Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    8700 steps + 1 cent from walking this morning. The weather is cooler today and clouded over with some rain in the forecast. The rain is forecast to start in South NJ and move into my area in the afternoon. I can't complain as we are still under where we should be for rain this year.

My Patio is being invaded by Tent Caterpillars. I have to keep killing them off of the Apple trees we planted, before I noticed them they decimated several of the leafs on them. They keep trying to cocoon up under the overhang around the back door and along the door as well as the same thing on the Shed. Not to mention around the outside back door trim and the bottom of the siding. The newly planted apple trees seem to be where they head for a snack, they do not seem to be bothering the Raspberry plants or the Blackberry plant.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi All...Its Friday!
    Gray, and spitting misty rain..how's that for a description!

Roger I looked up the book your Mom followed by Adelle Davis...there are several of them on Amazon...I got the latest one (1971, I think it was...it's $3. ) I've seen that book before, I remember the cover. Not sure if I owned at one time or not. (Worse yet, wonder if I read it and thought she was nuts? ) I did that with Dean Ornish...gave that book away thinking he was just crazy...had to re purchase it several years ago...oops! (just as an aside...did you know that Dr. Ornish is the first Medicare approved heart management program!) I was impressed. I heard him say it was the hardest thing he'd ever done/accomplished, that it took him 16 years. That is awful, but even worse, those who've also sought Medicare Approval for other issues usually say "really, ONLY 16 years?" No wonder we're number 35 in world health!

Ed, your big bold statement about having to eat healthy more than once not only made me laugh, reminds me of the commercial I see occasionally...about healthy being more than one, more than on sit up, one stalk of broccoli.... Yeah, really is cruel and unfair! LOL!!!! But, also true.

LeeAnn...Firm or extra firm tofu. Organic for certain, drain the water off, then set on either kitchen towels or folds of paper towels, and set an iron skillet, or plate with a can of beans, ie...something heavy on it for maybe 20 minutes. Drained tastes better IMHO.
    What you don't want is Silken Tofu. ITs great stuff if you want to make a totally smooth sauce, or naturally my fav,...chocolate mousse! I have a recipe for Ranch Dressing I keep meaning to try...somehow though my box of Silken Tofu always ends up chocolate....hmmmm! If you think about it from the nutritional standpoint, not only is it tasty, but probably the healthiest mousse out there!! :)

LeeAnn is that tight muscle the Psoas muscle? I think that's what you said....I had to laugh..yesterday at MY (yep, I think she's there just for me...sign of a good doc?), anyhow whe did something different. She put one hand on my left hip, and the other applied pressure to my left lower abdomen....conversation went something like this:
    Me: This is new? Feels good, what are you doing?
    Her: Your Psoas muscle was tight, and I'm releasing it.
    Me: my what? muscle...
    She repeated what she said...and added probably from your right hip being high. (which I knew when I went in there, and told her how this time I KNEW my hips were not 'level' or 'even'...)
    She asked how I knew my hip was out of whack...and I told her. (sitting in the massage chair at the gym the day before, I realized my left heel was just touching the floor....and my right heel was not. Checked to make sure I was sitting properly, check, and the body sleuth, (aka my brain) said loudly, AHH HA!!!)
    Anyhow, without going back and losing my post in the process, is that the muscle you're working with? I'm thinking it is.... small world FitBit Buddy!
    Only I was not in any pain....I expect gone unchecked, it would have been painful in the future.

Ok, its a cool, though humid day, and the doors are open, and I hear the birds singing, singing louder than my rumbling tummy demanding breakfast!!! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I can not tell if the book is good or bad, I sort of need to sit down and read it, So much to do, so little time :)
    Mom used to get it from the library for a while until she asked Me to get a copy for her, I ended up getting it via Amazon.

Good Saturday Morning!
    Bright but not sunny, and downright chilly! Ok, I think 50 anything is chilly. Especially when I'd gotten damp in the misty rain yesterday, and just could not get warm. Turned the heat to come on at 68, put blanket back on the bed, got out my winter sleep clothes...Did finally warm about 3:30 a.m this morning. I was just stuck at bone cold!!!

