Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Video's...
    The soft Tofu Stew would probably be enjoyed by Ted. He gets a dish at VeGreen that has cubed and fried soft tofu...and he loves the tofu...I on the other hand like firm or Ex. firm tofu.... I also enjoyed the lazy Vegan, I'm into quick and easy. I have't watched the Kenyan video...I have the sneaking idea it will probably include some to the 'tricks' I have been known to do at Sweet Tomatoes....like if they have an asian brothy soup, go back thru the salad line and grab beans, sliced mushrooms, onion, grated carrot, etc. Instant what? minestrone? Its good I know that!

I am on first month of the 30 day 'resolutions' It's give up candy and other sugary foods. It may be a LONG 31 days! Now, I did notice the gal who wrote up this idea, cut herself a bit of slack when it came to what's a food and what's a 'sugar'...
    Hi Valerie
    As I think I mentioned to Ed, I prefer some texture, Example I heat the Frozen Vegetables to be warm with a nice texture.

Instant Minestrone :smiley:

Giving up Candy will be a lot easier if or when my Brother eats the Chocolate things in the Bowl on the table by the door leading out of the Living Room :(
    Ok, I am headed to the gym, just to say hello....and the primary reason is to get an avocado and a big bunch of bananas. Have not been happy with the ones at Kroger ....I think I mentioned that the other day... I've been craving a slice of avocado toast since before Thanksgiving...so, Today I will cave to crave! One tonite at dinner, and a second piece for breakfast tomorrow. Any leftovers will wind up in a bowl of some sort tomorrow also.

Also when I get home, I need to deconstruct the Christmas Decor... I've already pulled all the red bathroom towels, and they are in the dryer. The pre lit wreaths's will be super easy to take down, and a few other things, but should be a fairly short time wise chore.

Happy New Year to you both....wishing all of us a healthful year! Good food, (food that is good for us :) ), good friends, and maybe an extra few bucks in our pockets!

Later...
    I am trying to decide whether or not it is time to take down the Christmas Tree, front door wreath and window decorations here also. I noticed this morning that the top of the tree has no lights, I wonder if it is something simple or that so many of the bulbs are out, That will be the first chore before taking it down.

I'll go with the few extra bucks :smiley: I did see from the Social Security Notice that for a change I shall be getting a few extra dollars from that source this year.
    Hi, me again.
    Went by the gym...they were busy, not swamped. Got 2 coins for the massage chair...15 minutes later :):) Picked up my avocado and bananas and came home. Tried to nap, and Tom was having no part of that. Sat outside my door and yelled at me. I did not do anything to encourage this behavior because he'd do it all the time. It's like this, you have food, snacks, and water available, your potty boxes are clean, and you can just go meow someplace else! LOL!

My dinner. So, Ed asked was it Vegan. Well, not quite. I didn't realize that at the store. I looked at the fat content, the sodium and cholesterol...so low fat, no chol. and decent salt, into my basket. However, today on closer inspection...well, not quite so squeaky clean a I'd thought. I had about a quarter cup of the hoppin john, as much collards, and equally a quarter cup the cooked cabbage. That shared a plate with ¾ cup rice. Had my avocado toast, and a couple corn chips and hummus. ¼ cantaloupe, and I may go back for an orange??? We'll see.

The canned stuff will go down the disposal. I ate the obligatory bites!
    In what way was Your dinner not Vegan. If I ate Vegan and made that mistake I would eat it so as to not waste the food, I suspect that is my downfall, Not watching the labels close enough.
    2 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away...one in the dryer to come out shortly, and then move the 4th load to the dryer and those will be dry tomorrow, fluffed, and then folded and put away. :) Job done!!

