Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,207 Member
    FOOD REVIEW!

Old Fashion Claxton Fruit Cake (World Famous) Regular and Dark

Sliced, you can see that the regular (on the left) is decidedly a more pale color than the dark, so appearance wise, the dark is certainly accurately named.

I've had the regular many times over the years and the taste of it this year matches my memory of prior years. Moist, and flavorful. Sweet, but not TOO sweet, with plenty of fruit and nuts. Definitely an old favorite.

This year is the first time I remember ever even seeing the dark fruitcake available. The overall appearance is somewhat similar to the regular, but considerably less bright. One could almost say that the regular looks cheerful and the dark looks more ominous and creepy, but that isn't quite accurate. It certainly doesn't TASTE ominous or creepy. The taste is a bit sweeter, and, well, darker than the regular. I haven't done a complete ingredient comparison but the dark tastes like it has more of some darker, more complex sweeteners, such as dark brown sugar or molasses. It's quite nice.

Which is better? Well, that's a difficult decision. The regular is an old favorite and I like it. The dark is new, to me anyway, and different enough that it may take more tasting to really determine which is better. Let's say, for now that I think a snap decision would be that I like the dark slightly better than the regular. But really they are different enough that one might just say they are both good, but in a different way.

Dark wins by a hair, for now.

g2avpkigf781.png

bzt9q8syw74n.png

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi, its afternoon.
    I was awake most of last night, or so it seemed. Really sore throat and an awful deep, but non productive cough. Lovely.
    And here's where I lose face as a Whole Food Plant Based person. I'm eating real Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup for my throat. Good old antibiotic soup. Every fall I buy a can or two, and bury that can deep into the pantry with other canned goods. So, I inspected the 'contraband' corner of 'the' shelf. Found a stack of 3 cans. One from last year...hmmm, must have not had a cold or sore throat last year...I ate the last year can..(exp. dates do tell), and put the other two back on the shelf. I wish I'd been so prepared as to have some good old Saltine crackers, oh well, I have some Pretzel Crisps...they will have to do. I've looked at the Pantone...but I don't mind waiting til the week between Christmas and New Year... toasted...with some of my Smoked Gouda 'Cheese'..(Follow My Heart brand)....is good, trust me! I could buy some of the 'vegan' spread....naw I've read the ingredients.

Not yet thought so far ahead to plan my Black Eyed Peas...I didn't grow up eating collards, but I will bow to Southern tradition, and eat some. When I grew up Mom would fix pork chops?...pork something, and sauerkraut with boiled red potatoes in their jackets. (skins).

Christmas dinner will be at Jenn's brothers house, and his wife will make sure I have stuff to eat. Thing is the kids go off to play or mess with their devices, Ted does not go, so its just me and Jack...and of course most of them are his inlaws...oh well. :) Easter is coming :). I Share that holiday with Ted! And we cook and eat our fav. things in my kitchen! YUM.

It looks really ugly out. Very overcast, and windy. Weather news said 35-40mph. TOm went out once...made two loops around the house came back to the porch to come in. Little later he wanted out again...he got to the end of my porch..(maybe 8 feet), turned right around and came back in the house!! I'm in for a long sleep very shortly. Fitbit will just have to get over it! LOL

The package from yesterday being delivered by USPS didn't show up yesterday by 8 PM, and is now scheduled for delivery today. I was surprised that it was scheduled for yesterday...today makes much more sense. Not a gift, just something I saw and wanted...

I watched Emmy, I sent a pod cast of an old painting being cleaned and re-stretched...Ted did that when he first started working for the framing place. He'd told me how it was done, but seeing it done is a whole new ballgame! WOW. I think that UTube came from a link of a news letter I get each morning.

Roger some days I come here first, other days fb first, and I generally go down my mail list, and just look at the ones I need to see...going back to the rest later... So, since I sorta slept this morning well past my usual rise time, I tackled the email first..so at this point its on to fb, and then I hope a good long nap.

Happy Solstice, by the way...full moon, and I understand a weekend meteor shower. Gonna be cloudy here, so the falling stars is 'iffy' at best!

Later...

