Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Good Morning!
    I'm in hiding. 45-50 wet degrees last night, and I let Tom E. spend the night in the house. Other than one short crying burst outside my bedroom door, he was a good house guest. I have to face it, that very, very soon he'll be an indoor kitty...blah. Besides the hair, he's a pest. :):). Already this morning. So, while he was eating his breakfast and kibble, and not paying attention, I grabbed my banana, coffee, phone and computer and very quietly let myself into my front room. :) He hasn't figured out where I am, or he'd be out there talking to me. LOL!

The new OS Mojave has been out for awhile...Ted wanted to know why I hadn't downloaded it...etc. Jack uses it at work along with PC's...believe it or not, all forms of Apple, plus the more standard PC's, have different interfaces, and appearances, etc...so when he designs something for a client he had to coordinate all of the different options that the client, or their affiliates might be using when they access whatever program, advert, etc .....so, last night at Olivia's gymnastics he and I chatted about Mojave. Like me he wasn't very impressed with the 'dark mode', and like me, he's giving it time to see if his like/dislikes resolve themselves...He did say that dark mode on PC's was Much Better. Hmmmm. Get with it Apple!!!
    Hi Valerie
    In Hiding, Hmm... From a poor little kitty :wink: Would Tom E. becoming a house cat be so bad if he also becomes affectionate ?

The Dark Mode appearance could be tied to limitations in some of the different platforms hardware ?
    My good news, I was nicely surprised to see yet another pound go....um, where do they go? LOL. So that's 10 total since April. I'll take it! And yes Roger, I've done it eating a ton of rice. A few colorful veggies and mostly 3 fruits a day..some day's I miss and only have two fruits. oh, well!!! Sorta easy but not absence of salt. No oil. No, not even Olive Oil...mushrooms several meals a week, and onions most days as part of my veggies, and to flavor the rice. I also use a bit of any enjoyable soup as a flavoring. And that's it. Oh, sugar....I've been known to fix myself a sweet rice desert a couple times a week! oops!! Yep, this is carb heaven! Carbohydrates are energy foods. Gotta keep your little mitochondria happy..its what fuels your whole body!
    So, there's that....
    I think I get to go shopping in my closet...I was having trouble yesterday in the grocery keeping my jeans 'up' where they belonged because I had my cell phone in one pocket and my car keys in another...I don't want to try on a smaller size just yet....cuz I don't want to be disappointed if smaller jeans don't button. That's a bummer...
    I found that I had been missing a tasty Chinese dish, Egg Foo Yung, After the first time where it came with a lot of rice which I sadly ate with Butter, when I order it now I tell them hold the rice :smiley: I suspect that the really tasty brown gravy may add a fair amount of calories along with a lot of taste. I tried it with meat and I think for the difference in price that the vegetable version will be just as tasty.
    The rice makes me feel a lot warmer, not a bad thing in the cold weather but bad in warm weather. Plus I seem to feel a carb overload like that in my feet later in the day. Maybe a blood sugar thing, I don't know as I never remember to check the Blood sugar level.

Has anyone tried the Home instant A1C kits that they sell ? If fairly accurate they might be a pricey but handy item to have on hand.

Vegetables, hmm, I am eating up the last of the Green Beans off of the climbing vines, The ones the deer could not get at on the inside of the round cage they were climbing on. Fruits, Would You believe I am still eating the Free Pears off the tree that is growing in the wild ?

I just saw this as a today only item on Newegg. Avera 48AER20 48 inch 1080p LED TV
    $199.99
    My how prices have fallen, I paid $800 for my first HDTV and it was a low end brand 32 inch, A Westinghouse that still works FWIW. Of course as with all the old American brands the Chinese Bought name for home electronics :(

It does not matter what size I wear, Without a belt I would end up walking out of them :(
    OTOH I always have a lot of change and junk in my pockets :blush:
    Rain has been steady but not hard stormy kind...you'd put on a rain coat to go to the mailbox....but you wouldn't drown or be blown away. :) I think this is supposed to end tonite. I sure hope so.

Ed, wish I has a solution for the kitty vs sugar gliders cage. I suppose moving the cage is out of the question, or you'd have already done it. Naps sound like the perfect solution for this day! Enjoy!

Later...
    If the forecast wind gusts or 50MPH appear here I could see having trouble staying upright, mainly due to it not being a steady wind rather that it is gusty. 1 to 4 inches of rain in the forecast with Coastal flooding due to a onshore wind pushing the water higher than normal in a high tide. I hope it ends overnight before tomorrows walk here.

