The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Russ, Rory and Mike (niece's husband) hauled all the furniture out of Steve's house this morning. They put the throw away furniture in the dumpster and then put the whole pile of garbage we had thrown in the garage in there too. It is 3/4's full and there is still more. My sister connected with a non profit in the area that helps people in need. They are going to bring a trailer and come look at the furniture we are donating and hopefully take it away to their thrift store or to give to people who are setting up a home. Most just needs cleaning up but none of us need or want it. I've taken what I want and have my work cut out for me sanding, painting or varnishing to make it all look good again. I'm furnishing my basement room with the pieces I took. Saves me money...

We will be portaling with Halen and her parents tonight. I haven't seen her on the screen in a week. Chantrelle sends me pictures every few days which I enjoy.

It's nice having Rory here. The house isn't so quiet. He is definitely in relaxation mode. I'm glad he could come for two weeks.

Well I hope you've had a nice week.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,725 Member
    Options
    The parking this is for the Tuesday's during the 'temperature Tuesday' because they have been so insanely busy. One more left, actually Caleb should be done since he has a concert next Tuesday and will have to be off. He is actually excited for the concert. ;>)

I am so glad the temperatures are coming. Not looking forward to the melt though.

Glad your temps are better too.

Only one more day this week!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It has been snowing heavily here! We drove to an Inn that built outdoor shanties/cabins for dining. We reserved one with Rory and went for Friday night fish fry. It was fun to have our own shanty for private dining. There was a heater and little lanterns for light. It was warm in there. Outside was a fire pit with picnic tables. The diningroom inside is now open for 25% capacity so a few tables were taken. We wanted the shanty experience and haven't been ready to eat in the vicinity of others. However eating at 7pm, the restaurant had people spaced far apart so we would consider it next time when it is not yet tourist season.

Russ was the designated driver, Rory and I each had a pint of beer. The snow caused poor visibility and the roads were snow covered. Difficult to see where the road was. Russ did well!

I ate to much and will pay the price in the night or early morning. The food was really good though.

Have a great weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    That shanty thing sounds fun!

Caleb and I sent off our request for a visit to South Dakota School of Mines during his spring break. It should be a good time - as long as this dang snow-fest is over!

Not much going on - watched some Husker Volleyball and made a big breakfast.

So glad you are having a great time with Rory.

Back at it tomorrow.

Happy Sunday!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    My brother's house is almost empty. We have lamps, boxes of donateable stuff, mementos and a couple of garbage bags yet to get out. The place is so filthy that I shower when I come home. I just got back an hour ago and will go back tomorrow morning when a place comes with a trailer to pick up furniture we don't want. Hope it is a big trailer!

Lots of snow here but the temps are fine for me. 20's to 30's...

Rory has been a big help. I don't think he enjoys the heavy lifting and getting grungy at my brother's but we needed his muscle and he's a good sport. He may never come to visit us again, Ha Ha!

I wonder what C will think of that school? What town/city is it in in SD?

The shanty dinner was nice. Just nice to do something different and have food cooked for us and served.

Happy Monday!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    The SD school of Mines is in Rapid City. So we'll plan to go check out Rushmore and Bear Country (hopefully) while we are there. Hit the Corn Palace on the way out. Bernie and I went like 25 years ago - but we have never been with the boys.

Just ordered Caleb some t-shirts and new jeans from American Eagle - he finally said he wanted new clothes (I ask all the time and all he usually wants are these Thrivent t-shirts) - I wonder who he wants to dress up for? ;>) Or maybe it should be yikes! The lack of girls have meant a lot less drama for sure. But I knew it couldn't last forever. He's a good looking kid. Please no crazy.

Buh-bye Monday.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Sounds like C may like a girl or at least want to be more attractive by wearing spiffy clothes. Oh to be young again!

