Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,207 Member
    edited December 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! -1C/30F with an expected high of 12C/53F with 0% chance of precipitation today.

Merry Christmas!

As you can see from my last post yesterday, I decided to go with the tradition I had growing up, of having the first Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. Of course at that time it was at my maternal (city) grandmother's house, including the opening of gifts there, and Santa Claus somehow magically knew we were gone and delivered gifts at our house for us to find on returning late that evening.

Coincidentally, this allowed Mom and Dad to sleep in on Christmas day as we weren't up at obscene o'clock ripping open Christmas gifts, having done all that upon returning from first Christmas dinner. Second Christmas dinner was at my paternal (country) grandmother's house, and included opening of gifts there.

Of course my dinner last night wasn't at my grandmother's house, and dinner today won't be at my other grandmother's house. In fact, aside from taking some of the ham and frying it, breakfast was sort of my second Christmas dinner. The rest was just warmed up leftovers, but I fried the ham. I love fried ham.

Lilo and Dinah both approved the ham. Last night's baked ham and this morning's fried ham. But they, of course, only got a couple of tiny bites. The other two don't care for ham.

Nothing much on the agenda today. May get together with a friend later, who recently returned from a trip to New York (for an aunt's funeral) and couldn't get back to New York again for Christmas. Since we're both home alone (except for pets - he has his dog) we might manage to spend a little time together for Christmas. We'll see. I don't know how much Marta service there is today and that might be a turning point on that decision as I REALLY don't want to drive to downtown Atlanta today and the timing of Marta, if any, may be problematical. I am pretty sure he can't afford a taxi or Uber all the way out here to Peachtree Corners.

I will, unfortunately, be driving to Warner Robbins for a funeral, Friday. Not looking forward to that.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Irish people try Singapore snacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oouABcZgeUE
  • parityanimal
    11 curious Christmas gifts from different countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSOVYfdhv0
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2018
    Take this one with a whole CAN of salt. Maybe a five pound bag! Press THESE TWO POINTS and lose weight within a month. Yeah, right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MXTrG975SM
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    This is either a very late Christmas greeting OR an early hello to startle Roger post walk. His walk, not mine! I did go out to be with everyone. Ted picked me up, it was tiring, but I'm glad I went.
    Roger I have the best iWatch story for your 'frugal ' collection. Will relate later ...am going back to sleep for now. And it's to long to peck out on theiPad anyhow.
    Hope you had a good morning walk Roger, and you're ready for breakfast and some screen time!
    Ed hope you are able to sleep in at least a little bit this morning . I stretched out on the floor last nite just to confound Tom E. and it worked!
    Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    NxW5fL.jpg

g9nbnL.gif

WZNDyt.gif

qfOLxI.gif

UHTp44.jpg

ioIM4v.gif

IRlLIx.gif

VLqfqk.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 31 degrees. My first Coffee stop had not reopened from their holiday hours, Oops, I thought about what to do and ended up at a Dunkin Donuts that was open so I did get my Coffee. Later today the leftover Ham will be broken down and much of it Vacuum Sealed and Frozen for future use.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/americas/fake-colombian-priest-unmasked-after-18-years
    Fake Colombian priest unmasked after 18 years

https://www.pewtrusts.org/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2018/12/21/wheres-the-beef-burgers-must-be-meat-ranchers-say
    Where’s the Beef? Burgers Must Be Meat, Ranchers Say
    Food labels such as “veggie burgers” and “Tofurky” prompted a new Missouri law making it illegal to stick meat-like names on products that aren’t made from meat — pitting cattlemen against vegetarians in a food fight poised to spread across the country.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/22/selfie-wrist-injuries-doctor-says/
    Growing Number Of ‘Selfie Wrist’ Injuries Diagnosed, Doctor Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/travel/rome-pollution-trash.html
    Rome in Ruins
    Some worry that the city is in danger of becoming a dump. Not a “rubbish heap of history,” or a precious junkyard of antiquities, but an actual garbage dump.

https://www.apnews.com/2bf879bbdabc4d038fed74cc1b0f4926
    Harnessed horse unearthed in ancient stable near Pompeii

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! -1C/30F with an expected high of 12C/53F with 0% chance of precipitation today.

Merry Christmas!

As you can see from my last post yesterday, I decided to go with the tradition I had growing up, of having the first Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. Of course at that time it was at my maternal (city) grandmother's house, including the opening of gifts there, and Santa Claus somehow magically knew we were gone and delivered gifts at our house for us to find on returning late that evening.

