Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,207 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi, back again.
    Watched the Vegan Hoppin John...since I bought a can of Hoppin John, and a can of collards...(I eat collards, but seldom go out of my way to find it!).. I did watch Chef A.J. the other day and she put a sauce of Maple Syrup and mustard on her collards and swore that it was great. May try a bit of it on mine.

Tom's been in and out...I think he's out right now. I need to check on the forecast to decide if he needs to come in before I take my nap! Tired today...did a bit of walking etc yesterday, and think I may have over done it a bit.

The Vegan snack plate....ok, any of us could have put that together. Guess its a nice thing to watch if you need a little help. The bleeding beefless burger....I've not seen that brand, but listening to the ingredient list, sounded a lot like the Bleeding Beef Pattys from Whole Food. A young lady was putting quite a few of those in her cart, and when I asked, assured me they were really great. Really? I think I'd set my parameters to high on that one.

Later...

Hoppin John comes in a can? Wow! Is it vegan?

Having commented that, I'm sure it can be jazzed up to be quite tasty.

I have, in the past, due to lack of planning and shopping ahead, had to resort to both canned black eyed peas and canned collards and was easily able to make both of them meet my standards of tastiness. :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Going to say Good Morning in 2 parts today..First up is Roger/Ed...
    I don't particularly like the taste of Black Eyed Peas...and Collards are hardly my go to green. So, yep, 2 cans to open, a taste, and then on with my life! LOL!

I have tried the meatless bleeding patties. Not my idea of food. Didn't care for the taste or the texture. But you have to remember I was never that fond of real beef either. hmmmm! I've pretty much given up all of the 'fake' foods...except for the occasional bit of 'Follow My Heart' brand cheese. I do like their Smoked Gouda. But a quick look at the nutritional label...its all fat. no protein, sodium, yes it does have sodium! Oh, yes it does. I'm perfectly happy with my whole vegetables, (you know the ones that don't come with nutritional labels..the real deals) I have my little sometimes cheats...occasional some chocolate, and then there was that fruit cake...........arg!

So, tonite at midnight we start a new year....Or as I prefer to call it World Wide Do-Over Day. :)

Now on to look at Ed's post and video's.
    By the way....it is not cold, but dreary and misty, and just plain crap outside!!!
  • parityanimal
    Wife insists husband put up cat cartoons he drew. VIDEO of the cartoons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3yfqSq3vd0
  • GardenKatGardens
    Its meeee. Back again!
    Dreary is changing to fog...neither one is appealing! :)

Oh, Ed, I hear you on the laundry. Who wrote about 'Laundry is always there for you' ? Here? or did I read that on fb? Funny what ever... Today I have 3 piles of laundry waiting to be washed. I will begin with the dark clothes, probably do the light/white load and I'm betting that the 'red load' will happen tomorrow. Yes, I have an entire red load....um, table cloth, bath, hand and wash cloths, a sweater, a sweat shirt, etc... :) It would be best if I wait til tomorrow, so I can include all the red towels...right. Yep, thought so.....

Sometime today, I'm going to stop by the gym...wish the kids Happy New Year. I should check the schedule to see when they close today. I know they will be open tomorrow, but I want an avocado from the Mex. market next door, also I want to see their banana's. Krogers bananas are wretched right now. First they look like they've been to war. pretty beat up, second they are weirdly shaped, and the skin is not only thick, but tough! I'm hoping to find better at the market! :) And I have a script to pick up, they said after 3:30 as they had to order it. The only reason I'm getting it today, is because my insurance will pay most of the cost....where as if I wait until Wednesday it will be very nearly full price. (coming from Costco, so they won't be open on Do-Over Day.

I think I have a cat outside..best I go looking...... Back again. Tom E. was sleeping on the back porch, and more than happy to come into the house. Looking down the street from my window this day is getting uglier and uglier! 2018 should be ashamed to leave us like this!! LOL!!

