AUGUST Chat

Options

Replies

• janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1490 sounds more like NEAT (includes non exercise activiy) than BMR.
    BMR is like lying in bed all day, just breathing. How did you arrive at that high number?

I used several BMR calculators including the one on MFP. They were all around 1500 cal. What are you thinking it should be? I'm 5'3" and 213#.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    1490 sounds more like NEAT (includes non exercise activiy) than BMR.
    BMR is like lying in bed all day, just breathing. How did you arrive at that high number?

I used several BMR calculators including the one on MFP. They were all around 1500 cal. What are you thinking it should be? I'm 5'3" and 213#.

When I was 189 lbs., I'm 5'3" also, and 64, my BMR was 1225. Maybe the extra weight and you're perhaps younger than I was, might account for it? As long as that is what the BMR app on MFP says for you, go with it. Be sure you eat up to that amount, not below as you will lower your metabolism eating below BMR for extended periods. Then weight loss is almost impossible. without starving yourself.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I came across this one, I had forgotten about this great song, I love Don McLean, he is one of the best American song writers ever. And it is related to what we are doing here. o:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16B1IUTCrU&list=WL&index=24
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @retirehappy I love it. A "self"-love song!
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Had a really bad day yesterday. Started headachy and then I started feeling light-headed. Then diarrhea and nausea. Felt like my BP or blood sugar might be too low so went to see an EMT who works Security and my BP was low. So was oxygen and pulse. Blood sugar was fine. I started drinking water to raise BP. Couldn't eat lunch (we know I was feeling sick :D ). Called my doctor, but couldn't get in. Decided to go home early and go to bed. I stopped at CVS to pick up some soda and since no one was in the Minute Clinic popped in to see the NP. BP was still very low as was oxygen level. She convinced me to go to ER since I live alone. Really just wanted to go to sleep. Lots of people there but with my heart issues, I got right in to a bed. Still was there for 4 hours. They gave me an IV and BP came up. All blood tests were fine. Went home, ate two bites of watermelon. Got sick. Went to bed. I feel a whole lot better today although I do feel like a mule kicked me in my stomach. Going easy on the food though so had a vitamin rich fruit smoothy for breakfast.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow- what a day! Do you have any idea what caused the low B/P and O2 level? That would have been scary. Glad you are feeling better today.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    GMCharlie, what a scary day!! Glad you used that clinic. Did not realize you live alone. Did the ER staff have any idea what brought all that on? Hope you are feeling better today. {{HUGS}}
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GCharlie - reading about your day snapped me right into a reality check. I filed my petty complaints when I read what you were dealing with! Sure hope that you are feeling lots better and getting some real help from your doctor. Take care & do get checked out! So sorry to hear you are dealing with all that - scary stuff there.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Husband got to help friend on his land and got a kick out of riding down on atv's to feed the 9 horses. Irrigation is now moving and hooking up the rolling sprinklers instead of digging open the dike trench and moving the canvas dams around.
    Got up to entrance of J bar 9 ranch, but not allowed in. Financier from Wall Street owns it and surrounding ranches and doesn't allow even prior owners in.
    Saw Valley school dh rode horse to his first two years of school, and got to go inside, as teacher was there. They no longer use outhouses, and the horse barn is gone. The teacherage is still there.
    The school where MIL taught and where she met DH's father has been moved to a ranch close by, and maintained. We got to see that.

Nearby Ranch, which is the name of the house the Deters lived in in Cody is being well maintained and even had a plaque on the front with its name.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Sharon, sounds like it was a great trip! It can be nice to "go home." When do we get to see pictures of you and the dress?

