Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Good Morning! Friday the 13th!
    New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, I think I like this guy! Loved the story.
    EKG changes are what sent me to a Cardiologist. Not thrilled, but Medicare and my AARP supplemental will pay for it, so guess I'll have the test and then we'll see what comes next. I wont learn the results of the test until Aug 3rd. They would have done it sooner, but every day they offered I had other appointments.
    Hi Valerie
    You could like him, OTOH from what I see on the news he is not good for the city. His latest great plan is to dumb down the high performing schools.
    And no I don't have a DVR..this is the 'over the air' kid with no cable company. I guess maybe a recorder could be added to the bunch of wires and ports on the TV but not worth the effort!
    You can actually buy DVRs that work with over the air TV signals :smile:
    Roger asked: Here is a question for You, Why do vegans work to imitate non vegan foods ? Why not just go and develop other tastes in foods. I tried the Tofu from the Whole Foods Salad Bar, Brown on the outside and white on the inside, Not for me. I have not seen the Chicken Fried Tofu. I am guessing that it is breaded and deep fried ?
    I know it is on the Hot Bar, It appears to be either deep fried, or pan fried, etc. That's why I call it the least healthy was to eat tofu. (I don't like their tofu salad with the brown outside white inside tofu either! Ted likes it on the other hand..to each his own) I don't know why people try to make vegetables etc taste like non vegan foods. Its a 'gateway food'...In my not so humble opinion! I love tofu for what it is...and I like it cooked, baked, BBQ'ed, fried, etc. Years ago Ed posted how to 'Dry Fry' tofu...its a great tofu 'treatment'... All that said, I bought a packaged of BBQ Jackfruit the other day. I've yet to try jackfruit...so it may be as good as everybody's raves, or maybe not! Its a new food to try!

I did not go to Sweet Tom's. yesterday. Just came home and ate from my refrigerator!! My kinda foods, little prep mostly eat!! LOL! I should make that my mantra!

Ed...I watched the slow cooker Veg. Curry, and then I dutifully wrote down the instructions etc. I think all I need is a sweet potato...For what ever reason the last time I was grocery shopping I did not buy ANY kind of potato! Sleep walking in Kroger???

Ok, so no 'Triskaidekaphobia' at my house.....:)

Later...
    Thanks, I thought maybe I was the weird one with that Tofu. I have had Tofu in Thai Meals where it picks up the flavor of the sauce.

I have never tried Jackfruit so I will not comment, I do look forward to Your impressions of what You bought.

We usually have white potatoes in the house that my brother uses. I tend to have them only with holiday meals :wink:

'Triskaidekaphobia' does not bother me either.
    The Veggie packed curry is in the slow cooker...dinner at 7:30 :)
    Hope all the medium chain saturated coconut milk doesn't kill me before the cardio guy gets to do his test! LOL!!
    30 oz of coconut milk is a LOT! And if there isn't already enough fat, I"m planning to add some chopped salted cashews to the top of what I eat today. :)

Later...
    Late Dinner hour ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 74 with an expected high of 84 and 60% chance of precipitation.

The baked beans for 40+ are in the oven (since 6:30 a.m.) so you know what that means. Yep, it's another pool party day. It's also photography day for the orchid judging.

J plans to take me (picking up a friend on the way) and drop us off at the party location, go do the picture taking, then come back to the party afterward.

It's not essential that I be there early, but we're giving a lift to a friend, and I do usually help with the layout of the food and, if needed, shuttling of freshly cooked burgers and hot dogs from the grill to the serving area. There are usually several volunteers available for the shuttling, but I also ensure that the desserts all end up on the same tables, the snacks and sides go where they belong, plastic serving spoons are stuck into everything that needs them, plastic knives for cakes and pies, ice is in the ice bucket, and the bottled water is accessible if I need to move another case up from underneath the table.

M does the actual cooking and M's husband, G sets out the buns and condiments and preps the lettuce, tomato, and onion slices. We've really kind of got the food part down to a science. It's not a disaster if anyone is missing as there is always someone who can fill in. Well, maybe not for making my baked beans for 40+...but they've gone without before and everyone still got plenty to eat.