Good Luck With a early ending for the rain.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Will Rogers post to Valerie ever appear ?
    Posting it gave a message that it would appear after being approved :(

Wish it luck
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    Howdy all y'all! It's satisfying Saturday! 52 with an expected high of 56 and 20% chance of precipitation.

We have a halloween party tonight, so I think I'll be making a potato casserole.

Need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls, get that last load of laundry folded (hah!) and put away, make the casserole after lunch, etc.

Might be able to squeeze a nap in somewhere there...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »

Has anyone tried the Home instant A1C kits that they sell ? If fairly accurate they might be a pricey but handy item to have on hand.

I found the ones I tried to be pretty accurate. When I used one the same day as a doctor visit (for a doctor check on that) the numbers were close enough to be within testing error. Within a tenth of a point or 2 anyway, so I would trust them.

• parityanimal
    Irish people try Halloween cocktails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMFS9AV1ag
  • parityanimal
    How to make street food at home. From real streets? Or for the streets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCv2PfXXhj0
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited October 2018
    Good Saturday Morning...10.27.18
    Scanned today's posts...back this evening to actually look @ or read.
    I don't have TTD, but curious from a 'lab' side what you would gain from 'having one handy?' A1C is a long time (usually 3-4 months) look back at your blood sugars....Does not tell you current BS..?? Just curious.

Roger, Stay safe as your rain, flooding, wind hits Jersey...

Going to ATL for a family lunch/late birthday celebration for Ted. Jack and family will be coming from Marietta, GA after LaCrosse game for Nate....Probably not much there I can eat, will check the Fellini's menu, and eat before I leave my house, if necessary. I think Jack's message to me was, 'they will have salads'. I cannot convince these people..(my own offspring no less) that I do NOT live on salads!! But will go just to be with my boys, and my grands..... :)

Much Later...
  • RogerToo
    YM83G0.gif
    Truth

SKTjdM.gif

bMZsjF.gif

GFNU6p.gif

gOkWwV.gif

bWxQqc.gif

JLXDPh.jpg

eGeIiu.gif
  • RogerToo

Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 47 degrees and comfortable, Saturday's weather forecast came true with a steady rain all morning. It also appears that there was some more rain overnight since things outdoors were wet.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/26/ngineering-study-texas-red-light-cameras-illegal/
    Lack Of Engineering Study May Make Hundreds Of North Texas Red-Light Cameras Illegal

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/10/26/apple-and-samsung-punished-for-slowing-down-old-smartphones/?utm_source=Naked+Security+-+Sophos+List&utm_campaign=7f3a3cdd56-Naked+Security+daily+news+email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_31623bb782-7f3a3cdd56-418502465
    Apple and Samsung punished for slowing down old smartphones

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-10-canadian-doctors-museum.html
    Canadian doctors to start prescribing museum visits

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all! It's satisfying Saturday! 52 with an expected high of 56 and 20% chance of precipitation.

We have a Halloween party tonight, so I think I'll be making a potato casserole.

Need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls, get that last load of laundry folded (hah!) and put away, make the casserole after lunch, etc.

Might be able to squeeze a nap in somewhere there...
    Hi Ed
    How was the Halloween party, Costumes ??
    A potato casserole sounds tasty too, I am sort of curious, Sliced Cooked Potatoes, Possibly Mushroom Soup, Cream etc ?

How did the Nap attempt go anyway? I was not successful with my attempt yesterday.

I found the ones I tried to be pretty accurate. When I used one the same day as a doctor visit (for a doctor check on that) the numbers were close enough to be within testing error. Within a tenth of a point or 2 anyway, so I would trust them.
    Thank You that was what I was wondering. It sort of makes me wonder if they are a retail version of what the labs use ? Hmm...
    How to make street food at home. From real streets? Or for the streets?
    Good Question and one I will likely know the answer to after I watch the video later :smiley:

Mouth Watering Vegan Ribs
    Same answer, I also suspect that much of the flavor comes from the Sauce.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Saturday Morning...10.27.18
    Scanned today's posts...back this evening to actually look @ or read.
    I don't have TTD, but curious from a 'lab' side what you would gain from 'having one handy?' A1C is a long time (usually 3-4 months) look back at your blood sugars....Does not tell you current BS..?? Just curious.

Roger, Stay safe as your rain, flooding, wind hits Jersey...

Going to ATL for a family lunch/late birthday celebration for Ted. Jack and family will be coming from Marietta, GA after LaCrosse game for Nate....Probably not much there I can eat, will check the Fellini's menu, and eat before I leave my house, if necessary. I think Jack's message to me was, 'they will have salads'. I cannot convince these people..(my own offspring no less) that I do NOT live on salads!! But will go just to be with my boys, and my grands..... :)

Much Later...
    Hi Valerie
    a FBS is a useful tool IMO, OTOH Knowing that long term how You are doing could be useful IMO. Think Cheat Day long term results :smile:

No Flooding in my area, Pretty much the flooding in New York and New jersey was along the shore due to onshore winds added to high tides.