Coincidentally, this allowed Mom and Dad to sleep in on Christmas day as we weren't up at obscene o'clock ripping open Christmas gifts, having done all that upon returning from first Christmas dinner. Second Christmas dinner was at my paternal (country) grandmother's house, and included opening of gifts there.

Of course my dinner last night wasn't at my grandmother's house, and dinner today won't be at my other grandmother's house. In fact, aside from taking some of the ham and frying it, breakfast was sort of my second Christmas dinner. The rest was just warmed up leftovers, but I fried the ham. I love fried ham.
    Hi Ed
    In this household we did snack type food Christmas Eve, This Year I may have mentioned that my brother Picked up a Large Sausage, Pepperoni, Extra Cheese Pizza, A side dish for him of Meatballs and another with Onion Rings, and I had a Side Dish of Sliced Italian Sweet Sausage, Tasty too.

Ever since I was a Young Grade school kid our family opened Christmas Gifts on Christmas Eve. For Lunch I plan on making a Plate of leftover Ham, Some of the Asparagus and Sprouts and possibly a small spoonful of Mashed Potatoes with Butter melting into them, Pass on the Gravy and have Celery Sticks to finish filling up on. I am undecided as to Microwaving the Ham or Frying it, Color me undecided. Breakfast, hmm... Some Ham and Deviled Eggs are a possibility.
    Lilo and Dinah both approved the ham. Last night's baked ham and this morning's fried ham. But they, of course, only got a couple of tiny bites. The other two don't care for ham.

Nothing much on the agenda today. May get together with a friend later, who recently returned from a trip to New York (for an aunt's funeral) and couldn't get back to New York again for Christmas. Since we're both home alone (except for pets - he has his dog) we might manage to spend a little time together for Christmas. We'll see. I don't know how much Marta service there is today and that might be a turning point on that decision as I REALLY don't want to drive to downtown Atlanta today and the timing of Marta, if any, may be problematical. I am pretty sure he can't afford a taxi or Uber all the way out here to Peachtree Corners.

I will, unfortunately, be driving to Warner Robbins for a funeral, Friday. Not looking forward to that.
    That seems somehow weird to me, what Cat doesn't like meat ?

Have You seen the TV news that we have about Uber drivers cheating passengers, in some cases for well over $100 dollars, Just in case some of the news showed how. Drivers changing the pick up and drop off point to add Money, Claiming more than 4 passengers for on person etc.

Doesn't Marta have a website that shows schedules and holiday hours if applicable ?

I am so sorry, Funerals are my least favorite activity.

Have a Nice Day today
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Irish people try Singapore snacks.
    A Durian Snack, Why ?
    11 curious Christmas gifts from different countries.
    That reminds me, I think this is the first Christmas I did not get some Holiday theme Scratch off lottery cards, hmm, and Here I picked up a couple of the Big lottery tickets for last nights drawing for my brother :wink:
    Kids try Turducken.
    I probably would not try it TBH, My brother loves Duck, Me, Meh.
    Take this one with a whole CAN of salt. Maybe a five pound bag! Press THESE TWO POINTS and lose weight within a month. Yeah, right...
    I am not buying that one either, As Abraham Lincoln said, You can't believe everything You see on the Internet :smiley:

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    This is either a very late Christmas greeting OR an early hello to startle Roger post walk. His walk, not mine! I did go out to be with everyone. Ted picked me up, it was tiring, but I'm glad I went.
    Roger I have the best iWatch story for your 'frugal ' collection. Will relate later ...am going back to sleep for now. And it's to long to peck out on theiPad anyhow.
    Hope you had a good morning walk Roger, and you're ready for breakfast and some screen time!
    Ed hope you are able to sleep in at least a little bit this morning . I stretched out on the floor last nite just to confound Tom E. and it worked!
    Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Wowsers, You posted early today, Color me surprised.

Congratulations on going, I'm guessing You were feeling better and that despite being tired You really Enjoyed it.

Interesting a iWatch story, I look forward to seeing that one.

The walk was OK once I adjusted my plans due to my Coffee stop being closed. I sat down at a table in front of a Chinese Take Out eatery and thought about the best way to proceed, That made more sense to me than just going to be going, Then having decided off I went and Success :smiley:

Why did You feel the need to confound The Cat, I would likely have woken up stiff and sore from stretching out on the floor.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 3C/38F with an expected high of 13C/56F and 0% chance of precipitation.