I very well may brave the Gwinnett Place Mall, and go to a HUGE Asian store...2 stories...food on lower floor, clothes, bento boxes, dishes, yada yada on the upper floor. Lots of strange found there...I want to see if I can find the sea grapes that Emmy enjoyed today. Sounds very interesting.

OH, and thanks for the fruit cake review. The batter is def. darker...and I believe you nailed it as to why. Claxton has been making fruit cake since timeout of mind it seems. Giving that up for the Pantone, its sitting over there in the kitchen calling me, but I'm ignoring it until Christmas morning! She said, trying to believe it. LOL!

• parityanimal
    Speaking of the fruitcake...

The packaging said to CHILL before slicing and serving. I tried to get them to drink some wine and have some cheese and crackers, but the fruitcakes just sat there and stared.

I thought maybe it meant for ME to chill but when I tried that I couldn't figure out which of the six or eight cakes (the number kept changing) I could see were real and so I couldn't actually slice any of them. I couldn't seem to get hold of any of the knives anyway, which may be a good thing. :wink:

So I ended up putting them in the refrigerator overnight and slicing them the next day.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    qgURZl.jpg

Nl6H5f.gif

kTfYFD.jpg

mvFUHv.gif

scKq3J.jpg

JPCvry.gif

wIDJQO.jpg

04LdsV.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 51 degrees. There were wind gusts predicted while walking, As a result I was slightly under-dressed as I dressed for the Outside temperatures and not the Wind Chill :(

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/12/19/basic-income-slow-response/
    Why Aren’t People Signing Up For Free Money In Stockton?

Scum Crooks
    https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/12/20/houseboat-burglars-clue-police/
    Houseboat Burglars Eat From Fridge, Defecate In The Jacuzzi, And Leave A Shocking Clue For Police

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/new-york-leads-nation-in-population-loss-census-bureau
    New York leads nation in population loss

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/least-educated-state-california-no-1-percentage-residents-25-and
    Least-Educated State: California No. 1 in Percentage of Residents 25 and Older Who Never Finished 9th Grade; No. 50 in High School Graduates

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-data-security/amazon-error-allowed-alexa-user-to-eavesdrop-on-another-home-idUSKCN1OJ15J
    Amazon error allowed Alexa user to eavesdrop on another home

https://www.thecollegefix.com/colleges-de-stress-students-for-finals-therapy-horses-coloring-massages-fortnite-tourneys/
    Colleges de-stress students for finals: therapy horses, coloring, massages, Fortnite tourneys

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic fabulous (OK, really wet, sopping, soggy) Friday! 8C/46F with an expected high of 9C/47F and 100% chance of precipitation, so it's not going to get much warmer. Tonight (or more likely tomorrow morning) I need to get my ham out of the freezer to thaw up for Christmas dinner.

Today my back is really achey and I suspect this second day of rain isn't helping with that. I need to get the felines fed and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. I'm glad I did get some shopping done yesterday as I don't want to get out today. Since I don't have any dentist appointment (or any other appointment) I have no reason to go anywhere and definitely plan to get a good nap in if I can.

The antibiotic is kind of dragging me down too, but so far isn't having as bad an effect as they often do. But then I do take a probiotic with breakfast every day which is pretty sure to help with that. I take my morning antibiotic a couple of hours before breakfast so they're not fighting with each other directly. LOL.

Of course the lunch and dinner antibiotic doesn't even have to compete since I only take the probiotic with breakfast.

Dinah is sitting here meowing at me about her starving state. I guess I better do something about that before she eats me.
    Hi Ed
    Friday was wet and then around 2PM the rain stopped and the sun tried to make an appearance through the clouds. Then overnight around 2AM I woke up and heard rain hitting the AC before I dropped back off to sleep. The rain was done when I left the house and things were starting to dry out due to the wind.

Sunday is the day my brother plans to do the Christmas Shopping, The Shopping list is almost finished, One item left open is what he wants to have for Desert after overeating the Ham, Potatoes and so on. Sunday or Monday is also the day to cook the Eggs for the Deviled Eggs.

