Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    OK...got suckered into the internet. Went to Amazon to look for something, and this came up as things I might be interested in.... Click on the link, which I hope to put in here. and then scroll down to watch the process...this is wild!! Half of me thinks this would be fantastic...the reality part of me knows that it would be 'lost' on almost anyone I know...and a whole lot of 'fiddly' fuss to boot. But do go look.

https://www.amazon.com/Albert-y-Ferran-Adria-Spherification/dp/B00HLM2TW2/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_2255571011_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HLM2TW2&pd_rd_r=36TAE32CBBXSJKQ7ZDAK&pd_rd_w=v2r6Z&pd_rd_wg=n96Ik&psc=1&refRID=3P0WNBKV2ACH6H7JCVDN

I think I watched all of them...impressed with the 'chocolate caviar' the Pom caviar, and doesn't sound especially tasty, but the 'quail eggs' WOWZA!!!

I think Ed will find this interesting, and also Roger's bro. What will 'we' think up next in the culinary world?????

• GardenKatGardens
    Now I shall get dressed in street clothes, let the cat back into the house, and make my way to Kroger....or I shall be quite hungry...or maybe at Sweet Tomatoes????
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    The large can of German bean soup (vegan) from Aldi turned out to be just enough to make a very nice lunch for both of us. J added some Asian chili crush to spice his bowl up and I added some crumbled bacon (from my large bag of it) and sriracha to mine, and had a few crackers to go with it.

It was one of the "near the door" items when I bought it so I don't hold out high hopes of there being any more of it the next time I go to Aldi, which will probably be tomorrow. I had never seen it before. We found it tasty enough for an occasional meal, so if there IS any more, I'll buy another can or three to put back for future lunches.

Eduardo has set some corn tortillas out to thaw. There also seems to be a can of refried beans and a can of HOT store brand Ro-tel knock off on the counter. I suspect some kind of layered dish involving all the above and some cheese may turn out to be dinner tonight, but sometimes Eduardo has sudden, last minute ideas and things go in a completely different direction.

We shall see what develops!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    BKFqvl.jpg

jGKvHF.jpg

dj7ZGz.jpg

1fDhSS.jpg

RBLBpq.png

5WZ2qk.jpg

cRRAZW.jpg
    Last but Not Least
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 44 on the porch and 45 on the cable news channel.
    I did some more running around yesterday. I stopped at the Post office and mailed off a payment that used my last stamp and then I bought a book of stamps. Next stop was the barber shop and as it was Noon I ended up with some Thai food, Chicken Pad Thai which is less starchy than Chicken See Yew. The scale was not bad this morning :)

http://rare.us/rare-politics/issues/taxation-nation/seattle-attempts-to-impose-morality-with-ridiculously-high-taxes-on-sugary-drinks/
    Seattle attempts to impose morality with ridiculously high taxes on sugary drinks
    Barbara Boland, January 9, 2018 3:39 pm
    Related
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DeedeeKIRO7/status/949404423754694656
    Holy sugary drink tax! Finally saw this w/ my own eyes. $10.34 of tax on a pack of Gatorade @Costco in #Seattle.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 60 out there now with an expected high of 61 and 100% chance of rain. Low tonight expected to be 27, so Old Man Winter is coming back to visit.

We ended up eating Indian food at a restaurant last night. I had forgotten that J thought he had tickets for a movie but when we got to the theater he noticed that the special feature was scheduled for next week, the 18th, so instead of dinner and a movie at the movie theater (Studio Grill, bar type food, but at least a table or counter to sit at while eating) we went across the street to one of our favorite Indian restaurants and had dinner. Then we stopped at Kroger as I had never gotten out to the store yesterday. I STILL didn't get everything because I forgot to put macaroni on the list. *KITTEN*

Not that I'm going to curl up and die from lack of macaroni, but still.

I could get out to Aldi today to get macaroni but with 100% chance of rain, we'll see. Supposedly we'll be out tomorrow anyway for orchid judging photography, and I need to stop at Walgreens for my zinc supplement at some point too.

Sink is clear, and I've had bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese and MORE crumbled bacon, and buttered sourdough toast, since they had a bakery loaf of nice sourdough on the "Oops, we overbaked" rack at Kroger, fairly thin sliced. As expected, the toaster oven made beautiful, crisp, slightly chewy, sourdough toast, one of my favorite types of bread to toast.