I also give any new people the grand tour, explaining all the rules that shouldn't have to be explained, but are anyway. Like NO GLASS BOTTLES OR DRINKWARE AT THE POOL. It's amazing how many people just don't think of that one.

I know beer supposedly tastes better out of glass, but people really should just think things through and settle for cans at a pool party.

I've eaten, but the cats haven't yet. I need to clean out their cat bowls from yesterday, get showered, feed the cats, put their kibble down after they have their canned breakfast, and basically get ready for the party.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited July 2018
    Golden Coin Eggs - Spicy fried boiled eggs from Hunan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHmJtV1AKM
  • parityanimal
  • RogerToo
    hY3coW.jpg

xrwFsP.jpg

8NhRG7.jpg

QtUkWm.jpg

HKlHE3.jpg

Cx6FCK.jpg

CrKYO7.gif

Aa8nHJ.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and 12 cents. The Temperature out the door was 77 degrees and It was not comfortable even when the breeze blew. I got lucky less than 5 minutes after I arrived home the skies opened up and the rain poured down.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/here’s-why-you-should-never-wash-chicken-before-cooking-it/ar-AAA2AlW?ocid=spartandhp
    Here’s Why You Should Never Wash Chicken Before Cooking It

https://gulfnews.com/sport/football/worldcup-2018/will-shaheen-get-the-world-cup-winner-right-1.2251100
    Will Shaheen get the World Cup winner right?
    The World Cup predicting camel is backing Croatia to make a massive piece of history for the tiny Balkan nation

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/07/14/wework-bans-meat-employees-expensing-meals-company-events/785409002/
    WeWork bans meat for employees expensing meals, at company events

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/716352/Ryanair-flight-emergency-landing-FR7312-Dublin-Frankfurt-Germany-Zadar-Croatia
    EMERGENCY as plane DROPS 30,000ft in 5 mins - '33 in hospital'

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/12/starbucks-straw-ban-will-see-the-company
    Starbucks Bans Plastic Straws, Winds Up Using More Plastic

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 74 with an expected high of 84 and 60% chance of precipitation.

The baked beans for 40+ are in the oven (since 6:30 a.m.) so you know what that means. Yep, it's another pool party day. It's also photography day for the orchid judging.

J plans to take me (picking up a friend on the way) and drop us off at the party location, go do the picture taking, then come back to the party afterward.

It's not essential that I be there early, but we're giving a lift to a friend, and I do usually help with the layout of the food and, if needed, shuttling of freshly cooked burgers and hot dogs from the grill to the serving area. There are usually several volunteers available for the shuttling, but I also ensure that the desserts all end up on the same tables, the snacks and sides go where they belong, plastic serving spoons are stuck into everything that needs them, plastic knives for cakes and pies, ice is in the ice bucket, and the bottled water is accessible if I need to move another case up from underneath the table.

M does the actual cooking and M's husband, G sets out the buns and condiments and preps the lettuce, tomato, and onion slices. We've really kind of got the food part down to a science. It's not a disaster if anyone is missing as there is always someone who can fill in. Well, maybe not for making my baked beans for 40+...but they've gone without before and everyone still got plenty to eat.

I also give any new people the grand tour, explaining all the rules that shouldn't have to be explained, but are anyway. Like NO GLASS BOTTLES OR DRINKWARE AT THE POOL. It's amazing how many people just don't think of that one.

I know beer supposedly tastes better out of glass, but people really should just think things through and settle for cans at a pool party.

I've eaten, but the cats haven't yet. I need to clean out their cat bowls from yesterday, get showered, feed the cats, put their kibble down after they have their canned breakfast, and basically get ready for the party.
    Hi Ed
    Hot Dogs are something I can only eat if I get them fresh from the Grill into the bun. I have never been able to eat or enjoy a hot dog that is not nice and hot.