What sort of effect does the Antibiotic have on You. Good Luck With Your back.
    Stick The Almonds In The Cream Cheese!
    That's a weird one, who thought that one up.
    Celebrate Christmas With This Fine Specimen
    Before I watch this one it looks like a Rainbow cake being made.
    SEA GRAPES Umibudo - popping bubbles seaweed
    Interesting, I wonder how they taste.
    Just Add Water
    Looks like Oatmeal to me ?
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi Ed
    From the weather radar it appears that the entire east coast is getting rained on. They were showing rain for Georgia, Are Your forecasts also showing high winds or wind gusts ?

Well, today they are calling for wind, and with the soggy soil there are bound to be some trees down.

Are the Tombstone Pizzas that tasty or tasty for the price ?
    We find the Tombstone pizzas to be some of the best out there. We don't have to add extra cheese or anything to make them meet our standards. The crust is usually nice and crispy and the toppings are plentiful enough to satisfy nicely.

We DID have pizza for dinner last night. I ate mine very carefully, with small bites, chewed mostly on the other side of my mouth from the repaired molar.

What is the difference between Mt. Dew and the Throwback version, I do not recall seeing that on the shelf.
    The Throwback is made with real cane sugar, like all the sodas USED to be. Most modern sodas are made with high fructose corn syrup. They do taste better with real cane sugar and there are valid arguments that suggest high fructose corn syrup is not as healthy as cane sugar. Not that anyone really needs to be drinking anything as sweet as Mt. Dew anyway...but he's addicted.
    I'm pretty sure I have seen Tombstone Pizzas locally. They do not seem to advertise OTOH.

I have heard that the Made in Mexico Coke is also made with real sugar and the Coke is also made with Sugar for Passover, I never looked to confirm that.
    Does the Spreadable butter come in a tub and does it taste 100% like regular butter ?
    It comes in an ovoid tub. I can taste the olive oil a bit but this isn't a problem as I like olive oil. I could easily get used to the European style of dipping bread in olive oil rather than putting butter on it.
    I may have to try the spreadable butter as otherwise fresh from the refrigerator tends to tear the bread or ends up too thick. In the summer leaving butter out tends to have it go rancid or melt all over the place.

I have seen many cooking shows where the chefs put some Olive Oil on sliced Hard Crust bread before toasting it.
    For New Years Day meal I have some Turkey Breast in the Freezer along with some Stuffing, Left over Ham of course, beyond that if they still exist some left over Potatoes and Gravy.
    For New Years Day I will, of course, have my black eyed peas, cooked with the ham bone from the Christmas ham, and whatever meat is left on the bone (I usually leave quite a bit) will be in the peas too. I also have a package of fairly meaty, sliced, smoked pork jowl (jowl bacon) in the freezer. Some people don't actually eat the jowl bacon, using it just for seasoning and then discarding it, but I trim all the fat off it, dice up the meaty bits, and sprinkle them into the black eyed peas AND the collard greens.

I've given up on trying to snag fresh collard greens just before New Years as it can get crazy around here with collards and black eyed peas both disappearing rapidly in the week between Christmas and New Years. I have a bag of frozen collards, and a bag of frozen black eyed peas, in the freezer with the jowl bacon. One year in Memphis I remember not preparing in advance and was frantically, on New Years Eve, trying to find ANY black eyed peas and ANY collard greens and ended up settling on a lonely can of black eyed peas that was all by itself on the shelf, and a can of collard greens in an almost similar situation. All the fresh and frozen were long gone. While I was able to season up the canned stuff and make it pretty good, it was still a rather disappointing New Years Day meal. At least I did make fresh cornbread, and there was plenty of jowl bacon available at the store that year.

New Years Day will feature black eyed peas, with ham and jowl bacon, collard greens with jowl bacon, corn bread, and possibly deviled eggs. For me, I'm just fine with those big three though. Rightly seasoned (as we sometimes say in the south) black eyed peas, collard greens, and fresh, southern cornbread are all I really need for that day.
    The Ham bone will likely end up in Pea Soup or Bean Soup along with Cubed chunks of Ham. I could be wrong but I suspect that Frozen Black Beans and Collards will be fine if possibly a little lower quality than Fresh would be.

That sounds like a winner meal for New Years Day.
    FOOD REVIEW!

Old Fashion Claxton Fruit Cake (World Famous) Regular and Dark

Sliced, you can see that the regular (on the left) is decidedly a more pale color than the dark, so appearance wise, the dark is certainly accurately named.

