Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
  • parityanimal
    And let's have some coffee to go with these doughnuts. Val, I know you already saw this on FaceBook. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbsXOk0gcjU
  • parityanimal
    As we get older, we may need to know things like how to pit a prune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4MB9YhOXb8
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi! Nice Sunday...hockey game was a hoot...the goalie didn't show, didn't let anyone know...so Nate was appointed goalie!!! LOL! Its a boring position to play he says.. :)
    They lost 3-6 but nobody was surprised.
    Being the last game there were 'trophy's....drinking glasses that looked a whole lot like beer glasses???? What was the rink thinking? or who failed to get their job done right? Oh, well.

So, stopped by Whole Foods and got my chicken fried tofu, some hummus, 2 chunks of daikon radish, some more of the chocolate spirulina chunks. also some steamed Wakame from the hot bar, and lentils. (I knew I wasn't cooking today).
    Worked in the back yard for about 2.5 hours today, and it looks much better, but long way to go...Tom E. laid on the outdoor table and 'supervised' most of the time. :)

So now I know how prunes get pitted!! Kinda neat. I generally buy pitted prunes, but I'm very proficient at pitting prunes...eating the soft part and spitting the seed out in the trash! I've loved prunes since I was a little kid. I know, weird as Tom E. I am! I also remember baking brownies using prunes in place of fat back in the early 'low fat days'....The advantage is you're afraid to eat too many brownie's! LOL!!!

I think tha's about it for today. I may not see all of tonites Olympics. Sleep is on my mind! I think I heard rain for tomorrow, so it will be clean up the kitchen, do laundry, and other indoor chores...boring!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    The rare three headed duck captured in a picture
    pWirt0.jpg

KG1I7c.jpg

PqzujP.jpg

NS8S16.jpg
    Completely Edible :)

Dbzdkn.jpg

Q6yxn9.jpg
    Does the rice get stuck in the blender

ww9MGA.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and no cents. The temperature this morning was 28 on the porch and 36 on the cable news channel. The snow that had fallen has melted away in most places leaving decent footing for my walk.

Sunday Morning we broke down the rest of the Ham into portions and today I will Vacuum seal some of them. That way they can go into the freezer to serve as protein servings for me :)

The scale was nicely lower than yesterday morning, again, It seems that the "Time-restricted eating" combined with a 100% NS plan is working really well so far. Whee
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

https://deadspin.com/source-espn-com-altered-a-headline-and-buried-stories-1823014722
    ESPN.com Altered A Headline And Buried Stories To Placate Advertisers

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/16/road-rage-oceanside/
    Caught On Camera: Truck Overturns After Oceanside Road Rage Incident Escalates

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/cleaning-products-lungs-damage-cigarettes-smoking-20-day-scientists-warning-a8214051.html
    Cleaning products as bad for lungs as smoking 20 cigarettes a day, scientists warn

https://apnews.com/d63e11d7746d4893bdaf3389601b7e20/'Is-this-a-kind-of-mistake?'-Snowboarder-wins-Alpine-gold
    'Is this a kind of mistake?' Snowboarder wins Alpine gold
    Which is why the part-time ski racer, part-time snowboarder from the Czech Republic stood so still, absolutely motionless and expressionless, for several moments after crossing the finish line in the Olympic super-G and seeing the numbers on a video board that appeared to show she was fast enough to be the gold medalist.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pilot-forced-make-emergency-landing-12038181
    Pilot forced to make emergency landing after fight breaks out when passenger refuses to stop
    The Dubai to Amsterdam flight made an unscheduled stop in Vienna as the elderly overweight man reportedly refused to contain himself

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/massive-earthquake-hits-britain-tremors-12042097
    Britain hit by EARTHQUAKE as people report ‘violent shaking’ in homes from Cornwall to Blackpool

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/920272/earthquake-news-california-big-one-pacific-ring-of-fire-latest-update
    'Big One' fears mount as earthquake 'cluster' strikes Pacific Ring of Fire

Just so wrong IMO, It's only politics
    Apparently the fact that he is suffering a bereavment does not matter to them

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/16/twitter-savages-father-parkland-victim-trump-shirt/
    Anti-Trumpers Savage Father Of Parkland Victim – Simply Because He Was Wearing A Trump 2020 Shirt
    Or this one
    https://www.infowars.com/far-left-group-calls-for-murdering-republicans-as-revenge-for-florida-school-shooting/

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

47 out there now with an expected high of 66 and 50% chance of rain. We did have a nice afternoon yesterday, but on the way home from the party experienced more rain. The party was nice enough, about 28 people there I think. Lasagna and another pasta dish were the main courses and there were plenty of sides and desserts. I didn't bring anything this time but I did bake the frozen lasagna, using the host's oven.