Lunch today with Marietta if it kills us!!! Yesterday got messed up, and we rescheduled for today...sound like my whole week last week.... Looking forward to a clean cut schedule this coming week! (fingers crossed)

Hockey game on tonite....my St. Louis Blues, (actually DS1's fav. team) is a game behind in the series...Hope the Blues have a great night on the ice!

Ed, your day does sound easy, and also great for socializing! Also hope that headache went away with a snack and your return to sleep.

Big win last night at GA's Mega Millions....$2!!!! LOL!!! Oh well, paid for playing this week. Now, on with bigger and better wins!

Tomorrow is O's 12th birthday...wow! Means I retired 12 years ago from the ARC. also...can't believe our little girl is knocking on the door of 'Teen-hood' (Teen-Hood--Technical term for 'hormones') I'm so glad I was able to work most of those years at a fun job at the gym, with a short stint at Starbucks!
    Oh my, how time flies...

Speaking of which, I need to be heading to the shower.

Have a great day, hope its warm and sunny where you are...Roger haven't seen a garden report lately....how's it growing?

LeeAnn, when is your appointment with the Sports Med Doc? Soon, if not already happened. I hate it that you're having pains. Not fun at all.

Later
    Hi Again
    You did better than I did, I just checked and the NJ Mega Millions and I are through, only one loser of a number :(

Garden report, considering that they were planted this year, I was surprised to see blossoms on the Apple trees and what appear to be flower buds on some of the Raspberry plants.
    We now have pulled some of the larger radishes this morning to thin out the row. Size from 3/4" to 1". Nice and crispy and not hot like they get later in the year. One of the two Rhubarb plants has pushed leafs above the surface and my brother thinks the Jerusalem Artichokes pictured below are coming up. They are planted in the raised bed in the front growing area on each side of the porch. I pictured them just in case.
    HL6CLD.jpgTcuD2b.jpg

Enjoy the Game
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Woke up a bit before 4:00 with a slight headache so I got up, fed Lilo and made something to eat.

Supposed to go to an afternoon party and then to dinner at a friend's home. Busy day!

I will go back to bed shortly to get a bit more sleep.
    Hi Ed
    You were up early and I was up and out running somewhat late today :)
    Hopefully the headache goes away speedily.

Enjoy the Party and Dinner
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    n8OlJx.gif
    That explains it :)

5ZEQYz.jpg
    Neat trick, It took me a few seconds to get it.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I've been held hostage by Apple! :) No, I finally got around to installing a OS that's been out there for 'awhile'. Took not all that long, but I started it last night and went to bed, so all night its been waiting for my admin password, which meant the install then took an additional half hour this morning that I wasn't counting on....but, its DONE!

Liked the 'flip car'...Weird...but to each his own? :)

Going with DS1 to wish O a Happy 12th Birthday....not sure how she got so old...one day at a time I guess... next year we'll have a teenager...oh lordy!

Bright sunny, coolish, but warming nicely today they say. Sounds good to me.
    Got the roses trimmed up, and the next flush of blooms is there and will open soon.

Not sure I'll get much outdoor time today or tomorrow...but even 20-30 minutes is nice.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,371 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! I have been up since about quarter after 7 but busy feeding Lilo, feeding me, and then working on a PROJECT.

The battery in my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10.1 (GT-P5210) had swollen and died, and had partially lifted the touchscreen cover off the device. Basically, the pad had turned itself into a brick.

I had ordered a replacement battery off of Amazon, which arrived yesterday, while we were out. Of course with all of yesterday's busy busy stuff, I didn't actually bring it in from the mail until after midnight, as we were out THAT late.

I turn into a pumpkin at midnight, so I was doing well to get the pets their late evening meals and fall into bed, so the PROJECT was put off until this morning.

Took me about an hour and a quarter to install the new battery. There are a couple of specks of stuff that got under the outer touchscreen, unfortunately, while it was lifted by the swollen battery. Normally the outer touchscreen is not removed during the battery replacement, but it had already largely removed itself so I had to at least re-seat it in it's proper place.