Still coughing uselessly, 4 more days of the tablets, and a lot of sprays in the inhaler. This is way too long for a cold...I do believe it was the flu. Whatever, I will be glad when its over!
    Bummer, It does sound as if it could be the Flu, Not the easiest thing to get over. I wonder if a humidifier would help ?
    Apple watch has a 'breathe' app! Meant to relax stressed out folks I think. Only a minute long. It taps your wrist while you inhale, and when the tapping stops, its time to exhale. I have been doing it 4 or 5 times a day...not that I"m stressed...just think that deep breathing is good for you, and not something that I remember to do.
    In just a few it will let me know I need to stand up and move around a bit, and that will be the last time I get that message today..I'll be 12 of 12. Kinda fun...I'll be glad when I can breathe well enough to take it to the gym, and see what it will do there. I am hoping it will pair with the machines, as well as the treadmills. Factory Default is set for 30 minutes of cardio. I can change that, but I may not.

For whatever reason I do not know...but there's a lot of fireworks being shot tonite...Wasn't that supposed to be done last night? Not that there was any shortage of firecrackers last night. (just ask Tom E.)...
    A breathe App ? That just sound weird to me.
    A lot of celebrations were delayed from New Years Eve to New Years Day due to the rain here in the NY/NJ Metro area.
    For example this is one that was moved
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay
    Hogmanay is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner. It is normally followed by further celebration on the morning of New Year's Day (1 January) or, in some cases, 2 January
    Later...

Oh oh oh! Ed, did you watch that video of the gal eating Soft Tofu Stew??? 35 minutes of her slurping noodles, enoki mushrooms, soft tofu, rice, and kimchi, all the time also telling about her experience traveling in Africa...you know, she didn't look blonde, but she is!!! If you haven't watched it you surely should. :)
    Thank You for the heads up, I think I will pass on that video having been forewarned. Slurping is one of the things that annoy me. I think many of the things slurped be could be eaten Slurp Free :smiley:

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,206 Member
    Howdy all y'all! It's wonderful Wednesday! 9C/48F with an expected high of 15C/60F and 40% chance of precipitation. I see my pension posted. Thankfully my government pension isn't bound to the budget, so the shutdown doesn't keep my from being paid. It would be difficult, to say the least, to try to get by on only my other annuity. I really feel for those affected by the shutdown and survived enough of them in my time working for the government, though luckily they were all much shorter term shutdowns and we all got paid for the time we were furloughed.

Need to feed the felines and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. All the laundry is folded and put away. I may find some other things to launder, like sheets, but they usually get folded and put away fairly quickly.

Breakfast was leftovers from last night's New Year feast.

3obekfncblti.png

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »

I did not even try and make it to Midnight, I did get to hear the Shotguns being fired at midnight when they woke me up. Hopefully they used blanks. Firing Regular shells into the air could be bad. Think the shot falling from the sky onto windows in cars for example.

Every year I see several articles about people and/or property being damaged by bullets that were fired into the air when they come back down. While I certainly wouldn't wish harm on anyone, it does make me almost wish that more of them would come back down and at least scare the *KITTEN* out of the idiot that fired them into the air, if not actually harming the person.

My Brother uses no salt when cooking, The Homemade Pea Soup was fine due to the salt from the Ham Bone and the Diced Ham added to it.

The black eyed peas and the greens were both just right with no added salt. The broth and jowl bacon were salty enough for the greens and the ham bone and associated ham were salty enough for the black eyed peas, as expected. And neither one tasted overly salty either. I have learned that one generally doesn't need to add salt if using a ham bone and ham in a bean dish.

BTW, Sourdough or Italian Bread, From the appearance it looks as if it could be either.

Sourdough. I like Italian bread, but it's a long time since I actually bought any.

I wonder if a Crock Pot or Rice Cooker gets hot enough to bake Cornbread ? I'd guess the Rice Cooker as I have seen the water boiling in it as it cooks the rice.

They do get hot enough to bake cornbread, or even yeast bread. And I've seen recipes for cake or brownies made in a crock pot. I baked some yeast bread in one, just for fun, once, but will generally use my bread maker for that since the whole purpose of having a bread maker is to make bread. Still, I may do it again sometime in a slow cooker.