The host apparently loves lasagna or maybe just thinks it's a handy dish for parties. Twice now, when we've been at his parties, I've been the one who actually baked the frozen lasagna. I have no issue with this at all. I'm not sure why he wants someone else to bake the lasagna, but I can do that. Maybe it takes just one thing off his party "to do" agenda, leaving him to attend to other details. We got there early, helping with other last minute details, and I got the lasagna in the oven right away, but it still went into the party time a bit.

There was plenty of other food to snack on, including the other hot pasta dish that a guest brought, so no one went hungry waiting for the lasagna. Unless they just chose to go hungry.

J and I really didn't eat much at the party. In fact, I don't think J ate anything. The host offered a rum and Coke right away, and I took one (Diet Coke), to sip while finishing up party preparations and then nibbled a few chips and some ham. Had one small taste of some potato salad, a few bites of chicken salad, and a few bites of various desserts.

After that it was just chatting and socializing while sipping on the rum and Coke and we left before the party fully ended, but not before a few others, so we weren't the early bird leavers.

We stopped for Thai food on the way home. I ate a cup of soup (Thom Ka Kai) and one bite of an entree, getting the rest for carryout. Lunch is assured today. :)

Need to get the last of yesterday's laundry folded today, and get out to the grocery. Hopefully I can get Eddie to do a little bit more housework today too, and get a nap in.
    Hi Ed
    Commercial store bought Frozen Lasagna or Homemade and then frozen. We still have some Homemade Frozen Lasagna in the freezer, it was Broken up into servings.

My Problem with many Lasagnas is the ratio of Pasta to Cheeses and Meats. The ones my brother makes are loaded with cheeses and meat. Usually Ground Beef. Another option is Crumbled Italian Sausage in place of the Ground Beef.

Normally my brother does the grocery run however he decided that prudence dictated not going. Possibly today as he is out of India Relish and Lettuce, I am down to the last two slices of 647 Wheat Bread.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi! Nice Sunday...hockey game was a hoot...the goalie didn't show, didn't let anyone know...so Nate was appointed goalie!!! LOL! Its a boring position to play he says.. :)
    They lost 3-6 but nobody was surprised.
    Being the last game there were 'trophy's....drinking glasses that looked a whole lot like beer glasses???? What was the rink thinking? or who failed to get their job done right? Oh, well.

So, stopped by Whole Foods and got my chicken fried tofu, some hummus, 2 chunks of daikon radish, some more of the chocolate spirulina chunks. also some steamed Wakame from the hot bar, and lentils. (I knew I wasn't cooking today).
    Worked in the back yard for about 2.5 hours today, and it looks much better, but long way to go...Tom E. laid on the outdoor table and 'supervised' most of the time. :)

So now I know how prunes get pitted!! Kinda neat. I generally buy pitted prunes, but I'm very proficient at pitting prunes...eating the soft part and spitting the seed out in the trash! I've loved prunes since I was a little kid. I know, weird as Tom E. I am! I also remember baking brownies using prunes in place of fat back in the early 'low fat days'....The advantage is you're afraid to eat too many brownie's! LOL!!!

I think that's about it for today. I may not see all of tonites Olympics. Sleep is on my mind! I think I heard rain for tomorrow, so it will be clean up the kitchen, do laundry, and other indoor chores...boring!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    TBH beer glasses would be OK by me as long as they did not hold beer :smiley:
    I would not be surprised if they only had that style of glasses.

I passed by branches off of trees that were probably broken off by the wet snow.

Who hasn't done that with seeds ? I do it with Prunes that have pits, Cherries, Watermelon and Grapes that have seeds.

I tried the new Strawberry Yogurt flavored bar Lunch Entree...
    Tasty if Very Sweet and a Good Texture and it even smelled like Strawberries when I opened it.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 56 out there now with an expected high of 72 and 30% chance of precipitation. I need to get out to buy cat food and maybe a couple of other things. I did the major grocery shopping yesterday, so today's can be a short run.

Tonight I have to remember to check in and see if I need to physically report for Jury duty tomorrow.

RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Commercial store bought Frozen Lasagna or Homemade and then frozen. We still have some Homemade Frozen Lasagna in the freezer, it was Broken up into servings.

My Problem with many Lasagnas is the ratio of Pasta to Cheeses and Meats. The ones my brother makes are loaded with cheeses and meat. Usually Ground Beef. Another option is Crumbled Italian Sausage in place of the Ground Beef.

