100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Options

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Jan! Wow. Sorry your ankle is hurt...hope it heals quickly. Im so glad the snake didn't hurt your dog...and that its gone! That would seriously scare me.
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    I went shopping for work clothes for this trip..um, the mirror gave me very honest and very painful feedback. I'm in shock about how flabby I've made myself again. A reality check was overdue. And then i went to the grocery store and bought zucchini and bell peppers. I know i cant "fix" this by next week, but i can get back on ghr right path. Thank you all for being here!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi All!

Wow, gone a few days and you have all turned into prolific writers!!

Amanda! Great to see you back! I have thought of you! I hope you do come back and catch us all up!! We all do better with all the support!

Bev, you have a great sense of humor about this all! really important at times!!

Roger, it is nice to know you have problems with the heating, too! I thought it was just me, lol!

Val, I am so happy you are doing great! Glad the TENS is working, though I hate you still have some pain! I will be thinking of you on your trip! That is just so awesome!!!

You know that classic it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. My life! I celebrated my 63rd birthday on July 8th. My son and I shopped at a honeyed ham place he was wanting to visit and we picked up some awesome ham and turkey. We had a get together lunch with my daughter and had fresh tomatos, cucumbers and made sandwiches, sort of an indoor picnic,which at 80% humidity and 97 degrees seemed a really good idea. I had a really good birthday, that was not done, lol! Later that afternoon, my ankle started to hurt from the nite before. All I did was get off the couch from sitting, and it felt sprained. but some ice made it fine. Well, birthday afternoon I could not walk. Then May May cornered something in the yard, and it was the fattest largest snake I ever saw. By the time I got my dogs in, he vanished. That really is not good, as the dogs go out all day with a doggie door. I went out with them several times, all good. At 10;30 at night, I see him again. I have a cane I was walking with, and May, barked but wisely kept her distance. I hobbled over and grabbed a heavy 60 lb tile, and was going to crush him, but he was just a little faster, and I could not catch him, being impaired. So, an S.O.S. to my kids that night. I did get a better look, a true triangular head, and rattlers at the end. Nearest I could tell, it was a timberwood rattlesnake. My son came the next morning and found it, which was really a God thing, though not for the snake. He shot it, and we are all resting a little easier. I was chasing him with my step mothers walker, lol. Finally on Sat. I had to call my daughter and she took me to Primed. I was in awful pain from the ankle. I sprained it, and am hobbling in a boot now. I have to adjust my meds because they do not last the 12 hours, and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to get up, go to the bathroom, get my meds, water, and feed the dogs. by then I am hurting, and finally sit. Except now I have to go to the bathroom again, which is another 1/2 hour journey. my house is a wreck, and I am averaging, 300 steps on the fitbit, I guess due to the gliding motion of the walker. but the boot at least gets me around!

I feel lucky though! That snake was 3 feet long, and was as thick around as my upper arm. You could tell he had just eaten two of something, which probably saved May May from being bitten, he just wanted to be left alone! She alerted us well, and kept Chester away, as he is almost blind. Love dogs!!! To the bathroom, and TRYING to stay off foot, ha, ha! Long week or two in store! Have a good one, friends. Jan <3

Hi Jan
    Happy belated Birthday :)

I have never had the Honey Ham, I'm glad to hear it is good. When I was working they came around and offered a platter to try. Since by then I was the entire workforce for that location I declined the offer as I would have felt somewhat guilty taking advantage of them that way.

I am sorry to hear about Your Ankle & pain. Sometimes we jut get hurt by the littlest thing. I ended up having to go for treatment from excruciating pain that just built to where I could barely walk. All I did that day was step of the curb to turn the lawn mower as I was mowing the front lawn and a X-Ray showed I broke a bone. I ended up in a Walking boot that I had to wear 24 hours a day. Sometimes bad things happen to good people as happened to You. Come to think about it I believe I may have been Younger than You when that happened.

You were lucky that You spotted the snake and were able to deal with it with no problems to Your dogs.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Happy birthday Jan! Wow. Sorry your ankle is hurt...hope it heals quickly. Im so glad the snake didn't hurt your dog...and that its gone! That would seriously scare me.
    I went shopping for work clothes for this trip..um, the mirror gave me very honest and very painful feedback. I'm in shock about how flabby I've made myself again. A reality check was overdue. And then i went to the grocery store and bought zucchini and bell peppers. I know i cant "fix" this by next week, but i can get back on ghr right path. Thank you all for being here!