Lilo and Dinah approved of the bacon and the cheese.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    I didn't expect the solar highway to last long. Disappointed that the expectations came true though.

I really felt there was a definite slant on the article about gluten free foods. They didn't actually say that gluten free, per se, increased risk of cardio-vascular issues, but rather that avoidance of beneficial, higher fiber whole grains might result in lower fiber intake, which could result in that increased risk. Well, there are lots of gluten free items that contain plenty of fiber, so unless they have conclusively tested whether the particular fiber in whole grains, specifically, reduces the risk, then that's just a supposition. The article strongly implies that gluten free automatically means less fiber. Gluten free, in and of itself, does NOT imply less fiber in the diet, though it certainly means less fiber from certain grains. More fiber can certainly be consumed in other items to make up for this.

I realize that Android phone batteries can also overheat. Still, the repairman getting burned is a bit scary, though at least I'm sure he's thankful that the battery didn't explode on him!

An old friend from my high school suffers from MS and could possibly benefit from the lab grown muscle cells, though I doubt they'll be in common use soon enough to benefit current patients much.

I'll go with the UFO theory on the Russian flash. It's the most fun!

Hi Ed
    I would hope that the Gluten Free products manufacturers do use other fiber in the foods. OTOH I suspect that anything that raises the cost of the item will be scrutinized on a cost benefit ratio.
    The large can of German bean soup (vegan) from Aldi turned out to be just enough to make a very nice lunch for both of us. J added some Asian chili crush to spice his bowl up and I added some crumbled bacon (from my large bag of it) and sriracha to mine, and had a few crackers to go with it.

It was one of the "near the door" items when I bought it so I don't hold out high hopes of there being any more of it the next time I go to Aldi, which will probably be tomorrow. I had never seen it before. We found it tasty enough for an occasional meal, so if there IS any more, I'll buy another can or three to put back for future lunches.

Eduardo has set some corn tortillas out to thaw. There also seems to be a can of refried beans and a can of HOT store brand Ro-tel knock off on the counter. I suspect some kind of layered dish involving all the above and some cheese may turn out to be dinner tonight, but sometimes Eduardo has sudden, last minute ideas and things go in a completely different direction.

We shall see what develops!

Interesting, To me that is a strike against Aldi that something may or may not be there if You decide You like it.

A Question for You, I know You mentioned using the CostCo Pre cooked Bacon. I have found that it is Meh at best. I find that I prefer the ShopRite House brand or the more expensive Oscar Mayer, I will use the rest of the CostCo bacon but I doubt I will be buying it again.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Abuelita vs. Ibarra, Mexican Hot Chocolate mix battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffk-8m6Qao
  • parityanimal
    Filipino style spaghetti, do it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgxISMPs5M
  • parityanimal
    Pulled pork in a can?

To be honest, I haven't tried THIS brand, but I did try some I saw at Kroger and it was surprisingly decent, especially when I added some barbecue sauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRYyfjLLA8Q
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    http://rare.us/rare-politics/issues/taxation-nation/seattle-attempts-to-impose-morality-with-ridiculously-high-taxes-on-sugary-drinks/
    Seattle attempts to impose morality with ridiculously high taxes on sugary drinks
    Related
    Holy sugary drink tax! Finally saw this w/ my own eyes. $10.34 of tax on a pack of Gatorade @Costco in #Seattle.

I think Seattle needs to just give that idea up quickly. All it will accomplish is to drive consumers out of the city to purchase their sugary drinks elsewhere. And while buying their sugary drinks elsewhere, they'll also buy the rest of their groceries elsewhere and Seattle grocery businesses will be all OVER the city government to quickly dispose of that ridiculous tax.

• RogerToo
    Ok, I'm here! Confess to sleeping til almost 8:30 and liking it! :)
    Ed...Monday Jan. 15 it is...dependent on the weather..:) My counter and I will thank you! I do hope you like the chips. I know my only thought when the 'heat' caught me was ED!!!!! LOL!

Roger, I didn't read your articles yet, but surely did enjoy the cartoons. Animal pix are always enjoyable, and puppy or kitty pix adorable. :) I sat and rocked with my 'kitten' this morning while trying to get sips of my coffee without spilling on myself or Tom E. I don't think my coffee was so hot as to cause any serious burns, but it was a cup of half calf and I didn't want to share!