Normally my brother does the grocery run however he decided that prudence dictated not going. Possibly today as he is out of India Relish and Lettuce, I am down to the last two slices of 647 Wheat Bread.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

This was store bought frozen lasagna. Stouffers is pretty good, for store bought, but I agree with you on the ratios. When I make lasagna (which is exceedingly rare) I like more fillings than noodles too. And of course, with J not eating meat, I'd have to make two pans to feed us both, or only make it when he's out of town.

Need to feed the cats and get the sink cleared.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2018
    Trying a recipe from a century ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UdHAuW_Oc
  • parityanimal
    How it's made: Roquefort cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-mpoFyEN8
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 56 out there now with an expected high of 72 and 30% chance of precipitation. I need to get out to buy cat food and maybe a couple of other things. I did the major grocery shopping yesterday, so today's can be a short run.

Tonight I have to remember to check in and see if I need to physically report for Jury duty tomorrow.
    Hi Ed

Have a Good Day
    Roger

This was store bought frozen lasagna. Stouffers is pretty good, for store bought, but I agree with you on the ratios. When I make lasagna (which is exceedingly rare) I like more fillings than noodles too. And of course, with J not eating meat, I'd have to make two pans to feed us both, or only make it when he's out of town.

Need to feed the cats and get the sink cleared.
    Hi Again
    It sounds like really nice weather and if I remember the weather forecasts it is headed our way for later in the week.

Our Jury Duty works pretty much the same was for the County Juries, If I remember properly federal Jury duty works a little differently. Good Luck with the Jury Duty, Which outcome You want depends on if You want to go or not. Here the money they pay is a pittance compared to most anything.

I got the word that my Brother is making the ShopRite run later on, I think 90% I will go with him as I need some apples and such and prefer to select my own fruit, He does not seem to notice some types of defects.

Making Lasagna here is fairly rare too since both of us are watching what we eat.
    BTW My Brother uses the No Cook Pasta where You soak it in water as he feels that is both easier and less likely to result in broken pasta.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Hi Again
    It sounds like really nice weather and if I remember the weather forecasts it is headed our way for later in the week.

Our Jury Duty works pretty much the same was for the County Juries, If I remember properly federal Jury duty works a little differently. Good Luck with the Jury Duty, Which outcome You want depends on if You want to go or not. Here the money they pay is a pittance compared to most anything.

I got the word that my Brother is making the ShopRite run later on, I think 90% I will go with him as I need some apples and such and prefer to select my own fruit, He does not seem to notice some types of defects.

Making Lasagna here is fairly rare too since both of us are watching what we eat.
    BTW My Brother uses the No Cook Pasta where You soak it in water as he feels that is both easier and less likely to result in broken pasta.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

When I lived in Memphis, I was called once for Jury duty, right after I retired. Amazingly, one of my co-workers who retired at the same time I did was there as well.

We couldn't just call in or check online, like I can here, so we actually had to go down to the courthouse and sit in a big room. Jury duty in Memphis was definitely a cash loss operation for the potential jurors, as it only paid $10 or $15 dollars a day. Not even enough to cover driving downtown, paying for parking, and getting lunch.

Luckily, I knew a nice Thai restaurant downtown so even though I was losing money, I at least had a nice lunch!

I got picked for the very first jury pool so a couple dozen of us went and sat in the hall outside a courtroom. And sat. And sat. And finally got sent to lunch with strict instructions to be sure to come back by a certain time or face a cash penalty. Since we were all losing money for the day anyway, we all came back in plenty of time.

So we sat some more. Finally, after another hour or so, we were called in to the court room. During all our sitting in the hall, people came and went through the court room doors, but when we went in only the judge and a bailiff were in there. We all sat down, in the court itself, and the judge thanked us for our patience.

He said that often just having a jury waiting was sufficient to convince a defendant to accept a plea bargain instead of going to trial, as the defendant could clearly see, with the jury pool waiting in the hall, that they were, indeed, prepared to bring this to trial. In our case, the defendant decided to plea out and the judge thanked us for our time and told us we had completed our jury duty. We didn't have to come back, as they felt our sitting there in the hall for hours was sufficient, and we had done our job.

Needless to say, all of us were delighted as I had thought we would have to go through the same thing (and lose more money) coming back the next day.

Here, I'm hoping that even if I DO have to go in, it may work out as well, either not ever being picked (I can catch up on some reading) or being picked for something relatively short and sweet.