Interesting, We heated up Canned Collards and Mustard Greens and I do not recall either having an odor, Maybe I have a defective nose ?

Probably not defective. There's a big difference between heating up canned greens and cooking fresh or frozen greens for 8 hours or more in a slow cooker. There's plenty of time for the aroma to get out in the air and build up.

Black Eyed Peas, a Pea or a Bean, there seems to be some ambiguity over which they are from what I have seen, Bean family or Pea family ?

Bean. There are a number of "peas" that are actually beans. I can think of black eyed peas, crowder peas, field peas, yellow eyed peas, just to name a few.

What makes it Southern Style Cornbread vs what we get or make up north where I am ?

Well, to me (and quite a few other Southern people) Southern cornbread should have no sugar, or at least very little sugar. I prefer no sugar. And some people prefer, as I do, no flour in the cornbread, but only corn meal, though a mixture is usually the norm in packaged cornbread mixes.

I've seen many a cornbread recipe that sounds like (and often tastes like) corn cake rather than, to me, cornbread. The cornbread my mother always made when I was growing up was actually called Kentucky Corn Cake, in the Betty Crocker cookbook that she was probably given as a wedding present.

Don't get me wrong. I liked that Kentucky Corn Cake well enough, but even as a kid I realized that it was a lot sweeter than most of the other cornbread that was served to me at other places.

Some people also make a distinction between cornbread and corn muffins, the idea being that a muffin is expected to be a little sweet, though I would just as soon have my corn muffins made the same way, with no sugar. Most corn muffin mixes are on the sweet side. As with my mother's cornbread, I like a corn muffin well enough, now and then, but it's something of an exception for me.

I have made corn muffins with blueberries on occasion, and for that I usually use a sweet corn muffin mix and just add blueberries. I think it's a nice departure from the normal blueberry muffins, especially when I use my home grown blueberries. You might try that sometime with your home grown raspberries!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Easy vegan tofu recipes that don't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoYeR0dvkU
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2019
    More vegan appetizers. I have often made a meal of appetizers, and I'm sure that would work for vegan appetizers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxRI0TYy8dY
  • parityanimal
    Sourdough chocolate cake. Interesting idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4ilzNLQ7U
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! Actually its already after 12 noon...
    Time is flying by this morning!
    I've been busy doing chores. Not my fav. way to waste a morning.......
    Ed will get the final say if I'm wrong...but I think the difference is sugar or unsweetened cornbread... In the south the recipe's tend to have a sweetener....but in the Northern parts no sugar or other sweetener...

Black eyed peas are part of the cowpea family, which is all under one big umbrella...of beans. Not sure why it matters. Mine went down the disposal. (mostly because there were some meaty seasonings...like pork fat. Hmmrup! I did not see that in the grocery...I think I did not actually look. Checked to see if there was any cholesterol. Turns out the Collards were not bad!! So, I have leftover cooked and canned cabbage and Collards! OK!!! Time to put my brain to work...right after my breakfast of banana and avocado toast!

That last load of whites is still sitting in the dryer. Will fluff and fold later today. Still, I got 3 loads washed, dried and put away!

Still hacking cough. I hope this isn't one of the coughs that linger on for months...I see Dr. Pat next Tues, and its a good thing...I'm pretty sure I've put something out of place coughing.

Ted's been keeping me informed about Ultima Thule. Really neat stuff. Rattles my 'instant' brain' to think it will take years for some of the reports to come back to our planet!