I've had the regular many times over the years and the taste of it this year matches my memory of prior years. Moist, and flavorful. Sweet, but not TOO sweet, with plenty of fruit and nuts. Definitely an old favorite.

This year is the first time I remember ever even seeing the dark fruitcake available. The overall appearance is somewhat similar to the regular, but considerably less bright. One could almost say that the regular looks cheerful and the dark looks more ominous and creepy, but that isn't quite accurate. It certainly doesn't TASTE ominous or creepy. The taste is a bit sweeter, and, well, darker than the regular. I haven't done a complete ingredient comparison but the dark tastes like it has more of some darker, more complex sweeteners, such as dark brown sugar or molasses. It's quite nice.

Which is better? Well, that's a difficult decision. The regular is an old favorite and I like it. The dark is new, to me anyway, and different enough that it may take more tasting to really determine which is better. Let's say, for now that I think a snap decision would be that I like the dark slightly better than the regular. But really they are different enough that one might just say they are both good, but in a different way.

Dark wins by a hair, for now.

g2avpkigf781.png

bzt9q8syw74n.png
    The recipe we use has all the different Dried fruits soaked in Rum and then cooked in a pan with Apple juice and other ingredients :smiley: The finished product then gets spritzed over a period of weeks with Brandy. I wonder how the commercial Fruit Cake would taste if sprayed with Brandy over a period of time before serving.
    Speaking of the fruitcake...

The packaging said to CHILL before slicing and serving. I tried to get them to drink some wine and have some cheese and crackers, but the fruitcakes just sat there and stared.

I thought maybe it meant for ME to chill but when I tried that I couldn't figure out which of the six or eight cakes (the number kept changing) I could see were real and so I couldn't actually slice any of them. I couldn't seem to get hold of any of the knives anyway, which may be a good thing. :wink:

So I ended up putting them in the refrigerator overnight and slicing them the next day.
    Fruit Cake has a undeserved reputation IMO.

I never though of chilling, I have however warmed it up in the Microwave some of the time.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi, its afternoon.
    I was awake most of last night, or so it seemed. Really sore throat and an awful deep, but non productive cough. Lovely.
    And here's where I lose face as a Whole Food Plant Based person. I'm eating real Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup for my throat. Good old antibiotic soup. Every fall I buy a can or two, and bury that can deep into the pantry with other canned goods. So, I inspected the 'contraband' corner of 'the' shelf. Found a stack of 3 cans. One from last year...hmmm, must have not had a cold or sore throat last year...I ate the last year can..(exp. dates do tell), and put the other two back on the shelf. I wish I'd been so prepared as to have some good old Saltine crackers, oh well, I have some Pretzel Crisps...they will have to do. I've looked at the Pantone...but I don't mind waiting til the week between Christmas and New Year... toasted...with some of my Smoked Gouda 'Cheese'..(Follow My Heart brand)....is good, trust me! I could buy some of the 'vegan' spread....naw I've read the ingredients.
    Hi Valerie
    I hate those deep unproductive coughs, When You are sick Chicken Soup seems to help. I do like it with Crackers either Saltine or Oyster Crackers.

My Pannetone is still intact too.
    Not yet thought so far ahead to plan my Black Eyed Peas...I didn't grow up eating collards, but I will bow to Southern tradition, and eat some. When I grew up Mom would fix pork chops?...pork something, and sauerkraut with boiled red potatoes in their jackets. (skins).

Christmas dinner will be at Jenn's brothers house, and his wife will make sure I have stuff to eat. Thing is the kids go off to play or mess with their devices, Ted does not go, so its just me and Jack...and of course most of them are his inlaws...oh well. :) Easter is coming :). I Share that holiday with Ted! And we cook and eat our fav. things in my kitchen! YUM.

It looks really ugly out. Very overcast, and windy. Weather news said 35-40mph. Tom went out once...made two loops around the house came back to the porch to come in. Little later he wanted out again...he got to the end of my porch..(maybe 8 feet), turned right around and came back in the house!! I'm in for a long sleep very shortly. Fitbit will just have to get over it! LOL
    Mom made Beef Polska Kielbasa which is a Smoked Sausage is fully cooked, made from quality cuts of beef and seasoned with flavorful spices in a Pan with Sauerkraut and sometimes Potatoes. I find that I also like the Kielbasa baked in the oven or crisped in a skillet.

