ACTIVE AUGUST - Exercise Related August Challenge

Options

Replies

• Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My August fitness goals are to hit 10,000 steps per day 5X's per week and to start weight lifting 2X's per week.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really behind on getting my average steps to 6000. I need to aim for about 7000 a day the rest of the week to get back on track. And today is only 4500 so far. Even after a 2 mile walk. Eek!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8-1 1533 steps
    8-2 567 steps, my toe still hurts :(

8-3 1061

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have done ok with my steps. My goal was 15,000 per day but the weekends are hard for some reason. I should hit 18,000 or so today if I work at it.

Saturday 1st: 11,284
    Sunday 2nd: 7,001
    Monday 3rd: 19,005
    Tuesday 4th: 10,435 so far at 2:04pm.

Weightlifting is going very well. I have added 2.5kg to each lift (doing stronglifts 5x5).
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really behind on getting my average steps to 6000. I need to aim for about 7000 a day the rest of the week to get back on track. And today is only 4500 so far. Even after a 2 mile walk. Eek!

Don't feel bad. Something is better than nothing. Creating new habits takes time and effort. I'm proponent of «sneak'em in» rather than «power through». YMMV.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    got 1/2 hr of a just dance marathon in yesterday
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Day 4 Done. Yoga for the Back today. Soo good to feel the stretch.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not doing so great with my 10k steps per day. I hit it on the 1st (and then some--20,207 steps total). The 2nd, I only got in 5481, and yesterday was at 6107. I should hit my goal today, and will try hard to get there every day for the rest of the week.

At least I'm still averaging 10k/day so far...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not doing so great with my 10k steps per day. I hit it on the 1st (and then some--20,207 steps total). The 2nd, I only got in 5481, and yesterday was at 6107. I should hit my goal today, and will try hard to get there every day for the rest of the week.

At least I'm still averaging 10k/day so far...

When I was doing a step challenge, if I was short I would walk in place at the end of the night till I hit my goal
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I am going to withdraw from this challenge. I've been sick on and off for over a week with a crazy stomach bug that just will not leave my house... and we moved to a new place... and it's August in Houston. I just give up on any extra physical activity right now. Climbing the steps to my apartment is enough for me in this heat and with this nausea. :(
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    8-1 1533 steps
    8-3 1061

8-4 147 :(
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    This is great @toadqueen! Thank you for starting this challenge. I've been hoping someone would do this for a challenge. I'm all in. Although some may think I'm joking below, I am DEAD serious about this matter. Someone said I was "anti-exercise", they were mistaken. I have come up with the below on my own. Why? Because gym and other exercises, for me, were similar to low fat diets. They didn't work for me and were unsustainable, boring and made me extremely hungry.

So I came up with my own methods, I and I want to share it with the group. I hope I answered your questions right. Just like in dieting, we have to find our own way when it comes to exercising.

Initial post:
    What is your current exercise level/program?
    The program I have been on for two months is called: EASY

Enjoyable - fun, pleasurable exercise
    Achievement - work, serves a purpose
    Sustainable - more likely to stay on the program
    Yields - yields great rewards, benefits and fitness

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying)

The challenge is twofold. The exercise has to be enjoyable, fun or have a purpose OTHER than making you fit. Fitness is a side effect of the EASY program.

Under this regimen, there are many restrictions and a great amount of freedom. Depending upon what you chose to do, it could be no or low cost, or as expensive as you prefer. The purpose is to create a sustainable program that will last more than a month or two.

First. The exercise must be Enjoyable and/or fun, pleasurable. The fun exercise methods on this program may include, but are not limited to:

Riding an ATV on rugged terrain.
    Swimming at a beach next to ocean, lake, beautiful river, etc.
    Walking on vacation (but not boring routine walking near home or in a gym).
    Walking with a friend at a beautiful park, forest, or other scenic place.
    Walking or playing with children.
    Ziplines, rope courses.
    Any hobby or sport that involves moving your body, e.g. golfing, basketball, softball, volleyball, etc.
    Walking or playing with your spouse (sex counts :smile: )

The second kind of exercise involves doing any activity that could be deemed as work or it must serve a purpose OTHER THAN fitness. If fitness is the primary objective, then you're not doing the program properly! No exceptions. Fitness is a "by-product" of the EASY program.

