Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Eduardo did, indeed, get loose tonight. I set out a few ingredients to add to those set out yesterday, and let the available ingredients percolate all day in the back burner of my mind.

The final result was a layered Mexican style casserole starting with a layer of soft corn tortillas, followed by a layer of refried beans mixed with hot store brand Ro-tel type tomatoes and chilis, then a layer of Mexican style rice and beans, then a layer of four cheese shredded Mexican blend. Next, a repeat of all these layers, and then topped with a final layer of soft corn tortillas, then a thin layer of hot salsa, and the rest of the shredded cheese. Baked at 350 until the cheese was very nicely browned, as J loves toasted cheese and so do I.

Here's what it looked like. We ate half of it tonight and the other half will be another meal for us.

22d8v4dvalz7.jpg
    Hi Ed
    That looks and sounds tasty, I love cheese that gets toasted like that. The change I would make for my taste buds is a substitution to replace the Hot Tomatoes and Chillis as I do not care for hot. I suspect the change would be regular Tomatoes and no Chilis :)

Before I forget there were lots of weather related delays at the three Metro area Airports, La Guardia, Kennedy and Newark here in NJ. The worst was over 5 hours at Kennedy, Usually Newark is the worst and I would have thought that with the Terminal C power problems they would have been Number One for delays.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

29 out there now with an expected high of 38 and no chance of precipitation. At least it will be above freezing at some point today!

Tonight the low is supposed to be in the low 20s.

We have orchid judging photography today. And maybe I'll get that macaroni while we're out.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Foods we're not buying at Aldi (or are we?) but should be (or should we?)...at least if we lived in Great Britain?

Not sure if all this is actually available in the U.S. Or at every store, even if they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nS3eO-Tvtw
  • parityanimal
    Groceries: Thought for Food. Kroger Food Foundation, 1933.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_nPnSkd6E
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Kids try Jamaican food. One of them apparently "doesn't like to eat animals" but I know some people eat meat from the grocery store, since it's from the grocery, and not from an animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnX01Jjx2uM
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Kids try snacks from South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miuh8z_6R5I
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Well, what a bummer.....I read, laughed at cartoons, watched the kids eat Jamaican food, etc,,,and then got distracted and didn't stop to say HI. (it was the cat's fault) LOL!!
    Tom E.'s being a pest. most of the day. though he did have a nice long nap around lunch time.
    Cold here and gonna be cold for a week or so. I really want my Introduction To Spring back!
    I just have to remember that its almost February...and then we can expect to see upper 60's and 70's for several days at a time...sometimes between snow and ice even!!

Tomorrow morning is early hockey, so I'm about to clean cat boxes, (again, and yet again), and pour myself a glass of water for during the night...and set up the Keurig...and ZZZzzzz!

Hope everybody's day as gone well, and I'll try to read tomorrow before I leave, but don't look for a reply or a hello til I get home. (There will be a Whole Foods run after the game.)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    The left over casserole warmed up nicely for dinner tonight. Of course the top "crust" of cheese was no longer crispy, but it was all still very tasty.

I didn't get to Aldi but I got my macaroni at Dollar General, as we happened to be in that parking lot having a late lunch snack at the Taco Bell in the same lot. They had some vitamins but no zinc. While I was at it, I got some noodles too. I don't know why zinc suddenly became a drug store only item, but there it is. So we stopped at Walgreens on the way home and I got the zinc too.

• RogerToo
    rFLohp.jpg

L5r6ow.png

d03V5X.jpg

WpgvNj.jpg

yYYcp7.jpg

cdDfLd.jpg

HajThV.jpg

wvMlNk.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

18 frigid degrees out there now with an expected high of 40 and no chance of precipitation.

Might get out today. Might not. Nothing critical on the list at all. Cooking some rotini pasta with cheese and bacon for breakfast.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 Cent. The temperature this morning was 15 on the porch and 16 on the cable news channel. There was a bit of a wind chill and that means that despite the three layers I still felt a bit of a chill towards the end of my walk.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/01/12/tsa-officer-finds-cat-packed-in-luggage/
    TSA Officer Finds Cat Packed In Luggage
    January 12, 2018 at 10:14 am

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2018/01/12/postal-worker-admits-he-burned-mail-20-tubs/1029335001/
    Postal worker admits he burned 20 tubs of mail
    Claire Taylor, Updated 8:48 p.m. CT Jan. 12, 2018

A postal worker in Louisiana pleaded guilty this week in federal court for destroying mail.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-makes-lifetime-memories-kids-11839695
    Dad diagnosed with Alzheimer's at just 30 is told his toddler twins have 50% chance of inheriting disease
    By David Pittam, 11:02, 12 JAN 2018Updated16:37, 12 JAN 2018

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-christianity-religion-crackdown-megachurch-chinaaid-golden-lampstand-church-linfen-communist-a8156031.html
    Chinese authorities blow up Christian megachurch with dynamite
    By Chris Baynes, Saturday 13 January 2018 12:10 GMT

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Woman-returns-Christmas-tree-to-Costco-because-12491223.php
    Woman returns Christmas tree to Costco 'because it's dead'
    By Mike Moffitt, SFGATE Updated 12:26 pm, Thursday, January 11, 2018

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Man-Stealing-Cheetos-Threatens-Bodega-Clerk-With-Gun-469013393.html
    Cheetos Thief Threatens Bodega Clerk: ‘I’ll Blow Your Head Off!’
    The suspect then grabbed a bag of Cheetos from the counter and ran from the store, police said
    Updated at 1:31 AM EST on Jan 13, 2018

They are tasty but...