Happy Boxing Day!

I need to get out and buy canned cat food. I could, conceivably, wait and feed the critters after buying but I do have just enough to get them through today so will just work with what I have on hand, though none of Lilo's favorites are available without going to the store.

Hopefully, she'll eat what I can provide this morning. If not, I can give her something else later.

I have already cleaned yesterday's cat bowls.

Breakfast was some fried ham and the last of the scalloped potatoes from the Christmas feast. All that's left now is the bone (in the freezer, with quite a bit of meat still on it) and a small chunk of ham up on the top that will either be a sandwich or two, or perhaps some more fried ham, or even ham chunks in mac and cheese. The possibilities are endless!

I got some bubbly (California "champagne") in 4 small, individual serving bottles. The four small bottles total to 748 ml, which is jut 2 ml short of a regular size bottle, but the advantages are that I can be a wino and just drink my toast right out of the bottle if I want, and the remaining champagne, if I decide not to drink it all fairly quickly, won't go flat in the interval, as it will be in sealed little bottles.

The city of Peachtree Corners changed garbage pickup providers for 2019. Our last pickup from the old collector is scheduled, conveniently, for Monday, December 31, and on that day they are also supposed to collect their bins.

The new bins have already been delivered and our new pickup day is Wednesday, so our first pickup with the new collector should, presumably, be scheduled for Wednesday, January 2. I suppose that could be very handy, if it actually happens, for any who have a lot of extra cardboard boxes left from Christmas.

I do have one small issue with the new collector though. They won't take glass! Admittedly, I haven't been recycling a whole lot of glass, as I just don't go through that much of it. But I do put them in when I empty a jar of spaghetti sauce, jam, or a bottle of wine. Well, won't be able to do that any more. So now I'll have to throw away glass in addition to the styrofoam we already throw away. Or find alternate recycling drops that I can conveniently get to for those.

It might have been nice if the city had located such drops and let us know where they might be though I suppose most people, me probably included, won't bother to recycle stuff if we have to take it somewhere to drop off.

Well, let me ponder feeding the felines and making my last morning mug of tea. Orion is hinting that he might be starving to death.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Kids try Christmas foods from around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5-WHOZQ73I
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Maybe slightly easier croissant technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_zW22ixjE
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi guys!
    Home from the Doc's...I'll live!! She sent in a script for a night time pill, and included also an inhaler for times of chest tightness. Redux of 2 years ago. I went to Kroger to kill time while Costco filled the scripts...and that was a costly mistake...$40 later..... but I bought a nice very freshly made box of sushi and, and! I found at a kiosk near checkout a fruit cake. So, I've eaten the slice for the pix I'll send, also another just to be sure. The Woohoo special is a good fruit cake! Its 'blonde' or light batter, with lots of nuts and candied fruits..both of which I love! SO, very happy with my late Christmas Fruitcake.

Now, about this iWatch that is coming to my house this week! whoa!
    Can't take all the credit, as Ted gave me a gift card to Amazon for what should have been about ⅔ the cost of the watch...so a bit chunk of my savings was actually a gift! I applied all of my 'points' for the years purchases on my Amazon Visa Prime card...and free second day shipping was free...all in all I paid a few cents over $21.00. It's a black Series 3 42mm. GPS but NOT cellular. (I pay enough to cellular (Verizon) as it is. ) This will have many more work out/health features, and 'should' count my steps in the grocery! without me having to take it off my wrist and stuff it into my pocket like I do the Fitbit. I'm really excited about it.

And....a text message from Costco, my scripts are ready...guess I'll run pick them up, and then I feel a nap.

Ed...Will put up pix of the fruitcake and a rating, inspired by yours fruit cake ratings! Later today.

• RogerToo
    edited December 2018
    iVlxG9.jpg

hWHaFk.gif

JIc8Yt.gif

eTeNo5.jpg

9EVQ3b.jpg

1Mrevk.gif

C574yF.jpg
    You Are Doing It Wrong

IjIVrJ.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 31 degrees. I did see a single deer less than 2 blocks from the house as I was heading out.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/22/alcohol-near-me/362510002/
    Alcohol and coffee can help you live past 90, study says

https://www.timesofisrael.com/misplaced-2000-year-old-ring-discovered-in-jerusalems-city-of-david/
    Misplaced 2,000-year-old ring discovered in Jerusalem’s City of David
    Unearthed in excavation of the monumental Pilgrims’ Path, the Second Temple-era adornment likely fell after use of a ritual bath, say archaeologists

https://www.france24.com/en/20181225-britain-bans-puppy-kitten-sales-pet-shops
    Britain bans puppy and kitten sales by pet shops

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/what-its-like-to-deliver-packages-for-amazon/578986/
    I Used to Write for Sports Illustrated. Now I Deliver Packages for Amazon.
    There’s a certain novelty, after decades at a legacy media company, in playing for the team that’s winning big.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/article223524695.html
    Monstrous creature ‘turned its head and looked straight at our car,’ Kentucky woman says

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 3C/38F with an expected high of 13C/56F and 0% chance of precipitation.

Happy Boxing Day!

I need to get out and buy canned cat food. I could, conceivably, wait and feed the critters after buying but I do have just enough to get them through today so will just work with what I have on hand, though none of Lilo's favorites are available without going to the store.

Hopefully, she'll eat what I can provide this morning. If not, I can give her something else later.

I have already cleaned yesterday's cat bowls.

Breakfast was some fried ham and the last of the scalloped potatoes from the Christmas feast. All that's left now is the bone (in the freezer, with quite a bit of meat still on it) and a small chunk of ham up on the top that will either be a sandwich or two, or perhaps some more fried ham, or even ham chunks in mac and cheese. The possibilities are endless!
    Hi Ed
    That sounds as if it was a very tasty breakfast, Yesterday I had Ham, 2 Deviled Eggs, (4 halves) and Sprouts heated in the Microwave for Breakfast. So I guess You could say I had Ham and Eggs :wink:

Hopefully the Cat foods worked.
    I got some bubbly (California "champagne") in 4 small, individual serving bottles. The four small bottles total to 748 ml, which is jut 2 ml short of a regular size bottle, but the advantages are that I can be a wino and just drink my toast right out of the bottle if I want, and the remaining champagne, if I decide not to drink it all fairly quickly, won't go flat in the interval, as it will be in sealed little bottles.

The city of Peachtree Corners changed garbage pickup providers for 2019. Our last pickup from the old collector is scheduled, conveniently, for Monday, December 31, and on that day they are also supposed to collect their bins.

The new bins have already been delivered and our new pickup day is Wednesday, so our first pickup with the new collector should, presumably, be scheduled for Wednesday, January 2. I suppose that could be very handy, if it actually happens, for any who have a lot of extra cardboard boxes left from Christmas.

I do have one small issue with the new collector though. They won't take glass! Admittedly, I haven't been recycling a whole lot of glass, as I just don't go through that much of it. But I do put them in when I empty a jar of spaghetti sauce, jam, or a bottle of wine. Well, won't be able to do that any more. So now I'll have to throw away glass in addition to the styrofoam we already throw away. Or find alternate recycling drops that I can conveniently get to for those.

It might have been nice if the city had located such drops and let us know where they might be though I suppose most people, me probably included, won't bother to recycle stuff if we have to take it somewhere to drop off.

Well, let me ponder feeding the felines and making my last morning mug of tea. Orion is hinting that he might be starving to death.
    Interesting that they changed providers, From what You say Your Garbage Pickup also does the recycling. We have City Garbage P/U and The County does a recycle pickup every 2 weeks. Which means I should go download and print the 2019 Recycle P/U. Our City Recycle Center will take most things excluding Garbage. So That makes it easy if needed. The NS foam containers are supposedly recyclable, OTOH both the Garbage and recycle trucks will take them. I expect that there will be much more than usual at the Curb on recycle day from the Christmas Gift packages.
    I am happy that we do not need special bins for either. I tend to use the Tub we throw the recycle into and the Can I put the garbage into if needed for an overflow. Have You called the City to see if they have a drop off location ?

We need to decide whether or not to get some bubbly for New Years.
    European fast food chains.
    I am interested in viewing this video.
    Kids try Christmas foods from around the world.
    I wonder if they cover things like the feast of the Seven Fishes ?
    Delicious Christmas ideas.
    Call me lazy, Miniature Marshmallows are good enough for me to go on Hot Chocolate.
    Maybe slightly easier croissant technique.
    I looked at the list of ingredients and my first thought was where's the Butter ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger