ACTIVE AUGUST - Exercise Related August Challenge

Options

Replies

• giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Swimming this morning. Managed to do over a mile which I have never managed before, so really pleased.
    Have also been to ballroom dancing twice this week, so have reached my goals this week - yay!!
    Really like your EASY exercise plan Dan.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've failed on my 'no weighing for a month' challenge already. It's just so hard when I'm used to monitoring my weight daily to suddenly not be able to weigh at all, I felt like I was losing control. So I've weighed myself today (down 1.3kg :smiley: ) and I'll try to only weigh once per week for the rest of the month.

A surprising thing I have realised is that when I was weighing myself every day I was aware of how dehydrated I was becoming when I exercised. For example, in the gym I would weigh when I came in and when I left and I knew that whatever weight I'd lost during a gym session was water weight and I should make the effort to replace it - I sweat a lot when I exercise, I can lose over a kilo in an hour, even when I'm swimming. For the past week I've been relying on thirst to tell me how much I need to drink and it's so much harder to gauge, I just can't seem to get it right and I've been thirsty ALL the time. There isn't enough water in the world right now!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    8-1 1533 steps
    8-2 567 steps, my toe still hurts :(
    8-3 1065
    8-4 147 :(
    8-5 1488

8-6 0 I forgot to put the pedometer in my pocket. :s

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Day 7 of doing Yoga. Hoot!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have not reached a 6000 average daily step goal, but I have increased my previous average by about 1000. Not much, but I'm still working on it.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Life got in the way and I didn't get to body pump this morning. 4 mile walk this morning.
    LuizH, I wish I could stop the daily weighing. I keep saying I will just do weekly, but stepping on the scale is such a habit now, I find it difficult to stop. Good luck.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options

pondsbb wrote: »
    So far on

Sun 2nd I made my goal with 10179 steps
    Tues 4th 10558 steps

Haven't made it on 1st or 3rd Aug. I feel no different so far.
    Met my goal on Wend Aug 5th with 10524 steps..Lord I'm tired. Lol

great going everyone!

Have not met my goal since the 5th. On top of that I had a carb crash today where I ate a Hershey bar and a Little Debbie honey bun ..Lord help me.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Have not met my goal since the 5th. On top of that I had a carb crash today where I ate a Hershey bar and a Little Debbie honey bun ..Lord help me.

Hang in there :) Make your next meal a low carb one, and then the next one after that, and you'll be right back on track.

Also, you are pretty new to low carb right? If the 10k steps goal is a big step up from what you're used to, AND you're still fairly new to large diet changes, consider if its too many big changes at once. Activity level changes drive my appetite crazy at times, even after 20 months on keto.

I don't want to deter you from any goals you have, and I don't know how big these changes are for you at all, its just a suggestion to be sure about things. A lot of folks that start low carb (myself included back when I started) are making very large, very serious life changing decisions by changing everything about how they eat. For many, that's just about all they can handle at one time!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    OK. I've been quiet because I've been really, really busy taking care of legal and health issues for ALL the aging parents. I beg you to sort out all your legalities before it's a necessity. Despite all that I've managed to increase my activity. Woohoo.

Stretches. All the time. This is surprisingly doing amazing things for my energy levels. I don't know how but there it is.

I increased the time I help out at the school tuckshop (canteen-like food service at Aussie schools) from 3.5 hrs to 5.5 hrs. I was exhausted at the end of the day. :smiley:

I've been out to procure some new plants for the pots on the front patio and planted them all. I've fertilised everything and the next plan in the garden is to weed the back garden near the pool before Spring hits.

I'm happy with all this.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    8-1 1533 steps
    8-2 567 steps, my toe still hurts :(
    8-3 1065
    8-4 147 :(
    8-5 1488
    8-6 0 I forgot to put the pedometer in my pocket. :s

8-7 6389 steps, doc said I'm OK for walking :)

• pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »

Hang in there :) Make your next meal a low carb one, and then the next one after that, and you'll be right back on track.

Also, you are pretty new to low carb right? If the 10k steps goal is a big step up from what you're used to, AND you're still fairly new to large diet changes, consider if its too many big changes at once. Activity level changes drive my appetite crazy at times, even after 20 months on keto.

I don't want to deter you from any goals you have, and I don't know how big these changes are for you at all, its just a suggestion to be sure about things. A lot of folks that start low carb (myself included back when I started) are making very large, very serious life changing decisions by changing everything about how they eat. For many, that's just about all they can handle at one time!

Thanks radiii. Yes I may be overdoing it a bit. I'll jump back on the wagon immediately.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I agree. I've been low carb for 9-10 mths and I'm only just now thinking about more activity. I've been Keto for a long while and I've been feeling a bit "burnt out" for want of a better term. I've been hovering between almost no carbs to about 50g a day with an occasional higher carb thrown in while I've been dealing with some other life stuff that's landed in my lap. I'm holding a steady weight so I'm really pleased with that. Everyone deal with life in their own way. If you need to take little steps that's okay. It's still going forward. At the moment I'm not going backward and that's perfectly fine by me.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. These changes have to be for life and if it takes a little while longer to reach a goal weight then so be it.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »

This is a marathon, not a sprint. These changes have to be for life and if it takes a little while longer to reach a goal weight then so be it.

Great Philosophy! :)

• fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 8/4 7658 steps
    Wednesday 8/5 4834 steps
    Thursday 8/6 5737 steps
    Friday 8/7 13907 steps * i am a waitress on the week end can you tell LOLOL
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oops.
  • radiii
    Options
    I'm going to participate in the monthly challenge from reddit's great flexibility sub:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/3fewg8/august_is_hip_flexor_opening_month_look_inside/

Week 1: Did my stretching 6 out of 7 days last week. The "couch stretch" is brutal, but I've figured out that if I do loosen up properly first and work my way towards it I can do it, so far just seeing that I can do the exercises a little better is improvement/reward enough itself.
  • simbartes
    Options
    simbartes wrote: »

What are your goals and expectations?
    Goals:
    1. Get at least 5000 steps (recorded by Fitbit one) and hopefully increase that to the 10000 recommended by the end of the month.
    2. Take the stairs at work (three flights) twice a day.
    3. Start a fitness program, focusing on weighs and fifteen minutes or so of cardio. Three times a week. I've even taken a week off work to figure it all out and try and work out what time of day to do it.

Week 1:
    I used the stairs at work and every day and at all times. It was embarrassing how much I puffed and huffed and it did not get any easier throughout the week. But I did do it!!
    My Fitbit one got here on Thursday.
  • simbartes
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oops again.
    How do you delete accidental posts?
  • radiii
    Options
    simbartes wrote: »
    Oops again.
    How do you delete accidental posts?

I don't think you can, but you have an hour to edit it if you want, can edit it to "accidental post" to take up less space but I think that's the best you can do.

Congrats on sticking with the stairs so far, btw :)
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Walking the dachshund every day and wandering around the house. Surgery Tuesday morning and then the real work will begin.