Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 53 out there now with an expected high of 59 and 20% chance of precipitation.

I did finish the laundry yesterday and got to the store. Didn't get EVERYTHING, as I stopped at Kroger on the way home from a routine doctor visit, and hadn't yet had lunch. Came home and got lunch for J and for me.

I can get what's left at Aldi and Walgreens without going far at all, and if necessary there is always the nearby Publix as well.

Dinner last night was garlic cheese toast and lasagna, with Château Élan Muscadry Rosé. Very nice. This was the third bottle of the Christmas case I bought from them, that didn't actually get delivered until after Christmas. I had previously purchased a bottle of the Blanc, but this case was my introduction to the Rouge and the Rosé. Both are excellent.

I bought the individual serving sizes of Stouffers lasagna, so J had the 5 Cheese lasagna and I had the Italian (with meat) lasagna. We really love their vegetable Alfredo lasagna, but once in a while we want the red sauced version(s) just for a change of pace when having lasagna. Of course we don't have lasagna all that often anyway.

Doctor said I'd lost 3 more pounds. If he said it, then it's official. :)

Not that I couldn't stand to lose more, and it WOULD have been more, if not for the holidays. At least I managed to get through them without blimping out.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    A winter treat from the late 18th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PiGidtStM
  • parityanimal
    I have a checkerboard cake pan. It's older, with metal ring dividers, and if done right it makes a lovely cake. I would not make a Gatorade cake...mine was yellow cake and chocolate usually, and I was perhaps a bit more careful with the rings and produced a more consistent checkerboard shape, but the pans DO work nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFO-NvMcNs
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! Morning chores done, email read or addressed as needed, (filed, printed, trashed...whatever!) Kitchen was cleaned last night, so dishwasher unloaded.
    Several things I need to attend to out there...like making another batch of my oil free "ranch" dressing. (stuff is good!), etc. Shower, then I'm outta here for the afternoon!
    Going to do an 'odd' run. I've never made it to Walmart, for all my threats of going..didn't!
    And Aldi's, for oranges, apples, and their canned beets! Like 0.49 cents a can! And I love putting sliced beets on my salads..etc. Also they have hyacinths at a good price...want a dozen, will settle for 2 :) LOL!

Also picking up zucchini wherever I find them...want to try the zucchini and carrot fritters Ed posted. Looked so good. I think I'm on a 'fritter' kick.. Leftovers of yesterdays dinner going to reappear as potato fritters, and the leftover cabbage will go into a soup, or just get heated and eaten as is!

I loved the cartoons....the Purebread Cat made me laugh..wasn't expecting that! The cat in the tub with the yellow ducky shower cap, etc...

Ed..how's your schedule next week? I'd really like to get rid of these hot chip things. They've taken up way too much 'real estate' on the counter top. Would be good to see you, coffee if you're in for that...my treat!

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Oh...Roger I can't imagine a lack of available food for the owls...I have no idea what has set them off...or maybe its just the reporting that is being done...it is weird.
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Ed..how's your schedule next week? I'd really like to get rid of these hot chip things. They've taken up way too much 'real estate' on the counter top. Would be good to see you, coffee if you're in for that...my treat!

Later...

I think I'm relatively free next week, except Saturday, so just about any day would be fine. Coffee instead of a clandestine meeting in the TJ's parking lot? LOL. I do still want to run myself by TJ's while out though. :)

• GardenKatGardens
    Boy, are we busy people....I'm only tied up on Tues & Thursday. (and good until about 3:30 on Thursday...) So basically coffee and then TJ's? I'll let you pick the day of week.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 cent. The temperature this morning was 36 on the porch and on the cable news channel. I did see two deer standing on the road in a cul de sac while walking.

http://beta.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-solar-theft-20180109-story.html
    China’s heralded 'solar highway' closed after thieves stole one of the panels
    By Jonathan Kaiman, Jan 09, 2018

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/gluten-free-foods-healthy-alternatives-expert-diet-suzanne-mahady-monash-university-australia-a8148246.html
    Gluten-free foods are not healthier alternatives, says expert
    From the article
    Avoiding gluten has also been linked to an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes.

http://news.trust.org/item/20180109130122-tsylw
    Apple store in Zurich evacuated as phone battery overheats
    by Reuters, Tuesday, 9 January 2018

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/muscles-grown-skin-stem-cells-reprogrammed-scientists-duke-university-a8149211.html
    Working muscles grown in lab from skin stem cells in world first
    New technique could be used to grow large amounts of tissue and treat rare muscular diseases
    Josh Gabbatiss Science Correspondent, Tuesday 9 January 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5249455/Flash-Russia-sparks-fears-strike-North-Korea.html
    Mysterious bright flash and 'ground shaking explosion' over Russia sparks fears of a US missile strike on North Korea
    By Will Stewart In Moscow for MailOnline, Updated: 05:02 EST, 9 January 2018

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    1D8q72.jpg

x1vIVY.jpg

hwfeQ2.jpg

o00rZL.jpg

utdAWV.jpg

6E5u7r.jpg

KWIf02.jpg

GUkNvD.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 50 out there now with an expected high of 60 and 60% chance of precipitation along with that high temperature of 60.