Not sure what the fuss is about human composting. I personally think its not like a 'new' thing. Not anymore than I think cremation is a bad thing. 100 years ago or more, bodies were laid out in the family home, and then buried in a pine box....that in my opinion is also composting. but then that's just my opinion. (shrug)

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Ok, so my page broke and I didn't see there was another page of posts...
    Ed, did a great job of defining northern or southern corn bread...and sugar. See I had it backwards. Cornbread my Mom made, cornbread I ate in NewHampshire, Penn, etc were not sweetened. I remember hearing my friend from Penn. fussing cuz her Southern raised hubs was a 'southerner' and had to have sweetened cornbread...It may actually depend on what your Mom baked and thus what you grew up on! ?? I dunno! :)

The black eyed peas were the only can that went down the drain...collards and cabbage were vegan. Had some leftover collards with my lunch, and drizzled mustard/honey sauce on them...it really was good! I was a bit surprised.

Ed, glad you got your check from the gov't. My social check doesn't come til the middle of the month, and I'd surely hope nobody up there in DC is thinking of withholding it. Snot their money, so they need to keep their money grubbing little hands off of it!!

Ok, really gotta go now..

Later...

• parityanimal
    edited January 2019
    Interesting article on cornbread here, claiming it may be along racial lines, but I know there are some southern white people who love sweet cornbread and I'm sure there are some southern non-white people who prefer it with no sugar.

And I've seen some recipes that have just a touch of sugar, probably not enough to taste, but claim that it somehow improves the cornbread, which I believe might be possible, depending on your definition of improvement.

And I honestly thought that northern people preferred sweet cornbread but I've seen articles claiming just the opposite.

To ME, southern cornbread is not sweet. Cake is sweet. Corn muffins can be sweet. They are, after all, muffins, a cake relative.

Here's the article I found.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/southern-cornbread/4283

Oh, and there does appear to be at least one vegan Hoppin John in a can!

https://www.allens.com/hoppin-john
  • RogerToo
    GXglyq.gif

n0TBWk.gif

65g3YV.png

EvFAXv.gif

27GcnJ.jpg

LZEKaJ.gif

EYjQmL.gif

CVhHBM.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 38 degrees and the walking was good. The chance of snow showers or rain showers overnight may have happened, The ground was damp and the cars had water spots on them, beyond that it was dry enough. From last nights 10PM weather forecast it appears that the Snow will be North and west and the rain south of here, so far so good :

https://www.apnews.com/f7ea2e42bf3a4892a8403b90fe02d1c4
    Low carb? Low fat? What the latest dieting studies tell us

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article223797740.html
    Missing taco sauce sparks gunfire at Taco Bell drive-thru, Oklahoma City police say

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/jetpack-aviation-racing-test-flight/
    The world’s first jetpack racing league is poised to take off in 2019

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/historys-oldest-woman-a-fraud-theory-says-122-year-old-jeanne-calment-was-actually-a-99-year-old-imposter
    History’s oldest woman a fraud? Russian researchers claim 122-year-old Jeanne Calment was actually a 99-year-old imposter

https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/31/climate-change-policy-protests/
    2018 Saw A Global Revolt Against Climate Change Policies

Just Sad
    https://apnews.com/e28b313197bb46bebef0faca24b333ed
    Garbage, feces take toll on national parks amid shutdown

Have a Really Good Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all! It's wonderful Wednesday! 9C/48F with an expected high of 15C/60F and 40% chance of precipitation. I see my pension posted. Thankfully my government pension isn't bound to the budget, so the shutdown doesn't keep my from being paid. It would be difficult, to say the least, to try to get by on only my other annuity. I really feel for those affected by the shutdown and survived enough of them in my time working for the government, though luckily they were all much shorter term shutdowns and we all got paid for the time we were furloughed.

Need to feed the felines and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. All the laundry is folded and put away. I may find some other things to launder, like sheets, but they usually get folded and put away fairly quickly.

Breakfast was leftovers from last night's New Year feast.
    Hi Ed
    I wonder if the Trump Shutdown will last longer than the 16 days Obama shut down the Government back in October 2013 to force through the ACA ?

I think I will put off doing the Laundry until Friday, I did not get a restful nights sleep from Wednesday into today :(
    I did not even try and make it to Midnight, I did get to hear the Shotguns being fired at midnight when they woke me up. Hopefully they used blanks. Firing Regular shells into the air could be bad. Think the shot falling from the sky onto windows in cars for example.
    Every year I see several articles about people and/or property being damaged by bullets that were fired into the air when they come back down. While I certainly wouldn't wish harm on anyone, it does make me almost wish that more of them would come back down and at least scare the *KITTEN* out of the idiot that fired them into the air, if not actually harming the person.
    That makes sense to me. You would think that they would realize that what goes up must come down.

Airplanes for example, Take Offs are optional, Landings are not :smile:
    My Brother uses no salt when cooking, The Homemade Pea Soup was fine due to the salt from the Ham Bone and the Diced Ham added to it.
    The black eyed peas and the greens were both just right with no added salt. The broth and jowl bacon were salty enough for the greens and the ham bone and associated ham were salty enough for the black eyed peas, as expected. And neither one tasted overly salty either. I have learned that one generally doesn't need to add salt if using a ham bone and ham in a bean dish.
    BTW, Sourdough or Italian Bread, From the appearance it looks as if it could be either.
    Sourdough. I like Italian bread, but it's a long time since I actually bought any.
    [/quote]
    Preference here for Italian Bread, Especially the Thick Crusty type.
    The Ham was salty enough and that is despite that we bought the Low Sodium version.
    I wonder if a Crock Pot or Rice Cooker gets hot enough to bake Cornbread ? I'd guess the Rice Cooker as I have seen the water boiling in it as it cooks the rice.
    They do get hot enough to bake cornbread, or even yeast bread. And I've seen recipes for cake or brownies made in a crock pot. I baked some yeast bread in one, just for fun, once, but will generally use my bread maker for that since the whole purpose of having a bread maker is to make bread. Still, I may do it again sometime in a slow cooker.
    Lucky You to have a Bread maker, here no room on the counter or to store one away, Think early 50s or late 40s kitchen size.
    Interesting, We heated up Canned Collards and Mustard Greens and I do not recall either having an odor, Maybe I have a defective nose ?
    Probably not defective. There's a big difference between heating up canned greens and cooking fresh or frozen greens for 8 hours or more in a slow cooker. There's plenty of time for the aroma to get out in the air and build up.
    Black Eyed Peas, a Pea or a Bean, there seems to be some ambiguity over which they are from what I have seen, Bean family or Pea family ?
    Bean. There are a number of "peas" that are actually beans. I can think of black eyed peas, crowder peas, field peas, yellow eyed peas, just to name a few.
    I had not realized they took that much cooking, that would explain it.
    What makes it Southern Style Cornbread vs what we get or make up north where I am ?
    Well, to me (and quite a few other Southern people) Southern cornbread should have no sugar, or at least very little sugar. I prefer no sugar. And some people prefer, as I do, no flour in the cornbread, but only corn meal, though a mixture is usually the norm in packaged cornbread mixes.

I've seen many a cornbread recipe that sounds like (and often tastes like) corn cake rather than, to me, cornbread. The cornbread my mother always made when I was growing up was actually called Kentucky Corn Cake, in the Betty Crocker cookbook that she was probably given as a wedding present.

Don't get me wrong. I liked that Kentucky Corn Cake well enough, but even as a kid I realized that it was a lot sweeter than most of the other cornbread that was served to me at other places.

Some people also make a distinction between cornbread and corn muffins, the idea being that a muffin is expected to be a little sweet, though I would just as soon have my corn muffins made the same way, with no sugar. Most corn muffin mixes are on the sweet side. As with my mother's cornbread, I like a corn muffin well enough, now and then, but it's something of an exception for me.