Stress levels here are high today. We met at my brother's house at 9am and pulled out more stuff for the crew picking up furniture, etc. They arrived at 10am and took most of the furniture. There were some things they didn't want like twin bed frames, a headboard, decor pillows, etc. With COVID, they say it has changed what people want. Russ got a Facebook notice for the Samaritan's Closet (place that took the furniture). They had already staged the furniture in their showroom for purchase. Nice to know someone else may be able to use some of it. Seems so wasteful when stuff gets tossed but sometimes it just isn't what anyone would want. We have filled the very large dumpster which may be picked up in a day or so. Russ ordered the smallest dumpster to be delivered to put the last stuff from the garage in it. It would be many trips to the dump with his pick up at a cost per time to dump stuff off. Seems like a time saver and more economical to just fill a small dumpster with what is left. I hope we recoup the money from my brother. He doesn't understand why we needed the dumpster in the first place but said he would pay. We are going to charge him $900 which will cover half of the cost of the second dumpster. Russ and I will eat the difference since he did not charge us much for painting our house interior. Just easier this way. We don't want to mention the second dumpster to him.

My sister arrived very irritable and stressed today. She said he was in a bad mood and yelling at her about the food she buys or doesn't buy. I think she is his scapegoat because she is there. Rory is here but he seems irritable too. He seems to take it out on me. If I ask him in an innocent question or comment on anything, I can tell he is annoyed with me. It's like age 15-16 all over again.

I feel kind of sick with stress. Not sleeping well and just want the house to be done.

I hope all is well with you. Is work taking a turn for the better?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm so sorry everyone is feeling so stressed. Maybe step away from everything for a couple of days would be beneficial for everybody.

Work is nuts. Just insane. Backlog is up to 40 million. Forty. Million. A comfortable backlog is around 15. Just freakin' nuts. My anniversary is officially 3/1 - and I have 14.5 days of last years vacation to use. I will have a small grace period - but it is so hard to take time off with how insane it is - and knowing the pressure that increases for Michele when I do. And she hasn't taken a day in I don't know how long either. Nuts.

Hump day. It's lent too. I should be going to church tonight. Maybe next week. I keep thinking it's time. And then I get home and I just exhale and can't fathom leaving again. Maybe next week.

Deep breath!

• jrbanta
    Options
    You've earned your days even though it is hard to take them with how busy work is. You need to rejuvenate to keep at that pace going forward. It probably won't let up for quite awhile. Take care of yourself so you don't get sick or fatigued.

The sun is out today so that is nice. Russ is going over to talk to my brother this morning while my sister's are at his house. I'm done and not going back to the house. Russ said he can fill the second dumpster and prefers to do it alone. My sisters and all their fussing drive him crazy so he just wants to get it done. I've tried to explain to my oldest sister to let him do it without interference but she doesn't understand why we all wouldn't help. I told Russ I'm sick of being the person in the middle of him and them during this house cleaning. If doesn't want them there he can tell them. Of course, he will be rude and insensitive and there goes our relationship with them. At this point I'm sick of it all. It just goes in circles and my 3 siblings that aren't sick are bigger procrastinators than I am. They avoid conflict and are afraid to make Steve mad so they won't have the hard conversations with him that they volunteer to do. I just hope we recoup our money for this dumpster. My brother told me he would pay but he is moody more than usual.

My oldest sister got her first vaccine yesterday and the other one gets her first today. My brother in AZ will have his second vaccine next week.

A friend in MN has COVID. His symptoms are numbness in his limbs, tightness in his chest, joint and body aches. He went to the ER and they ran tests to determine if his heart was ok and it is. His wife has a constant headache and fatigue but tested negative. Weird!

2020 was a hard year but 2021 doesn't seem to be any less hard so far. I hope everything becomes more positive and hopeful as summer arrives. As you can tell, I'm feeling down.

Russ, Rory and I went to dinner at a local bar/restaurant at 4pm yesterday just to get out. There were people at 3 other tables and it felt safe. The place is big and we were all spread out several tables away from each other. It just felt somewhat normal which we needed.

