Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Tonight's vegan dinner of spicy grilled vegetables. The microwave grill isn't all that big, so it was cooked in batches and held warm in the oven until all were done. Spicy grilled carrots, onion, cauliflower, potato, and mushrooms.

v6pmstotyd3e.jpg
    Hi Ed
    That meal looks tasty, I wish I could eat more potatoes, They just add water weight and make me feel sweaty however :(

In my case the reason for using the Microwave is to save the Electric from the oven being needed :)

OTOH I am cheap and like the speed of the MW.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 47 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 0% chance of precipitation.

Still got laundry to finish. One more large load for the dryer and of course folding.

Might get out for a couple of grocery items today. It sounds like it will be a nice day for it.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Please note that the opinions expressed in this video are not necessarily mine..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvc-9T3eoH4
  • parityanimal
    He didn't want to hold a kitten. Because he knew he'd fall in love with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGZCxvzjQo
  • parityanimal
    People try the new Diet Coke flavors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZmIl9SsXk
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Tonight's vegan dinner of spicy grilled vegetables. The microwave grill isn't all that big, so it was cooked in batches and held warm in the oven until all were done. Spicy grilled carrots, onion, cauliflower, potato, and mushrooms.

Hi Ed
    That meal looks tasty, I wish I could eat more potatoes, They just add water weight and make me feel sweaty however :(

In my case the reason for using the Microwave is to save the Electric from the oven being needed :)

Cheers
    Roger

Well, that was only one medium large potato so neither of us got what I would call a heaping serving of potato. We did each get plenty of the other veggies though. Cauliflower is probably J's favorite vegetable and I know he really liked last night's dinner. I rather enjoyed it myself. I don't think I'm using all that much electricity keeping the oven at only 170 to hold food warm, and in any case absolutely did not want our waiting veggies to get cold while grilling the next batches! I did the carrots and onions, then the cauliflower, then the potatoes, and finally the mushrooms.

J was working on some electronic project at the kitchen table and he watched the entire process with, I think, a mixture of amusement and amazement. I know how to prep the next item while the current item is cooking so I had a constant back and forth between the oven and the sink/prep area. While the carrots and onions were cooking, I was prepping the cauliflower and while the cauliflower was cooking I was prepping the potato. The mushrooms were already sliced but I did still put them in the ziplock bag with the remaining spiced olive oil and gave them a good shake, while the potatoes were grilling. The spicy smoke/steam from the microwave made me cough a bit and J was rather amused by that, but I think was more amazed by the fairly quick way I whipped it all up after lining up the veggies on the counter and getting the ziplock bag ready so I could be as efficient as possible.

Plated it all up and each of us had a pretty big, filling dinner there. I would definitely eat it all again and probably will.

Despite the grill looking rather appalling with grilled on bits of food, I let it soak with maybe 3/4 cup of lightly soapy hot water while we were eating and it came clean quite easily. I think I love these microwave grills!
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Short and quick...
    Good Morning!
    Need to be moving in a fairly short time...enjoyed the pix, and the vid's...question about the vids...the voices sound weird..like not real people? Sounds like my Mac reading to me. Something about the cadence and the basically flat/monotone? May just be my ears.

I'd like to try the Coke's, even though I gave them up in favor of keeping my bones strong, I'd be interested. Everybody seemed to like the Mango Coke. Hmmmm.

Slept in this morning...I was awake at about 6:30, decided nope! Slept until after 8, well after 8. But woke refreshed and ready to go!

Made another batch of my oil free vegan 'Ranch' dressing. I love this stuff!

Face Book! They are quibling with me over my name. Apparently they don't believe my name is Gardenkat1. And if I don't come clean and give them my legal name they're going to boot me off fb. (they'd sh1t a brick if they knew I sign up for these webinars and stuff using the first name 'Carrot'. Pretty clever, right?? Makes me laugh! BUT apparently they have NO sense of humor!