I have a feeling I have been eating to much food from the Panda Express, So I decided to look at their nutrition this morning.

I expect that You had a nice celebration. They still think you eat like a rabbit, wow. I guess You could fill up on salads and then eat a little later on at home ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! 45 with an expected high of 72 and 0% chance of precipitation.

The Halloween party last night was nice, but long. I was really tired when we got home. And we have some of my spicy, cheesy, fiesta hash brown casserole in the refrigerator since there was quite a bit left. Not as many people came as expected.

So...you know what I had for breakfast. Along with some bacon on the side for additional protein.

Need to get the cat bowls cleaned up from yesterday and feed the cats. I probably need to get out to the farmers market to get some plain, thin Asian noodles as J cooked up the last of that pack last night after I went to bed. He had not been interested in any more of the potatoes for a late dinner nor in anything else I offered to prepare. He had considered going out to one of the several 24 hour Asian places in Doraville for carry out but I'm not surprised that he didn't feel like getting back out.

He did use up all the remaining peanut butter for his noodle sauce and probably wanted more but I expect he forgot about the peanut powder up in the cabinet over the toaster oven.

So peanut butter is on the list too. I can get that from the American aisle at the farmers market, I'm sure.

And (this should be no surprise) I still need to fold that last load of laundry and put it away. LOL.

Hi Ed
    How was the Halloween party, Costumes ??
    A potato casserole sounds tasty too, I am sort of curious, Sliced Cooked Potatoes, Possibly Mushroom Soup, Cream etc ?

How did the Nap attempt go anyway? I was not successful with my attempt yesterday.

I wore my Jedi robe as Obi-wan Can-party, and J wore his Medieval/elf traveling cloak, lined with blue silk-like material. We had a couple of Native American costumes, one Greek god (Apollo), and someone in a toga that might have represented ancient Rome or Greece. No devils this year, or angels, but then it was a "light" party with only about 20 guests.

I did get a short nap in between breakfast and lunch, but could have used more.
    Spicy Cheesy Fiesta Hash Brown Casserole

Preheat oven to 425

Ingredients:

For the sauce:

About 1/4 cup instant chopped/minced onion (or 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup fresh)
    About 1/4 cup dehydrated chopped bell pepper (or 1/2 cup fresh)
    About 1 Tablespoon dehydrated chopped jalapeño, or 2 fresh, chopped (optional, but this makes it a bit spicier)
    About 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
    (Reconstitute dehydrated vegetables in about 3/4 cup boiling water for 3 minutes. Add the garlic powder in with them if desired.)

16 oz (One Pound) Velveeta with Jalapeños, or equivalent store brand. If you can't find it with the Jalapeños, buy the Velveeta Queso Blanco and add your own peppers.
    1 stick (1/4 pound) butter. I suppose you can substitute margarine if you must, but I recommend butter.
    1 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    Up to 1/2 can (use the mushroom soup can) of whole milk***if using fresh onion and/or peppers, decrease or omit milk, as the fresh vegetables will add liquid from their water content****
    3/4 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt (You can use sour cream if you just MUST)

Potatoes:

1 bag (30 oz.) frozen Country Style Hash Browns (shredded potatoes)

Topping:

1 can (6 oz) French Fried Onions

The pan:

One aluminum foil Roaster/Baker pan, 11 3/4 inch x 9 3/8 inch x 2 5/16 inch, with sides slanted slightly outward. Pan with plastic cover is nice, but not required.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425. I know I already said that but make sure!

Reconstitute any dried veggies, as detailed above.

Place all the ingredients for the sauce EXCEPT THE YOGURT in a large bowl, cubing the cheese. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes. Stir. If there are still large lumps of cheese, stir them down, and break them up. Microwave a couple of minutes longer, and stir to ensure the cheese is all melted.

Whisk in the yogurt.

Spread the potatoes in the baking pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and stir that all together well. Cover somewhat tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 425 for 1 hour.

Remove from oven. Uncover, and spread the can of French fried onion on top.

Return to hot oven and bake for up to 5 minutes to brown and crisp up the French fried onions just a bit. Keep an eye on this as they'll brown up fairly quickly, and you don't want them burned.

Remove from oven. Turn oven off. Turn oven light off. You know you turned it on, even though I didn’t tell you to.

Let the casserole stand for at least 15 minutes to cool slightly and for the sauce to thicken a bit more. Serve warm or at room temperature. Warm is recommended.