Here is a short list (but not limited to) of Achievements, Work or doing Purposeful things:

Build a shed, sawing, hammering, sanding, lifting wood or lifting moving other construction materials.
    Hand washing your car, home cleaning involving scrubbing, or other vigorous chores around the house.
    Rebuilding worn out items, sanding, painting, wire wheeling, MIG welding, filing, grinding.
    Repairing your car, changing oil, rotating tires.
    Gardening, landscaping, mowing, raking, weed trimming, chain sawing, etc.
    Any walking that serves a useful purpose, like shopping, inspecting your property, at a zoo, nature park, etc.

Restrictions.
    These devices, places or movements are strictly prohibited and are not to tolerated on the EASY program:

Cycling on stationary bikes, YMCA, push-ups, chin-ups, jumping jacks, Brazilian Butt lifts, Nordic machines or any exercise "machine", jogging or walking mindlessly or routinely down ugly and uninspiring places or walking alone. No lifting, moving or otherwise touching steel bars with weights, or with cables with iron on the end of them, kettle balls, etc. And most importantly: you can't step your foot into a gym!

What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc. )

To tone and build muscles.

Weekly posts:
    What did you do/try this week?

I have done some nice lengthy workouts, last weekend was the forth in the ATV shed build. Below is a pic of the the ATV shed which will house my two other ATV's (also part of the EASY program). I completed roof joists and front walls, about a five hour workout.

Were your goals and expectations met?

So far so good. I was sore for about three days on each of the four weekends for this particular build! Every inch of my body was sore, from my toes to the top of my head... great workout... :)

Here is a pic:

d5mrfpbnx0dt.jpg

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    100 pounds down, 24 to go.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Update so far -
    1/8 - 4 mile walk
    2/8 - Shabam. This was fun, but very fast for me. Will try again next week.
    4/8 - Swimming 42 lengths.
    5/8 - 45 min Spin.

Have booked myself in for Bodypump on Friday. Really want to get back into doing this regularly as when I last did it it made a real difference to my body shape.

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just saw these challenges so I'm joining a bit late. But I need some motivations. ugh.

My current "routine" (ha!) is that I walk my dog every morning for about 30 minutes, but only if I manage to get going early enough before the awful heat kicks in. Also I have been trying to go to the gym three times a week, but now it's closed for almost a month (the county fair is there and that's getting set up now, plus then they do maintenance after the fair is taken down -- so Aug. 1-25 it's closed) so I can't do that.

So I think my fitness goals for August will be:

1. Take my dog out for a walk by 7:00 each morning. (I get up early so in theory this should not be a problem.)
    2. Look on the tv or on YouTube for some sort of exercise routine, or maybe I'll just put on music and march in place or dance or something (when no one is home and with the blinds pulled down! :blush: )

I have a Misfit tracker and I have it set for 1,000 points. I'm not sure what that translates to in terms of steps but with just ordinary dog walking and running errands I get only about half of that, maybe 3/4. So I want to be sure to get all those 1k points, even if it means going out for a quick walk up and down the block in the evening.

I would like to lose a bit faster. I've been losing about 1 pound a week which I know is a good sustainable level. But I'd like it to lose a bit more because my favorite black jeans still don't zip comfortably. But they *almost* do! And I'd like to wear them when I go back to substitute teaching in September. :smiley:

• pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So far on

Sun 2nd I made my goal with 10179 steps
    Tues 4th 10558 steps

Haven't made it on 1st or 3rd Aug. I feel no different so far.
  • fludderbye
    Options
    * finally got a new battery for my pedometer
    8/2 just dance wii 30 min
    8/4 7658 steps
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Met my goal on Wend Aug 5th with 10524 steps..Lord I'm tired. Lol

great going everyone!
  • KenSmith108
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8-1 1533 steps
    8-3 1065
    8-4 147 :(

8-5 1488

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Not a great start out of the gate for me on this challenge, so far... But, I'm not giving up. I like the EASY acronym from above:

Enjoyable
    Achievable
    Sustainable
    Yields

Thanks, Dan the Man!

Revised plan:

I'm turning on the music right now, very loud, and I'm gonna dance! Right up next to the speakers! Sorry neighbors. It's only rock and roll, but I like it!!
  • fludderbye
    Options
    wed- 8/5 4834 steps