Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,327 Member
    I got out to the Indian grocery, a pleasant enough 15 minute drive there, with 15 minutes back. It wasn't raining when I left, but started sprinkling on the way home. But at home I got into the house without noticing any drops, so it was a good trip overall.

It is now pouring down out there. I think I dodged the rain VERY nicely.

I bought a few things there and we may be having Indian food for Sunday dinner.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, vix i am sorry did i miss something what operation ?
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Hi all.
    Irene, I'm getting my hip replaced. It's gotten pretty bad from arthritis and a bone spur. I've put it off for a few years, but it's time. I hope you're doing well.
    Ed, I like Indian food. Don't have it very often, hubby's not a fan. Lots of yummy spices.
    Our children came over this a.m. I made some gluten free brownies to celebrate my son's birthday. It's so great to spend time with them. We've all had at least our first vaccination now, except for our grandson, so soon we'll be able to get together a little easier. We still mask up and keep a distance.
    It's been raining on and off all morning, currently 61 and continuing cloudiness with a high of 65 expected.
    I will probably do some laundry this afternoon.
    I have my 2nd jab tomorrow.
    Wishing everyone a happy Sunday. :)
  • parityanimal
    I did make Indian food for dinner!

We shared an aloo tikki wrap, baked from the freezer, and I used some spice mix packets I bought, with a little extra Indian red ground chili, to make malai kofta and shahi paneer. The kofta balls were frozen too, and just heated and added to the gravy.

It was all delicious, meat free eating. Plenty of protein from the paneer.

ke6xzpogxa5l.png

aknn8bqfuzp5.png
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

38 chilly degrees out there now, but the sun is shining and we are expecting it to shine all day, with an expected high of 65.

I have given Lilo her Monday morning fluid treatment. At some point today I should get the clean laundry out of the dryer, folded, and put away.

J's lunch is plated is the rest of the Indian food, except for some of the basmati rice, and ready to warm up, but I haven't quite figured what mine will be yet. I may do something with the separate, small bowl of leftover basmati rice, though that would probably be too many carbs. Maybe I could open a can of tuna and do something with ginger and soy sauce...or Eduardo may come up with an exciting lunch idea. We will see.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, the Indian food looks yummy. We had grilled chicken last night.
    I have a book to pick up at the library, my 2nd jab, and a drive to do today.
    It will be mostly cloudy, currently 41 with a high of 55 expected, cooler than it's been.
    Another new week, have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2021
    It's funny, Vix, that you should mention that your husband isn't a fan of Indian food. When J and I first met, Taco Bell seemed to be the main vegetarian food of choice. To be fair, at that time J would still eat bacon, McDonald's Big Macs (or cheeseburgers) and barbecue flavored Vienna sausages, and maybe chili with ground beef in it. But the vegetarianism was clearly on the way.

I could see that certain food horizons needed to be expanded, at least a little bit. As I had become fond of lots of international cuisine through my travels to DC when working for the government, I was determined to introduce J to some of the exotic Asian foods, as there are much more interesting vegetarian choices than Taco Bell!

Chinese was first, and we had to deal with some restaurants that seemed to think that shrimp and fish sauce were vegetarian. Despite a few fails, and some restaurants whose doors would never again be darkened by us, Chinese became an occasional option.

It took me months to add Thai food to the shared menu. There was one particular restaurant that we passed often, with a big sign advertising VEGETARIAN food. I kept pointing it out, and J kept resisting, until finally, one day, I guess J was hungry enough to, tentatively, try it.

I selected a couple of dishes I thought would be agreeable and they were. Thai was an instant favorite, and most Thai restaurants understand about shrimp and fish sauce, though some do still want to use oyster sauce, which can be a problem. Still, most have a good understanding.

Vietnamese was next, with the usual caveats regarding sauces.

Indian food was even harder than Thai, as far as getting it on the menu. I flat could not get J to set foot in an Indian restaurant. I knew that there were plenty of vegetarian options, and had eaten plenty of Indian food myself, and finally had to go to an Indian grocery to push some Indian food out there. I bought some frozen appetizers and meals, and we had a couple of Indian dinners at home. It was almost the standard childhood choice of, eat it or go hungry, but of course if J had really disliked it I would have made something else to eat. J was willing to at least try it, with it right there on the table, and liked it well enough that I could get us into an Indian restaurant after that.

Later we expanded to Malaysian, and Burmese, and Pakistani food, and we now have many options besides Taco Bell, and don't actually eat at Taco Bell any more at all, though we do have a nice Mexican restaurant that is a favorite. We may even visit them once all the pandemic restrictions are off, though that Mexican place does give WAY too much food. It will have to be a once in a while treat, as Mexican food doesn't always reheat all that appetizingly.

