Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 30 out there now with an expected high of 36. 90 percent chance of precipitation beginning with freezing rain/ice and changing to rain. I'm not planning to go anywhere today.

J got home last night. I had pizza waiting for him. I cooked for pretty much the whole two weeks he was gone but last night felt like pizza. Turns out he dined out (or delivery) every night he was gone, as family didn't cook at all!

He ate pizza last night but he says he's about pizza'd out so I guess I'll be finishing off the pizza.

It's Domino's, and it's pretty good. $5.99 each for two medium two topping pizzas, and one was "upgraded" to a specialty pizza for just $2.00 more.

I upgraded to a Pacific Veggie specialty with lots of veggies, and made the other one two toppings of just additional cheeses, Provolone and Parmesan Asiago. So we had meatless Sunday instead of Meatless Monday, though it rather seems we'll be having meatless Monday too, since I'll be finishing off the leftover pizza. J would have meatless every day regardless.

We had some frozen leftover Thai food that he can have for lunch and probably dinner while I'm finishing off the pizza, which I had some of for breakfast.

Laundry probably needs to be done, since he's back.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Dumbest "As Seen On TV" product ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6R8ALWzMP4
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Ok Roger. It was a story that ran on WSB TV here in Atlanta. Took a few minutes for me to find, and 'several' useless searches! I could only find a link to fb, or an email to send, but, I don't believe you are on fb, and I don't know your email addy...so I've copied the article, hope this works!
    Valerie

Cobb woman, 71, says owl knocked her over and attacked her dog

Ben Brasch The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    5:30 p.m Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018 Cobb County
    Facebook Twitter ShareGoogle+ Reddit Email 7
    COBB CO.

Channel 2 Action News
    A Cobb County woman said an owl attacked one of her dogs.

A Cobb County woman is afraid to let her dogs outside after one was attacked by an owl, she told Channel 2 Action News.

Deborah Johnson said she had let her two dachshunds out Saturday about 10 p.m. when the bird swooped in at Gabe, the larger of the two dogs.

“For a few seconds there, I did not know what was going on,” said Johnson, who lives off Post Oak Tritt Road.

READ | Exotic animal sightings: Metro Atlanta has had its share

The 71-year-old woman said she tried to get the owl off Gabe.

“As soon as I touched the owl, he got on me,” she told WSB-TV.

Johnson said she was knocked down and tussled with the owl, which she said had grabbed the heel of her shoe. She thinks it went on for 20 seconds before it flew off.

“I was kicking as hard as I could,” Johnson said.

The arm she fell on is sore, but both her dogs are fine, she said. Johnson just wants folks to be mindful of owls.

“Don’t underestimate what those animals can do with those dogs,” she said.

Ha! it worked....me and POTUS are both geniuses LOL!!!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi Ed! Its downright depressing looking over here! Gray,drizzle, yuck! Hope you didn't really go out for groceries today.
    AND....
    I'd love to see 5 minutes in a row on the local news without a reference to the football game tonite! I think I"ll be glad to see tomorrow...or it may take a few days for the win/loss to wear off!..

How's Lilo doing? You haven't mentioned her in a few days, and I'm hoping that is a good thing.

Glad J got home from KY safely.

Looked at those cartoons and had to laugh...bagels all over the place in one of them...what a mess!, and the cat that someone caught mid leap onto the Cat Tower. Talk about a lucky click of the camera.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited January 2018
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 30 out there now with an expected high of 36. 90 percent chance of precipitation beginning with freezing rain/ice and changing to rain. I'm not planning to go anywhere today.

J got home last night. I had pizza waiting for him. I cooked for pretty much the whole two weeks he was gone but last night felt like pizza. Turns out he dined out (or delivery) every night he was gone, as family didn't cook at all!

He ate pizza last night but he says he's about pizza'd out so I guess I'll be finishing off the pizza.

It's Domino's, and it's pretty good. $5.99 each for two medium two topping pizzas, and one was "upgraded" to a specialty pizza for just $2.00 more.

I upgraded to a Pacific Veggie specialty with lots of veggies, and made the other one two toppings of just additional cheeses, Provolone and Parmesan Asiago. So we had meatless Sunday instead of Meatless Monday, though it rather seems we'll be having meatless Monday too, since I'll be finishing off the leftover pizza. J would have meatless every day regardless.

We had some frozen leftover Thai food that he can have for lunch and probably dinner while I'm finishing off the pizza, which I had some of for breakfast.

Laundry probably needs to be done, since he's back.
    Hi Ed
    Our forecast was for rain/ice/snow and temps around freezing for a High. I just went to get the mail and it appears that we had little ice balls fall from the sky, not deep, just enough so far to turn the ground and cars white. I may or may not head out walking in the morning (Tuesday) or I may hold off and go out later than usual as it is supposed to warm up for Tuesday and the rest of the week.

