100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited July 2016
    h6ypbo9dryad.jpg
    Hi Roger, Em has two necklaces on...the big thing that looks like a gem is a Horcrux. In the last or maybe second-to-last movie, the kids seek out the eight horcruxes to destroy them. Each has a piece of Voldermort. Yes, that pic is from inside the yurt.
  • hope4change_val
    Hi Jan, I only first heard of yurts pretty recently....i think it was a House Hunters for tiny houses (Netflix). I made it to DC!!! Appalachans were beautiful but a bear to drive over. I beat the storm that hit Columbus this morning! But got drenched after i arrived in DC. Now im a bit nervous to meet everyone at the office tomorrow. But I really do have to show up.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking 6700 steps and no money. Tomorrow I will most likely stop at the Grocery Store while walking for Bananas and maybe a head of lettuce. Then a little later on to CostCo.
    Once again it was 76 degrees when I left the house at 6:25 and feeling a little warm on the return to the house leg.

Yesterday Other parts of the state had some storm damage from winds, some near us. As usual it seemed to avoid our town :)

In the afternoon we had a period where we could hear Thunder in the distance and the skies opened up for a period and then it was done and the street was dry by 7PM. It came down so hard it overwhelmed the gutters running off of the roof.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    5mates wrote: »
    Hi everybody - I was just reading to catch up. Val sounds like she is having a lot of fun as a road warrior. Val - sorry that I am late to the party but how's the ankle? Roger - I was intrigued about the stuffed chocolate pie and received my order late last week. I was a little disappointed that the crust is so thick but this was my first exploration of any of the frozen pies. The stuffing is pretty darn good anyway! Thanks for the heads up on the Costco NS cards. Happy rest of your Monday all!
    Bev

Hi Bev
    I have been trying to decide how many of the CostCo NS Gift cards to order as I have 8 or 9 left and have delayed my next order as I am still overstocked from previous A La Carte orders and what I added that way to this order :)

I think I mentioned that it has the same crust as the apple pie? I liked the old crust but I have a suspicion that there is a reason for the new crust. One to change the Nutrition or maybe a change of vendor and the old crust was proprietary come to mind off of the top of my head.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Hi Bev. Jan is the one with the hurt ankle. I'm the hurt hip...which has been very manageable! Even after i walked four miles at the zoo, it was only a little sore. I brought my TENS unit with just in case. Hugs, Val

Hi Val
    That sounds like a smart move, You never really need something until You do not have it handy :)

Good Job walking 4 miles too.
    h6ypbo9dryad.jpg
    Hi Roger, Em has two necklaces on...the big thing that looks like a gem is a Horcrux. In the last or maybe second-to-last movie, the kids seek out the eight horcruxes to destroy them. Each has a piece of Voldermort. Yes, that pic is from inside the yurt.

I have heard of the Horcrux, Mom liked the harry Potter movies and Books. I used to pre-order from Amazon for her.

FWIW despite liking the Author, J. K. Rowling, She did not like the other book I tried called the Casual Vacancy. Oh well it was only money and Mothers should be given treats.
    Hi Jan, I only first heard of yurts pretty recently....i think it was a House Hunters for tiny houses (Netflix). I made it to DC!!! Appalachans were beautiful but a bear to drive over. I beat the storm that hit Columbus this morning! But got drenched after i arrived in DC. Now im a bit nervous to meet everyone at the office tomorrow. But I really do have to show up.

I remembered Yurts from reading history books. From the Internet
    "Original Mongolian Yurts. Yurts have been a distinctive feature of life in Central Asia for at least three thousand years. The first written description of a yurt used as a dwelling was recorded by Herodotus of Halicarnassus, who lived in Greece between 484 and 424 BC."

Then much more recently on the TV show "How Its Made" on the Discovery Science - Science Channel.

It was good that You beat the weather, It is no fun driving in the rain.

Good Luck at Work
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I got out and mowed the lawn I am now up to 8700 steps for the day.