I am going to brave the weather and make a Kroger run. I did find zucchini at Aldi's and celery, and Cara Cara oranges..but no beets. :( I was truly disappointed. So, I have one more serving of squashed potatoes to 'reinvent' for either a lunch or dinner, and after that, I'm going to seriously have to actually cook! hmmmm. I'm going to look at Kroger's frozen foods and see if I can find frozen leeks. Would make a decent soup with my potato...

Surely is ugly out there this morning. But, no big winds, or torrential rains, etc. So I will make the best of it while I'm out. Looks pretty much like a 'hoodie rain gear' kinda day.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I wish I could sleep in some days. Tomorrow looks like the weather will be interesting, not necessarily nice but interesting.
    OK...got suckered into the internet. Went to Amazon to look for something, and this came up as things I might be interested in.... Click on the link, which I hope to put in here. and then scroll down to watch the process...this is wild!! Half of me thinks this would be fantastic...the reality part of me knows that it would be 'lost' on almost anyone I know...and a whole lot of 'fiddly' fuss to boot. But do go look.

https://www.amazon.com/Albert-y-Ferran-Adria-Spherification/dp/B00HLM2TW2/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_2255571011_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HLM2TW2&pd_rd_r=36TAE32CBBXSJKQ7ZDAK&pd_rd_w=v2r6Z&pd_rd_wg=n96Ik&psc=1&refRID=3P0WNBKV2ACH6H7JCVDN

I think I watched all of them...impressed with the 'chocolate caviar' the Pom caviar, and doesn't sound especially tasty, but the 'quail eggs' WOWZA!!!

I think Ed will find this interesting, and also Roger's bro. What will 'we' think up next in the culinary world?????
    I will have to look at that later, if I remember of course, I tend to get lost on or maybe it is in the Internet.
    Now I shall get dressed in street clothes, let the cat back into the house, and make my way to Kroger....or I shall be quite hungry...or maybe at Sweet Tomatoes????
    Good Luck With Your Running Around
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Related

I think Seattle needs to just give that idea up quickly. All it will accomplish is to drive consumers out of the city to purchase their sugary drinks elsewhere. And while buying their sugary drinks elsewhere, they'll also buy the rest of their groceries elsewhere and Seattle grocery businesses will be all OVER the city government to quickly dispose of that ridiculous tax.
    Hi Again
    I do not hold much hope for that working, They do not seem to have learned by what happened in Philadelphia or Chicago when those cities tried to change peoples habits by hitting them in the pocket. The only way it could work is on a statewide basis and even then those nest to another state would vote against it with their feet and wallets. I hope they do not get the idea to impose social change like that on the entire state.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Hi Ed
    I would hope that the Gluten Free products manufacturers do use other fiber in the foods. OTOH I suspect that anything that raises the cost of the item will be scrutinized on a cost benefit ratio.

Actually I am pretty sure that there is fiber in the gluten free products anyway, and I was thinking that, especially with "ancient grains" there would be plenty, but I meant that bananas, for example, have no gluten but have plenty of fiber. Apples, likewise. Potato peels, and many other fruits and vegetables too. I know I don't get the majority of my fiber from foods with lots of gluten, as I don't eat all that much bread or pasta. I know that some wheat gluten finds its way into other foods, including some sauces and such, but not all that much fiber is generally found in a sauce.

Interesting, To me that is a strike against Aldi that something may or may not be there if You decide You like it.

A Question for You, I know You mentioned using the CostCo Pre cooked Bacon. I have found that it is Meh at best. I find that I prefer the ShopRite House brand or the more expensive Oscar Mayer, I will use the rest of the CostCo bacon but I doubt I will be buying it again.

Cheers
    Roger

Aldi often has special buys right at the door as one enters, and sometimes on end caps. Kroger actually does somewhat the same thing when having one of their "taste of" this country or that country specials that they often do in the Summer, lasting a week or two, maybe three. Many products from that country are available for a limited time, usually until they run out a week or two after the special promotion is over. Sometimes the dregs are marked down to get them out of the way.

With Aldi, I expect that regular customers like me and Val learn pretty quickly which items are likely to be keepers and which are just a special, probably seasonal or one time deal. They sometimes get a super bargain on some item that was probably overstocked in Europe, like maybe that bean soup, and put it out here in the states to see how it sells. It's rare, but sometimes a new item will sell so well that it makes it on to the permanent shelving, but they have very limited space in the small stores, and have most of their standards pretty well set. And some things seem to rotate. I've noticed that with the dried fruits, for example, they don't usually have ALL of them available at once, so sometimes I can get the peaches, but not the cherries, or I can get the pears, but not the peaches. Not that there is a gap in the items. The shelves tend to stay full, but there is already not enough room to necessarily put out ALL the food they normally sell at once, so specials tend to stay specials, and are often right at the front as you go in.