Yesterday was not a nice looking day here either until around between 2PM and 3PM. Parts of NJ had wind gusts up to 50 MPH. Some power outages due to the wind bringing down trees, not here luckily.
    The package from yesterday being delivered by USPS didn't show up yesterday by 8 PM, and is now scheduled for delivery today. I was surprised that it was scheduled for yesterday...today makes much more sense. Not a gift, just something I saw and wanted...

I watched Emmy, I sent a pod cast of an old painting being cleaned and re-stretched...Ted did that when he first started working for the framing place. He'd told me how it was done, but seeing it done is a whole new ballgame! WOW. I think that UTube came from a link of a news letter I get each morning.

Roger some days I come here first, other days fb first, and I generally go down my mail list, and just look at the ones I need to see...going back to the rest later... So, since I sorta slept this morning well past my usual rise time, I tackled the email first..so at this point its on to fb, and then I hope a good long nap.

Happy Solstice, by the way...full moon, and I understand a weekend meteor shower. Gonna be cloudy here, so the falling stars is 'iffy' at best!

Later...
    UPS delivery is probably better today than yesterday due to weather ?.

I seem to be a creature of habit, Here first, followed by email and maybe a little Solitaire.

No chance of seeing the Moon or meteor shower due to clouds. On same rare occasions I am looking up while walking and see a meteor burning up flash across the sky.
    I very well may brave the Gwinnett Place Mall, and go to a HUGE Asian store...2 stories...food on lower floor, clothes, bento boxes, dishes, yada yada on the upper floor. Lots of strange found there...I want to see if I can find the sea grapes that Emmy enjoyed today. Sounds very interesting.

OH, and thanks for the fruit cake review. The batter is def. darker...and I believe you nailed it as to why. Claxton has been making fruit cake since timeout of mind it seems. Giving that up for the Pantone, its sitting over there in the kitchen calling me, but I'm ignoring it until Christmas morning! She said, trying to believe it. LOL!
    Talk about brave, Going to a mall at this time of year, wow.

Nearby we have two different Asian Food Centers and a Indian Food and no a Halal eat in and take out that has some grocery type items for sell. The Last time I went to a Mall was to the apple store to see if they could get my brothers iPod going and I hated going there.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2018
    Well, I tried to post but it says it will be posted after it's approved. Don't know just what triggers that sort of thing, but there it is. Maybe it will be approved. I've never had them actually tell me that one WASN'T approved but have had some just disappear into the ether, so maybe they don't tell us.

Sometimes I have my doubts whether anyone actually looks at them to decide on approval which could explain why some just disappear.

As I wasn't expecting that to happen, I'll not attempt to re-create my post. Maybe they'll approve it and it will magically appear. Maybe not. I'm not going to get all bent about it.

Happy Saturday, Merry Christmas, and Happy New year!
  • parityanimal
    We have too many fast food chains, perhaps? Some that are struggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbztGhuFmik
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2018
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Looks like my cold has affected my brain. So, very late post!
    I have a cat not on my lap, but sitting beside me, scolding? begging? (for what...??), I'm ignoring.
    Watched the video's. Really enjoyed the 'Vegan' one...sure would have been nice if it was in English! LOL! Tricky ole Ed!

Looked sunny and nice outside today. I didn't go out, but Tom did numerous times. In fairness, he'd come back in eat some more, and then he'd head for the door so I could let him out again!

Rain returns tomorrow...we are, according to the weather folks, going to have the 6th wettest year in recorded weather history. Quite a change from the summers on no rain and water rationing.

I still feel lousy. Opened the Pantone..had a slice with Smoked Gouda and Split Pea Soup. nice filling dinner. No effort required.

