Who is racing this weekend?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My first full marathon is this coming Sat. - the Oregon Trail Run in Nebraska. I'm nervous... not worried I won't be able to finish, but that my pace time will not be what I want. I set an aggressive (for me) goal of 4:10.

Also, I'm cursing the weather reports because the rain expected in the evening keeps moving earlier and earlier every time I check. If this keeps up, there will be rain during the race... which I hate because I haven't ever found a truly breathable rain jacket and I just end up trapping sweat in (which is worst). If it is pouring, then I'm going to wear a jacket anyway. If it is misting, I will wear a long-sleeve non-waterproof, but thick top and be somewhat hot. No matter what happens, I do not intend to change what I'm wearing mid-run; so I need to choose wisely before heading out.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,693 Member
    Options
    Midwesterner - Unless it's going to be cold, I'd be careful about overdressing. It will just get soaked and heavy, increasing the possibility of chaffing. When you're running a race, you generate a lot of heat. Be sure to use lots of Vaseline or Bodyglide on your feet and any place that cloth is likely to touch. Just make sure you have warm dry clothes at the end.
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    I'm running Gettysburg's Blue - Gray HM next Sunday. I'm hoping to finally break 2 hours.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wild Duluth is this Saturday so, looks like I'll be racing.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bamburgh Castles HM on Sunday :smiley:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Got a Halloween 5k this Sunday. Out of all the races on my calendar, I think this one is probably my favourite. I can walk to the start from my home, which gives me a nice pre-race warm up. And the post-race party is held at the local pizzeria. Free beer and pizza, what's not to like?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Skipping the halloween-themed 5K Saturday in favor of the Pete Glavin XC Race #4 (6K for masters men). Not a huge fan of XC, but the club needs me and I might get an attendance award for the USATF Niagara Region Runner of the Year Series if I do this one, i.e. there's an off chance no one better than me will run enough races in the USATF RROY series for their points to count toward the series masters win.
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    Went to pick up my race packet tonight, and I've been given the #1 bib. Sadly it's not because I'm an elite runner, it's because I was the first person to sign up for the race.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Running the RDC Inaugural Marathon on Sunday 11/12. Although I've been following a training plan, it doesn't feel like it has come together like it did last year. This may be a very long training run for me. It's going to be a cold start.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am running the Honor Run (Veteran's Memorial) half marathon in Florence Kentucky on Sunday. I am running in honor of my father. I am probably not going to race it hard, more just there for the experience of it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Monterey Bay Half Marathon on Sunday. My first race since moving back to California, and I hear the course is beautiful (and mostly flat). I've been sick recently, so it might be a little tough, but I feel like I've recovered enough to do well.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »
    Running the RDC Inaugural Marathon on Sunday 11/12. Although I've been following a training plan, it doesn't feel like it has come together like it did last year. This may be a very long training run for me. It's going to be a cold start.

Good luck with it! I miss Durham, but I don't miss the weather.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Dark Valley Half tomorrow night. Need to charge my headtorch...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'll be running the Pete Glavin XC Race #5 on Sunday. Men run 8K, ladies run 6K. Knowing what the field is like, I don't expect to finish in the top 3 of my age group; if things go well, I might be on the 2nd place M 60-69 team.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Harrisburg Marathon on Sunday. Start temp is forecast to be 26F. Brrrrrrrrrrr.
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    I know a couple of people who are running Harrisburg. I thought about it months ago, but we had plans to be on the road this fall. That didn't happen. Still, I am glad not to be running for hours in the cold. I did a 20 last winter on a 15 degree day and it was not easy.
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    I'm tapering this week in preparation for my half on Saturday. The weather forecast isn't brilliant (I think I might get a bit wet), but it's not going to be below freezing which is always a bonus.

The last half I ran was back in November 2011 and my time was 2:26:32 (I never said I was fast). I was aiming for a time of around 2:15:00 which would be a PB, but my training for the past couple of weeks hasn't been as good as I wanted. Without going into too much detail, I'm having a rough time at the moment, but I'm determined to do this.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm tapering this week in preparation for my half on Saturday. The weather forecast isn't brilliant (I think I might get a bit wet), but it's not going to be below freezing which is always a bonus.

The last half I ran was back in November 2011 and my time was 2:26:32 (I never said I was fast). I was aiming for a time of around 2:15:00 which would be a PB, but my training for the past couple of weeks hasn't been as good as I wanted. Without going into too much detail, I'm having a rough time at the moment, but I'm determined to do this.

Determination is everything! You got this!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Determination is everything! You got this!!

Thank you! I'm even more determined now. The rough time I mentioned is my mum was taken into hospital last week. It wasn't unexpected (pancreatic cancer is a b1tch), and on Wednesday my Dad called to let me know she had passed away peacefully. It would be easy to back out of the race, but backing out was never my Mum's MO, so it's not going to be mine either. I will probably cry my eyes out for the entire 13.1 miles, but I'm not backing out.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I have 2 races coming up. On Thursday I'll be running the SMT Turkey Trot 5K and on Saturday the Cocoa Bean 5K. I have no goals for either race other than to burn off at least one piece of pie. :-) Happy Thanksgiving to those of us in the U.S. (and around the world if you want a good excuse over-eat with us :D ).