I'm going to spend the day planning not only 'Do Over Day', but also the entire new year....Saw an article about New Years Resolutions, that finally made sense. If I'd ever wondered about who keeps them, after time at the gym I can say at least in the realm of exercise...not many. Many start. Few follow thru. SO, the article suggested Monthly resolutions...sorta like having Lent X 12. Makes sense, as short time goals are fairly easily kept...so they had a list of ideas...some didn't apply, but several did...so with my new calendar, every month will get its own resolution.

Going now to close the blinds and not look outside, as its worse still, seemingly worse than just a bit ago...Sloppy, ugly, gray dat!

Later...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    XEWEat.jpg

W8QEVD.gif

sSXCmZ.jpg

8tbNAJ.gif

H4UbYz.gif

HEB6As.gif

JLhzce.gif

dnMVP1.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 52 degrees and the walking was OK. The overnight rain had ended when I left the house, Everything was Wet with Puddles all over.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/26/richard-grensteds-kids-hit-100000-social-security-/
    Social Security hits kids with $100,000 bill after 'dead' father turns up alive 47 years later
    Wife, daughters received benefits after father faked death to run off with mistress
    Less Intimidating ?
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/26/tsa-making-conscious-effort-to-use-less-intimidati/
    TSA making 'conscious effort' to use less intimidating 'floppy ear dogs'

This is something I find disturbing
    https://www.axios.com/retailers-ban-paper-cash-sweetgreen-dig-inn-starbucks-a94172f1-db08-466c-9647-c4b63f9b9b29.html
    More retailers are banning cash

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cyberattack-by-foreign-entity-halts-deliveries-los-angeles-times-newspapers-1171996
    Cyberattack by Foreign Entity Halts Deliveries of Los Angeles Times, Other Newspapers

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/dec/29/paiutes-sell-most-expensive-pot-product-to-date-at/
    A marijuana specialty product sold for a record price of $11,000 Friday night at a mega-dispensary on tribal land near downtown Las Vegas.
    Paiutes sell most expensive pot product to date at Las Vegas dispensary

Have a Great New Years Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday and it's New Year's Eve! 12C/54F with an expected high of 21C/71F (WOW!) and 40%C/40%F ... oh, wait, that doesn't change...chance of precipitation.

Didn't do any laundry yesterday, so maybe I will today. Maybe. Or tomorrow, or sometime...

Need to feed the felines and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. I've set out the ham bone and the jowl bacon for tomorrow, and they should be all thawed up and ready in the fridge for tomorrow's cooking.
    Hi Ed
    Laundry, I need to do some also, Maybe Wednesday or Thursday, Not on the Holiday however.

Our Ham-bone went into Pot as a starter for the Pea Soup and some of the chunks of Ham were diced into the soup also. The Left Over Ham,Turkey and Stuffing are now in the Refrigerator after residing in the freezer overnight from Monday afternoon to be much of today's Main meal.
    5 festive foods nobody needs.
    That looks interesting for viewing later.

Americans try Russian holiday food.
    Hmm...
    Hi, back again.
    Watched the Vegan Hoppin John...since I bought a can of Hoppin John, and a can of collards...(I eat collards, but seldom go out of my way to find it!).. I did watch Chef A.J. the other day and she put a sauce of Maple Syrup and mustard on her collards and swore that it was great. May try a bit of it on mine.

Tom's been in and out...I think he's out right now. I need to check on the forecast to decide if he needs to come in before I take my nap! Tired today...did a bit of walking etc yesterday, and think I may have over done it a bit.

The Vegan snack plate....ok, any of us could have put that together. Guess its a nice thing to watch if you need a little help. The bleeding beefless burger....I've not seen that brand, but listening to the ingredient list, sounded a lot like the Bleeding Beef Pattys from Whole Food. A young lady was putting quite a few of those in her cart, and when I asked, assured me they were really great. Really? I think I'd set my parameters to high on that one.

Later...

Hoppin John comes in a can? Wow! Is it vegan?

Having commented that, I'm sure it can be jazzed up to be quite tasty.

