried black eyed pea shelf cleared. Thinking that it was OK as I could get frozen, I found the frozen black eyed pea shelf cleared.

I finally found ONE LONELY CAN of black eyed peas that had not been snapped up by shoppers getting ready for the new year, and put that in my cart with the other groceries I needed. On my way through the store I heard a man asking, in the produce department, if they had any collard greens and was thinking..."Good luck with that on New Years Eve!" as they had been wiped out as well.

Right around New Years is about the only time my Kroger has the hog jowl bacon, or solid, smoked hog jowl, though I can sometimes find it at Publix other times of year.

People around here take their New Years food very seriously.
    Hi Ed
    Interesting that the shelves get cleaned out like that, You would expect that based on previous years they would know to have an adequate stock on hand.

I can understand the rationale behind having specialty foods on hand such as the Hog Jowl Bacon.

30 out there now with an expected high of only 37 and 10% chance of precipitation.

Happy New Year's Eve! My champagne is chilling in the fridge, I need to get out the ham and hog jowl, and soak the black eyed peas for tomorrow.

At this point, not sure whether J is coming home tonight or not. He may stay another week. It's really cold in Kentucky right now and he sure doesn't want to get stranded somewhere along the way in that kind of temperature.

I'd love for him to be home for New Year's but safety is more important and I can hold the fort another week.

Aldi, Publix, Target and Walgreens are all within walking distance, so even if I have vehicle issues I should be fine. And there's always Uber or Lyft!
    Every year they bring up that Uber and Lyft do surge pricing that raises costs for a ride around New Years Eve. I also recall that certain hours with high demand also have the raised prices.

Walking distance is cheaper :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi! Late arrival here, present and accounted for :)
    Cute hair style today, its growing into my ideas of a 'short bob'! This has been easier than anticipated, and fairly painless! The shop wasn't busy, and Jimmy and I laughed about some of the things from our days in Lab school! The two of us were a terror!!! Then on to Whole Food. I got a BIG box of Chicken Fried Tofu, with Vegan Mac & Cheese, and a few bites of a stuffing like stuff that was mostly corn, and also about 8 big fat roasted Brussels Sprouts....Will be about 3 maybe 4 dinners. (Cooks days off), I also stopped at Publix on my way home, for lottery tickets. When these two current games are finished off as they are won, I will not be buying any more lottery tickets. The reason the two jackpots are so large, is they have changed the # of #'s to play, thereby decreasing the likely hood of having winners. And now both games are $2 a ticket....nope! I saw them do this with the one I used to play (Fantasy Five) and it ruined the game.
    BUT....my 'find' at Publix has already been eaten!!! You know I love Peeps..the marshmallow ones...well, feature Candy Cane Peeps!!! So the Peeps are done til Easter! And in the interest of honesty...I bought one slice of Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie while at Whole Food. Have that in the refrig for tomorrow's dessert. (Their Bourbon sugar roasted pecans are Delicious, I buy them at Christmas or Thanksgiving time to put on the top of my salads for the family dinners. Too good!!! So I'm expecting the pie to be over the top sweet. May not be able to eat the small slice in on sitting!!!

Other than that...I've enjoyed the jokes and your posts over dinner. Looking forward to tomorrows selections!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    How handy that You were able to get enough food You like to save some time in the kitchen :)

I love Roasted Brussels sprouts. My brother buys the Yellow Peeps every Easter along with a Chocolate Rabbit and Jelly beans since he is a traditionalist.

I agree, a Pox on the changes to the lotteries, Who needs them.

Cheers
    bn1Jmh.jpg
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Interesting that the shelves get cleaned out like that, You would expect that based on previous years they would know to have an adequate stock on hand.

I can understand the rationale behind having specialty foods on hand such as the Hog Jowl Bacon.

Every year they bring up that Uber and Lyft do surge pricing that raises costs for a ride around New Years Eve. I also recall that certain hours with high demand also have the raised prices.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I know that sometimes the store may order what they think is enough of something, like black eyed peas, and the distributor may have a shortage. Of course you'd think the distributors would have plenty on hand for upcoming holidays too, but then it goes back to the packager, and eventually to the farmer. All it takes is one break in the supply chain and maybe the truckers might not have been able to come, due to bad weather.

I know that one year I heard the one of the meat department people at Kroger telling a manager that they were out of corned beef (and it was still a day or two before St. Patrick's Day) because they didn't get as much as they had ordered. And sometimes the company would have too much of something and they'd get overstocked because the store received a lot that they didn't necessarily order and have to have a quick markdown sale, before the meat went over. A win for the customer but not so much for the company profits. That's when I buy up and stock the freezer without having to buy from the "used" meat section!

I had not heard of the surge pricing for Uber and Lyft, but wouldn't be surprised. I know in Memphis though that they used to have at least one taxi company that had free cab service on New Years for anyone so intoxicated that they couldn't drive.