I got the battery replaced, the pad magically came back to life and is now charging in the other room. In testing, I did notice the specks that got under the outer screen but unless they cause big issues (probably not) I will not be attempting to deliberately remove the touchscreen as it's pretty firmly in place with whatever sticky stuff comes with it. We'll see how well the pad works after it charges up. I've been using my other, smaller, less worthy pad in the interval, but its battery life has always been rather dismal. Maybe I should buy a replacement battery for it too!

As for the day yesterday. I made baked beans for the early pool party, and as it turned out I was the ONLY one who made baked beans, so they were a popular item. I didn't make them very spicy at all this time, so there was no danger of melting anyone's face. Of the 40 or so people attending, 4 people brought potato salad, so I'm sure that there was lots of that left. I didn't eat too much at the party and J only ate a bite of the baked beans. We wanted to save ourselves for the later dinner party. I did get in the pool for just a dip. The water was cold but I think one could have become accustomed to it. I just didn't want to stay in the sun long enough to get accustomed to it. So I got back on the deck, under the umbrella and sipped my glass of Fresca.

We left the pool party around 4:00 and headed to the dinner party. I brought a hostess gift, consisting of a bottle of Writer's Block Cabernet Franc, 2013, a wine that I am quite fond of. As I had hoped, the host and hostess had never tried that varietal, and, while there was no requirement that it be served with dinner, there were apparently a lot of wine lovers amongst the 12 guests (14 people and one guest dog were the total attendees, including the hosts) and the bottle somehow got opened and on to the dinner table. The hosts loved it and were happy to have been introduced to that particular wine.

We got to their house about 6:00 (with one small stop on the way) and were immediately served champagne with appetizers of dolmas, cheeses, home made sourdough breads, olives, and, as the other guests arrived, additional appetizers of habanero pimiento cheese, gluten free cheese crackers, and I forget what else magically appeared.

Dinner wasn't actually placed on the table until quite late, well after 8:00, and conversation and food lasted a couple of hours, along with observation of the moon and Mars from the deck, then dessert and more conversation so it was after 11:00 before we left, and nearly an hour drive home. I got to bed about 12:30 this morning. I had a couple of glasses of champagne, one small glass of Beaujolais, and one small glass of the Cabernet Franc over the course of the evening. I wasn't drunk by any means, as it was a long evening, but I was sure glad J drove as I could easily have succumbed to highway hypnosis in the way home, since it was much later than I usually stay up and I was quite tired. The host insisted on sending some leftovers home with me. The lamb had been removed from the refrigerator at least two hours or so prior to dinner (it was served cold, with a delicious yogurt mint sauce) and then sat around in the kitchen during dinner and through dessert, so it had been sitting at room temperature for at least 5 or 6 hours when we left, and at least 6 and a half by the time we got home. So while I felt bad about accepting food that I knew I would throw out, he had plenty left for just him and his wife, if they wanted to eat it. I hated throwing lamb away, but 6 or 7 hours at room temperature? I think not... The small amount of three bean salad would probably have been fine, BUT...it was put into the same container with potato salad that had also been sitting out for 6 or 7 hours, so all of it went in the trash. I'll white lie this one and say that it was a delicious breakfast...which it WOULD have been if I trusted it.

Lilo kindly let me sleep in until about 7:15, though there was one possible effort to get someone up when she did her climbing trick up onto the headboard but that wasn't working this morning. LOL!

So yesterday was an incredibly social day, and very tiring but fun.

Today I still have indoor plant watering and laundry to do. Wheee!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I stopped for Coffee on the outbound leg at 7-Eleven and McDonalds for a Large Decaf and the Dollar Store for a Quart of 1% Milk to keep a decent amount of it on the Pantry shelf on the inbound leg + 8500 steps. I'm pretty sure I can use up the milk on cereal before it expires on April 11, 2017 :)

The Weather was in the Mid to upper 50s when I went out to start my walk, The Rain has passed for now and things are drying out.

My Brother picked up some Insecticidal Soap yesterday and it works pretty good on the Tent Caterpillars.

Have a Really Nice Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I've been held hostage by Apple! :) No, I finally got around to installing a OS that's been out there for 'awhile'. Took not all that long, but I started it last night and went to bed, so all night its been waiting for my admin password, which meant the install then took an additional half hour this morning that I wasn't counting on....but, its DONE!