I have, in the past, due to lack of planning and shopping ahead, had to resort to both canned black eyed peas and canned collards and was easily able to make both of them meet my standards of tastiness. :)
    Meeting the standards of taste OK, However what about the texture ?
    Wife insists husband put up cat cartoons he drew. VIDEO of the cartoons!
    Interesting, Later viewing too.

Have a Good Holiday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2019
    Going to say Good Morning in 2 parts today..First up is Roger/Ed...
    I don't particularly like the taste of Black Eyed Peas...and Collards are hardly my go to green. So, yep, 2 cans to open, a taste, and then on with my life! LOL!

I have tried the meatless bleeding patties. Not my idea of food. Didn't care for the taste or the texture. But you have to remember I was never that fond of real beef either. hmmmm! I've pretty much given up all of the 'fake' foods...except for the occasional bit of 'Follow My Heart' brand cheese. I do like their Smoked Gouda. But a quick look at the nutritional label...its all fat. no protein, sodium, yes it does have sodium! Oh, yes it does. I'm perfectly happy with my whole vegetables, (you know the ones that don't come with nutritional labels..the real deals) I have my little sometimes cheats...occasional some chocolate, and then there was that fruit cake...........arg!

So, tonite at midnight we start a new year....Or as I prefer to call it World Wide Do-Over Day. :)

Now on to look at Ed's post and video's.
    By the way....it is not cold, but dreary and misty, and just plain crap outside!!!
    Hi Valerie
    I do not like the texture of Hamburgers that are red and juicy in the middle, They need to be well done so I can see what You mean about not liking the taste or texture :smiley:

A little bit of Sodium once in a blue moon should not be a problem ?

The New Year may have arrived however I will likely be overeating today and my big plan is to get back to proper eating tomorrow :(
    Its meeee. Back again!
    Dreary is changing to fog...neither one is appealing! :)

Oh, Ed, I hear you on the laundry. Who wrote about 'Laundry is always there for you' ? Here? or did I read that on fb? Funny what ever... Today I have 3 piles of laundry waiting to be washed. I will begin with the dark clothes, probably do the light/white load and I'm betting that the 'red load' will happen tomorrow. Yes, I have an entire red load....um, table cloth, bath, hand and wash cloths, a sweater, a sweat shirt, etc... :) It would be best if I wait til tomorrow, so I can include all the red towels...right. Yep, thought so.....
    Neither one is appealing as a weather condition to me either.

If I said I do not have any whites to wash, Everything I wear from head to toe are colors, Even my Bedding is colored. So one type of load, My brother OTOH has Whites and Colors that get washed.
    Sometime today, I'm going to stop by the gym...wish the kids Happy New Year. I should check the schedule to see when they close today. I know they will be open tomorrow, but I want an avocado from the Mex. market next door, also I want to see their banana's. Krogers bananas are wretched right now. First they look like they've been to war. pretty beat up, second they are weirdly shaped, and the skin is not only thick, but tough! I'm hoping to find better at the market! :) And I have a script to pick up, they said after 3:30 as they had to order it. The only reason I'm getting it today, is because my insurance will pay most of the cost....where as if I wait until Wednesday it will be very nearly full price. (coming from Costco, so they won't be open on Do-Over Day.

I think I have a cat outside..best I go looking...... Back again. Tom E. was sleeping on the back porch, and more than happy to come into the house. Looking down the street from my window this day is getting uglier and uglier! 2018 should be ashamed to leave us like this!! LOL!!
    The Bananas here have been Green or overripe with no happy medium and I took a small one that looked ripe and turned out to be black and hard inside.

That sounds interesting that a couple of days would make such a difference in price, is it some sort of deductible or coverage change thing ?