As for the bacon. I like the Kirkwood bacon from Costco, and it is a good deal for me, pricewise. My current big bag of crumbled bacon though is Hormel, and I bought it at Kroger. It is a 20 ounce bag (I think) that claims to be equal to 5 pounds of bacon, cooked.

Well, I'm not going to cook 5 pounds of bacon and crumble it to find out. It's also supposedly 20% less fat than "normal - whatever that is" cooked bacon.

I'll buy the Kirkwood pre-cooked if I happen to be at Costco but I actually buy at least as much bacon, both pre-cooked and raw, at Kroger or Ingles, especially if I can catch it on sale. Sometimes I'll buy a brand I never heard of if it looks good in the package and has a decent price.

As much as I love bacon, I have cut back on it a LOT in the last year or so, as I know it's really not that good for me. Buying the huge bag of crumbles was a spur of the moment aberration, but I know I'll enjoy it, and it's certainly convenient for salads, scrambled eggs, baconized mac and cheese, bacon for bean soup, etc.

My main issue with the Kirkwood pre-cooked bacon isn't so much with the flavor, as I enjoy eating different flavors of bacon and don't stick with a given brand anyway, but with the size of the package and storing it in the fridge. Of course it does lie flat which helps, but I still find myself working on the same package of bacon for a long time!
  • RogerToo
    Hi something in the post that the site did not like and it kept chopping off most of it so here is the rest

Holy sugary drink tax! Finally saw this w/ my own eyes. $10.34 of tax on a pack of Gatorade Costco in Seattle.Costco also reminding you hey - no tax on this outside the city. Thoughts?? pic.twitter.com/xN2C4Csoe7
    2:17 PM - 5 Jan 2018 [/b]

http://rare.us/rare-politics/issues/taxation-nation/this-seattle-subway-cant-sell-5-footlongs-because-of-big-government-and-posted-a-sign-to-let-customers-know/
    This Seattle Subway can’t sell $5 footlongs because of big government – and posted a sign to let customers know
    Barbara Boland, January 10, 2018 4:29 pm
    The sign reads: Unfortunately, we are not participating in the $4.99 footlong promotion. The cost of [doing] business in the City of Seattle is very high. We are balancing the highest minimum wage in the nation, paid sick leave, ACA, secure scheduling, soda tax, and much more

http://www.wnd.com/2018/01/another-u-s-religious-leader-kill-the-jews/
    Another imam in U.S. calls for killing Jews
    'May Allah destroy everyone who wants evil for Islam'

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/million-dollar-homes-haunt-real-estate-market/
    A plague of million-dollar homes haunts real estate
    By Aimee Picchi MoneyWatch January 10, 2018, 12:01 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/10/retirement-crisis-37-gen-x-say-they-wont-able-afford-retire/1016739001/
    Retirement crisis: 37% of Gen X say they won't be able to afford to retire
    Adam Shell, USA TODAY, Updated 9:05 a.m. ET Jan. 10, 2018

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/move-over-iphone-x-some-people-prefer-an-old-fashioned-flip-phone-2017-09-12
    Warren Buffett prefers flip phones — and he’s not alone
    By Alessandra Malito, Published: Jan 10, 2018 3:11 p.m. ET
    \

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/09/yelp-accused-hiding-positive-reviews-non-advertiser/

Yelp Accused Of Hiding Positive Reviews For Non-Advertiser
    By Jeff Paul, January 9, 2018 at 10:07 pm
    I saw a news article where Yelp reviews are being used to find food born illness locations on the news Wednesday

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good morning!
    I woke at almost 6 this morning...said 'nope' and went right back to sleep! Gray, rainy, but 60 degrees warm...which will not last...supposed to stop raining around 3p, followed closely by a cold wind and low 30's by night fall...no wonder people are sick. They're warning of icy roads by Sat. a.m.

I don't miss bacon, but I'd think that buying it precooked would remove a lot of the enjoyment of the bacon...and that's the Smell as it cooks. Not much that I can think of smells as good as bacon cooking!