When J was called a couple of years ago, he only had to go in one day, near the end of the week, and didn't get picked for a trial on that day so his jury duty was relatively painless.
  • RogerToo
    lThjvV.gif

PT3HIa.jpg

krgjqS.jpg

VhDUrX.jpg

u2rWqD.jpg

y84BpJ.jpg

098ZPM.jpg
    FW 190 being recovered
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and no cents. The temperature this morning was 47 on the porch and 48 on the cable news channel. There was a light mist falling while I was walking and causing a bit of a haze in the air. I dressed lightly due to the warmer temperature.

I got my Income tax refund in the mail Saturday, Too late to do anything with it until Tuesday due to the weekend and Monday's holiday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/02/16/new-swiss-law-pain-free-deaths-lobsters-flushing-goldfish-down-toilet-breaking-law-according-new-swi/341412002/
    In a world first, Switzerland deems it illegal to boil a lobster

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/15/vandal-replaces-american-flag-at-utah-high-school-with-isis-flag/
    Hurricane police call in FBI after ISIS flag is found flying at southern Utah high school

https://www.timesunion.com/paul_grondahl/article/We-cannot-tell-a-lie-That-s-Washington-s-hair-12609455.php
    Lock of Washington's hair discovered at Union College

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_31674904/lowell-woman-held-road-rage-slaying
    Lowell woman held in road-rage slaying
    Charged in shooting death of Peabody man

This is an older item, however it is interesting
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-cancer-trigger-20170625-story.html
    [bJohns Hopkins researchers say they've unlocked key to cancer metastasis and how to slow it[/b]

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgia-school-drug-test-students-using-hair-samples/FODr4nVXUeaX2Oc1WyJH1L/
    Georgia school to drug-test students by using hair samples
    Local | WSBTV

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    When I lived in Memphis, I was called once for Jury duty, right after I retired. Amazingly, one of my co-workers who retired at the same time I did was there as well.

We couldn't just call in or check online, like I can here, so we actually had to go down to the courthouse and sit in a big room. Jury duty in Memphis was definitely a cash loss operation for the potential jurors, as it only paid $10 or $15 dollars a day. Not even enough to cover driving downtown, paying for parking, and getting lunch.

Luckily, I knew a nice Thai restaurant downtown so even though I was losing money, I at least had a nice lunch!

I got picked for the very first jury pool so a couple dozen of us went and sat in the hall outside a courtroom. And sat. And sat. And finally got sent to lunch with strict instructions to be sure to come back by a certain time or face a cash penalty. Since we were all losing money for the day anyway, we all came back in plenty of time.

So we sat some more. Finally, after another hour or so, we were called in to the court room. During all our sitting in the hall, people came and went through the court room doors, but when we went in only the judge and a bailiff were in there. We all sat down, in the court itself, and the judge thanked us for our patience.

He said that often just having a jury waiting was sufficient to convince a defendant to accept a plea bargain instead of going to trial, as the defendant could clearly see, with the jury pool waiting in the hall, that they were, indeed, prepared to bring this to trial. In our case, the defendant decided to plea out and the judge thanked us for our time and told us we had completed our jury duty. We didn't have to come back, as they felt our sitting there in the hall for hours was sufficient, and we had done our job.

Needless to say, all of us were delighted as I had thought we would have to go through the same thing (and lose more money) coming back the next day.

Here, I'm hoping that even if I DO have to go in, it may work out as well, either not ever being picked (I can catch up on some reading) or being picked for something relatively short and sweet.

When J was called a couple of years ago, he only had to go in one day, near the end of the week, and didn't get picked for a trial on that day so his jury duty was relatively painless.
    Hi Ed
    Interesting that You ran into a fellow Co-worker who is also retired. In NJ supposedly the Jury pool is culled from the drivers license names.

That is a interesting reason for having a jury waiting. In NJ also, unless selected for a jury it is one day also as far as I remember it.

If I said I am feeling like having some Thai Food at lunch time in the near future. Mom enjoyed being on a jury, why I do not know as I would dislike it as do You as I read Your reply. It sounds as if Yours went OK so at least You only went for one day.
    My nightmare scenario would be getting selected for a jury that ends up sequestered.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. 65 out there now with an expected high of 72 and 20% chance of precipitation. Didn't need to drive to Lawrenceville this morning. Will find out tonight whether I'll need to tomorrow.

Need to wash yesterday's cat bowls. And see if BOTH my scrips at Walgreens are ready. I got email early this morning that they were working on them, and later got email telling me that ONE of them was ready, but not both. I don't want to go there to get one and then have to wait while they complete the other, or go back later to get the other...so I'll check in a while if I don't get another email.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal