Goals for Summer

Options

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I raised the bar this past week and added another riding workout and 5 more miles to my weekly goal.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    marekdds wrote: »
    Not my favorite time either. Kids are mean, teachers treat you like a two year old. Much preferred college. Nikki, I thought I was huge in high school also. I was about 25 lbs over what the other girls were, but not as fat as I thought. I did indeed then get fat. Now I weigh less than I did in high school. YAY!

Yay!!!! That was my exact experience. I wasn't fat, just not 100 pounds. I was (am still) tall and have a larger frame. But I always felt bad when these little girls would get at me. I soooo wanted to be cute and little and petite and be able to wear Juniors clothes. I wasn't glad to be tall and have a physical presence until years later. One of my old college roomies is 4'11". And she has had a hell of a time over the years being taken seriously at work because she is shorter than many middle schoolers (she is a teacher). I, on the other hand, only just had to stand up from behind my desk in the office and nonsense came to a complete halt. Also I can see well at the movies and parades no matter where I sit or stand. But it still irks me that boys always fell over cute and little while tall and charming just stood there like a wallflower. Luckily, boys grow up, too, and that got better as well!

I'm tall too and in HS, I looked like a boy. It didn't help that my mom bought my jeans at a boy's clothing store bc my legs are so long. Then I turned 16 and started to blossom and my family got really worried. Their messages were pretty negative.

I'm number 8 out of 9 children and beat them all to the punch by earning a doctorate. There's not much negativity going on anymore. Lol. Except a few remarks that I am getting too thin. If it's not one thing, it's something else. The best revenge is living well and that's exactly what I intend to do.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

I'm tall too and in HS, I looked like a boy. It didn't help that my mom bought my jeans at a boy's clothing store bc my legs are so long. Then I turned 16 and started to blossom and my family got really worried. Their messages were pretty negative.

I'm number 8 out of 9 children and beat them all to the punch by earning a doctorate. There's not much negativity going on anymore. Lol. Except a few remarks that I am getting too thin. If it's not one thing, it's something else. The best revenge is living well and that's exactly what I intend to do.
    [/quote]

Well said
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    It's interesting reading the height stories. I'm only 5'7" so I don't consider myself tall or short. I always wanted to be a couple of inches taller but was never unhappy about my height really.

Our youngest daughter is 6 foot tall.............yikes. Luckily she didn't really grow until high school but then had a few issues buying clothes, especially pants, that were long enough. She didn't really appreciate being that tall but I kept encouraging her because I thought she was so lucky and she finally believed me.

Her fiance is 6'5" and they are a commanding presence in any room. She's a geologist in the oil industry and manages a team of other geologists, physicists and engineers and her height has really helped her in that environment. She's also smart as a whip which doesn't hurt.....LOL
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Summer is the best time of year, even with the threat of hurricanes and other weather weirdness.
    My goal is to get back to the gym starting four days from now.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    My goal this summer is to stay focused on my health and fitness. We are very busy here right now with lots of stress and in the past I would let that derail my good habits. Not anymore!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,963 Member
    Options
    So many goals... I have many things I want to get done at the house... while maintaining the course for my diet and exercise regimes...
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    So many goals here, too. My living situation is about to change which should actually help. Moving in with my sister and her Max Trainer, which doesn't get used enough according to her husband. Ha. Anyway, when I do move in in early June we are going to get back on our "two sisters together" diet and exercise plan which was abandoned several months ago for various life intrusive reasons. I am still resisting eating myself into a coma, which is good, but more can be done. With some serious diligence and considerable prayer, I believe I can make goal some time before Halloween which is only a year or so behind schedule. But the main thing is to get there even if I took a scenic and very long detour.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    So many goals here, too. My living situation is about to change which should actually help. Moving in with my sister and her Max Trainer, which doesn't get used enough according to her husband. Ha. Anyway, when I do move in in early June we are going to get back on our "two sisters together" diet and exercise plan which was abandoned several months ago for various life intrusive reasons. I am still resisting eating myself into a coma, which is good, but more can be done. With some serious diligence and considerable prayer, I believe I can make goal some time before Halloween which is only a year or so behind schedule. But the main thing is to get there even if I took a scenic and very long detour.

Sounds like a great plan. Best wishes with your move. :)
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This summer I will "WIN" a T-shirt at the Saunders at Rye Harbor 10k. In this race you do not get a t-shirt with registration - you have to win it. For 2016 in my division (Mens Seniors) there will only be 34 T-shirts awarded. I didn't win one last year :/
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @djscavone ...I think I will try to "win" a t-shirt with registration....I have never even looked into a 5K. Maybe it will be time this summer?
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Biggest goal I have for this summer is averaging 4 workouts a week in the pool. Hopefully by the end of August getting up around 4000 yards for a workout.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Biggest goal I have for this summer is averaging 4 workouts a week in the pool. Hopefully by the end of August getting up around 4000 yards for a workout.

That's a whole lotta swimming!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options

That's triathlon yardage! Two and 1/4 miles. Are you planning to add in the bike and run for good measure?
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Nah...my hips/knees don't like running. So I walk and swim...keeps me out of trouble.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Nah...my hips/knees don't like running. So I walk and swim...keeps me out of trouble.

Somehow, I doubt that.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    So I have moved mom to her active adult community (We daren't call it retirement community lest we make her sound "old") and despite a few bumps in the road it went well and she is very pleased. My streak lapsed but I am going to "start over" because I gained a big chunk of weight back and have careened out of control. Why yes, that was me you saw eating a ginormous ice cream the shore the other day. So we begin again. Ensconced at sister's now. My first job here is to clear my stuff away from the Max Trainer so we can use it! Have been reading a fascinating book called "Always Hungry?" When I have finished it I will post about it. Interesting ideas.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Four days of swimming at 3600 yards. I am getting into the routine of swimming four days a week. My off days I go for long walks, around 5 miles or so, and I am starting to see a change in my body. A little change but I believe there may be muscles lurking beneath all that extra weight. Who knew?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My goal for Summer is simple. I've got a blackberry bush in the back yard. I want to keep that thirsty plant alive through the long hot summer. It died last year and this year came back from the roots, making these branches new. Only year-old branches produce fruit, so I have to keep it alive through the summer so I can have fruit next Spring.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I bought basil and when I got it home, I remembered why I prefer to grow it - the stuff in the stores is filthy!

Going to get a few plants, and keep them alive all summer I hope. Well, those that I don't eat, that is .....