Ed...I loved your grilled vegan dinner!!! I may be about to rethink my dinner and drag out the Foreman. I have, on hand, mushrooms, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, and onions. (Kinda my 'staples'. I also have red, green, and yellow peppers..red cabbage, green cabbage, and more)

Roger, I hope warmer temps come your way...I really couldn't push myself out the door in those temps. Nope, just couldn't do it, said the old Missouri Mule!!! LOL!!!

ok, gotta run... be back later...
  • RogerToo
    XoJpLK.jpg

Ku1RCe.jpg

LQKENG.jpg

IDLgoc.jpg

XbgXxD.gif

rK9Shb.jpg

nENRS7.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and No cents. The temperature this morning was 33 on the porch and 31 on the cable news channel, lower than yesterday. The snow from the yesterday's forecast did arrive overnight and had stopped by the time I left for my walk. This mornings forecast shows more snow arriving later today.

The scale was lower than yesterday morning, again, It seems that the "Time-restricted eating" combined with a 100% NS plan is working well so far.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

http://www.modbee.com/latest-news/article197019289.html
    Winton meat company responds after photos of raw meat entering store go viral
    By Brian Clark, January 27, 2018 09:20 AM

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/sky-s-the-limit-for-japan-s-pint-sized-olympic-skateboarding-hope-9903862
    Sky's the limit for Japan's pint-sized Olympic skateboarding hope
    Sky Brown is not your typical nine-year-old.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article197092569.html#fmp
    The Florida is the worst state in the nation in every way, new rankings say
    By Howard Cohen, January 28, 2018 10:38 AM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-26/flu-season-from-hell-keeps-getting-worse

Flu Season From Hell Keeps Getting Worse
    Now your kids are spreading it. More than 50,000 deaths are expected before it finally ends.
    By Michelle Cortez, Updated on https://imageshack.com/a/img923/7452/Ku1RCe.jpgJanuary 26, 2018, 5:08 PM EST

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 47 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 0% chance of precipitation.

Still got laundry to finish. One more large load for the dryer and of course folding.

Might get out for a couple of grocery items today. It sounds like it will be a nice day for it.
    Hi Ed
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi Ed

Cheers
    Roger

Well, that was only one medium large potato so neither of us got what I would call a heaping serving of potato. We did each get plenty of the other veggies though. Cauliflower is probably J's favorite vegetable and I know he really liked last night's dinner. I rather enjoyed it myself. I don't think I'm using all that much electricity keeping the oven at only 170 to hold food warm, and in any case absolutely did not want our waiting veggies to get cold while grilling the next batches! I did the carrots and onions, then the cauliflower, then the potatoes, and finally the mushrooms.

J was working on some electronic project at the kitchen table and he watched the entire process with, I think, a mixture of amusement and amazement. I know how to prep the next item while the current item is cooking so I had a constant back and forth between the oven and the sink/prep area. While the carrots and onions were cooking, I was prepping the cauliflower and while the cauliflower was cooking I was prepping the potato. The mushrooms were already sliced but I did still put them in the ziplock bag with the remaining spiced olive oil and gave them a good shake, while the potatoes were grilling. The spicy smoke/steam from the microwave made me cough a bit and J was rather amused by that, but I think was more amazed by the fairly quick way I whipped it all up after lining up the veggies on the counter and getting the ziplock bag ready so I could be as efficient as possible.

Plated it all up and each of us had a pretty big, filling dinner there. I would definitely eat it all again and probably will.

Despite the grill looking rather appalling with grilled on bits of food, I let it soak with maybe 3/4 cup of lightly soapy hot water while we were eating and it came clean quite easily. I think I love these microwave grills!
    Hmm... I thought I was the only one that has a problem with spices heating, I include Hot Peppers when my brother fries them. I end up coughing, My nose starts running and my throat burns. I have to retreat to the bedroom and close the door when he does that.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Short and quick...
    Good Morning!
    Need to be moving in a fairly short time...enjoyed the pix, and the vid's...question about the vids...the voices sound weird..like not real people? Sounds like my Mac reading to me. Something about the cadence and the basically flat/monotone? May just be my ears.

I'd like to try the Coke's, even though I gave them up in favor of keeping my bones strong, I'd be interested. Everybody seemed to like the Mango Coke. Hmmmm.

Slept in this morning...I was awake at about 6:30, decided nope! Slept until after 8, well after 8. But woke refreshed and ready to go!

Made another batch of my oil free vegan 'Ranch' dressing. I love this stuff!

Face Book! They are quibling with me over my name. Apparently they don't believe my name is Gardenkat1. And if I don't come clean and give them my legal name they're going to boot me off fb. (they'd sh1t a brick if they knew I sign up for these webinars and stuff using the first name 'Carrot'. Pretty clever, right?? Makes me laugh! BUT apparently they have NO sense of humor!