I have made corn muffins with blueberries on occasion, and for that I usually use a sweet corn muffin mix and just add blueberries. I think it's a nice departure from the normal blueberry muffins, especially when I use my home grown blueberries. You might try that sometime with your home grown raspberries!
    [/quote]
    I tend to like a slightly sweet cornbread, With my Sweet Tooth. I wonder if the flour is for texture, taste or money reasons.

I never ever thought of putting Raspberries in a Muffin.
    The Famous Betty Crocker Cookbook :wink:
    More vegan appetizers. I have often made a meal of appetizers, and I'm sure that would work for vegan appetizers too.
    Potato Skins with Cheese for me.
    Sourdough chocolate cake. Interesting idea.
    Pass on that, I doubt that I would like the taste.
    Interesting article on cornbread here, claiming it may be along racial lines, but I know there are some southern white people who love sweet cornbread and I'm sure there are some southern non-white people who prefer it with no sugar.

And I've seen some recipes that have just a touch of sugar, probably not enough to taste, but claim that it somehow improves the cornbread, which I believe might be possible, depending on your definition of improvement.

And I honestly thought that northern people preferred sweet cornbread but I've seen articles claiming just the opposite.

To ME, southern cornbread is not sweet. Cake is sweet. Corn muffins can be sweet. They are, after all, muffins, a cake relative.

Here's the article I found.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/southern-cornbread/4283

Oh, and there does appear to be at least one vegan Hoppin John in a can!

https://www.allens.com/hoppin-john
    That is just weird to me, Along Racial lines ? Why would anybody bother to check into it ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! Actually its already after 12 noon...
    Time is flying by this morning!
    I've been busy doing chores. Not my fav. way to waste a morning.......
    Ed will get the final say if I'm wrong...but I think the difference is sugar or unsweetened cornbread... In the south the recipe's tend to have a sweetener....but in the Northern parts no sugar or other sweetener...

Black eyed peas are part of the cowpea family, which is all under one big umbrella...of beans. Not sure why it matters. Mine went down the disposal. (mostly because there were some meaty seasonings...like pork fat. Hmmrup! I did not see that in the grocery...I think I did not actually look. Checked to see if there was any cholesterol. Turns out the Collards were not bad!! So, I have leftover cooked and canned cabbage and Collards! OK!!! Time to put my brain to work...right after my breakfast of banana and avocado toast!

That last load of whites is still sitting in the dryer. Will fluff and fold later today. Still, I got 3 loads washed, dried and put away!

Still hacking cough. I hope this isn't one of the coughs that linger on for months...I see Dr. Pat next Tues, and its a good thing...I'm pretty sure I've put something out of place coughing.

Ted's been keeping me informed about Ultima Thule. Really neat stuff. Rattles my 'instant' brain' to think it will take years for some of the reports to come back to our planet!

Not sure what the fuss is about human composting. I personally think its not like a 'new' thing. Not anymore than I think cremation is a bad thing. 100 years ago or more, bodies were laid out in the family home, and then buried in a pine box....that in my opinion is also composting. but then that's just my opinion. (shrug)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    IMO doing chores is not a waste of time. Skip the chores for to long and pay the price when You start doing them.

The Only reason for my Query into Black Eyed Peas was the appearance where they looked like Beans.

Canned Cabbage is a new one for me, Is that a southern thing ?

Years for the reports that are being sent at the speed of light seems a little long to me.

As I see it the difference between burying in a pine box is that the remains stay there and are not being composted and used on plants in the yard, My opinion of course.
    Ok, so my page broke and I didn't see there was another page of posts...
    Ed, did a great job of defining northern or southern corn bread...and sugar. See I had it backwards. Cornbread my Mom made, cornbread I ate in NewHampshire, Penn, etc were not sweetened. I remember hearing my friend from Penn. fussing cuz her Southern raised hubs was a 'southerner' and had to have sweetened cornbread...It may actually depend on what your Mom baked and thus what you grew up on! ?? I dunno! :)

The black eyed peas were the only can that went down the drain...collards and cabbage were vegan. Had some leftover collards with my lunch, and drizzled mustard/honey sauce on them...it really was good! I was a bit surprised.