I have discovered, on feeding the pigs...er, cats, that I need to get to the pet food store today, or at least Walgreens, to buy them a little food. I gave them the last of the canned food this morning. Walgreens is more expensive but closer, and both are within walking distance if I want to walk that far in the cold. I'll probably drive and maybe pick up some bulkier/heavier items on the same trip.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi!
    Wow! Lots of reading today! The little kid who 'cooked'...could they not have found something a tad more healthful than to teach him how to deep fry??? (Thats as ridiculous as me buying chicken fried tofu!) :)
    Or Canadian Whisky made in USA!! LOL! or the door lock directly behind the door handle so you can't insert a key! (Thats logic for ya!)
    Actually I enjoyed them and laughed at them all

Fixed myself a very late breakfast of avocado toast with mustard sprouts, and a big arugula salad with sliced beets, minced red onion, and some 'vegan Ranch Dressing'. The dressing is quite good, but its not Ranch!! :) I"ll make it again I'm sure, as it is quite tasty...but I'll have to think up a new name for it.

My car is on vacation today, and its early afternoon, and I've yet to get out of my robe and fleecy pj's! Soon though as I need to go out and empty the rain gauge! Its got a ping pong ball floating in it, but I think it could still easily crach the clear plastic if not tonite, then tomorrow night when its predicted to be 17 degrees. YIKES....thats COLD.

I need to look up the time for the Rose Bowl tomorrow, as GA is playing. And I need to check to see if the Outdoor NHL hockey game is going to be played today or tomorrow. AND I need to check on my frozen collard greens to see how long they need to be cooked...the corn bread is made, and the black-eyed peas are canned, so no sweat there!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Happy New Year!

oh8k994cbs7r.jpg
  • RogerToo
    zNU1Ly.png

P25woF.png
    Not my caption FWIW

b5AkMz.png

hEs2dG.png

FCZtom.png

JkhdwL.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning, It was more than chilly to say the least. The temperature this morning was 5 on the porch and 7 on the cable channel. the one things that helped was that the light wind that was blowing yesterday Gone On my return to the house the Cable channel was showing 6 degrees and the Porch was showing 2.5 Degrees. The snow was unchanged from yesterday and the traction for walking this morning was fine. The Daily Highs are forecast to be lower than the normal high until at least January 8, 2018 with lower temperatures forecast for later this week :(
    I am happy that I was wearing thermals under my walking Pants and for the upper half 4 layers, 5 if You count the Reflective safety vest :)
    Epmrc8.jpg

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/piercing-cold-blast-to-feel-subzero-in-central-northeastern-us-in-time-for-2018/70003687
    Piercing cold blast to feel subzero in central, northeastern US in time for 2018
    By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather senior meteorologist
    December 31, 2017, 3:59:38 AM EST

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5235763/niagara-falls-frozen-temperature-united-states-mars-freezing/
    blew year's eve Britain warned Storm Dylan may be ‘danger to life’ as extreme weather hits across the globe
    Niagra Falls is frozen over with parts of the United States are now colder than the surface of Mars, while southern Europe's enjoying a balmy 20C
    By Neal Baker and Ben Perrin
    Updated: 31st December 2017, 9:18 am

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/30/us/new-state-laws-2018-trnd/index.html
    Who gets the dog in a divorce and other state laws going into effect in 2018
    By Madison Park, CNN
    Updated 10:38 AM ET, Sat December 30, 2017

This was on the News Last Night, I am not planning to go BTW
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/naked-gym-classes-offered-new-york-article-1.3726326
    Naked gym classes now offered in New York
    BY Constance Gibbs, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, December 29, 2017, 3:57 PM

Have a Great Sunday AKA New Years Eve
    Roger
  • RogerToo

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I know that sometimes the store may order what they think is enough of something, like black eyed peas, and the distributor may have a shortage. Of course you'd think the distributors would have plenty on hand for upcoming holidays too, but then it goes back to the packager, and eventually to the farmer. All it takes is one break in the supply chain and maybe the truckers might not have been able to come, due to bad weather.

I know that one year I heard the one of the meat department people at Kroger telling a manager that they were out of corned beef (and it was still a day or two before St. Patrick's Day) because they didn't get as much as they had ordered. And sometimes the company would have too much of something and they'd get overstocked because the store received a lot that they didn't necessarily order and have to have a quick markdown sale, before the meat went over. A win for the customer but not so much for the company profits. That's when I buy up and stock the freezer without having to buy from the "used" meat section!

I had not heard of the surge pricing for Uber and Lyft, but wouldn't be surprised. I know in Memphis though that they used to have at least one taxi company that had free cab service on New Years for anyone so intoxicated that they couldn't drive.