Well have a great Thursday knowing tomorrow is Friday and the then the weekend. Rory leaves Saturday. I'm sure he is ready to get home since it is somewhat tense around here these days.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Rory and I met my niece and her toddler at the beach today. The sun is out and it's 40 degrees so a nice day to go. The beach was snow covered and the waves were rolling. So pretty! I love the sound of the waves breaking.

I woke up with a sinus headache again and it won't go away. My body is sore due to arthritis pain today and walking on the beach was a challenge. Good exercise but hard for me.

We are ordering wood fire pizza from a new pizza place that just opened. Rory leaves early tomorrow morning. Russ will go finish up at Steve's house and I'll go visit Steve tomorrow.

Life will be quiet again,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm sorry your Rory visit is already over. How fun you went to the beach for a nice visit!

The weather is so much better with temps in the high 40's - next week high 50's, but now the flooding is looming. I agree that 2021 is being NO FUN.

It's good you are stepping away for a bit from all the tension with your siblings. It doesn't sound like it is doing anyone any good.

Had my first pretty decent sleep since last weekend. I am guessing that I may be going into either pre-menopause or full on menopause since I am rocking horrible HORRIBLE hot flashes, mood swings and had my first skipped period. I don't care about anything but the hot flashes.
    They are horrendous. And definitely making sleep nearly impossible and I NEED regular sleep. Joy.

Here's to a relaxing Saturday.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    How old are you now? I started pre-menopause in my mid to late 30's. I'm 59 and still have mild hot flashes in bed. Of course, the extra weight around the middle and "menopause apron" is a drag. Everything I read indicates the symptoms are due to decreasing estrogen. I'm not a candidate for hormone supplements due to my family history of breast cancer. I have read about supplements but question whether estrogen is a part of them and I won't take that.

Rory left this morning and should be only a couple of hours from home in Mpls by now. I wanted to visit my brother today but he isn't feeling well and didn't want to visit. My oldest sister came over for a couple of hours and we visited. Russ was at Steve's house putting the last stuff in the dumpster. Tomorrow he is gathering ladders and taking down broken window shades in addition to helping my niece's husband put the snow blower in his truck to take home. Then we are done! I never want to think or talk about that house again.

I need to finish Jeff's album and paint my guest bathroom vanity. My goal is to start and finish the vanity by next the 8th or 9th.

How is C's school going?

My brother from AZ will arrive around the 17th and will stay with us.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm 46 - to be 47 in June. My sister (6 years older) said she went through the major symptoms about 50. I'm guessing that I have COVID to thank for feeling like this a bit early. I mean I know it's not early per what ages it can start - but may be early based on family. I honestly don't really care about 'the change.' I'm not mourning the loss of fertility - I had a tubal done four months after C was born since Bernie refused to take care of it on his end and I was tired of being responsible for birth control. I just am unhappy (more so than normal) about how yucky I am feeling. I already rock anxiety and depression and what is probably 'long-haul' covid issues of fatigue and hair loss. Now the addition of probably menopause and those issues could be contributed and/or exacerbated. Ah well. A women's work is never done - is it.

School is off to a bit of a slow start for C - he seems to be coasting too much for my liking already. Several of his classes are already right on the that a/b line and it is way too early. He is feeling too much of the 'why bother' and losing his internal motivation which has always been so strong. I am hoping the college visit will help kick start him too. I can't figure out where to book to stay - reading the reviews of the highest ranked motels is gross and leaves me not wanting to stay anywhere and just stay home. Bed bugs, poop on the floor, break-ins - NO! I'm to the point of trying to decide if we could do it all in one day. Not likely - 8 hours is a lot and would make it really unenjoyable too. Bleh.

Not much of a break before your next visit. Are you looking forward to brother coming?