Liked the 'flip car'...Weird...but to each his own? :)

Going with DS1 to wish O a Happy 12th Birthday....not sure how she got so old...one day at a time I guess... next year we'll have a teenager...oh lordy!

Bright sunny, coolish, but warming nicely today they say. Sounds good to me.
    Got the roses trimmed up, and the next flush of blooms is there and will open soon.

Not sure I'll get much outdoor time today or tomorrow...but even 20-30 minutes is nice.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I know You were not happy that the upgrade was not finished overnight.

Our Rose Bushes are just getting ready to bloom for the first time this year. Currently We have Large Purple Irises in Bloom, Large Purple & White and the smaller Purple ones which are late bloomers are in bloom too. The Later Blooming Bleeding Hearts are in Bloom too. The Apple trees have finished blooming and some of the larger Raspberry plants look like they are preparing to bloom. The write up on them when I was deciding which to order said they might bear a light amount of fruit the first year :)

Have a Nice Sunday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! I have been up since about quarter after 7 but busy feeding Lilo, feeding me, and then working on a PROJECT.

The battery in my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10.1 (GT-P5210) had swollen and died, and had partially lifted the touchscreen cover off the device. Basically, the pad had turned itself into a brick.

I had ordered a replacement battery off of Amazon, which arrived yesterday, while we were out. Of course with all of yesterday's busy busy stuff, I didn't actually bring it in from the mail until after midnight, as we were out THAT late.

I turn into a pumpkin at midnight, so I was doing well to get the pets their late evening meals and fall into bed, so the PROJECT was put off until this morning.

Took me about an hour and a quarter to install the new battery. There are a couple of specks of stuff that got under the outer touchscreen, unfortunately, while it was lifted by the swollen battery. Normally the outer touchscreen is not removed during the battery replacement, but it had already largely removed itself so I had to at least re-seat it in it's proper place.

I got the battery replaced, the pad magically came back to life and is now charging in the other room. In testing, I did notice the specks that got under the outer screen but unless they cause big issues (probably not) I will not be attempting to deliberately remove the touchscreen as it's pretty firmly in place with whatever sticky stuff comes with it. We'll see how well the pad works after it charges up. I've been using my other, smaller, less worthy pad in the interval, but its battery life has always been rather dismal. Maybe I should buy a replacement battery for it too!

As for the day yesterday. I made baked beans for the early pool party, and as it turned out I was the ONLY one who made baked beans, so they were a popular item. I didn't make them very spicy at all this time, so there was no danger of melting anyone's face. Of the 40 or so people attending, 4 people brought potato salad, so I'm sure that there was lots of that left. I didn't eat too much at the party and J only ate a bite of the baked beans. We wanted to save ourselves for the later dinner party. I did get in the pool for just a dip. The water was cold but I think one could have become accustomed to it. I just didn't want to stay in the sun long enough to get accustomed to it. So I got back on the deck, under the umbrella and sipped my glass of Fresca.

We left the pool party around 4:00 and headed to the dinner party. I brought a hostess gift, consisting of a bottle of Writer's Block Cabernet Franc, 2013, a wine that I am quite fond of. As I had hoped, the host and hostess had never tried that varietal, and, while there was no requirement that it be served with dinner, there were apparently a lot of wine lovers amongst the 12 guests (14 people and one guest dog were the total attendees, including the hosts) and the bottle somehow got opened and on to the dinner table. The hosts loved it and were happy to have been introduced to that particular wine.

We got to their house about 6:00 (with one small stop on the way) and were immediately served champagne with appetizers of dolmas, cheeses, home made sourdough breads, olives, and, as the other guests arrived, additional appetizers of habanero pimiento cheese, gluten free cheese crackers, and I forget what else magically appeared.

Dinner wasn't actually placed on the table until quite late, well after 8:00, and conversation and food lasted a couple of hours, along with observation of the moon and Mars from the deck, then dessert and more conversation so it was after 11:00 before we left, and nearly an hour drive home. I got to bed about 12:30 this morning. I had a couple of glasses of champagne, one small glass of Beaujolais, and one small glass of the Cabernet Franc over the course of the evening. I wasn't drunk by any means, as it was a long evening, but I was sure glad J drove as I could easily have succumbed to highway hypnosis in the way home, since it was much later than I usually stay up and I was quite tired. The host insisted on sending some leftovers home with me. The lamb had been removed from the refrigerator at least two hours or so prior to dinner (it was served cold, with a delicious yogurt mint sauce) and then sat around in the kitchen during dinner and through dessert, so it had been sitting at room temperature for at least 5 or 6 hours when we left, and at least 6 and a half by the time we got home. So while I felt bad about accepting food that I knew I would throw out, he had plenty left for just him and his wife, if they wanted to eat it. I hated throwing lamb away, but 6 or 7 hours at room temperature? I think not... The small amount of three bean salad would probably have been fine, BUT...it was put into the same container with potato salad that had also been sitting out for 6 or 7 hours, so all of it went in the trash. I'll white lie this one and say that it was a delicious breakfast...which it WOULD have been if I trusted it.

Lilo kindly let me sleep in until about 7:15, though there was one possible effort to get someone up when she did her climbing trick up onto the headboard but that wasn't working this morning. LOL!

So yesterday was an incredibly social day, and very tiring but fun.

Today I still have indoor plant watering and laundry to do. Wheee!
    Hi Ed
    From what I have seen regarding rechargeable batteries swelling is not as bad as the way some of them catch fire. Regarding the other one that never had great battery life I suspect a new battery would not help, most likely a design compromise between battery size a& weight vs battery runtime by the maker. What might work better is one of the outboard battery packs can be used to provide extra runtime.

It sounds as if You had a Busy day. I Know my brother would have eaten both the lamb and the Salad :)
    I'm talking about a brother that brings home Chinese food for lunch and lets some of it sit out in his bedroom for a middle of the night snack if he wakes up hungry or Breakfast if not. I think he must have a cast iron stomach.

Have a Nice Restful day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    cURKgz.jpg

99JUpO.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    LOL Roger.... nice jokes!

Ed, I'm afraid I'd have ditched that food also... food poisoning is NOT fun!

I had a fun time with the Birthday Girl, and family. Jack flew his Drone, and it was taking video which we didn't know...fun to see it work. One of the dogs is deathly afraid of the thing! Interesting video! Different since it was above our heads....not what you usually see.

Full Flower Moon was yesterday, but tonite should still be quite big, and Mars is the brightest its been in 10 years...all this news from the weather lady...Doubt I can stay awake long enough to see it.!

Time to feed the cats. I ate first tonite. Will have some fruit for dessert after I've fed the wildcats.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! No rain in today's forecast, high of 82. Summer is winning the current round it looks like.

Off to the salt races!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning Y'all,
    It is not only sunny, and expected dry til later in the week, we're getting north breezes/winds bringing low humidity! Love it! (57 on my porch...will warm in a bit.)

Lunch with niece today and whatever time I can carve out for my yard!

Rant Alert:
    You computer literate guys will laugh...but I don't find it funny.
    2 things I found this morning about the new OS. Its messed with my email...I use gmail, and my filing system has been screwed up. I know 'shrug'...also my Fitbit is not automatically updating to my computer. Is fine with phone, and I'll assume iPad...but had to manually start the sync on my computer. This could become a pain in the anatomy. This is why I really hate these 'new and improved' OS changes. Yes, I'm becoming a grumpy old person.
    OK...rant over. (at least for your guys....Ted on the other hand will get to listen to it later. The 'joys' of being his Mom's computer's Admin!! :) )

Cats enjoying their breakfast...I think I'll go seek mine. :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I dropped off a home made Banana Chocolate/Chocolate Chip/Walnut Loaf while I was walking. My brothers idea to get rid of that temptation :)
    9100 Steps and 11 Cents. Today's weather is beautiful and since I was wearing my backpack I stopped at the grocery store for 4 Bananas, 3 types of Apples and a Green Pear.