Ed...I loved your grilled vegan dinner!!! I may be about to rethink my dinner and drag out the Foreman. I have, on hand, mushrooms, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, and onions. (Kinda my 'staples'. I also have red, green, and yellow peppers..red cabbage, green cabbage, and more)

Roger, I hope warmer temps come your way...I really couldn't push myself out the door in those temps. Nope, just couldn't do it, said the old Missouri Mule!!! LOL!!!

ok, gotta run... be back later...

Hi Valerie
    Coke is bad for bones, I had not heard about that.

Do You want to keep Facebook, if You have to use Your real name ? I wonder if that is triggered by the amount of fake users ?

So far the temperatures are decreasing since Sunday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

30 out there now with an expected high of 45 and no chance of precipitation.

Still need to fold that last load of laundry. I might get to that today. Also need to clear the sink, slop the hogs, and get out to the vet for some more 1 ml syringes with half inch narrow needles. I used the last one to shoot Lilo this morning. Still got quite a bit of her medicine, so don't need that expensive stuff refilled just yet. I wish I could get a similar weekly shot for myself and that it would work as well, but I guess I'll just stick to my glucosamine/MSM combination oral supplement. I can afford that anyway. Usually.

Waiting for my plain Brillo pads that I ordered on Amazon. I looked at Aldi and at Publix and couldn't find any. Probably could have picked up something appropriate at a hardware store, but didn't want to go further afield. I want to get our "new" cast iron seasoned and start using some of our cast iron. I did throw away 3 of the old, scarred, nonstick pans. More to dispose of I'm sure, when I start re-arranging that cabinet. Getting down to rearrange it will be easy enough, but getting back up may be a bit problematical.

And I can't get rid of too many sauce pans as I don't have cast iron sauce pans. I do want to replace what I have with stainless, but can't really afford that right now. Maybe one at a time later. Not sure if I want a whole set of stainless as I'd like to start using the cast iron skillets and griddle, and a whole set of stainless would generally include more skillets. Maybe if it only has a deep skillet...as I don't have a really deep cast iron skillet. Not that I use a really deep skillet much any more. D used to use it for his hamburger helper. Should have sent it to Arizona with him when he left, since I really never uses it much.

I do have an enormous cast iron dutch oven, but only because I hadn't realized how big it really was until it arrived. I've never used it but ought to start using it for something, or give it away.

Why can't laundry learn to fold itself anyway? All this wonderful, modern technology and we don't have self folding laundry yet. I think maybe the scientists are focusing on the wrong things.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Speaking of stainless pans...wonder if this trick works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBqCpPuerjI
  • parityanimal
    Pizza is really not good for kittens. But then it's not all that good for people either and we eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNMKCDHSsE
  • parityanimal
    Cats stealing food. Dinah would be much more direct, given the opportunity, I'm sure. She is not shy about asking for our food and would steal it in a heartbeat if she thought she'd get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FABmEzOAw
  • parityanimal
    Short and quick...
    Good Morning!

I am with you on that and think for some of them the voice is a computer generated voice. I guess that's cheaper and easier, in some cases, than paying a human to do the voice over? I'm not really sure of the reasoning. It doesn't make it any easier to listen to or understand, and in fact I find it rather annoying myself, but if the video is otherwise interesting enough to me I suffer through it.

Did you get the grill out? Jason was delighted with our grilled veggie dinner. And so was I. I don't go pure vegan all that often, usually at least adding cheese if it's an all vegetable dinner, but that night I had lots of vegetables handy and Eduardo just went for it.

• parityanimal
    edited January 2018
    Tonight's tasty grilled dinner:

For me, smoked sausage with potatoes and onions.

For J, East Indian spiced cauliflower, potatoes, and onions.

ykyx55m60c2p.jpg

o0ek37d3e3r4.jpg

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Yikes...so much to address!
    Carbonated soft drinks...not just Cokes, are supposedly not good for bones, and since I battled osteoporosis for awhile, it was enough to make me give up a life long habit. Mom used to day that when they had folks over to visit, you had to hold on to your drink, or watch me really carefully. Apparently I'd crawl over and steal drinks!!!
    And yes I will keep fb...the dirty rats, cuz I'd miss it. I still keep up with some of the original NS'ers, and family...like the 2 nephews in CA. and my SIL in Texas, etc...It just irritates me, that after about 10 years they decide I can't be Garden Kat.