I have seen Domino's advertising the same deal around here. I have not tried them in many years and as I remember it the crust appeared to have been pre-manufactured and par baked when I did try it many moons ago. Have their Pizzas improved since those days back in the 80s or 90s ?

I had a craving for Thai the other Sunday and when I went to have some I discovered that they only open for Dinner on Sundays so I ended up overeating a Hot Turkey with Dressing, Potatoes, Soup, Salad, Soft breadsticks Senior meal at the Diner :(
    If that was the senior size I would hate to see how large the non senior portions are.
    FWIW I should have had the two Pork Chop Senior meal, there would have been less starches.

Before I forget, I have seen them advertising the water powered flashlight on TV.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Ok Roger. It was a story that ran on WSB TV here in Atlanta. Took a few minutes for me to find, and 'several' useless searches! I could only find a link to fb, or an email to send, but, I don't believe you are on fb, and I don't know your email addy...so I've copied the article, hope this works!
    Valerie

Cobb woman, 71, says owl knocked her over and attacked her dog

Ben Brasch The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    5:30 p.m Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018 Cobb County
    Facebook Twitter ShareGoogle+ Reddit Email 7
    COBB CO.

Channel 2 Action News
    A Cobb County woman said an owl attacked one of her dogs.

A Cobb County woman is afraid to let her dogs outside after one was attacked by an owl, she told Channel 2 Action News.

Deborah Johnson said she had let her two dachshunds out Saturday about 10 p.m. when the bird swooped in at Gabe, the larger of the two dogs.

“For a few seconds there, I did not know what was going on,” said Johnson, who lives off Post Oak Tritt Road.

READ | Exotic animal sightings: Metro Atlanta has had its share

The 71-year-old woman said she tried to get the owl off Gabe.

“As soon as I touched the owl, he got on me,” she told WSB-TV.

Johnson said she was knocked down and tussled with the owl, which she said had grabbed the heel of her shoe. She thinks it went on for 20 seconds before it flew off.

“I was kicking as hard as I could,” Johnson said.

The arm she fell on is sore, but both her dogs are fine, she said. Johnson just wants folks to be mindful of owls.

“Don’t underestimate what those animals can do with those dogs,” she said.

Ha! it worked....me and POTUS are both geniuses LOL!!!

Hi Valerie
    Thank You for the article. I suspect that the Dog looked like food to the Owl.

Speaking of Potus, I have seen some news articles where the genius post by Trump set people off on a rant against him.
    Like or hate Trump, He did it and is president and it is only for three more years. I wish People would just get over it and move on with their life. The country will survive, It has survived more than one terrible president in the past.

Enough Politics, I am not sure it belongs here.
    Hi Ed! Its downright depressing looking over here! Gray,drizzle, yuck! Hope you didn't really go out for groceries today.
    AND....
    I'd love to see 5 minutes in a row on the local news without a reference to the football game tonite! I think I"ll be glad to see tomorrow...or it may take a few days for the win/loss to wear off!..

How's Lilo doing? You haven't mentioned her in a few days, and I'm hoping that is a good thing.

Looked at those cartoons and had to laugh...bagels all over the place in one of them...what a mess!, and the cat that someone caught mid leap onto the Cat Tower. Talk about a lucky click of the camera.

Later...
    I was thinking I would not not want anything off of the line in that factory.
    With some of the Photos timing is everything.

Did I ever mention that back in the 80s or 90s, I'm not sure which off the top of my head I had a pickup of frozen Breads to make at a factory in Brooklyn, NY. The frozen breads were raw, unproofed types of breads. They also delivered baked products to stores and brought back unsold day old breads.
    Anyway I was there and I saw this open top truck where the driver was taking barrels of dry bread and dumping them in the truck, walking on the ones already in it. When I asked what they did with that bread, Farm feed came to my mind. He said they got turned into Bread Crumbs, Yuck.

I have been off of bread crumbs since then.

Enjoy Your Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    a7QtYC.jpg

Ob5ExA.jpg

QM5tLd.jpg

655hk7.jpg

Kp8ckb.jpg

Gf2T5l.jpg

QYS0Gh.jpg

7CSyFG.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 21 on the porch and 28 on the cable news channel. The weather moved in yesterday with a light fall of icy pellets. The temperature is forecast to be in the 40s later today. Despite the ice pellets that fell yesterday the walking was OK.