Ed, glad you got your check from the gov't. My social check doesn't come til the middle of the month, and I'd surely hope nobody up there in DC is thinking of withholding it. Snot their money, so they need to keep their money grubbing little hands off of it!!

Ok, really gotta go now..

Later...
    I think it completely depends on what You were raised with.

My SSI should appear on the 9th. Early this month and next month not until the 13th. A longish stretch IMO between them.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 11C/51F with an expected high of 13C/55F and 70% chance of precipitation. Very foggy this morning too.

I need to feed the felines and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. I had thought I might get out for a few groceries and may still, if I can beat the worst of the rain. It's supposed to settle down to steady showers by this afternoon/evening but may be intermittent rain in the morning.

I'm on my last mug of tea now. I'll see how it looks in a bit, when it gets lighter outside, but I don't want to get out into rush hour traffic. I suppose I could make it to Aldi and Publix easily enough as they are less than a mile away and I can take the back streets easily.

The new year doesn't seem to be starting with a bang, does it?

• parityanimal
    I know we all have our own ideas about how to roast vegetables, but let's see this version too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCHnpfbD894
  • parityanimal

I had not realized they took that much cooking, that would explain it.

Black Eyed peas and collard greens don't require 8 to 10 hours of cooking on the stovetop. Assuming the beans are fresh, frozen, or pre-soaked dried beans, they might need to simmer for an hour or two, but slow cookers are...well...slow!

Even on high, a slow cooker will take 4 to 6 hours for beans, usually, unless the beans are pre-cooked and you just want to warm them and give them some time for added flavors to infuse, in which case you are probably putting them in there just until they get hot, which may only take a couple of hours.

I find slow cookers are great for keeping things warm, or for cooking things when you don't want to have to pay attention to them, and have the time to wait while they cook.

Pot roast, in an oven, requires me to pay attention to the time, put the carrots in at the right time, and then, later, put the potatoes in. In a slow cooker I put the roast in, with liquids and seasoning, the carrots on top of that with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper, and the potatoes and usually an onion, possibly cut in halves if needed, with the potatoes, and that layer lightly sprinkled with salt, pepper, and paprika. Turn it on low and leave it alone for 8 to 10 hours, or high and leave it alone for 4 to 6 hour, as high isn't necessarily exactly half the time of low. I generally find mine are fine at the lower time limits, but mine tend to be smaller amounts of food.

For soups or stews, the slow cooker gives the food a good, long time for the flavors to blend and mingle and I really like the end result better than a more quickly done soup or stew on the stove top, but again it's a matter of time. And one done on the stove top is generally about as good if kept in the refrigerator overnight after cooking, and not eaten until the next day.

I loved using my slow cooker when I was working as I could take a few minutes in the morning to put everything in, and turn it on as I went out the door. When I got home in the evening, my dinner was ready and waiting. Yes, I know that this defies the rule of not leaving the slow cooker unattended, but I never had any issues from that, even with having cats in the house. My cats weren't stupid enough to get too close to a hot slow cooker, even if it DID smell wonderful, and I had used it enough while at home doing other things, such as laundry and housework, to verify that the cats wouldn't bother it. Eventually I got to where I am today with several slow cookers.

Pass on that, I doubt that I would like the taste.

Emmy claims that she doesn't taste the sourness from the sourdough. I suspect J would taste it but he's very sensitive to sour and to bitter tastes. Often I can taste them in the same food, but don't find it as offputting as he apparently does.

That is just weird to me, Along Racial lines ? Why would anybody bother to check into it ?

Because this is the American south and we still check everything in America, especially the south, along racial lines.

I put my race down as HUMAN when possible as I fill out forms. I wonder what they would do if I put down Martian?