Do over day reminds me that I have Groundhog Day recorded in the DVR to watch :wink:

Better Rain than Snow :smiley:

As I was starting out the door one of the three cats that sometimes appear was heading down the sidewalk looking somewhat bedraggled from the rain.
    I'm going to spend the day planning not only 'Do Over Day', but also the entire new year....Saw an article about New Years Resolutions, that finally made sense. If I'd ever wondered about who keeps them, after time at the gym I can say at least in the realm of exercise...not many. Many start. Few follow thru. SO, the article suggested Monthly resolutions...sorta like having Lent X 12. Makes sense, as short time goals are fairly easily kept...so they had a list of ideas...some didn't apply, but several did...so with my new calendar, every month will get its own resolution.

Going now to close the blinds and not look outside, as its worse still, seemingly worse than just a bit ago...Sloppy, ugly, gray day!

Later...
    The lack of follow through is IMO one reason Gyms want a monthly fee and in some cases a yearly plan, so many make You jump through hoops to cancel in what I consider a cynical money grab. I also have no doubt that many diets get started and quickly discarded. That would include NS and Jenny.

From one of my Christmas gifts a trivia Desktop 2019 365 day calendar.
    The first Nobel peace prize was awarded in 1901, Who received it ?
    Two recipients shared it. Henry Dunant, founder of the Red Cross and Frederic Passey a free trade economist who founded the first French Peace Society
    I included this one as a example and it will likely be the only one FWIW.

I am hopeful that today turns nice looking to go with the warm temperatures in the forecast, Since I am in NJ I doubt it we are not that lucky.

Have a Nice Holiday Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 14C/58F with an expected high of 16C/62F and 20% chance of precipitation.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I finished off the New Year's snacky type food for a breakfast of sausage balls.

I did make it to midnight and toasted the internet, as you'll see below.

I really am going to get some laundry started in a minute. I need to do at least whites and towels, which I do together. I've trimmed and diced the jowl bacon for the dinner preparations, discarding the majority of the package, which was fat. The meaty bits will go into the greens as there will be plenty of meat in the black eyed peas from the ham bone.

RogerToo wrote: »

As with most canned beans, I find the texture of canned black eyed peas to be fine. Any canned bean can easily be ruined by overcooking them, as they only need to be heated up, not actually re-cooked. Most southern people feel that collard greens cannot be overcooked, but you do need to keep an eye on the amount of fluid and make sure they don't dry out. So canned collards are OK texture wise too, but like the beans you don't need to re-cook them, but just heat them up, and adjust the seasoning to taste. And, of course, add any additional stuff you like in them, like diced up ham or jowl bacon, the latter being almost a southern requirement for New Years. I like to add garlic, maybe some jalapeño, bell pepper, onion, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to my greens, along with a splash of apple cider vinegar, and a little brown sugar, ending with a few drops of liquid smoke. The jowl bacon and the broth or bouillon should have enough salt in it, but one can always adjust that at the table if needed.

At any rate, now my lap has become occupied. Don't know how long Orion will stay, but when he's finished with me, I'll be starting laundry, and feeding the felines. I see that Dinah has occupied J's chair and is patiently waiting for breakfast.

About 9:30 at the latest, I'll be getting the two crock pots started with the bulk of dinner. Corn bread can, of course, be made at the last minute.

A new year's toast for you!

xarg8az1vmtj.png

And another!

ehsa5qh7vxr1.png

• parityanimal
    Once very popular foods that aren't so very popular now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YSW9a1D8k
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2019
    Soft tofu stew...not sure how I feel about that idea.

Actual recipe is at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVC8YAaoIB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BsjAGdm7TE
  • GardenKatGardens
    Video's...
    The soft Tofu Stew would probably be enjoyed by Ted. He gets a dish at VeGreen that has cubed and fried soft tofu...and he loves the tofu...I on the other hand like firm or Ex. firm tofu.... I also enjoyed the lazy Vegan, I'm into quick and easy. I have't watched the Kenyan video...I have the sneaking idea it will probably include some to the 'tricks' I have been known to do at Sweet Tomatoes....like if they have an asian brothy soup, go back thru the salad line and grab beans, sliced mushrooms, onion, grated carrot, etc. Instant what? minestrone? Its good I know that!