As for me: They didn't make a diagnosis except for dehydration. However, after I thought about it, I think that it might be my meds. Since losing weight, I have had my BP and heart meds changed twice, but, the last time I was there he debated whether to decrease or delete the spironolactone from the list. It is a diuretic. (I also have a script for Lasix, but I only take it when I need it now). I bet it is time to dump the spironolactone, too. I'm not on the tight water restrictions I used to be, but I still can't drink as much as some of you, so I think the spironolactone is the culprit. I see the cardiologist in a few weeks. I am awaiting the nurses call from my family doctor as a follow up from the other evening. I still am not 100%, but I'm faking it! I'm trying to eat well, exercise but not overdo, and get to bed earlier.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Charlie. Sorry you had such a bad time of it but hope it does not happen again. Getting the IV was a good idea since you probably can get dehydrated quickly (from the diarrhea) with the subsequent decreased BP. Take care of yourself and I hope this does not happen again.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Charlie, it's scary when they can't get things dialed in. Thank heavens they could top up with the iv.
    Dress story. Ended up wearing a jumpsuit I'd taken. The heat was so great in the trunk it melted the new-fangled stick-on hemming material on the long dress. :-(
    Turned out the jumpsuit was a better choice, as there was only one long dress worn. The others wore dressy casual, or even more casual, ignoring the notice to be formal. Need to get DH's phone to get the photo.
    Wyoming people dress very casually, even at the country club. My reunion dinner was at the Big Texan, which made it clear to every one how to dress. ;-)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Sharon, sounds like it was a great trip! It can be nice to "go home." When do we get to see pictures of you and the dress?

As for me: They didn't make a diagnosis except for dehydration. However, after I thought about it, I think that it might be my meds. Since losing weight, I have had my BP and heart meds changed twice, but, the last time I was there he debated whether to decrease or delete the spironolactone from the list. It is a diuretic. (I also have a script for Lasix, but I only take it when I need it now). I bet it is time to dump the spironolactone, too. I'm not on the tight water restrictions I used to be, but I still can't drink as much as some of you, so I think the spironolactone is the culprit. I see the cardiologist in a few weeks. I am awaiting the nurses call from my family doctor as a follow up from the other evening. I still am not 100%, but I'm faking it! I'm trying to eat well, exercise but not overdo, and get to bed earlier.

It seems to me that your heart was involved in this episode. Can I urge you to call your cardiologist, tell him/her what happened, and ask for a sooner appointment?

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this thread which is admittedly old but... still very inspiring! Folks sharing their favorite benefits of releasing weight and getting fit ... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10052379/unexpected-results-of-weight-loss#latest
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Oh, I spoke to cardiologist's office, too. He already had my record from the visit and tests. Echo and blood work were good for me. Trust me, I never hit the hospital that they don't first think it is my heart (at least it gets me a bed right away). In fact, the reason I put off the ER is that they always keep me as a precaution overnight. But, this seems to have been a case of dehydration, and they didn't even keep me beyond the tests and IV . Really think it is my meds. Specifically the diuretic.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Whew, relief they are on top of it, Charlie.
  • retirehappy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Charlie, so glad you have this sorted out. It is hard to find a balance with water.

I keep seeing Jessica Smith's name in posts. I checked her out on youtube. I found this video to be very interesting, more standing core work. I will do anything to avoid old school crunches. :)

Lose Your Love Handles! Full 26 Minute Standing Abs Workout | Core Cardio Exercises
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=71yrXP5pJms
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    @Charlie. I'm relieved your tests in the hospital were good - not a heart issue.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I will do anything to avoid old school crunches. :)

Lose Your Love Handles! Full 26 Minute Standing Abs Workout | Core Cardio Exercises
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=71yrXP5pJms

Thanks for this link - will give these a try! I like a little variety, too, although I don't know that I've ever done an "old school crunch" in my life :# ~ Kathy

• grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I am very lucky to have really terrific health insurance at work. I sometimes forget how great it is and all the "other" stuff it offers. If I go to the website and check under "other coverage," there is a long list of discounts. I have purchased my bp monitors this way, but, there are great discounts on everything from exercise equipment, fitness trackers (all the big names including jawbone, fitbit, etc), even cookware and kitchen equipment (Cuisinart products have really huge discounts!) I also get discounts on massages and other alternative treatments. Everytime I mention these things to my co-workers they don't even know it is available. So...I'm mentioning this here just in case you have something similar.