Oh, Roger, I didn't mean I was going to any mall this time of year. I don't like any malls, but this one is about 2-3 miles from my house...and I hate it. Its one of those malls that had been around for over 25 years, and is slowly dying. We do have H-Mart, but you'd better know exactly what you're after. They either don't speak English, or pretend they don't...and they are also 'unhelpful'. So....I really don't go to either, only as a last resort!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    aP9OQ6.jpg

3TAcAy.gif

vIYy77.jpg

xYHsS0.gif

VGGVju.jpg

4fBx0J.gif

FiSM9b.jpg

cnJ3sL.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 32 degrees. There is Snow in the northwest corner of NJ and rain for the rest of the state for Monday. The forecast is that there is 0% chance of a White Christmas.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/12/21/fda-warns-certain-antibiotics-may-cause-serious-heart-damage/
    FDA Warns Certain Antibiotics May Cause Serious Heart Damage

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/12/20/its-very-offensive-to-them-bakers-complaining-after-finding-tips-of-hershey-chocolate-kisses-broken-off/
    ‘It’s Very Offensive To Them’: Bakers Complaining After Finding Tips Of Hershey Chocolate Kisses Broken Off

https://news.yahoo.com/anonymous-patient-data-may-not-private-previously-thought-190248280.html
    Anonymous patient data may not be as private as previously thought

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/digital-detox-resorts-offer-perks-handing-phones-59949027
    Digital detox: Resorts offer perks for handing over phones

https://apnews.com/d1e2c440af57450ab82b62d035adac61
    Science Says: A big space crash likely made Uranus lopsided

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, I tried to post but it says it will be posted after it's approved. Don't know just what triggers that sort of thing, but there it is. Maybe it will be approved. I've never had them actually tell me that one WASN'T approved but have had some just disappear into the ether, so maybe they don't tell us.

Sometimes I have my doubts whether anyone actually looks at them to decide on approval which could explain why some just disappear.

As I wasn't expecting that to happen, I'll not attempt to re-create my post. Maybe they'll approve it and it will magically appear. Maybe not. I'm not going to get all bent about it.

Happy Saturday, Merry Christmas, and Happy New year!
    Hi Ed
    I have had that happen to, usually it is tied to a link in the message. I have interacted with a moderator about the approval and they do look at them, OTOH it could take time as they do not spend 24 hours a day moderating.

So far I am not seeing that post.
    Tombstone Pizza - What Do You Want On Your
    I bet I know what inspired that video to be posted.
    Commercial - Tombstone Pizza (1994)
    This one too.
    We have too many fast food chains, perhaps? Some that are struggling.
    I sort of wonder if that is why Burger King ran the 10 nuggets for $10 and Wendy's Any Size French Fry Promotion for as long as they ran and all the Papa John and Pizza Hut commercials.
    MENU DE FÊTE VEGAN
    Hmm...
    Vacuum sealer reviews.
    Vacuum Sealers Compared! As Seen on TV vs FoodSaver, Since I prefer the regular Foodsaver I wonder what niche the Portable ones fill.

Have a Good Day
    Roge
  • RogerToo
    Looks like my cold has affected my brain. So, very late post!
    I have a cat not on my lap, but sitting beside me, scolding? begging? (for what...??), I'm ignoring.
    Watched the video's. Really enjoyed the 'Vegan' one...sure would have been nice if it was in English! LOL! Tricky ole Ed!

Looked sunny and nice outside today. I didn't go out, but Tom did numerous times. In fairness, he'd come back in eat some more, and then he'd head for the door so I could let him out again!

Rain returns tomorrow...we are, according to the weather folks, going to have the 6th wettest year in recorded weather history. Quite a change from the summers on no rain and water rationing.

I still feel lousy. Opened the Pantone..had a slice with Smoked Gouda and Split Pea Soup. nice filling dinner. No effort required.

Oh, Roger, I didn't mean I was going to any mall this time of year. I don't like any malls, but this one is about 2-3 miles from my house...and I hate it. Its one of those malls that had been around for over 25 years, and is slowly dying. We do have H-Mart, but you'd better know exactly what you're after. They either don't speak English, or pretend they don't...and they are also 'unhelpful'. So....I really don't go to either, only as a last resort!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Not a big fan of foreign language video when I don't speak the language. Also I browsed it a bit and if it had subtitles that would be different, This is something Google Translate will not help with. Although I did use it just to see what the text under the video was about :smiley:
    Vegan Recipes & Lifestyle ♡ My book pre-order: Places where you can find it: FNAC, Cultural Spaces Leclerc, BHV, Ferret du Nord and in large hypermarkets. Also available in Belgium, Canada and Switzerland. ♡ Official release on January 16th, 2019! Find me on the networks:

H-Mart, I did a Quick Google and that showed a Korean Food Store, is that the one ? If So their about us page shows
    We've always wanted our H mart stores to make our customers feel good about shopping there. We take pride in what our stores
    look like, and that also means we are meticulous about everything we offer you. We never skimp.

If So I think I would send them feedback about the store near You. FWIW according to the store locator I have one that is probably a less than 20 minute drive excluding the rush hour, and I see that near it is also the So Kong Dong Tofu House eatery. I looked at their sale page and the prices did not look that good to me, $4.79 for a pound of Butter vs the ShopRite sale price starting today of $2.99 a pound.

If I had to guess the people where You arr pretend not to speak English, based on experience (Observation)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! -1C/30F with an expected high of 12C/53F and 50% chance of precipitation.

Still some residual inflammation around the tooth, but the infection was pretty bad. It does seem to be improving slightly each day, so I'm hopeful that it will be all gone by the time I finish with the antibiotic that my dentist prescribed. And, of course, with my mouth being open wide enough to stuff a football into, my TMJ is acting up, especially on the left side where the work was done. But despite residual inflammation and soreness, and TMJ, it's so much better than when the tooth itself was hurting, that I can't complain. And I CAN sleep. I have been saving the hydrocodone for shortly before afternoon nap time and another at/shortly before bed time at night and taking ibuprofen in the morning and late afternoon/early evening and that keeps everything reasonably happy.

Just the act of chewing AT ALL isn't distressing any more, though the first couple of days even that was enough to wake everything up and have it all screaming at me that it just wanted to rest, *KITTEN* it, and why couldn't I just leave it alone so it could heal? Now it's down to just a dull ache after chewing. I'm still taking small bites and chewing carefully, and expect it will take me a while to get over doing that just from the memory of the agonizing tooth pain, even when I don't really need to do so. Oh well, taking small bites and eating slowly is supposed to be better for us anyway, right?

As best I can recall, yesterday's (still awaiting moderation) post only had two links, both of which were then posted separately, as they were the two old commercials for pizza. I haven't noticed any commercials for that pizza recently, but do remember them from years ago as they were some of the more amusing commercials on television at the time. If one has to watch commercials, it's nice if they are at least entertaining commercials.

Need to feed the felines and clean up yesterday's cat bowls and still need to get out to buy paper towels. If it's rainy I can still make the short run to Aldi for that, and can probably, if necessary, wait until tomorrow, though I'd really rather not be getting out to any grocery store on Christmas Eve if I can help it. It seems that most years I find myself in Kroger looking for some last minute item before they close up early, and stay closed until the day after Christmas.

I do believe that Ingle's might actually be open on Christmas, though the only times I seem to recall going there on Christmas were when D was living here and working at Ingle's. I was probably going only to drop him off or pick him up, as I don't recall every actually BUYING anything on Christmas there. And I could be mistaken about them even being open.

I do know that our Walgreen's used to be open on Christmas, but that may vary from one Walgreen's to another and I think I heard someone in the pharmacy mentioning that they'd be closed on Christmas but that some of the other stores might be open. Of course they may have just been referring to the pharmacy itself and the rest of the store may still be open. I know I have had reason to shop at Walgreen's in the past on Christmas, but usually just for some last minute minor medical item or toothpaste.

One year when J and I were both out of town and D had Christmas off but was here alone, he was complaining that he had nothing for Christmas dinner and didn't want to try to find a an open Denny's or some buffet restaurant, like perhaps Golden Corral.

I pointed out that he could get a small canned ham at Walgreen's and probably some halfway decent side items, even though they'd likely all be canned or frozen, and put together some kind of Christmas dinner, but I think he preferred to wallow in self pity that year so he probably just made some Hamburger Helper since he couldn't run out and pick up some Taco Bell or a cheeseburger.

I hope he can spend Christmas with his aunt this year, in Tucson.

The felines are eyeing me hungrily but it's NOT TIME yet. It is time for me to make my last mug of hot tea though.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...