While walking I was listening to Richard Diamond and one of the Commercials was for Camel Cigarettes. They said in that commercial that over 1/2 of the price of a pack was Taxes, Federal Taxes of 8 cents and 3 or 4 cents state taxes. They sure were a lot cheaper back then :)

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    LOL Roger.... nice jokes!

Ed, I'm afraid I'd have ditched that food also... food poisoning is NOT fun!

I had a fun time with the Birthday Girl, and family. Jack flew his Drone, and it was taking video which we didn't know...fun to see it work. One of the dogs is deathly afraid of the thing! Interesting video! Different since it was above our heads....not what you usually see.

Full Flower Moon was yesterday, but tonite should still be quite big, and Mars is the brightest its been in 10 years...all this news from the weather lady...Doubt I can stay awake long enough to see it.!

Time to feed the cats. I ate first tonite. Will have some fruit for dessert after I've fed the wildcats.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I am ambivalent regarding Drones in private hands..... Privacy issues and more.
    Good Morning Y'all,
    It is not only sunny, and expected dry til later in the week, we're getting north breezes/winds bringing low humidity! Love it! (57 on my porch...will warm in a bit.)

Lunch with niece today and whatever time I can carve out for my yard!

Rant Alert:
    You computer literate guys will laugh...but I don't find it funny.
    2 things I found this morning about the new OS. Its messed with my email...I use gmail, and my filing system has been screwed up. I know 'shrug'...also my Fitbit is not automatically updating to my computer. Is fine with phone, and I'll assume iPad...but had to manually start the sync on my computer. This could become a pain in the anatomy. This is why I really hate these 'new and improved' OS changes. Yes, I'm becoming a grumpy old person.
    OK...rant over. (at least for your guys....Ted on the other hand will get to listen to it later. The 'joys' of being his Mom's computer's Admin!! :) )

Cats enjoying their breakfast...I think I'll go seek mine. :)

Later...

Hi Again
    I'm not surprised You had some weirdness's with the new OS, I have had some weirdness from the Free Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10 myself and I was sure Apple was not immune. I think the Windows 10 has caused issues with this computers sound and the one External Drive for example. Another thing that did not work and then seems to be working is setting a default image viewer.

Enjoy Your Family Lunch
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! No rain in today's forecast, high of 82. Summer is winning the current round it looks like.

Off to the salt races!
    Hi Ed
    We have a chance of afternoon Thunderstorms for the next two days, then again on Thursday & Friday. Not a big surprise to me as most Summer afternoons You would see afternoon T-Storms due to heated air rising, cooling into localized brief rain. Since it seems to be more humid currently I am not surprised as I say.

Enjoy the Week
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Roger, I share your feelings about the Drones....DS1's was a 'company' Christmas Gift. How's that for a gift...???? Anyhow, it comes with an app, that shows you if you are allowed by law to fly at whatever your location is...or if its in the radius of an airport you have to call them and get permission to fly it, etc....
    Other than playing with in around his back yard, well below the tree tops, he did fly high enough one day last fall to check his gutters on the 3rd floor roof to see if he needed to hire somebody to go up there and clean them out... Gutters were clean! :) At least he found a 'valid' use for the darned thing! :)

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Ok, both of you are smart men, and LeeAnn an intelligent woman...I have a PREDICAMENT!

Today in the mail, sent to Resident of ...my address..
    United States Census Bureau. Its the American Community Survey.
    What he hell is this? US census happens every 10 years, and is not due again til 2020.

So...I'm to go online and fill out this 'survey' that should take 40 minutes....and it gives an address, and an 800 number if I have questions.

Well, I do have questions.....what is this, is it REALLY from the Census Bureau?, etc. I personally think its a scam...
    That said..
    I've googled it. I've seen all kinds of responses, from 'scam' to 'under penalty of law'....
    Checked Clark Howard, our person here in ATL who looks into consumer things..
    He said several years ago, that it is not a scam,
    What's Clark's advice? from 2010....

He says the form is obnoxious and intrusive, and he suggests you only give the government what is required by the constitution: your name, your age, and who else lives in your house. The government can fine you $100 for not completely filling out the form.

