Who is racing this weekend?

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner -I try to focus on spots along the way to help me forget I am running up a hill. That tree, that mailbox, etc. Before you know it, you are at the top of the hill. Never focus on the top of the hill, or it feels like you will never get there. Good luck on you half!

@STrooper _ Good luck on your 10K too. Will look forward to the "Weekend Bling" report on Monday!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Thanks for the tips!! The last race I had with hills was a 15K trail race in the dark. They didn't post a trail map with elevation in advance, so I had no idea how long hills were going to last, and there was a killer hill at mile 6!! It lasted forever and ever. I definitely questioned my sanity while climbing that hill...LOL! I actually almost passed 2 guys coming up to the bottom of that hill, but once we started gaining elevation, they pulled further and further away. Anyway, not sure which is worse...seeing the hill or having no idea. ;) I'll definitely try breaking them into sections though. I know that helps with running in general, and I do break races and long training runs into sections by distance.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    5k Sunday afternoon, after the Columbus day parade on the same course, and before the October/beer-fest along the route. It's an out-and-back along a ~1.5 mile road. The out is all up hill.
    My daughter's girl scout troop is marching, and the whole thing is a walkable distance from my place.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Dayton River Corridor Classic Half marathon on Sunday. I have run this race twice before: 2004 (my first HM-2:05) and 2014 (my HM PR-1:43:56). The course is new this year, but is supposed to be flat and fast as in the past. I was originally hoping for a sub 1:40, but I am pretty sure that is off the table as I have been contending with a hamstring issue for the past few weeks. I am still hoping for a small PR though. I have been resting the leg this week and have only run 3 miles on Tuesday. Gonna get out there tonight for a tempo to test my leg at HM pace.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Running half of a half tomorrow as part of a 2 person relay. Not sure why... Someone asked me and of course I said yes. :-)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm in Venice (now) to run the marathon on Sunday, October 23rd.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1 week to go until my first 10K! I admit I'm getting nervous as time gets close. I have run the full distance multiple times, I know I can do it. I want a good time (for me) and I worry about muscle injury/cramp interfering. I worry about being in my zone for race, being stretched and warmed up without going too far and hampering my run. I worry about eating right the day before.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @STrooper- Just now caught this. How did your marathon go last weekend? Was that Venice, Italy?
  • dewd2
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1 week to go until my first 10K! I admit I'm getting nervous as time gets close. I have run the full distance multiple times, I know I can do it. I want a good time (for me) and I worry about muscle injury/cramp interfering. I worry about being in my zone for race, being stretched and warmed up without going too far and hampering my run. I worry about eating right the day before.

No matter how bad my runs were leading up to a race I have NEVER felt bad at a race. There are just too many people putting out too much energy for that to happen. Enjoy the experience. You got this!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

You'll do great! Just make sure you don't go out too fast so you still have gas in the tank at the end of the race when you need it. If you're prone to cramping, you can drink some pickle juice or Gatorade before the race. You'll have adrenaline to get you " in the zone."

Have fun!!
  • silverfiend
    Options
    Tapering my runs as the race gets closer. 5 miler last monday followed by several easy 2 milers. I tried to push myself a bit on Friday's 2 mile run and did a 9:18 first mile followed by an 8:02 second. My goal is a 9:10 average for the race. That was VERY encouraging but I hope I can hold it for the race duration.

I'm hoping to run about a 10 for the first mile, then about 9:30 for the second and then sub 9s for the remainder. Oh well, only a few more short and slow runs left. Just have to see how it goes!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Tapering my runs as the race gets closer. 5 miler last monday followed by several easy 2 milers. I tried to push myself a bit on Friday's 2 mile run and did a 9:18 first mile followed by an 8:02 second. My goal is a 9:10 average for the race. That was VERY encouraging but I hope I can hold it for the race duration.

I'm hoping to run about a 10 for the first mile, then about 9:30 for the second and then sub 9s for the remainder. Oh well, only a few more short and slow runs left. Just have to see how it goes!

Good luck!! Make sure to post a race report afterwards to let us all know how it goes! :smile:
  • silverfiend
    Options

Good luck!! Make sure to post a race report afterwards to let us all know how it goes! :smile:

Race was awesome! I posted the report in the "weekend bling" thread
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    10k race this morning which was a new PB of bang on 60 minutes... 4 minutes and 23 seconds quicker than when I last ran it 2 years ago.

VERY pleased with myself as my goal since I started running was to be able to run sub 10 minute miles!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Huntsville (AL) Half Marathon this Saturday. It's my speed trial for the Rocket City Marathon to be raced on 12/10. Hoping to BQ RCM with a 3:20 finish. So I am shooting for a 1:35 this weekend at my Half. If I do that, then my confidence level for RCM will be very good. My current PR for the Half is 1:36:33 from this past April is well within reach.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Harrisburg Marathon on Sunday. No big goals for this race. Just want to finish strong.
  • sy8jr8p
    sy8jr8p Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ran longview lake half marathon on saturday at 1 hour 49 minutes.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Turkey Trot in the morning.
  • silverfiend
    Options
    I also will be running in a Turkey Trot 5K tomorrow morning.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I suppose today is the start of a 4 day weekend for people who have tomorrow off work as well. This morning I ran Race with Grace, a 10K in Hilton, NY.