I just changed the battery in my little Fitbit Zip, when I looked at it before to see my steps for the morning I noticed it was showing a little Icon of a battery with a slash through it :(
    Luckily the lat time I ordered batteries for it I got a two 6 card package of Duracell batteries for it that equaled 12 of the 2025 batteries it uses.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42595180
    Sydney swelters on hottest day since 1939 as mercury hits 47.3C
    7 January 2018

https://nypost.com/2018/01/06/scientists-could-one-day-make-humans-immortal/
    Scientists could one day make humans immortal
    By Larry Getlen, January 6, 2018

https://www.thelocal.se/20180107/two-injured-in-explosion-on-stockholm-subway
    One dead after explosion outside Stockholm subway station
    TT/The Local, 7 January 2018

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/01/06/wi-fi-connects-human-brains-explains-people-have-gut-feelings/
    How 'wi-fi' connects human brains and explains why people have 'gut feelings'
    By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor, 6 January 2018

http://beta.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-flu-surge-20180106-htmlstory.html
    Severe flu brings medicine shortages, packed ERs and a rising death toll in California
    By Soumya Karlamangla, Jan 06, 2018

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 43 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 10% chance of rain.

Laundry is about done, just a few things left in the dryer to refresh and hang/fold this morning.

I know a lot of people make their own bread crumbs, using day old (or older) bread at home and pulverizing the bread in a food processor.

As it happens, I buy panko crumbs. I never heard of bread being stomped on to make crumbs, and while I'm sure that the process does something to sterilize them while making them, that would certainly be a big turn off to see someone walking on them. On the other hand, grapes used to be stomped by hand...er, rather by foot?...to make wine, didn't they? And no one was bothered at all by that, apparently.

At any rate, I understand that Panko crumbs were never actually sold as bread to begin with. I'll have to see what more I can find out about that.

OK, it seems that authentic Japanese Panko is made using crustless bread that is cooked via electrocution, hence not any crust, per se. It's immediately processed into crumbs and is never sold as bread. Some American Panko, from what I've gleaned, is made from whole loaves of bread that include crusts, but "white" Panko is made from crustless bread, or bread that has had the crust removed. Again, from what I've gathered, both are bread made just for the Panko and never sold as bread.

And even if wine was still made by foot stomped grapes, I believe I'd still drink it. LOL.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Low carb recipe remake: Zucchini Casserole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DASsAokb834
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Foods we are (presumably) not allowed to eat in the U.S. Some may be disgusting! You are warned. That opening picture looks like a mangosteen, which I happen to know IS allowed, as I've eaten it and it's available at the Asian farmers market, when in season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeLiBBxIbaw
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    AND....

Later...

The only place I "went" yesterday was down to the bottom of the driveway to bring up the garbage bin, recycle bin, and mail (which never actually arrived, though the USPS email claimed we had some coming...) and I guess the mailman bailed. Or maybe was sick. Or maybe they were concerned about road conditions, though they were fine. At any rate, I imagine the missing mail will arrive today.

Lilo is not eating as much as I'd like, but she seems to be feeling well enough. And she IS eating, and readily consumes treats. No evidence of digestive issues. I've started mixing a little pumpkin into her canned food to, hopefully, help regulate her in that regard, as the extra fiber is supposed to help keep her from getting too hard OR too soft a stool. Just a half teaspoon or so every day mixed thoroughly into her breakfast. She doesn't always eat all of her canned food, but I think she's getting enough pumpkin to, hopefully, make a difference. Today she gets BEEF flavor, which is, I think a favorite.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi...where is that pesky GardenKat????
    I thought I'd posted. Several things around here today got started, and left undone to do something else...oh well

Its Tuesday, so Jack called...that was fun. He was full of stories about the outdoor rink, which Jack made for Nate,,as of yesterday was 'over'. But oh man, did they all have fun over the weekend! Couple of his buddies came and they skated for hours.

Today was my baby brother's birthday...kids 61. Wow! I was weeks from being 14 when he was born. Time has flown!

Having for dinner a big salad, followed by Mashed Potatoes and boiled cabbage and gravy. Yum! The Irish knew what was good when they made Colcannon!

Tom E. has been outside a lot today. Sunny, and 50's..he was a happy cat.

I need to go clean the kitchen. Hasn't been attended to all day...so its a mess. Hope to get out tomorrow and pick up a couple things and call it a day.

Oh, did I mention I have enough mashed potatoes to make potato patties, and I love boiled cabbage, so that could end up being 'itself' or I may think of a new dish to make with them.

OH, again...on the news tonite they were talking(reporting) on another owl attack. What's with these birds???

No more 'Oh's"....just a Later...
  • RogerToo
    Vp43bo.gif

Ecg9YY.jpg

BHRfIC.jpg

ewQpob.png

oGIyTr.gif

zKqcrz.png

sb9pW9.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 20 on the porch and 27 on the cable news channel. The temperature was in 40s yesterday.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5292125/thousands-of-flying-foxes-fall-from-sky-after-being-boiled-alive-in-sweltering-australia-heatwave/
    BATTED OUT Thousands of flying foxes fall from sky after being ‘boiled alive’ in sweltering Australia heatwave
    By Sam Webb, Updated: 8th January 2018

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/901733/Sahara-Desert-snow-Ain-Sefra-Algeria-pictures-photos
    Sahara Desert covered in 15 inches of SNOW as freak weather blankets sand dunes
    By Helen Barnett, UPDATED: 07:29, Tue, Jan 9, 2018

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/good-morning-baltimore-orkin-says-your-city-is-a-bed-bug-mecca
    Yuck :(
    These Are the U.S. Cities With the Worst Bed Bug Infestations
    By Jason Gale, January 8, 2018, 12:01 AM EST

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/missing-reporter-turns-up-in-chick-fil-a/
    Reporter goes missing, turns up in Chick-fil-A
    By Max Jaeger, January 8, 2018 | 11:27am | Updated

http://www.ajc.com/news/burning-spider-causes-apartment-fire/PUeE07EHb5QxJkjX2MtUDL/
    Burning spider causes apartment fire
    Damon Arthur Redding (Calif.) Record Searchlight
    2:33 a.m. Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 Atlanta News

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/amazing-moment-hero-whale-saves-11816131
    Amazing moment hero whale saves snorkeler from shark by hiding her under giant fin while pushing her to safety
    The whale pushed biologist Nan Hauser with his head and his mouth, tucked her under its pectoral fin - even lifted the biologist out of the water on one occasion
    ByJack Williams, Updated11:23, 8 JAN 2018

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/01/08/raw-oysters-bacteria-dangerous-flesh-eating-infection/
    Woman Dies Of Flesh-Eating Infection After Eating Raw Oysters
    January 8, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 43 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 10% chance of rain.

Laundry is about done, just a few things left in the dryer to refresh and hang/fold this morning.

I know a lot of people make their own bread crumbs, using day old (or older) bread at home and pulverizing the bread in a food processor.

As it happens, I buy panko crumbs. I never heard of bread being stomped on to make crumbs, and while I'm sure that the process does something to sterilize them while making them, that would certainly be a big turn off to see someone walking on them. On the other hand, grapes used to be stomped by hand...er, rather by foot?...to make wine, didn't they? And no one was bothered at all by that, apparently.

At any rate, I understand that Panko crumbs were never actually sold as bread to begin with. I'll have to see what more I can find out about that.

OK, it seems that authentic Japanese Panko is made using crustless bread that is cooked via electrocution, hence not any crust, per se. It's immediately processed into crumbs and is never sold as bread. Some American Panko, from what I've gleaned, is made from whole loaves of bread that include crusts, but "white" Panko is made from crustless bread, or bread that has had the crust removed. Again, from what I've gathered, both are bread made just for the Panko and never sold as bread.

And even if wine was still made by foot stomped grapes, I believe I'd still drink it. LOL.
    Hi Ed
    43 was our high for Tuesday :)

I may not have been clear, the truck driver was walking on the bread to put more of it in the truck, not to turn it into crumbs.

Interesting about Panko, I know that it is used by many Chef's as a better breading. I did not know it was made from crustless bread. I wonder how that method of cooking works, I wonder if that is something like the Hot Dog cooker that used to be sold where the dogs were impaled on short spikes and then line voltage was run through them to heat them.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi...where is that pesky GardenKat????
    I thought I'd posted. Several things around here today got started, and left undone to do something else...oh well

Its Tuesday, so Jack called...that was fun. He was full of stories about the outdoor rink, which Jack made for Nate,,as of yesterday was 'over'. But oh man, did they all have fun over the weekend! Couple of his buddies came and they skated for hours.

Today was my baby brother's birthday...kids 61. Wow! I was weeks from being 14 when he was born. Time has flown!

Having for dinner a big salad, followed by Mashed Potatoes and boiled cabbage and gravy. Yum! The Irish knew what was good when they made Colcannon!

Tom E. has been outside a lot today. Sunny, and 50's..he was a happy cat.

I need to go clean the kitchen. Hasn't been attended to all day...so its a mess. Hope to get out tomorrow and pick up a couple things and call it a day.

Oh, did I mention I have enough mashed potatoes to make potato patties, and I love boiled cabbage, so that could end up being 'itself' or I may think of a new dish to make with them.

OH, again...on the news tonite they were talking(reporting) on another owl attack. What's with these birds???

No more 'Oh's"....just a Later...

Hi Valerie
    That is similar to the spread between myself and my Sister :)

I like Boiled Cabbage too...

I wonder if the Owls are hungry and that is what is leading them to be aggressive ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger