Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, looks like every one had a nice Christmas take care
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Good morning.
    It's currently 39F and cloudy. High 52F. Winds light and variable.
    Our son-in-law tested positive for covid yesterday on a 2nd rapid test. He was told they're not giving people the PCR because the labs are so backed up. He's been fully vaccinated and had the booster, so his symptoms should stay mild (some congestion and fatigue). I hope the rest of the family remains healthy.
    Maybe the Omicron will infect enough people with a mild version that we'll get closer to herd immunity.
    I hope this is the last surge.
    I made a big pot of lentil soup yesterday which should last most of the week. I like having soup for lunch when it's cold out.
    Nothing special planned for today. I'll probably go to the library later to exchange some books.
    It's the last Tuesday of 2022. Be careful out there. 😷
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,327 Member
    edited December 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Good to hear from you Irene.

We currently have 19 (66 F) cloudy degrees and an expected high of 21 (71 F) under cloudy skies and 93% chance of precipitation for the day. It looks rather murky out there now.

Nothing critical on the home agenda for today.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    Good morning.
    The last Wednesday of 2021. Guess I was looking too far ahead yesterday! Haha.
    It's currently 46F, cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 58F. Winds light and variable.
    Will see what today brings. Will probably do some cleaning. Need to get a present for a friend.
    Have a good day, everyone, stay safe. 😷🐪
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! We currently have 17 degrees and rain. We had some rather loud thunder earlier, but it's quiet for the moment.

Our expected stormy high is 20 and there is 100% chance of precipitation.

Nothing critical on the work or home agenda. Today is my last work day this week as we are (unusually) being given the first holiday from next year, this year, celebrating the New Year holiday tomorrow.

I think I will cook the black eyed peas for New Year in my Instant Pot, as I have not used the pressure cooking function yet. Yesterday I made slow cooked chili in the Instant Pot and it came out great. That used the sauté feature and the slow cook feature. I know I got the Instant Pot some time ago, but have been slow at testing all the functions. I made the hot water test when I first got it, and that was it until yesterday.

Time for work!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• IreneMurman
    good morning, I need to go to the store and pick up a couple f items dog treats are getting low so i will get Sammie some new treats she is so picky have a great day
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Irene, sounds like Sammie has you well trained! ;) Glad you're checking in again, and hope that all is going well.
    Ed, glad you're getting a nice long weekend. The instant pot is usually pretty good. We use ours a lot.
    Hi Jo, hope you're enjoying your time off!
    Happy Holidays to Jan and Val.
    It's currently 47F here, areas of patchy fog early. Cloudy with occasional light rain...mainly in the morning. High 53F. Winds light and variable.
    I'm going to stop by a friend's house today and drop off her birthday gift. Her birthday is NYE, and she and I try to make our December birthdays special, as they often get lost in the holidays. I'm waiting til the rain stops so we can be outside.
    Happy Thursday before New Year's everyone! 😷🥂

• parityanimal
    edited December 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous foggy Friday! We currently have 14 (57 F) foggy degrees with a dense fog warning. We are expecting a cloudy high of 21 (69 F) with 64 % chance of precipitation that could include some thundershowers.

I might get out to a grocery today, and to buy cat food and litter for January.

• IreneMurman
    good morning, just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Years!
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good morning;
    I have been busy puttering around the house doing odd and ends that never seem to get done.
    We painted the bedroom, a light gray.
    Vix-I hope your son-in-law feels better soon. Does the rest of your family have to get tested again?
    Ed-Sophie brings me presents every once in a while. She usually brings them in from the backyard.
    Hi Irene-Sammie must be getting so big.
    I want to wish everyone a Happy and healthy New Year! <3
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Foggy here this morning too, Ed.
    Hi Irene!
    Jo, it always feels nice when a room is freshly painted. Thanks, my son-in-law is feeling better, and yes, the family will be tested again, to go back to work, and to go back to daycare.
    Since hubby and I are symptom free and fully vaccinated, we are wearing our masks as usual when we go anywhere.
    I met up with a friend yesterday. We both wore masks and stayed outside, went for a walk, had a nice catchup.
    It's currently 49F, cloudy skies. Areas of patchy fog. High 57F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
    c850v0ag6p8s.png
  • parityanimal
    Well, I have the ham for the next big holiday, probably Easter.

At Lidl these were marked down (discount taken at register) to $0.49/lb. So this almost 9 pound ham, after the discount, cost me all of $4.38, plus a few cents in tax.

The ham has been placed in the deep freezer out in the garage, pending a desire for a nice ham.

wm554sasalht.png
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2022
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! I went to bed about 10:00 last night, but the neighborhood fireworks woke me at midnight. Luckily it was not too terrible and I was able to easily get back to sleep.

I need to get the greens going around noon, and will wait on the black eyed peas until nearly dinner time, as I plan to instant pot them and that should only take 30 to 45 minutes total, including warm up.

We currently have 21 (69 F) mostly cloudy degrees with an expected mostly cloudy high of 23 (73 F) and 18% chance of rain.

5ka5e2w5wm9h.jpg

• IreneMurman
    Happy New Year! Jo Sammie is at 50 pounds and i believe she is done growing. She is really a nice pup .take care
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    It's currently 56F, a steady rain this morning. Showers continuing this afternoon. Near record high temperatures. High 59F. Winds light and variable.
    sxon8m8e311t.png
  • parityanimal
    Kiara just HAD to take a sniff of my New Year's dinner, but quickly decided it smelled too spicy for her. She also is well aware that cats are not allowed on the table when I have a plate of food, but I allowed her the one sniff this time, because I knew she would not actually want it after sniffing.
    Knowing that there would be no ham bone this year, I had cleverly purchased a much larger chunk of jowl bacon than usual for my New Year's food.

My collard greens were, as usual, slow cooked all afternoon, from 12 to 6, with plenty of trimmed, diced up jowl bacon, reserving half the jowl bacon for the black eyed peas.

I did not have a ham bone from Christmas, because I had kept back a couple of pounds of sliced Starne's barbecued ham in the freezer for Christmas.

So I did not need my largest slow cooker to make the black eyed peas, with no ham bone taking up so much room. And I didn't need to make a whole, one pound bag of the black eyed peas.

So I soaked half a bag of dried black eyed peas for 24 hours, in salted water. At 5:00 in the evening I started preparation for my FIRST EVER time pressure cooking food myself.

Since the beans were well soaked, I put the rinsed beans, and some seasoning, along with the rest of the jowl bacon, and a couple of cups of water, into my Instant Pot and set it to BEANS, adjusting the time to only 15 minutes.

It did, of course, take a while to come up to pressure, but then cooked the beans at the high pressure setting for the required 15 minutes. I let them sit in the Instant Pot, without releasing, while I toasted up a couple of corn bread muffin tops in the convection air fryer oven.

After releasing the pressure, and removing the lid, I found that I had made, quite possibly, the best batch of black eyed peas I have ever cooked.

The greens were also some of the best I have made.

Yes, I was a bit lazy this year and didn't, for once, make my own cornbread. I had planned to, but saw the cornbread muffin tops at Publix and decided they would be fine. And they were!

I have leftovers of everything for a couple more meals too.

7rkvc48ga0pm.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous soggy Sunday! We have 17 (62 F) rainy degrees with an expected rainy high of that same 17 (though 63 F) with rain chance of 100%.

All the same, I have to get out to PetSmart today to get Orion's prescription refilled, and then buy his food for January. I had just enough canned food to get him through this morning's feeding later, and not a lot of his kibble. But the Banfield hospital was closed for both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I had planned to get that on New Year's Eve but was unable.

I have some house cleaning I should get to as well, and it may be a good day for that.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, I don't think I've ever cooked black eyed peas, although I know it's a New Year's must have in the south. Maybe this year. I'm thinking about putting more beans/legumes/pulses in my diet once I figure out what they are! Haha. I sort of know, but not sure which is which and why there are different categories, and would like to find some more interesting recipes.
    Irene, glad you're enjoying Sammie, 50 pounds seems like a good size for a pup.
    Jo, I hope you're getting a chance to relax and enjoy some of your time off.
    My daughter and grandson also tested positive NYE, but the symptoms are mild, so, good that it's mild, sad that the isolation continues for another while. Glad all the adults in our family were vaccinated and boosted, and that the children are not getting severe symptoms. MD is having a huge surge in cases, even though 70percent are fully vaccinated, 30percent ( about 2 million) are only partially or not vaccinated, the hospitals are being overwhelmed.
    It rained all day yesterday. It's currently 56F, showers early, then cloudy in the afternoon. High 61F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.
    Keeping busy doing little things around the house.
    Wishing everyone a relaxing Sunday. :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! We have a chilly, cloudy 1 (34 F) degree out there with a wind advisory. With the wind it feels like -5 (23 F) degrees. Our expected high is 7 (44 F) with wind all day, under mostly sunny skies, and a 2% chance of precipitation.

I ended up being out more than intended yesterday, as I found a flat tire on my van. I got enough air into it to drive to a nearby tire shop, only to find that none of the mechanics had come in! Fortunately the manager gave me directions to another one of their shops, about 5 miles up the road, where he had already sent another customer. At that shop, several mechanics had come in and $203.29 dollars (and 1.25 hours) later I drove away with two new tires and finally got to PetSmart to buy Orion's food.

Last night I finished off my New Year's food. J came home about 9, with news of possible exposure to an aunt who, though sick, had not known she had Covid. So we broke out the spare Covid home test kit, keeping our distance, and it came out negative. Retest tonight, but we think it's all clear.

At about 2:20 this morning our power went out, and stayed out until about 6:15. It was quite chilly in the house when I got up, but my tea, steel cut oatmeal with blueberries and cream, an egg, and sausage all warmed me up nicely and of course by then the heater was warming up the air.

Well, I guess it's back to work this morning. One could get used to these long weekends.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, sorry about J's exposure. You're actually supposed to wait about 5 days before testing. Hopefully it will still be negative.
    Wow, 2 new tires, but that is relatively inexpensive, and they should last a good long time.
    Glad your power is back. We had a blip yesterday, but luckily it went right back on, just had to fix the clocks.
    We've got a little snow here, but sidewalks, driveways, and roads seem to be clear. It's currently 28F,
    snow this morning will give way to lingering snow showers this afternoon. Temps nearly steady around 30. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. About one inch of snow expected. I hope those north of me don't get too much snow either.
    Got some WD40 out this a.m. to stop some squeaky doors, and need to sweep floors, maybe look up some recipes today. Slow, easy day.
    Another new week. Don't work too hard. Stay safe and healthy. 😷