In the sad news area, a second member of the Browns had passed on. From here
    http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Bonnie-Brown-singer-in-family-s-popular-8382482.php
    Bonnie Brown, singer in family’s popular country trio, dies
    Associated Press Published 4:41 pm, Saturday, July 16, 2016

Some of their hits
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkbj56bnYs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSGxXY3xeQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9TIMiLehw

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member

Hi Val! Glad you are safe! Yes, that is some driving!! You will be fine at the office! I am so glad you get to actually meet these people. No way they will not be impressed by you!! Jan <3
  • hope4change_val
    I had a good first day. Funny moment: my boss was introducing me to two upper managers that have not previously worked with me, and three others that have worked with me were present. So, the boss tells them, "I'll make it easy on you: Val's always right, just do what she tells you to do!" I gave a sheepish grin, and was about to speak when all three others simultaneously started chiming in about when Val told me i did something wrong -- or Val sends me bulleted lists of all the things i do wrong...they were all talking over each other with their stories and my boss was right there chiming in with her stories. (The tone was loving.) The two new people were just looking at me in dismay. Then there was silence. I piped up and said, "Um, well, yes, ive done all that they said, but im really a nice person and i only want to help." At which point the boss and those three all totally agreed and shared a bunch of stories how i saved their behinds, and how they wouldnt know what to do without me. The two new ones chuckled and said they were impressed that someone who blatently tells everyone their wrong is so well loved and appreciated. I smiled. They added they didnt know whether they should look forward to hearing from me. And everyone continued in singing my praises. It was a funny scene.
  • Buttons61
    I had a good first day. Funny moment: my boss was introducing me to two upper managers that have not previously worked with me, and three others that have worked with me were present. So, the boss tells them, "I'll make it easy on you: Val's always right, just do what she tells you to do!" I gave a sheepish grin, and was about to speak when all three others simultaneously started chiming in about when Val told me i did something wrong -- or Val sends me bulleted lists of all the things i do wrong...they were all talking over each other with their stories and my boss was right there chiming in with her stories. (The tone was loving.) The two new people were just looking at me in dismay. Then there was silence. I piped up and said, "Um, well, yes, ive done all that they said, but im really a nice person and i only want to help." At which point the boss and those three all totally agreed and shared a bunch of stories how i saved their behinds, and how they wouldnt know what to do without me. The two new ones chuckled and said they were impressed that someone who blatently tells everyone their wrong is so well loved and appreciated. I smiled. They added they didnt know whether they should look forward to hearing from me. And everyone continued in singing my praises. It was a funny scene.

Oh I am just tickled pink!!! I knew it would be good! I am so glad these people appreciated out loud what their feelings were. It makes all the difference in the world, especially at a job as hard and stressful as yours, and with your workload! The stories crack me up! I have worked with people like that, and it brought back some good memories! You will always have that!! And I dare say, not many would have made the trip that you did!! I am soooo proud of you!!! Be safe, eat well, and if you do not eat well, eat healthy, lol!! Jan <3 If you get by Alabama, you are always welcome!
  • hope4change_val
    Thanks Jan. It was a good day. I also walked around the hallways and if i recognized the name and the person was there i stopped in to say HI. Had some nice conversations. In one case it helped me understand and appreciate someone much better. Previously, id felt frustrated with this person because she never followed through with requests. Her desk was piled high...and she was diligently working. She was very kind and welcoming...and that re-set my perception of her in a good way.
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2016
    Hi
    I ended up with 11K+ steps yesterday between walking, Mowing and then Grocery store & more.
    Today I am at 5K steps with more to come when I run out to CostCo in a little while when they open. So far I have picked up Bananas and Apples and a Orange the Local Grocery Store on my walk. Apples were $0.79 a pound, The Bananas $0.49 a pound and the Orange was $0.40 then that was reduced by the 10% Wednesday Senior Discount :)

Today is the pick of the litter for upcoming days. It was in the 60s this morning when I headed out the door, The rest of the long range forecast has overnight lows in the 70s and Saturday they are forecasting 95 to 97 for a high depending on which forecast You believe :)