Clark says the government conducts the long-form survey to provide businesses with demographic data. Businesses aren't the only ones who can access this data. You can see it, too.

Here's the link: Census Forms Demographic Data

Guys, I think I may be about to be harassed, as many others have been, and part with $100.
    I hate things like this.
    I saw a list of a few of the 28 pages of questions..
    Like:
    What race are the people in your household?
    What time to you leave for work?

* Do you have any trouble dressing, bathing, or getting around inside your home?

* Did you stay home sick from your job last week?

* List all your income from all sources.

* What is the name of your employer?

* How many bathrooms are inside your home?

* What was your electric bill last month?

* Do you have a second mortgage or home equity loan on your house?

* What is your ancestry or ethnic origin? Example, Italian, Cambodian, Canadian, Polish, etc.

* Do you have any difficulty going outside alone or going to the doctor's office?

IMHO this is none of their damn business. These questions came from another of Clark's groups, of pilots. One of them really had some fun, and answered questions of race with 'human'
    list income...'Enough'
    etc....some of the answers were truly hilarious, and this person reported he never heard from them again...this was from 2007.

As long as I don't go to jail, I'll be back. Cuz I really don't think I'm answering this. Except for name, age, # of persons in residence. (wonder if I should count the cats?)

I will appreciate ANY input...have you ever seen one of these? What did you do with it?

Later...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Ok, both of you are smart men, and LeeAnn an intelligent woman...I have a PREDICAMENT!

What he hell is this? US census happens every 10 years, and is not due again til 2020.

So...I'm to go online and fill out this 'survey' that should take 40 minutes....and it gives an address, and an 800 number if I have questions.

Well, I do have questions.....what is this, is it REALLY from the Census Bureau?, etc. I personally think its a scam...
    That said..
    I've googled it. I've seen all kinds of responses, from 'scam' to 'under penalty of law'....

He says the form is obnoxious and intrusive, and he suggests you only give the government what is required by the constitution: your name, your age, and who else lives in your house. The government can fine you $100 for not completely filling out the form.

Clark says the government conducts the long-form survey to provide businesses with demographic data. Businesses aren't the only ones who can access this data. You can see it, too.

Guys, I think I may be about to be harassed, as many others have been, and part with $100.
    I hate things like this.
    Like:

* Do you have any trouble dressing, bathing, or getting around inside your home?

* What is your ancestry or ethnic origin? Example, Italian, Cambodian, Canadian, Polish, etc.

* Do you have any difficulty going outside alone or going to the doctor's office?

IMHO this is none of their damn business. These questions came from another of Clark's groups, of pilots. One of them really had some fun, and answered questions of race with 'human'
    list income...'Enough'
    etc....some of the answers were truly hilarious, and this person reported he never heard from them again...this was from 2007.

As long as I don't go to jail, I'll be back. Cuz I really don't think I'm answering this. Except for name, age, # of persons in residence. (wonder if I should count the cats?)

I will appreciate ANY input...have you ever seen one of these? What did you do with it?

Later...

Not all households will necessarily receive the ACS. The Census MAY be sending out that request this year, but you can find out more information (and see if this matches what you received) at:

http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/about/forms-and-instructions/2016-form.html

I have, in the past, put HUMAN as my race as well on some forms. Don't remember if I put it on Census or not...

For silly questions like "Did you stay home sick from your job last week" I'd just say, in your case, staying home IS your job. :) The race of the people in my house is human, feline, ferret, and sugar glider...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

86 degrees for the high today with no rain in the forecast. Summer has won, I think. Sigh...

Off to the rat mines.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I stopped at the 7-Eleven as they have the cheapest Coffee on the outbound of my walk +7400 steps. It drizzled very lightly for a few blocks on the way to get my coffee, then on the inbound as I was starting the last three blocks it started drizzling again, it was a little heavier by the time I reached the house, Not enough to make it worth pulling the Umbrella out of he pocket however. Then around the house to Kill more Tent caterpillars, especially the ones that had climbed onto the new Apple Trees :)