How much does it cost You to make enough Baked Beans for 40+ ?

No Glassware is something I would not have thought of as dangerous around a pool, It does make sense however.
    Pourable pizza dough?
    This one I have to see :smiley:
    It sounds weird, I guess I will see when I get to watch the Video

Thanks for the Links
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 74 with an expected high of 87 and 50% chance of precipitation.

The pool party yesterday was great, and the weather turned out OK too. I got a little too much sun, but I'll survive. Most of the baked beans were consumed and one friend even said he would like to possibly commission a pan of them for a party sometime!

Woke up this morning with a headache and feeling kind of icky but that's receded somewhat now. Possibly my blood glucose was low when I got up but that would be very unusual for me, and I didn't check it. I would have if the feeling had persisted very long though.

I've finished off my beef stew. The cats have been fed. I still need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and probably do some laundry.

I might get out to a store today but probably not, as I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyway and will be out for that. I can just stop at Kroger on the way back.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited July 2018
    5 easy substitutes for ground beef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ojcYx5xMA
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Discontinued Taco Bell items that were epic failures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ArInMp_R6g
  • parityanimal
    Things you may not have considered making in a slow cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iK973mpomQ
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Hot Dogs are something I can only eat if I get them fresh from the Grill into the bun. I have never been able to eat or enjoy a hot dog that is not nice and hot.

No Glassware is something I would not have thought of as dangerous around a pool, It does make sense however.

The baked beans aren't terribly expensive to make, probably in the neighborhood of $12.00. I'd have to go back and see how much the aluminum baking pans cost to be sure but that's probably close to it, after factoring in all the beans, the spices, brown sugar, etc. Surely no more than $15 and I really think $12 is closer to it. Even though 3 hours plus on the baking time sounds like a long time I doubt the electricity costs more than dollar either. Probably not.

I mostly use store brand beans, bought on sale, to save money.

I grabbed a hot dog off the tray, fresh off the grill, and ate it as I shuttled the food to the serving area. I know health department rules say no eating in the food prep area, but since we were just an informal pool party, non-commercial, to heck with that rule! LOL. I got my nicely charred hot dog while it was still piping hot.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi Late Sunday evening. What a day!
    Ted came out early and mowed my lawn. I always appreciate that! Then Jack and my granddaughter Olivia arrived. Jack worked on the kitchen project. He says he thinks one more thin layer of 'mud' and then it will be ready hang the cabinet back up.!!! WooHoOOO. I will be happy girl that day!!! Jack also shared with me that he had just learned that his father had died..and it was about 2 years ago. We had not seen nor heard from him for nearly 38 years, I feel badly for the boys, but not for me.
    And I'd ordered the wrong filters for the water line, so that will have to go back tomorrow, and the right filters ordered...grrrrrr! Is what happens when you get in a hurry.
    All of this was going on while the FINAL soccer game was on...Ted watched, I'd come thru and see the score, but never actually got to see much of the game. It was pretty much a blow out. I had no 'real' fav. but would have been happy to see Croatia win their very first World Cup. France was very happy with their win! And it was only the 2nd time for them to win.
    After all that, I watched a podcast and meant to take a nap, but read articles from my iPad news feed instead!
    I made something close to fajita's for dinner, and some summer squash that I fixed with a lot of onion and salt free seasoning I'd gotten right on my Amazon order :)
    So, Tom and I have both eaten, I let Tom stay in for awhile, and then I literally had to chase the little devil out the door! He came bounding across the living room and I opened the door for him, he stopped just short of the door made a hard left hand turn, and the chase was on. I think he enjoys doing that! Like its his idea of a game.

I have a tiny bit of clean up to do in the kitchen and then I'm going to bed. I think its my turn to make a Scrabble word, and my letters are not exactly a good mix. So it should be interesting to see what I can think up.