CostCo might or might not be cheaper for Bananas however their size pack of them would be too big at this time of year and they would go over ripe even refrigerated. The Apples were $1.70 after the discount for four of them. I do not think Costco's price would be better.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I had a good first day. Funny moment: my boss was introducing me to two upper managers that have not previously worked with me, and three others that have worked with me were present. So, the boss tells them, "I'll make it easy on you: Val's always right, just do what she tells you to do!" I gave a sheepish grin, and was about to speak when all three others simultaneously started chiming in about when Val told me i did something wrong -- or Val sends me bulleted lists of all the things i do wrong...they were all talking over each other with their stories and my boss was right there chiming in with her stories. (The tone was loving.) The two new people were just looking at me in dismay. Then there was silence. I piped up and said, "Um, well, yes, ive done all that they said, but im really a nice person and i only want to help." At which point the boss and those three all totally agreed and shared a bunch of stories how i saved their behinds, and how they wouldn't know what to do without me. The two new ones chuckled and said they were impressed that someone who blatantly tells everyone their wrong is so well loved and appreciated. I smiled. They added they didn't know whether they should look forward to hearing from me. And everyone continued in singing my praises. It was a funny scene.

Hi Val
    That is a great story, It must have made You feel good. You sound like Someone that any company would be proud to employ.
    Thanks Jan. It was a good day. I also walked around the hallways and if i recognized the name and the person was there i stopped in to say HI. Had some nice conversations. In one case it helped me understand and appreciate someone much better. Previously, id felt frustrated with this person because she never followed through with requests. Her desk was piled high...and she was diligently working. She was very kind and welcoming...and that re-set my perception of her in a good way.

Hi Again
    Sometimes You can just get swamped and when that happens things get overlooked :)

It appears Your worries were for nothing.

It sounds as if You are enjoying Your time there.

So far my only interaction for the day beyond my brother was talking for a while with the Young lady, Well Younger than me, Who runs the register at the dollar store while she was sitting outside enjoying the weather and waiting for the boss to open up.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Buttons61 wrote: »

Oh I am just tickled pink!!! I knew it would be good! I am so glad these people appreciated out loud what their feelings were. It makes all the difference in the world, especially at a job as hard and stressful as yours, and with your workload! The stories crack me up! I have worked with people like that, and it brought back some good memories! You will always have that!! And I dare say, not many would have made the trip that you did!! I am soooo proud of you!!! Be safe, eat well, and if you do not eat well, eat healthy, lol!! Jan <3 If you get by Alabama, you are always welcome!

Hi Jan
    A reminder, do not forget to stock while CostCo has the NS $100 gift cards on sale for $59.99

I was lucky to work with great people when I was working too. I only had one Dud boss. He seemed to think screaming or yelling and putting people down was the way to get results. No chance of getting him replaced either as he was the owner of the small chain of stores.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reminder of the gift cards. What I would not give for a 60 degree evening! I can't believe you all are so hot for the daytime! We are into a stretch of 98-99 degree and 70% humidity. Just yucky, unless you are wet, by hose or pool, not sweat!!

I really appreciate you finding the video of the Browns. I knew I knew them, but did not place them till I heard the songs. We had all of those, and I just loved hearing them again!

I have not talked to hardly anyone in a week, so I know what you mean! It will be good to get to church tonite, even if I hobble and wear flip flops.

Bosses sure can make or break you working, that is certain! Good job on the steps and wt. loss during maintenance, lol!
  • hope4change_val
    Well, i came to work early...but i cant get in. Im hoping the elevators unlock at 7, but might have to wait till 7:30...i have a ton if work to do, so rather frustrated. In the future, i'll work at the hotel and then come over when the building officialky opens. I'm tired and missing home.
  • hope4change_val
    7am worked...the elevators unlocked then! I'm in! Hope you all have a super day.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 69 degrees out the door with 93% Humidity this morning + 6100 steps. Despite the humidity it was not too bad walking, out the door at 6:25 with a slight breeze that sadly went away :(

I walked past the Wild Berry patch looking for Raspberries, Not much luck this year the few that are there are small and Bitter this year, Last year the were delicious. I am lucky to be getting a few from the newly planted in the back yard Raspberries. Not super huge but tasty and since this is the first year nice to get. Yesterday I 7 or 8 from there to go with the others I have had from the plants recently. It seems they like the soil as some of the are really tall. They started out short and the tallest is now over 6 feet tall :) I think I got lucky with the one that some critter broke over. I Planted a stake and tied it up and so far it seems to be doing OK.