Middle eastern food is sometimes on the table, but J has to be in the mood for it. While I know there are a few Ethiopian dishes J would like, I don't think we'll ever be going to an Ethiopian restaurant. The same with Caribbean and most of African cuisine, though there have been some South African curry sauces, that I was able to get, packaged, that J liked well enough.

At any rate, I feel like we have enough variety and choices.

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 49 partly cloudy degrees now, with an expected high of 69 under partly sunny skies. I finished off the last of the bread in the house for breakfast and may pop out to Kroger for more bread this morning.

I might try one of the Dave's thin sliced seeded or sprouted breads this time. I have been trying to find a heartier tasting bread than the reduced carb, high fiber, whole grain bread that I had been buying, but still want good carbs and not too many of them. When I want light bread, sourdough fits the bill. We will see what I can find if I go out today. The Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread was pretty tasty, and may become my go to hearty bread, after trying at least one or two more.

I have given Lilo her Tuesday shot and subsequent treats. All of the laundry got folded and put away yesterday, with a lot of help from Dinah.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, I love Thai food...and I like Indian and Chinese food. I haven't tried too many of the other Asian foods. Japanese was ok. A lot of the ingredients are only at specialty stores, and truthfully, I'm kind of lazy about cooking. Ezekiel bread is touted by a lot of the health food sites. I rarely have bread. We only keep gluten free in the house. The O'Dough's brand is pretty tasty, and they make little thin bagels that are only 100 calories, if I really want some bread.
    My arm is pretty sore and there's a bit of a lump today from the vaccine yesterday, but no new bruise. Glad that's done.
    It's currently 48 and sunny with a high of 68 expected, warm again for today. It was nice sitting out in the sun for a little while yesterday.
    No special plans.
    Have a good Tuesday, everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, vix i though you mention at one time you needed a hip replacement hoping every thing goes good for you
  • eku0
    Thanks, Irene...I hope so too! I've tried really hard to avoid surgery, but that's the way it goes.
  • parityanimal
    As it was expected to be a cool evening, I had beef stew cooking all day in a crockpot.

So, dinner was easy! Breakfast may be more of the same.

qvypuqzc5hj3.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

It's 63 cloudy degrees out there now, with a rainy high of 68 expected. And back down into the 30s tonight! Spring needs to make up its mind to stay.

Maybe I should have waited to make the stew until today!

Speaking of stew, that was breakfast, and there is one bowl left for either lunch of supper today.
    Not a lot on the agenda today, otherwise. Here's a rhododendron bloom, as they have started to open now.

65amcrk2jx60.png

• eku0
    3acah6in0m8i.png
    Good morning.
    Hyacinths and daffodils blooming!
    The side effects from the 2nd vaccine hit yesterday...all my normal aches were intensified, my arm was really painful, and my upper back felt like I had been beaten up. It's subsiding quite well today. My arm will probably hurt for a while.
    It's currently 60 and cloudy with a high of 64 later and probable rain.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

It's 38 sunny, chilly degrees out there now with an expected sunny high of only 51. I may go out for some groceries today, or may order delivery. I will think about that...

Not a lot else on the agenda.

For dinner last night Eduardo made teriyaki pork for me, and spicy Punjabi style lentil stew for J.

yf9yplco1lhg.png

wvmp5tnpgdx7.png

• eku0
    Good morning.
    As always, Ed, those meals look delish. I intensified my diet a bit yesterday, will see if I can keep it up for about a week for a little weight loss boost. Protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, veggies and a protein for dinner.
    I will stop by the library today to pick up/drop off some books, and there's a mindfulness meditation zoom this afternoon. Along with regular chores, that will keep me somewhat busy.
    It's currently 38 and cloudy, was raining earlier, with a high of 46 expected. Cooler for a few days, then warming up again on Sunday.
    Time seems to be flying by.
    Happy Thursday, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    ycf1equtrsd5.png
  • eku0
    I am wearing green. No black eye peas though. Every year our county has a "Peep Show", where artists make things out of Peeps.
  • parityanimal
    eku0 wrote: »
    I am wearing green. No black eye peas though. Every year our county has a "Peep Show", where artists make things out of Peeps.

I love that kind of Peep show. I can usually find a lot of pictures on the internet around Easter time.
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic frigid Friday!

It's 31 clear degrees out there (feels like 25) with a sunny high of 57 expected this afternoon.

There is nothing critical on the agenda other than Lilo's Friday evening fluid treatment. But I may get out for groceries, or order grocery delivery, since we are in a new month and I got paid. I even remembered to change the AC filters yesterday!