Serves… Oh, as many as 40+ as a side dish, depending on how big a serving anyone takes.

This dish make a nice variation to the usual "funeral" potato casserole, but as I created it to be festive, I only make it for parties and holidays. Then again, a funeral is supposed to be a celebration of someone's life, so why not?

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited October 2018
    Salad pizza. Can you get more "California" than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcz3VTe_9Xk
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    I don't believe she's really that old. Oh, the RECIPE is that old. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxmqtLbRjY
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hello, Sunday afternoon!
    Had a fun time with everybody yesterday. Kids ate without having to be 'prompted', I ate my salad..took my own dressing..Kids noticed. I think Ted thought I was a little over the top..but didn't want the sugar and oil from what they offered. Everybody seemed to like their food!...no to go box. And I did eat when I got home. Made myself a nice buddha bowl with the stuff in my refrigerator...
    Today, I have caught up on some reading, and video's, and I slept in late, and spent about 2 hours counting the cooling time, roasting veg. and making rice for the next 3 days. My upper back is aching from my endeavors, but meals for the next couple days will be a matter of pulling out a couple of containers, and 2-3 minutes nuking!

I sent one of the video's to all my male nephews, and Jack..cuz I know he sometimes likes to cook, and I know he loves falafel...I think he'll make them. The other boys??? jury's out. :)

Roger what post were you sending me? You questioned that I may not have gotten it, and that fb was looking it over? Give me an idea of what DAY you posted, and I'll go back and look, but I don't recall off the top of my head getting a personal post from you.....

Ed, how wonderful it is outside today! Tom E's loving it. Haven't seen him since this morning! He'll be back soon I'm sure...hunger will do that!

I think I'm going to go stretch out on the floor and pin my shoulders back for a while. This back issue is from when I injured my spine about 25-30 years ago. A long time in the kitchen, if I haven't been spending much time chopping, etc will sure remind me what I did. Meanwhile all these nice roasted veggies will be sooooo good.

My calendar tells me tomorrow is the day I go early vote. Supposed to be a very nice sunny and warmish 70 degrees) so I think I'll enjoy being in the park. And since I shouldn't have to stand in line very long... :):) being 75 has its perks!

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Yeah, its me again!
    I decided I wanted spinach with my dinner....and I needed to sautee a box of mushrooms, so while out there chopping etc again, I chopped up a big onion to go with the mushrooms....
    I ATE TOO MUCH! I am stuffed. But it was GOOD!
    Then, cuz I surely didn't want it to go bad I had a slice of some really, really good Vegan Banana Walnut Bread! Ted got it at Trader Joe's, after I saw something, somewhere online about how good it was. I think it may have been the Kitchen web site. Ted loved it too! Well, I have two more slices...and then this goes on the 'very special treat' list. Like maybe, maybe a loaf of this quick bread instead of my usual Fruitcake.??? Did I just say that? mmmmmm???? LOL!

I was scrolling thru the comments and saw a question from Roger...it reads...In Hiding, Hmm... From a poor little kitty :wink: Would Tom E. becoming a house cat be so bad if he also becomes affectionate ? If he came with a guarantee to not bite, and a few other things...maybe. He's not going to change Roger. He'll be 15 if he lives til April...I have no hope!

Ok, I am done for the night. Kitchen cleaned up, Tom fed, had seconds on treats, pee'd in the litter box I had just cleaned, so I got to do that 3 times today, He's over on the couch asleep.
    I may very well toddle off to my little bed and see if I can come up with a decent Scrabble word, maybe do a jigsaw puzzle, and try my hand at my '7 little words' game. And can't forget Suduko... I no doubt fall asleep somewhere in the middle of a game, glasses and all...its a wonder I've not broken them.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    AClT6H.jpg

JlDK3V.gif

MnTtfC.jpg

rFNlv6.gif

z90eOM.jpg

uHo4dH.gif

iVRyWZ.jpg

Y6SYiq.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 47 degrees and comfortable, There was some more rain overnight since things outdoors were wet once again.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-rome-protests/romans-protest-at-eternal-decline-of-italian-capital-idUSKCN1N10GO
    Romans protest at eternal decline of Italian capital

https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/your-dna-is-out-there-do-you-want-law-enforcement-using-it#gs.GH=AkpM
    Your DNA Is Out There. Do You Want Law Enforcement Using It?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/26/sidewalk-labs-ann-cavoukian-smart-city/
    Google’s smart city dream is turning into a privacy nightmare

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6316275/Alcohol-helps-remember-good-times-not-bad-ones-study-says.html
    You CAN drink away your troubles, study says: Alcohol affects a gene making your brain forget the bad times and only remember the good ones

Have a Great Monday
    Roger