I watched Emmy make the Hard Times plantain dishes, and am pretty sure that tomorrow after I leave the gym I will be over at the market buying plantains! I'll have to be sure to tell Jack what I've made just to freak him out again like I did the day I told him I'd used radish greens in my pot of mixed greens! I have vegan cheeses so that should work,...trying to decide if I'll use butter or a little oil to bake the plantains...Yes, even though I don't eat it I do keep Butter in my refrigerator.

Oh, and I watched the video on meat substitutes...there was one that looked quite interesting, but mostly I just shook my head...to go to that much trouble with the food processor and mushrooms, or egg plant, and nuts, etc...to turn around and drop in an egg, or other non vegan whatever is strange. Why bother????
    So, tomorrow I'll be eating plantains, the Jack Fruit will wait as its in plastic baggie like stuff and refrigerator shelf life says its good til 7-12-2019...yep, 2019 it says...so I have a 'few' weeks to use it. :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    m2xe65.jpg

8g6IYb.jpg

rY3pOu.jpg

h0PjuL.jpg

U16RVg.jpg

5p1FcZ.jpg

YR0FYt.jpg

C2hx0r.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and 1cent that I spotted laying in a crack, It blended in due to some discoloring and I was lucky enough to see the round shape and look closer. The Temperature out the door was 75degrees and It was sort of comfortable when the breeze blew. Sadly it was intermittent. It rained off and on during the morning then cleared up for the balance of the day. More rain is forecast for Tuesday thus we do not need to water until Thursday if the forecast holds.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/archaeologists-egypt-discover-mummification-worskshop-110445367.html
    Archaeologists in Egypt discover mummification workshop

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ticks-that-carry-lyme-disease-are-spreading-fast/
    Ticks that carry Lyme disease are spreading fast

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/07/11/cute-young-couple-robbing-shoes/
    Young Couple Wanted For Robbing People Of Their Shoe

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/04/23/health-insurance-costs-texas-teachers/
    Health Insurance Costs Could Drive Texas Teachers To Leave

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/07/13/georgia-police-flipping-coin-arrest/
    Cops Under Fire For ‘Flipping A Coin’ To Decide Whether They’ll Arrest Speeding Driver

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Boil-Water-Advisory-in-Effect-for-Major-Portion-of-DC-488088441.html
    Don't Drink the Water: DC Warns Thousands of Contamination Risk

Don't Drink the Water: DC Warns Thousands of Contamination Risk
    Judge orders L.A. Times to alter story about Glendale cop, sparking protest from newspaper

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 74 with an expected high of 87 and 50% chance of precipitation.

The pool party yesterday was great, and the weather turned out OK too. I got a little too much sun, but I'll survive. Most of the baked beans were consumed and one friend even said he would like to possibly commission a pan of them for a party sometime!

Woke up this morning with a headache and feeling kind of icky but that's receded somewhat now. Possibly my blood glucose was low when I got up but that would be very unusual for me, and I didn't check it. I would have if the feeling had persisted very long though.

I've finished off my beef stew. The cats have been fed. I still need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and probably do some laundry.

I might get out to a store today but probably not, as I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyway and will be out for that. I can just stop at Kroger on the way back.
    Hello Ed
    I concur, why make a extra trip if You can combine stops the next day. Curious, If it was low blood sugar I would have thought that would not get better until after eating something.

I have modified my eating slightly to where I eat something before going out the door so that I am not drinking a 30 ounce coffee refill on a empty stomach. I could take less, however my frugal nature says to me why pay the same for less ? OTOH that could be why I put weight on in the past :blush: When I was delivering food in the 80s and 90s I was often offered free food and beverage.
    Things you may not have considered making in a slow cooker.
    I need to watch that one. I am guessing that a Crock Pot even on high would not work ?
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed

The baked beans aren't terribly expensive to make, probably in the neighborhood of $12.00. I'd have to go back and see how much the aluminum baking pans cost to be sure but that's probably close to it, after factoring in all the beans, the spices, brown sugar, etc. Surely no more than $15 and I really think $12 is closer to it. Even though 3 hours plus on the baking time sounds like a long time I doubt the electricity costs more than dollar either. Probably not.