I think I have a can of that German Bean Soup from Aldi's. May put that on my menu for tomorrow! If its Ed and J approved, how can it go wrong? Bonus points that you all had to add in your own hot spices..so I don't end up with not only hot chips, but also spicy hot soup too!

Not much on my list today. Going to make a gym run, so I can say that I got to the gym this week! (oh my)...and pick up about 5 items I couldn't find at Kroger...and that's it!!!

I'll go back and read the articles with my lunch. :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Eduardo did, indeed, get loose tonight. I set out a few ingredients to add to those set out yesterday, and let the available ingredients percolate all day in the back burner of my mind.

The final result was a layered Mexican style casserole starting with a layer of soft corn tortillas, followed by a layer of refried beans mixed with hot store brand Ro-tel type tomatoes and chilis, then a layer of Mexican style rice and beans, then a layer of four cheese shredded Mexican blend. Next, a repeat of all these layers, and then topped with a final layer of soft corn tortillas, then a thin layer of hot salsa, and the rest of the shredded cheese. Baked at 350 until the cheese was very nicely browned, as J loves toasted cheese and so do I.

Here's what it looked like. We ate half of it tonight and the other half will be another meal for us.

22d8v4dvalz7.jpg
  • RogerToo
    vR59ZW.jpg

XEwRe9.gif

UhT6Bz.jpg

8BthtW.png

ID7L8X.jpg

ch1RIQ.jpg

wrIE0v.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 51 on the porch and 58 on the cable news channel. I was under dressed when I went out to walk due to a breeze. I went a very short distance, and came back for the rain-jacket to use as a windbreaker. I should have worn it and as it turned out better gloves.
    The rain started yesterday after I returned home, then continued more on than off into the night. I did hear rain around 2 O Clock and was gone by 5AM.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-01-11/what-if-everyone-got-a-monthly-check-from-the-government

What If Everyone Got a Monthly Check From the Government?
    In an audacious experiment, Finland is giving some residents a “basic income” of $16,000 for two years, no strings attached. Here’s what two of them did with the money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/cryptocurrency-mining-puts-electrical-grid-of-small-washington-state-county-to-the-test.html
    Cryptocurrency mining puts electrical grid of small Washington state county 'to the test'
    Fred Imbert, Updated 15 Hours Ago

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jersey-FBI-Dog-Electronics-Sniffing-Dog-NJ-Police-380560881.html
    FBI Canine Agent Sniffs Out Cyber Evidence
    Its a Oldie but I thought it Interesting

http://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/California-wind-record-fastest-gust-Ward-Peak-199-12488795.php
    199-MPH Sierra wind gust sets California record
    By Amy Graff, SFGATE Updated 12:45 pm, Thursday, January 11, 2018

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/11/northern-spotted-owl-being-poisoned-californias-il/
    Northern spotted owl being poisoned by California’s illegal marijuana grows

Threatened species ingests contaminated rodents

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning!
    I woke at almost 6 this morning...said 'nope' and went right back to sleep! Gray, rainy, but 60 degrees warm...which will not last...supposed to stop raining around 3p, followed closely by a cold wind and low 30's by night fall...no wonder people are sick. They're warning of icy roads by Sat. a.m.

I don't miss bacon, but I'd think that buying it precooked would remove a lot of the enjoyment of the bacon...and that's the Smell as it cooks. Not much that I can think of smells as good as bacon cooking!

I think I have a can of that German Bean Soup from Aldi's. May put that on my menu for tomorrow! If its Ed and J approved, how can it go wrong? Bonus points that you all had to add in your own hot spices..so I don't end up with not only hot chips, but also spicy hot soup too!

Not much on my list today. Going to make a gym run, so I can say that I got to the gym this week! (oh my)...and pick up about 5 items I couldn't find at Kroger...and that's it!!!

I'll go back and read the articles with my lunch. :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Your weather Friday sounds like ours...
    Tonight we go back into the deep freeze too.

I get a Cooking bacon smell near daily when my Brother is cooking his breakfast, I agree it smells so good :)

There were power outages in NJ Friday, Mostly weather related. Luckily ours stayed on, There was also a outage at Newark Airport that they said was not weather related and the news I saw had no cause listed.
    http://pix11.com/2018/01/12/transformer-fire-at-newark-airport-sparks-partial-terminal-evacuation/

Have a Nice Day
    Roger