I am on first month of the 30 day 'resolutions' It's give up candy and other sugary foods. It may be a LONG 31 days! Now, I did notice the gal who wrote up this idea, cut herself a bit of slack when it came to what's a food and what's a 'sugar'...

Ok, I am headed to the gym, just to say hello....and the primary reason is to get an avocado and a big bunch of bananas. Have not been happy with the ones at Kroger ....I think I mentioned that the other day... I've been craving a slice of avocado toast since before Thanksgiving...so, Today I will cave to crave! One tonite at dinner, and a second piece for breakfast tomorrow. Any leftovers will wind up in a bowl of some sort tomorrow also.

Also when I get home, I need to deconstruct the Christmas Decor... I've already pulled all the red bathroom towels, and they are in the dryer. The pre lit wreaths's will be super easy to take down, and a few other things, but should be a fairly short time wise chore.

Happy New Year to you both....wishing all of us a healthful year! Good food, (food that is good for us :) ), good friends, and maybe an extra few bucks in our pockets!

Later...

• parityanimal
    edited January 2019
    Last load of laundry for today is in the dryer. The BIG load is all done, folded, and put away.

The collard greens are smelling ... well, like collard greens, which is a very distinctive and, shall we say, pushy smell. Some people love the smell, others find it obnoxious. I'm kind of in between. Sometimes it smells good to me and sometimes horrible, even with the SAME crock pot of greens. I've had moments today when I smelled it and felt sorry for the cats and other times when I smelled it and thought, "YUM" because it smelled good to me. Maybe I have a schizophrenic nose.

Left a message for a friend inviting him to come and eat, so who knows, I may have company for dinner/supper. Right now I think a nap might be in order. I had a short one this morning, since the cats insisted it was time to get up at quarter past five, even though we didn't go to bed until about quarter past midnight. Did I say cats? Maybe I meant brats!

At any rate, I don't yet feel like I've had enough sleep so if S does come over for dinner I hope he doesn't linger too long after, or want to watch a movie or anything. I think I'd like to turn in early tonight. I probably shouldn't have invited anyone over but I always make a huge pot of black eyed peas and ham and I do like to share my culinary efforts with friends, and I've already issued the invitation, so if he accepts, I'll be the proper host. No worse than inviting someone well in advance and then not really feeling like it when the time comes but not having any real reason to back out on it, I guess. I've had times when I ended up glad I went on with it, so maybe tonight will be that way too, if he comes.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2019
    My New Year dinner (solo, because S said he had a sore throat) ended up as ham and black eyed pea soup over southern style cornbread with collard greens seasoned with jowl bacon (plenty of pot likker) on the side.

r2zamt1g120v.png
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi, me again.
    Went by the gym...they were busy, not swamped. Got 2 coins for the massage chair...15 minutes later :):) Picked up my avocado and bananas and came home. Tried to nap, and Tom was having no part of that. Sat outside my door and yelled at me. I did not do anything to encourage this behavior because he'd do it all the time. It's like this, you have food, snacks, and water available, your potty boxes are clean, and you can just go meow someplace else! LOL!

My dinner. So, Ed asked was it Vegan. Well, not quite. I didn't realize that at the store. I looked at the fat content, the sodium and cholesterol...so low fat, no chol. and decent salt, into my basket. However, today on closer inspection...well, not quite so squeaky clean a I'd thought. I had about a quarter cup of the hoppin john, as much collards, and equally a quarter cup the cooked cabbage. That shared a plate with ¾ cup rice. Had my avocado toast, and a couple corn chips and hummus. ¼ cantaloupe, and I may go back for an orange??? We'll see.

The canned stuff will go down the disposal. I ate the obligatory bites!

2 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away...one in the dryer to come out shortly, and then move the 4th load to the dryer and those will be dry tomorrow, fluffed, and then folded and put away. :) Job done!!

Still coughing uselessly, 4 more days of the tablets, and a lot of sprays in the inhaler. This is way too long for a cold...I do believe it was the flu. Whatever, I will be glad when its over!

Apple watch has a 'breathe' app! Meant to relax stressed out folks I think. Only a minute long. It taps your wrist while you inhale, and when the tapping stops, its time to exhale. I have been doing it 4 or 5 times a day...not that I"m stressed...just think that deep breathing is good for you, and not something that I remember to do.
    In just a few it will let me know I need to stand up and move around a bit, and that will be the last time I get that message today..I'll be 12 of 12. Kinda fun...I'll be glad when I can breathe well enough to take it to the gym, and see what it will do there. I am hoping it will pair with the machines, as well as the treadmills. Factory Default is set for 30 minutes of cardio. I can change that, but I may not.

For whatever reason I do not know...but there's a lot of fireworks being shot tonite...Wasn't that supposed to be done last night? Not that there was any shortage of firecrackers last night. (just ask Tom E.)...

Later...

Oh oh oh! Ed, did you watch that video of the gal eating Soft Tofu Stew??? 35 minutes of her slurping noodles, enoki mushrooms, soft tofu, rice, and kimchi, all the time also telling about her experience traveling in Africa...you know, she didn't look blonde, but she is!!! If you haven't watched it you surely should. :)

• RogerToo
    KsYGSw.jpg

XDjixs.gif

pdlmQw.jpg

S1E9nh.gif

EgDU0Q.gif

kI970X.gif

zNUEln.jpg

g2BbYT.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 33 degrees and the walking was OK. There is a chance of snow showers or rain showers overnight into Thursday.

Coordinated all over the world, I found it interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXUWepSak4&list=RDILNDWCLVnpw&index=27

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/31/injection-halt-progress-alzheimers-available-within-decade/
    Injection to halt the progress of Alzheimer’s 'available within decade'

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/nasa-spaceship-ultima-thule-new-year-flyby-2019-brian-may-11075422
    NASA spaceship zooms toward distant Ultima Thule

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-arkansas-election/craps-dice-roll-sinks-arkansas-candidate-who-twice-missed-voting-for-himself-idUSKBN1OC1PV
    Dice roll sinks Arkansas candidate who twice missed voting for himself

So Wrong as I see it.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/washington-may-become-the-first-state-to-legalize-human-composting
    A State Is on The Verge of Legalizing Human Composting
    Now a bill being sponsored in the state's legislature could see Washington become the first state to legalize human composting.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/armed-man-headed-to-fulfill-prophecy-at-church-is-from-houston-area/273-625427998
    Armed man headed to 'fulfill prophecy' at church is from Houston area

Have a Really Good Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2019
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 14C/58F with an expected high of 16C/62F and 20% chance of precipitation.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I finished off the New Year's snacky type food for a breakfast of sausage balls.

I did make it to midnight and toasted the internet, as you'll see below.

I really am going to get some laundry started in a minute. I need to do at least whites and towels, which I do together. I've trimmed and diced the jowl bacon for the dinner preparations, discarding the majority of the package, which was fat. The meaty bits will go into the greens as there will be plenty of meat in the black eyed peas from the ham bone.
    Hi Ed
    I did not even try and make it to Midnight, I did get to hear the Shotguns being fired at midnight when they woke me up. Hopefully they used blanks. Firing Regular shells into the air could be bad. Think the shot falling from the sky onto windows in cars for example.

I think that since I can go to the bank with my pension check that I will put off the laundry until Thursday :wink:

The Body does need a little fat in the diet, Too much is bad OTOH.
    RogerToo wrote: »

As with most canned beans, I find the texture of canned black eyed peas to be fine. Any canned bean can easily be ruined by overcooking them, as they only need to be heated up, not actually re-cooked. Most southern people feel that collard greens cannot be overcooked, but you do need to keep an eye on the amount of fluid and make sure they don't dry out. So canned collards are OK texture wise too, but like the beans you don't need to re-cook them, but just heat them up, and adjust the seasoning to taste. And, of course, add any additional stuff you like in them, like diced up ham or jowl bacon, the latter being almost a southern requirement for New Years. I like to add garlic, maybe some jalapeño, bell pepper, onion, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to my greens, along with a splash of apple cider vinegar, and a little brown sugar, ending with a few drops of liquid smoke. The jowl bacon and the broth or bouillon should have enough salt in it, but one can always adjust that at the table if needed.
    My Brother uses no salt when cooking, The Homemade Pea Soup was fine due to the salt from the Ham Bone and the Diced Ham added to it.
    At any rate, now my lap has become occupied. Don't know how long Orion will stay, but when he's finished with me, I'll be starting laundry, and feeding the felines. I see that Dinah has occupied J's chair and is patiently waiting for breakfast.

About 9:30 at the latest, I'll be getting the two crock pots started with the bulk of dinner. Corn bread can, of course, be made at the last minute.

A new year's toast for you!
    I like that New Years Toast :smiley: Very creative.
    BTW, Sourdough or Italian Bread, From the appearance it looks as if it could be either.

I wonder if a Crock Pot or Rice Cooker gets hot enough to bake Cornbread ? I'd guess the Rice Cooker as I have seen the water boiling in it as it cooks the rice.
    Once very popular foods that aren't so very popular now.
    Not having watched this one yet it reminds me of the dish mom used to make. Cooked Onions and Hamburger with Pork and Beans added at the end to heat them up, I used it to make a Sandwich in the past and the color and appearance are what the image from the video remind me of :wink:
    Snickers Salad???
    Pass, it does not sound like anything I would eat.

Soft tofu stew...not sure how I feel about that idea.

Actual recipe is at this link.
    I'm not sure either, I like a little texture in my food.
    A Vegan Food Guide for Lazy People
    That image looks like a Vegan Vegetable Pizza. Looking at it, it could be OK if it had some Pizza sauce and cheese or cheese substitute. Such as used in the Non refrigerated NS Pizzas marked vegetarian ?
    Last load of laundry for today is in the dryer. The BIG load is all done, folded, and put away.

The collard greens are smelling ... well, like collard greens, which is a very distinctive and, shall we say, pushy smell. Some people love the smell, others find it obnoxious. I'm kind of in between. Sometimes it smells good to me and sometimes horrible, even with the SAME crock pot of greens. I've had moments today when I smelled it and felt sorry for the cats and other times when I smelled it and thought, "YUM" because it smelled good to me. Maybe I have a schizophrenic nose.

Left a message for a friend inviting him to come and eat, so who knows, I may have company for dinner/supper. Right now I think a nap might be in order. I had a short one this morning, since the cats insisted it was time to get up at quarter past five, even though we didn't go to bed until about quarter past midnight. Did I say cats? Maybe I meant brats!

At any rate, I don't yet feel like I've had enough sleep so if S does come over for dinner I hope he doesn't linger too long after, or want to watch a movie or anything. I think I'd like to turn in early tonight. I probably shouldn't have invited anyone over but I always make a huge pot of black eyed peas and ham and I do like to share my culinary efforts with friends, and I've already issued the invitation, so if he accepts, I'll be the proper host. No worse than inviting someone well in advance and then not really feeling like it when the time comes but not having any real reason to back out on it, I guess. I've had times when I ended up glad I went on with it, so maybe tonight will be that way too, if he comes.
    Interesting, We heated up Canned Collards and Mustard Greens and I do not recall either having an odor, Maybe I have a defective nose ?
    My New Year dinner (solo, because S said he had a sore throat) ended up as ham and black eyed pea soup over southern style cornbread with collard greens seasoned with jowl bacon (plenty of pot likker) on the side.
    I was going to comment on Your prospective company until I read the message, Oh well, Plenty of leftovers for future use.

Black Eyed Peas, a Pea or a Bean, there seems to be some ambiguity over which they are from what I have seen, Bean family or Pea family ?

What makes it Southern Style Cornbread vs what we get or make up north where I am ?

Either way Have a Good and Healthy Year
    Roger