I mostly use store brand beans, bought on sale, to save money.

I grabbed a hot dog off the tray, fresh off the grill, and ate it as I shuttled the food to the serving area. I know health department rules say no eating in the food prep area, but since we were just an informal pool party, non-commercial, to heck with that rule! LOL. I got my nicely charred hot dog while it was still piping hot.
    Oh boy, yummy fresh off the grill nicely charred :smiley:

Once again, Thank You for the links
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Late Sunday evening. What a day!
    Ted came out early and mowed my lawn. I always appreciate that! Then Jack and my granddaughter Olivia arrived. Jack worked on the kitchen project. He says he thinks one more thin layer of 'mud' and then it will be ready hang the cabinet back up.!!! WooHoOOO. I will be happy girl that day!!! Jack also shared with me that he had just learned that his father had died..and it was about 2 years ago. We had not seen nor heard from him for nearly 38 years, I feel badly for the boys, but not for me.
    And I'd ordered the wrong filters for the water line, so that will have to go back tomorrow, and the right filters ordered...grrrrrr! Is what happens when you get in a hurry.
    All of this was going on while the FINAL soccer game was on...Ted watched, I'd come thru and see the score, but never actually got to see much of the game. It was pretty much a blow out. I had no 'real' fav. but would have been happy to see Croatia win their very first World Cup. France was very happy with their win! And it was only the 2nd time for them to win.
    Good Morning Valerie
    It would be real nice if some kind soul mowed our lawn :wink:

Been there, done that when ordering and selecting the wrong item too.

What happened that the Kitchen wall needed mudding ? Did the cabinet come loose ?

It seems that the World Cup winning pick by the camel was wrong :smiley:
    After all that, I watched a podcast and meant to take a nap, but read articles from my iPad news feed instead!
    I made something close to fajita's for dinner, and some summer squash that I fixed with a lot of onion and salt free seasoning I'd gotten right on my Amazon order :)
    So, Tom and I have both eaten, I let Tom stay in for awhile, and then I literally had to chase the little devil out the door! He came bounding across the living room and I opened the door for him, he stopped just short of the door made a hard left hand turn, and the chase was on. I think he enjoys doing that! Like its his idea of a game.

I have a tiny bit of clean up to do in the kitchen and then I'm going to bed. I think its my turn to make a Scrabble word, and my letters are not exactly a good mix. So it should be interesting to see what I can think up.

I watched Emmy make the Hard Times plantain dishes, and am pretty sure that tomorrow after I leave the gym I will be over at the market buying plantains! I'll have to be sure to tell Jack what I've made just to freak him out again like I did the day I told him I'd used radish greens in my pot of mixed greens! I have vegan cheeses so that should work,...trying to decide if I'll use butter or a little oil to bake the plantains...Yes, even though I don't eat it I do keep Butter in my refrigerator.
    iPads have news feeds ?

It could be a game for Your crazy cat.

Why keep butter if You don't eat it, If You are cooking with it why not just use it elsewhere or am I missing something ?
    Oh, and I watched the video on meat substitutes...there was one that looked quite interesting, but mostly I just shook my head...to go to that much trouble with the food processor and mushrooms, or egg plant, and nuts, etc...to turn around and drop in an egg, or other non vegan whatever is strange. Why bother????
    So, tomorrow I'll be eating plantains, the Jack Fruit will wait as its in plastic baggie like stuff and refrigerator shelf life says its good til 7-12-2019...yep, 2019 it says...so I have a 'few' weeks to use it. :)

Later...
    Wow talk about a long shelf life for a fruit item.

I was just out back and a few Raspberries and one lone Blackberry that was ripe enough to eat, the Blackberries seem to lag behind the Raspberries :(
    The Columnar Apple trees have a couple of apples on them, Finally.

I also noticed that the Deer ? or some other critter is eating the leaves off of a climbing type vegetable :( I wonder if my Brother had noticed it, I think it is new damage.

Have a Good Day
    Roger