I had thought I might pop out for cat food and a few other sundries but might not if it's all rainy and blech out there.

Might run the dishwasher today, but it may be able to wait until after lunch or possibly even tonight after dinner, depending on what Eduardo or I decide dinner will be. There is a large can of German bean soup in there that I bought at Aldi a while back that looks pretty good and it may be the majority of dinner, along with, perhaps, some potato dish to fill out, as the soup doesn't look like it would be quite enough, by itself, to be dinner for two large men.

Thought I was going to beat Roger this morning but I see he just posted. LOL.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    As chicken and dumplings, in a can, go, I recall rather liking the Sweet Sue brand. The dumplings are very much like the ones my mother made, and that I make, and the taste is all right. As with any of these type canned items, it could use a bit more chicken and you may be sure that when I make it from scratch, it HAS quite a bit more chicken. Still, Sweet Sue will do, for me, in a pinch. I do add additional seasoning, including some rosemary, salt, and pepper. Can't honestly recall how I felt about Dinty Moore, though I'm pretty sure I tried that one. I'm usually OK with Dinty Moore products though. Sweet Sue was just my mom's go to for camping trips, so I was used to it and it was familiar.

After watching this one, I may have to go and give the Dinty Moore another try. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjY57V3Mt54
  • parityanimal
    No carb bread? Only three ingredients? May have to try this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuQlLx_TQ4
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Kids try 100 years of the most expensive foods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjC-nUPrNg
  • parityanimal
    Canned food restaurant? I know some restaurants get some of their food from cans, but to be PROUD of it and serve it that way? Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPajxKzkRg
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 53 out there now with an expected high of 59 and 20% chance of precipitation.

I did finish the laundry yesterday and got to the store. Didn't get EVERYTHING, as I stopped at Kroger on the way home from a routine doctor visit, and hadn't yet had lunch. Came home and got lunch for J and for me.

I can get what's left at Aldi and Walgreens without going far at all, and if necessary there is always the nearby Publix as well.

Dinner last night was garlic cheese toast and lasagna, with Château Élan Muscadry Rosé. Very nice. This was the third bottle of the Christmas case I bought from them, that didn't actually get delivered until after Christmas. I had previously purchased a bottle of the Blanc, but this case was my introduction to the Rouge and the Rosé. Both are excellent.

I bought the individual serving sizes of Stouffers lasagna, so J had the 5 Cheese lasagna and I had the Italian (with meat) lasagna. We really love their vegetable Alfredo lasagna, but once in a while we want the red sauced version(s) just for a change of pace when having lasagna. Of course we don't have lasagna all that often anyway.

Doctor said I'd lost 3 more pounds. If he said it, then it's official. :)

Not that I couldn't stand to lose more, and it WOULD have been more, if not for the holidays. At least I managed to get through them without blimping out.
    Hi Ed
    That is a great loss following the Holidays.

I may have to look for the Stouffers, I wonder if they are carried locally, hopefully :)
    As chicken and dumplings, in a can, go, I recall rather liking the Sweet Sue brand. The dumplings are very much like the ones my mother made, and that I make, and the taste is all right. As with any of these type canned items, it could use a bit more chicken and you may be sure that when I make it from scratch, it HAS quite a bit more chicken. Still, Sweet Sue will do, for me, in a pinch. I do add additional seasoning, including some rosemary, salt, and pepper. Can't honestly recall how I felt about Dinty Moore, though I'm pretty sure I tried that one. I'm usually OK with Dinty Moore products though.
    I did use those Chicken and dumplings as well as the Dinty Moore Beef Stew as a lunch at work on more than one occasion. I liked them, The Dumplings were a bit doughy, not a surprise OTOH.
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 50 out there now with an expected high of 60 and 60% chance of precipitation along with that high temperature of 60.

I had thought I might pop out for cat food and a few other sundries but might not if it's all rainy and blech out there.

Might run the dishwasher today, but it may be able to wait until after lunch or possibly even tonight after dinner, depending on what Eduardo or I decide dinner will be. There is a large can of German bean soup in there that I bought at Aldi a while back that looks pretty good and it may be the majority of dinner, along with, perhaps, some potato dish to fill out, as the soup doesn't look like it would be quite enough, by itself, to be dinner for two large men.

Thought I was going to beat Roger this morning but I see he just posted. LOL.
    Fifty is our forecast high and the Precipitation is forecast to be 100% later in the evening.
    FWIW I hate the word "Forecasted" that I keep seeing as well as the word "Pleaded" in the news broadcasts. IMO the proper words are Forecast and Pled.

The early bird gets the worm, Not that I would have a use for a worm :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! Morning chores done, email read or addressed as needed, (filed, printed, trashed...whatever!) Kitchen was cleaned last night, so dishwasher unloaded.
    Several things I need to attend to out there...like making another batch of my oil free "ranch" dressing. (stuff is good!), etc. Shower, then I'm outta here for the afternoon!
    Going to do an 'odd' run. I've never made it to Walmart, for all my threats of going..didn't!
    And Aldi's, for oranges, apples, and their canned beets! Like 0.49 cents a can! And I love putting sliced beets on my salads..etc. Also they have hyacinths at a good price...want a dozen, will settle for 2 :) LOL!