Our temps are going down, down, down tonite. It managed to get a bit below freezing last night, but tonite they're saying 25 degrees. I want my warm weather back she whines!!!

I had a nice warm kitchen, dining room and living room for awhile this evening...Roasting veggies at 425 degrees will warm things up in a hurry! In the summer I'll use the toaster oven if I just HAVE to bake something....and I"m not going to look it up right now, but at least in the past the wattage of microwave ovens were/are high enough to off set any financial gain over the toaster oven, or the gas oven...I don't know that is still true though...

The pizza eating kitten cracked me up. Persistence must be its middle name! Reminded me of a young cat that Jack's college roommate had...if they ordered Chinese take out...the cat got the biggest piece of broccoli, and she'd straddle that broccoli and growl and fluff up if she even 'thought' you might have eyes on 'HER' broccoli!!!

No, Ed as you may have guessed already I did not grill. Now I don't even recall why not! Probably got all outta shape over the fb thing.
    Today it is a 'new' thing....I have my tax papers and decided to do my Turbo Tax today. I mean its only 5 or so pieces of paper. Last year's taxes paid on house, and SS and my 401k distribution and the forced distribution I have to take each year... how wrong can it go???

Well, I'm going to have to start over...I supposedly owe the gov't $12....what?? everythings pretty much exactly what it was last year...and I got a hefty $600+ refund. Wait, what the heck? I've messed something up! Jack called and brought that to a screeching halt, which is probably a good thing. I'll get a good nights sleep, and start over tomorrow.

Meanwhile, kitchen is cleaned, dishwasher is running, clothes are all washed for me...hairy cat load of towels and furniture throws still needs to be washed and dried...BUT all the clean clothes, towels, bathrobe, etc are waiting for me on my bed. In other words, no sleepy til foldy happens. (spell check not to happy about 'foldy', but I'm sure you two will get it!)

And with that thought in mind...a folding I must go........

Later...
    Oh, ED...I posted a 3+ minute video this morning that you need to watch...it has facinated me. From one extreme sized look at our universe, down to a tiny one atom.
    Roger I can't seem to find a link that will email...I wanted to send it to Ted today...but the web site is 'physics-astronomy.com'. The video is 'Smiling Face' and its on about page arrow right on most watched video...I think that will make sense when you get to the web site.
    Best video I've seen in quite awhile...in the 'educational' category!

Oh look look! I missed the State of the Uniom address...er State of the Union :) Wouldn't do my blood pressure any good to have watched. I'll see it all on he 11p news, and all over my news feeds on my iPad. Pity!!!

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 28 out there now with an expected high of 53 and 0% chance of precipitation. Might pop outside, briefly (because it's *KITTEN* cold out there!), to see if the eclipse is visible or not. Haven't checked to see if it's cloudy yet, as I can do that when I get out there and not have to rely on the weather page to tell me what I can see for myself.

I'll bring my hot tea with me, and my phone, in case of any photo ops.

I've eaten, some chicken flavored ready rice and some plain, full fat, Greek yogurt. Dinah was happy to lick the paper bowl from the yogurt but Kiara wanted to bury it.

The pigs...er cats are eating their flaked tuna kitty cat entrée now. I tried Lilo on a different dry food and she ate ALL her food yesterday, so I think maybe (crossed fingers) that I've found something she really likes, and is healthy for senior cats too. If she continues in this vein with the rest of the free sample I picked up at the vet (while picking up her medical supplies for the Tuesday morning shots) then I'll buy a full size bag of the stuff and give it a try.

Need to clear the sink. I DID get all the laundry folded and put away yesterday. And, of course, this morning I put "away" the clean grills that had been air drying overnight. I didn't really put them "away" of course, just got them off the counters where they were, and back out of the way, but very handy for the next grilling. Last night's grilled smoked sausage, potatoes, and onions really hit the spot and J said his Indian spiced potatoes, cauliflower, and onion were good too.

• parityanimal
    Things you do at a wedding that might be creepy anywhere/time else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXx1QwW-cfU