I had about 60% of my daily Banana before I left for the walk, Right now I am drinking my Strawberries & Cream Protein Premier Protein Shake Bought at CostCo on a previous trip, 30g Protein, 160 Calories and 5g carbs. Yesterday I had a NS Vanilla Protein Shakes with a really ripe Banana blended in as a My Mid-morning PF + SC Snack. Later on around 9:30 I plan on having the balance of my Banana in my Breakfast Cereal. In case anyone is interested that will be Multi Grain Cheerios with Sweetener 110 Calories and 50 Calories of Dollar Store 1% milk :)

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reminder of the gift cards. What I would not give for a 60 degree evening! I can't believe you all are so hot for the daytime! We are into a stretch of 98-99 degree and 70% humidity. Just yucky, unless you are wet, by hose or pool, not sweat!!

I really appreciate you finding the video of the Browns. I knew I knew them, but did not place them till I heard the songs. We had all of those, and I just loved hearing them again!

I have not talked to hardly anyone in a week, so I know what you mean! It will be good to get to church tonite, even if I hobble and wear flip flops.

Bosses sure can make or break you working, that is certain! Good job on the steps and wt. loss during maintenance, lol!

Hi Jan
    Starting tonight the overnight lows are back into the 70s and the humidity is already high :( The forecast I saw showed a high of 90 today in the infamous city of Newark NJ, Not to be confused with Newark Delaware :) Then higher Friday and even Higher for Saturday as we start into the next official heat wave.

No Problem, what are friends for if not to remind us of things. Speaking of the Browns I also remembered them from when I was Younger :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Well, i came to work early...but i cant get in. Im hoping the elevators unlock at 7, but might have to wait till 7:30...i have a ton if work to do, so rather frustrated. In the future, i'll work at the hotel and then come over when the building officialky opens. I'm tired and missing home.
    7am worked...the elevators unlocked then! I'm in! Hope you all have a super day.

Hi Val
    Just curious, how early was early? No stairs You could go up to work on?

Today as I post this I am listening to the Free Design singing "Kites Are Fun" :)

When I went on Vacation I used to miss home after a few days too.

Have a :) Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61

Hi Val!

Sounds like you lost your adrenaline once you hit work, LOL! Especially because you had been worried about it! I am read to hit home around my fourth day gone, Five seems too much!! Glad you got into work though! Take time to stop and smell the roses these next few days! We do enjoy hearing about your travels! Jan <3
  • Buttons61
    edited July 2016
    Hi Roger,

All your talk about strawberry shakes with bananas has me wanting one. I will have to remedy that when I go out. I finished my first round of watering.I am waiting for the Yard brothers to show up. I bought some nice watermelon, bananas, and grapes yesterday. Can't wait to get into them!

Heat waves seem to be the byword lately. My stepmother in S.C. is on about the 8th day of over 100 degrees. No thanks!

Your raspberries are doing well for the first year. My blueberry bush had nothing this year. A cold spell damaged the blossoms. :/ Feast or famine sometimes. My soil grew really tasty peaches, but I have not replaced the trees. They finally petered out at about 24 years, but I hear that was good, so I did not have a brown thumb!!

Keep up the steps. I need to be more active mindfully since putting up the foot for 1 1/2 weeks. Strange how muscles deteriorate faster than build!

Have a good Friday!! Jan B)
  • hope4change_val
    You need a building pass to get into the stairwell or to make the elevator move. My pass only gets me in once the building officially opens at 7. I really earned my keep today...caught some significant issues in some information i was given. Em looks happy in the camp pictures. She and that girl she met at check-in are super friends...always together in pics.
  • hope4change_val
    I woke w a sore throat; drinking juice to boost vit C. Lots of work to do...in a short time. Hope everyone has a super day!