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    South African kids try American snacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UHrHbcXlk
  • parityanimal
    Korean kids taste American snacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfydSvhX7g
  • parityanimal
    Americans try Mexican McDonalds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCdL2dxs5xY
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

29 out there now with an expected high of 38 and no chance of precipitation. At least it will be above freezing at some point today!

Tonight the low is supposed to be in the low 20s.

We have orchid judging photography today. And maybe I'll get that macaroni while we're out.
    Hi
    I wish it was that warm here :(
    The last forecast I saw is that late Tuesday into Wednesday we could see some snow.
    The left over casserole warmed up nicely for dinner tonight. Of course the top "crust" of cheese was no longer crispy, but it was all still very tasty.

I didn't get to Aldi but I got my macaroni at Dollar General, as we happened to be in that parking lot having a late lunch snack at the Taco Bell in the same lot. They had some vitamins but no zinc. While I was at it, I got some noodles too. I don't know why zinc suddenly became a drug store only item, but there it is. So we stopped at Walgreens on the way home and I got the zinc too.
    I find that a little strange that the cheese did not stay crispy, I wonder if it is related to the type of cheese.

I hope to get to the Acme grocery store later today and probably the Dollar Store.

I find that weird that You could only find Zinc at the drug store. Hmm...

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, what a bummer.....I read, laughed at cartoons, watched the kids eat Jamaican food, etc,,,and then got distracted and didn't stop to say HI. (it was the cat's fault) LOL!!
    Tom E.'s being a pest. most of the day. though he did have a nice long nap around lunch time.
    Cold here and gonna be cold for a week or so. I really want my Introduction To Spring back!
    I just have to remember that its almost February...and then we can expect to see upper 60's and 70's for several days at a time...sometimes between snow and ice even!!

Tomorrow morning is early hockey, so I'm about to clean cat boxes, (again, and yet again), and pour myself a glass of water for during the night...and set up the Keurig...and ZZZzzzz!

Hope everybody's day as gone well, and I'll try to read tomorrow before I leave, but don't look for a reply or a hello til I get home. (There will be a Whole Foods run after the game.)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Things happen, It's the cats fault :)

I'm pretty sure that February is the worst month for weather here.

I hope the Hockey was enjoyable.

I check to see if they ever got the Whole Foods that has been under construction forever finished. Nope, Not yet, Maybe this year. I do have to wonder if it is political obstruction or due to the Amazon buyout. It is marginally further than the ShopRite and it would have to offer unique items, hopefully. I do plan to go see what and how it is if it ever opens up.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Surprise!!!
    On my way out the door, just thought I'd drop in and say Hi....
    Its 18 degrees by the way, and I'm going outside??? I must be nuts as the cat. Who demanded to be let out. He didn't stay out long! :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    I hear You, it was 15 here and I was wondering if I was crazy as I headed out to walk this morning :)

Stay Warm
    Roger
  • parityanimal

RogerToo wrote: »

I find that a little strange that the cheese did not stay crispy, I wonder if it is related to the type of cheese.

I hope to get to the Acme grocery store later today and probably the Dollar Store.

I find that weird that You could only find Zinc at the drug store. Hmm...

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

I'm sure it's more related to the fact that I microwaved the leftovers, rather than re-baking. It was all just as delicious as the first time around and I may very well try to re-create that casserole again sometime.

• GardenKatGardens
    Hi Again!
    Its sunny and light wind, and colder than ___________! Its finally above freezing but not by much. Car warmed nicely while I was shopping in Whole Foods...and they HAD MY Chicken Fried Tofu! Gonna be a good day! Picked up a few grocery items, and a whole lot of BOGO soups, (they don't call it BOGO but it is)..and my tofu, and another container of salad add ons that I don't have or am too lazy to fix. Like grape halves, and some really tasty micro-greens, and such.

Ed...trying to find you....need to set a time so I can give you the Flaming Hot Chips and chat over a cup of coffee, or tea which ever you'll prefer.

Heading for a nice long nap, to be followed by folding the load of clothes I washed and dried this morning, and some kitchen kp. and whatever else comes my way.

Loved the pix of the white dog sleeping with the baby, and laughed out loud at the bag of corn that was labeled bananas!!!! (that mistake took a really 'sharp tack'.)

DId I see the gal drinking what in reality is water out of a Hershey's Chocolate Syrup bottle at the gym here? or from one of my buddies? I so would love to do that! The peeps at the gym that know me would fall out laughing, and those that don't would surely be confused!

Ok, going to get warm under a pile of covers while I nap!

Later...