Hi Val
    I know exactly what You mean, I have found that one day off the NS plan can lead to multiple days of having to eat 100% to get back where I was.

We have been having an overabundance of Zucchini this week. They went from only flowers for a couple of weeks to suddenly a bunch of them to be picked. We even gave three away as there so many. The Neighbor was happy FWIW.

Good Luck Finishing the Trip Prep
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I stopped at the Grocery Store while walking 5K steps + One Shiny Dime (10 Cents). I did Pick up 5 bananas as I was able to find some that were greenish $0.49 a pound, 5 Cameo Apples $0.99 a pound, and 2 Tangerines at $0.40 each. The weather is good and was at 66 degrees out the door. It is warming up already due to the cloudless sky, Tomorrow is forecast to be in the high 60s overnight and then for several days each overnight is warmer in the 70s with a forecast overnight low of 75 degrees later this week :(

Nothing planned for today unless I have a burst of energy and decide to vacuum or do laundry, OTOH there is always Manana :)

Have a Great Upcoming Week
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I managed to walk 6100 steps and 11 cents. It is 2 degrees amd 68 degrees warmer than yesterday and slightly more humid, However it was still OK at 6:20 when I got out the door. The rest of the week is trending warmer into the 70s for a overnight low and Humid according to the weather forecasts :(
    I predict a case of terminal sweat for the warmest most humid day :)

I did have to detour off the sidewalks into the road a couple of times due to lawn sprinklers, Why they are watering the Sidewalk is unknown, it won't grow or heal its cracks.

I had part of the Banana before my walk and the rest with a NS Chocolate Protein shake on my return and I am still trying to decide between the NS Waffles and the NS French Toast for the remainder of my Breakfast, Decisions, Decisions! Hopefully I will not repeat yesterday and forget to have the rest of my Breakfast. I also forgot my Vitamins yesterday so I sat down and had them with my Shake this morning.

Have a Really Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Im so glad to be paying attention to my health & weight again. I'm really back now! We are leaving a day early for vacation...heading out Thurs rather than Fri. All my work clothes are packed and in the car. Car has a full tank. Added water softener salt. Told the credit card company where we're going. Gave emergency contact info to multiple parties. Coins for toll roads. Envelopes to collect tax deductible receipts (visit rentsl property), and work-reimbursible receipts. Cleaned the AC filter. Replaced the fridge water filter. Labeled my kid's clothes for camp. Filled a hole that Oscar dug. Trimmed two of four trees...the others will have to wait. Im almost done with my to-do list of pre-trip preparation. Need to do more yard work. (I already need a vacation from my vacation.)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Val
    I'm impressed by how ready You already are for the trip. Very Organized !

Congratulations on getting back into Your health too
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Im totally tickled by my regaining my mobility! My teen was concerned as i skipped around the house. When there was nothing i could do to relieve the pain, i did everything i could to avoid/ prevent it. Now with the TENS, i can do what i want, and if the pain comes, i can pause to get relief.
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Ive never been away from my dogs for more than two weeks...this time it will be more than four weeks. Im seriously going to miss them.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    5400 steps today - So far :)
    The weather is warmer than yesterday as it was 71 degrees as a low reading overnight on the front porch. The Living room was already at 77 degrees on my return from walking. I will say it was not to bad out there walking until the last few blocks. The saving factor was the breeze.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
    Im totally tickled by my regaining my mobility! My teen was concerned as i skipped around the house. When there was nothing i could do to relieve the pain, i did everything i could to avoid/ prevent it. Now with the TENS, i can do what i want, and if the pain comes, i can pause to get relief.
    Ive never been away from my dogs for more than two weeks...this time it will be more than four weeks. Im seriously going to miss them.

Hi Val
    I suspect that if I tried skipping around the house a couple of things would happen. I'd fall on my face and my brother would start looking at me strangely :)

I am glad that the TENS is helping that much with the pain. That puts it in the category of why didn't the doctor tell me about it. All most of them seem to know is prescription pain killers.