I have discovered, on feeding the pigs...er, cats, that I need to get to the pet food store today, or at least Walgreens, to buy them a little food. I gave them the last of the canned food this morning. Walgreens is more expensive but closer, and both are within walking distance if I want to walk that far in the cold. I'll probably drive and maybe pick up some bulkier/heavier items on the same trip.
    Hi Ed
    I can see that happening, Running out of Corned Beef :smiley:

When I was delivering Foods back in the early 80s I was temping at a company that delivered to Grocery Stores amongst others and I one delivery was to a Grocery Store in Philadelphia and the manager was opening and inspecting every case of the Beef. Being a curious sort I asked why. The answer was that it was a great bargain being very near the sell by date and he was checking for failed Cryovac packaging so that it could be used first. He also muttered that it was a really good price :)
    FWIW I delivered foods from the early 80s until the 90s. Along the way I delivered Meats, Deli, Dairy, Baked Goods, Kosher for Passover and of course To a Fast Food Chain. Having been in the back rooms of many chains in many cities the worst were in NYC, NY.

There was a news item that about a Police force that was offering free rides home to anyone that had to much to drive home.

Canned foods can get heavy quickly when walking, Good idea driving.

Would You believe that many of the roads here in town are still snow covered, Packed Snow actually. It has been to cold for it to melt and refreeze or turn to slush so the Footing was good today while walking when I had to cross those streets, I am unsure whether to be happy or unhappy about that. Even the side streets the town brined are the same way it having been to cold to do much.

Happy New Year
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi!
    Wow! Lots of reading today! The little kid who 'cooked'...could they not have found something a tad more healthful than to teach him how to deep fry??? (Thats as ridiculous as me buying chicken fried tofu!) :)
    Or Canadian Whisky made in USA!! LOL! or the door lock directly behind the door handle so you can't insert a key! (Thats logic for ya!)
    Actually I enjoyed them and laughed at them all

Fixed myself a very late breakfast of avocado toast with mustard sprouts, and a big arugula salad with sliced beets, minced red onion, and some 'vegan Ranch Dressing'. The dressing is quite good, but its not Ranch!! :) I"ll make it again I'm sure, as it is quite tasty...but I'll have to think up a new name for it.

My car is on vacation today, and its early afternoon, and I've yet to get out of my robe and fleecy pj's! Soon though as I need to go out and empty the rain gauge! Its got a ping pong ball floating in it, but I think it could still easily crack the clear plastic if not tonite, then tomorrow night when its predicted to be 17 degrees. YIKES....that's COLD.

I need to look up the time for the Rose Bowl tomorrow, as GA is playing. And I need to check to see if the Outdoor NHL hockey game is going to be played today or tomorrow. AND I need to check on my frozen collard greens to see how long they need to be cooked...the corn bread is made, and the black-eyed peas are canned, so no sweat there!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Is there much of anything that can be deep fried and healthy :smiley:

They had one job and must have turned off their common sense while doing it.

I would be happy with that temperature for the overnight, The forecast shows a possibility of one day in the next week hitting 30 and the rest of them lower with three more days towards the end of the week in the single digits for overnight temps :(

As I type this I recall that the Rose Parade is starting at 8 AM on the west coast, 11AM here in the East and I am guessing the game will follow that.

It is cold enough here in NJ that Some of the New Years festivities were canceled due to that.

Are Black Eyed Peas for New Years food in the South ?

You might find this interesting.
    http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-years-food-traditions/index.html
    They eat what? New Year's food traditions around the world
    Amanda Kludt, Special to CNN • Updated 31st December 2017

OK, I see that Number one, Hoppin' John, American South answers my question about the Black Eyed Peas as well as one I did not think to ask about the Collard Greens and Corn Bread :)

Number four sounds a lot like the Italian Zeppole except for the Currants or Raisins added to them.

Happy New Years
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy again y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

21 out there now (feels like 11) with an expected high of only 33 and no chance of precipitation.

Happy New Year again! I was up quite late, finishing off the Champagne and virtually yakking with some online friends.

Of course Lilo wanted me to get up at 6:15 or so, on only 4 hours of sleep, but I opened the bedroom door, went back to bed and snoozed about another hour. I will need a nap today, I'm sure!

I need to get the recycles and garbage out to the curb but I think I'll wait until we get a little bit warmer than 21 (feels like 11) to do that.

As mentioned, I have been up for hours but with fixing my breakfast, fixing the breakfast for the cats, and getting my New Year dinner feast started, I have been busy.

The black eyed peas, ham bone (quite meaty), and some trimmed, diced, jowl bacon are in one crock pot and a mix of chopped collards, chopped kale, and the rest of the trimmed, diced, jowl bacon is in another, both with slightly spicy seasoning, salt, smoke seasoning, and, in the greens, some sweetener and a splash of apple cider vinegar along with a good dash of powdered veggie base.

I'll make the masa corn bread later, so it will be warm from the oven when I'm ready to sit down to dinner.

Dinner will be about 5:30 or 6:00ish I think.

Nap time will be after lunch, if lucky. :)

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...