The rain is not hard enough to get the ground under the trees wet yet.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Roger, I share your feelings about the Drones....DS1's was a 'company' Christmas Gift. How's that for a gift...???? Anyhow, it comes with an app, that shows you if you are allowed by law to fly at whatever your location is...or if its in the radius of an airport you have to call them and get permission to fly it, etc....
    Other than playing with in around his back yard, well below the tree tops, he did fly high enough one day last fall to check his gutters on the 3rd floor roof to see if he needed to hire somebody to go up there and clean them out... Gutters were clean! :) At least he found a 'valid' use for the darned thing! :)

Hi Valerie
    That does sound like a valid use of a drone. OTOH We know our gutters need cleaning here, The last decent rain the gutters were overflowing with nothing coming out the downspout :)
    What is annoying about them getting clogged is all the leaves have to be coming from the yards behind ours or Next Door and across the street in front of the house. So we end up with lots of leafs to clean up every fall as a result.

That said..

I hate things like this.
    Like:

list income...'Enough'

Later...

Hi Again
    I think I would go to this page or use the info below and call to make sure they sent You one, I could see a scammer doing it too.
    http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/contact.html
    Did you receive an American Community Survey form? Do you have questions? Would you like to complete the survey over the phone?

Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Line: 1-800-354-7271.

Note: For callers with hearing loss, you can reach our toll-free number above using your state or national relay services (a.k.a. TRS) based on your mode of communication preference (TTY, VCO, CapTel, Videophone, etc.).

¿Necesita ayuda? Llame 1-877-833-5625.
    Do you have questions about finding or using American Community Survey data?

Census Bureau Customer Help Center: 1-800-923-8282
    Demographic Call Center: 301-763-INFO (4636) or 1-866-758-1060
    Or submit a question online at ask.census.gov.

FWIW I know my brother would be very, very unhappy to receive that survey in the mail.

Good Luck with the survey
    Roger

That said..

I hate things like this.
    Like:

list income...'Enough'

Later...

Not all households will necessarily receive the ACS. The Census MAY be sending out that request this year, but you can find out more information (and see if this matches what you received) at:

http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/about/forms-and-instructions/2016-form.html

I have, in the past, put HUMAN as my race as well on some forms. Don't remember if I put it on Census or not...

For silly questions like "Did you stay home sick from your job last week" I'd just say, in your case, staying home IS your job. :) The race of the people in my house is human, feline, ferret, and sugar glider...
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

86 degrees for the high today with no rain in the forecast. Summer has won, I think. Sigh...

Off to the rat mines.
    Hi Ed
    It does sound intrusive and would most likely be a gold mine of personal information for scammers that create a duplicate form.

We go into the Mid to High 80s starting tomorrow for the next four days.
    AC units will be running and the electric meter busy measuring for those days :(

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Had to type that quickly, as its about to become afternoon!
    Stayed up last night listening to the Hockey game....St. Louis lost...in the 2nd nd 3rd periods. First period was a hockey game! after that something changed. Not sure what, but it cost them the game. AND, after that I couldn't sleep. So, I saw 1:30 this morning...not good.
    Late getting up, and have frittered away my morning, after feeding cats, online reading, and surfing. When will I learn? I did make tea for the day, and put a few items in the dishwasher, but basically...I've been a slug.

Taking this 'survey' thing to O's last gymnastics practice for this school year, and maybe my kids will have heard of it, or have some ideas as well. I've had 'long form' census before, but it was during census years...(years ending in '0')....this is just way off.
    Thanks for your inputs on this dilemma of mine. Sad when you no longer can trust. Just the thought of telling 'someone' where I work, when I leave for work, and how many people live at my house..sounds like an open invite to come invade my unattended house? mmmmmmm.

Ok, what else? Ummm, if I eat something, I hope to go cut the grass, then come in for a quick shower and gym time. Then go see O's last gym. It will be 'enough' for this day! :)

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, I went back and used the web site Ed....I guess I'm 'stuck' with it. Fines seemed quite hefty if I don't. Nosey bunch... I do have a good alarm system, so there's that. GRRRRRRR! said the crabby old woman!!!
    Roger, I think I'd like your brother, we seem to think alike...except for all of his 'sweet stuff' baking.... LOL!!
    Ok, now it is 4 minutes til afternoon...

Later...