Sometimes it is a unavoidable thing, You would not want to try and take the dogs with you I suspect that would be unfair to them.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    All serious and no humorous makes for a very dull life :)

A Little Humor...
    9oe4Ik.gif

Since You have cats
    iaI6xL.jpg

adkGb5.jpg

And Last but not least
    ijjfWx.gif
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Val, you have a safe and wonderful trip! Hope we hear from you! The puppies will do fine! You are lucky to have someone watch them at home! You will get mobbed when you get back!!

Bev, I loved the info on the watermelon! Just because of that I will buy lots more!

Can't wait to hear back from Belle!

Roger, tickled about your zucchini. Of course zucchini bread is my favorite, but I love it baked with olive oil and garlic, or sauteed by itself or with yellow squash! It makes wonderful vegetable lasagna, using the zucchini to substitute the noodle! Yum!!!! Hm, wishing for zucchini now, lol!

Ankle is coming along; My foot hurts more from a gout attack from the ham, I guess, than the ankle hurts. The boot is great support but lousy for gout! (eye roll, lol!)

Hang tough All!! Jan B)

• hope4change_val
    Options
    Traveling w four dogs totalling 200# and two people in a subcompact car for a month...covering >5,000 miles....you're funny Roger! Very few motels allow 4 dogs in one room, so id have to pay twice the hotel fees + pet fees per dog x 30days. When I'm at work, they'd be be bored, lonely, and crated. They will all be together, at home, with someone they know and love, with beds, A/C, food, water, toys, doggie door, and fenced yard...they will be more relaxed at home than sitting in a hotel. Even with all that...if they could choose, they'd choose to go with me cause im their favorite thing in the world...and I'm honored to hold that place in their hearts. But as their mom, I'm choosing what is better for them vs what they want.
  • RogerToo
    Options

Buttons61 wrote: »
    Val, you have a safe and wonderful trip! Hope we hear from you! The puppies will do fine! You are lucky to have someone watch them at home! You will get mobbed when you get back!!

Bev, I loved the info on the watermelon! Just because of that I will buy lots more!

Can't wait to hear back from Belle!

Roger, tickled about your zucchini. Of course zucchini bread is my favorite, but I love it baked with olive oil and garlic, or sauteed by itself or with yellow squash! It makes wonderful vegetable lasagna, using the zucchini to substitute the noodle! Yum!!!! Hm, wishing for zucchini now, lol!

Ankle is coming along; My foot hurts more from a gout attack from the ham, I guess, than the ankle hurts. The boot is great support but lousy for gout! (eye roll, lol!)

Hang tough All!! Jan B)
    4Bz23p.jpg

Hi Jan
    That is a good idea, I think I'll mention Zucchini Bread to my brother :)

According to NS watermelon is very good for You, They do suggest no more than one cup a day however due to the natural sugar in it. Who can eat just one cup, seriously, they have to be kidding.

I am sorry to hear that You had a Gout attack. I had the first one in the 70s :(

I could just sit there and feel a throb of pain with each heartbeat. I did not even know what it was until I saw a foot doctor.

I hope it clears up quickly.
    Roger
    Traveling w four dogs totalling 200# and two people in a subcompact car for a month...covering >5,000 miles....you're funny Roger! Very few motels allow 4 dogs in one room, so id have to pay twice the hotel fees + pet fees per dog x 30days. When I'm at work, they'd be be bored, lonely, and crated. They will all be together, at home, with someone they know and love, with beds, A/C, food, water, toys, doggie door, and fenced yard...they will be more relaxed at home than sitting in a hotel. Even with all that...if they could choose, they'd choose to go with me cause im their favorite thing in the world...and I'm honored to hold that place in their hearts. But as their mom, I'm choosing what is better for them vs what they want.

Hi Val
    I know, I know, OTOH I know they will miss You, and that You will miss them. Just think how ecstatic they will be when You do get back to them however.