Also picking up zucchini wherever I find them...want to try the zucchini and carrot fritters Ed posted. Looked so good. I think I'm on a 'fritter' kick.. Leftovers of yesterdays dinner going to reappear as potato fritters, and the leftover cabbage will go into a soup, or just get heated and eaten as is!

I loved the cartoons....the Purebread Cat made me laugh..wasn't expecting that! The cat in the tub with the yellow ducky shower cap, etc...

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Most of what I post are items that tickled my funny bone with a few other types thrown in.

My brother has been bringing home "Canned Beets" except that they are in a pouch not a can.

My brother grow Zucchini in the garden and the overflow gets handed out to neighbors and he slices the smaller ones into his salad instead of using Cucumbers.
    Oh...Roger I can't imagine a lack of available food for the owls...I have no idea what has set them off...or maybe its just the reporting that is being done...it is weird.

You could be right, It could all be down to trends in reporting.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Boy, are we busy people....I'm only tied up on Tues & Thursday. (and good until about 3:30 on Thursday...) So basically coffee and then TJ's? I'll let you pick the day of week.

Let's shoot for Monday, weather permitting.
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 cent. The temperature this morning was 36 on the porch and on the cable news channel. I did see two deer standing on the road in a cul de sac while walking.

http://beta.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-solar-theft-20180109-story.html
    China’s heralded 'solar highway' closed after thieves stole one of the panels
    By Jonathan Kaiman, Jan 09, 2018

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/gluten-free-foods-healthy-alternatives-expert-diet-suzanne-mahady-monash-university-australia-a8148246.html
    Gluten-free foods are not healthier alternatives, says expert
    From the article
    Avoiding gluten has also been linked to an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes.

http://news.trust.org/item/20180109130122-tsylw
    Apple store in Zurich evacuated as phone battery overheats
    by Reuters, Tuesday, 9 January 2018

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/muscles-grown-skin-stem-cells-reprogrammed-scientists-duke-university-a8149211.html
    Working muscles grown in lab from skin stem cells in world first
    New technique could be used to grow large amounts of tissue and treat rare muscular diseases
    Josh Gabbatiss Science Correspondent, Tuesday 9 January 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5249455/Flash-Russia-sparks-fears-strike-North-Korea.html
    Mysterious bright flash and 'ground shaking explosion' over Russia sparks fears of a US missile strike on North Korea
    By Will Stewart In Moscow for MailOnline, Updated: 05:02 EST, 9 January 2018

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger

I didn't expect the solar highway to last long. Disappointed that the expectations came true though.

I really felt there was a definite slant on the article about gluten free foods. They didn't actually say that gluten free, per se, increased risk of cardio-vascular issues, but rather that avoidance of beneficial, higher fiber whole grains might result in lower fiber intake, which could result in that increased risk. Well, there are lots of gluten free items that contain plenty of fiber, so unless they have conclusively tested whether the particular fiber in whole grains, specifically, reduces the risk, then that's just a supposition. The article strongly implies that gluten free automatically means less fiber. Gluten free, in and of itself, does NOT imply less fiber in the diet, though it certainly means less fiber from certain grains. More fiber can certainly be consumed in other items to make up for this.

I realize that Android phone batteries can also overheat. Still, the repairman getting burned is a bit scary, though at least I'm sure he's thankful that the battery didn't explode on him!

An old friend from my high school suffers from MS and could possibly benefit from the lab grown muscle cells, though I doubt they'll be in common use soon enough to benefit current patients much.

I'll go with the UFO theory on the Russian flash. It's the most fun!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ok, I'm here! Confess to sleeping til almost 8:30 and liking it! :)
    Ed...Monday Jan. 15 it is...dependent on the weather..:) My counter and I will thank you! I do hope you like the chips. I know my only thought when the 'heat' caught me was ED!!!!! LOL!

Roger, I didn't read your articles yet, but surely did enjoy the cartoons. Animal pix are always enjoyable, and puppy or kitty pix adorable. :) I sat and rocked with my 'kitten' this morning while trying to get sips of my coffee without spilling on myself or Tom E. I don't think my coffee was so hot as to cause any serious burns, but it was a cup of half calf and I didn't want to share!

I am going to brave the weather and make a Kroger run. I did find zucchini at Aldi's and celery, and Cara Cara oranges..but no beets. :( I was truly disappointed. So, I have one more serving of squashed potatoes to 'reinvent' for either a lunch or dinner, and after that, I'm going to seriously have to actually cook! hmmmm. I'm going to look at Kroger's frozen foods and see if I can find frozen leeks. Would make a decent soup with my potato...

Surely is ugly out there this morning. But, no big winds, or torrential rains, etc. So I will make the best of it while I'm out. Looks pretty much like a 'hoodie rain gear' kinda day.

Later...