More than 5K miles. That is a lot. Do not forget to check Your tire pressure before starting out on each leg of Your journey. Do You have a full size spare just in case? My Brother and I, the first thing we did is Put a full size spare in the trunk when we get a car with the Donut spare :)

Have a Safe trip, It can't too long now :)
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Thanks all for the well wishes. My car and tires are quite new...and it just got an oil change and rotation. It has a donut, but we'll be on main highways, so should be fine. I have a jack, tire guage, and air compressor too! Ive noticed as the years go on, i find i am more and more 'concerned' about being prepared for anything. Um, yeah, i feel quite silly for all the 'Just in case....throw this in the car' items. Just the short list: bottled water, lysol wipes, snacks for Em, NS for me, blankets/pillows, books, computers, solar radio/phone charger, flashlights, work clothes, casual clothes, camp clothes, etc, etc. and we'll be in very populated places!!! Oh well, i earned my Girl Scout preparedness badge! Time for bed...leaving early tomorrow. Hugs to you all. I will keep in touch.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Warm enough to be uncomfortable walking today, 6800 steps due to humidity. It was 74.5 at Midnight and 75.4 at 5:30 this morning, High Humidity too, Not all that comfortable despite getting out the door early. It appears that there was a little rain overnight too from what I could see.

On my ToDo list for today, clean the Living Room AC Filter, the Clean Filter light turned on at some point yesterday. I am not that worried as it appears to be a running time indicator rather than detecting a dirty filter :) The other thing on my list beyond being here posting is try and decide if I need to put the Window unit in a window in this small bedroom where I have this computer.

Also I see that Yesterday was patch Tuesday for Windows users. Here is a link that explains what they are and why. I will be installing them on this computer as much of the time I Hibernate it when I finish so I can resume where I left off. If They are not manually installed they usually install at shut down and I have not shut down this one this week only Hibernated it.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Thanks all for the well wishes. My car and tires are quite new...and it just got an oil change and rotation. It has a donut, but we'll be on main highways, so should be fine. I have a jack, tire guage, and air compressor too! Ive noticed as the years go on, i find i am more and more 'concerned' about being prepared for anything. Um, yeah, i feel quite silly for all the 'Just in case....throw this in the car' items. Just the short list: bottled water, lysol wipes, snacks for Em, NS for me, blankets/pillows, books, computers, solar radio/phone charger, flashlights, work clothes, casual clothes, camp clothes, etc, etc. and we'll be in very populated places!!! Oh well, i earned my Girl Scout preparedness badge! Time for bed...leaving early tomorrow. Hugs to you all. I will keep in touch.

Hi Val Funny You should mention being prepared, for many years I carried a shovel in the car all winter in case I got stuck and I did need one year back in the early 80s too. Also Just in case I also carried a Spare Comforter in case of a winter breakdown. I used it one year when I got snowed in at work :)

I mentioned the tires as all tire leak down, some slowly and others a little faster. I also have a breakdown kit in he trunk that I was given that has flares, a compressor etc.

Have a Safe trip whenever You see this
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Industry groups, such as National Hot Dog and Sausage Council in the USA, which designates July as National Hot Dog Month and National Hot Dog Day which in 2016 falls on July 14

In Honor of that fact
    MlO0Rg.jpg
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am doing pretty good this week. I do not want to get up and drag my boot so I am eating less! Perhaps a trick for all the time, the old fashioned ball and chain!!

The jokes are all appreciated. The bathroom one hit a little close to home as the first few days I could barely make it to the bathroom in time, lol! May May does bring presents but they are usually bugs and crickets, thank goodness! I can sure relate!! I love the Frank n Stein above, and wonder where it was taken! It also gives me a taste for a kosher dog, and a root beer float! ( with approved ingredients of course!)

Rodger, are the critters still getting at your garden? Did you figure what it was?

I think I walked 350 feet today. that's depressing! OTOH, I may beat that today!! The fitbit does not seem to get all the steps, though obviously I make as few as possible! Apparently gliding does not count too high! :)

Watch the humidity, Roger, it can sure sneak up on you!

Thinking of you Val and your get away! Wish I was going to Harry Potter camp! Jan B)

• hope4change_val
    Options
    Minimal walking for me, but i Drove 780 miles today...all going the speed limit! Having dinner in our hotel room...a can of corn for me, and Lucky Charms for Em. We're not super fancy! The camp sent me an email asking me to print and email Em's health form because it got misplaced. Along with the kitchen sink, i brought the original with...so i just had the hotel fax it. One check mark for being prepared!