Ah Sunday.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Productive day! Russ finished up at my brother's house. Tomorrow I will give keys to my sister to turn in to the landlord. I stripped Rory's bed and washed sheets and towels. I sanded the guestroom vanity and Russ set up a painting area for me in the basement to paint the cabinet door and two drawers. I put the first coat of paint on the vanity earlier and will put the second coat on today or tomorrow. I need to sand the cabinet door and drawers and paint on their first and second coat too. I just ordered two sets of funky drawer/cabinet knobs. Couldn't decide from the pictures on Wayfair so I ordered both to see what they would look like next to my paint. I used a Mineral Fusion paint in Sterling Gray (very light gray). Hope I like it.

My brother arrives around the 17th so I want the guestroom done before then. It gives me motivation to do another project. Next I will paint our vanity a very dark Midnight Blue and put on new hardware which I have not picked out yet.

How are you doing?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Riding the hot flash roller coaster. All day, all night. The exhaustion just doesn't go away since there is very little quality sleep. Expect lots and lots of whining for the next three to five years.

I'm glad your brothers house is done. A big weight off I'm sure.

Zach called me tonight. A phone call! I'm not sure he has ever called me. And nothing was wrong. He was just procrastinating a little bit before studying (supposedly) I heard a lot of yakking in the background. He has three big tests this week before they are done on Friday for Spring Break. I'm sure they are all wound pretty tight. It was only a few minutes, but great to connect with him. I can't wait to see him Friday. He's excited to get home and sleep. ;>)

I still haven't booked a room in Rapid City.

Do you remember the HomeTown episode where they had those jadeite knobs in the one of the kitchens. I think it was that one that got damaged later on by a tornado. But I loved those knobs. Our whole house is oak. Golden oak. Oak cabinets, oak floors, oak vanities, oak stairs, oak railings, oak trim, oak doors. All very nice wood. (Done by the builder) But it's all the same and there is so much of it and of course it's never going anywhere because it's solid wood. I was excited to see so much nice wood but now I am just kind of tired of it. Brief backstory - this house was built by a family who planned on living in it but the guy got hurt and couldn't finish the house and they needed to sell it. So it was like 80 percent finished when we bought it 15 years ago. We did all the yard, decking, fencing, sidewalks, landscaping, painting and the basement. I'm very luck to have a wonderful home. Just kind of wanting some changes but so much oak and it's not going anywhere. And Bernie has such a mess I want him to clean up and he just won't. Because he doesn't care and it drives me nuts! Grrrrrr.

Anywho - 40% done with the week!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Hair today. Tammy thinks my hair felt a bit thicker. I can't tell, but I'll take her word for it. I'll continue choking down the biotin for another month. Still no highlights, boy it's getting a darker without the highlights to balance it out. Maybe next time.

Two days until Z kid!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It's so nice that Z called you to chat. Makes a Mom feel good to know their son misses them doesn't it? Will he be home for spring break?

It's been a hard year for high school kids. I'm guessing C has had enough.

We had oak throughout our MN home. We ended up painting our kitchen cabinets almond white when we put in wood floors. We needed to break up the wood. I put area rugs in the living, bed and family rooms. It sounds like you have done a lot to your home. It never ends with houses. Our new (old) house has heavy paneled oak doors, trim and a wood beam in the kitchen. We also have wood floors in the living, dining room and den. I like wood because it feels warm. I was in a lot of newer homes with gray walls and white trim. It looks updated and nice but doesn't feel as warm to me.

I loved those jadeite knobs and pulls that were on Home Town! They were so pretty. Erin has such a flair for decorating and use of color. I have copied something a former coworker did in her home. I have pillow inserts for my couch and buy throw pillow covers to change the look for Christmas, Fall, Spring, etc. Just that little change gives the room a new look. My friend use to change up her curtains too but I don't use curtains, just bamboo shades. I don't want too many dust collectors because I already have more than I need. I want my house to be easy to clean and dust.

My brother in AZ called yesterday. He will arrive a week early so comes next Wednesday the 10th. He will stay with us the whole visit. Much more quiet here and we won't bug him like my sister would.

I have finished painting the vanity in the guest bathroom. Tomorrow I will put the drawers and cabinet door back on. One set of hardware will arrive tomorrow but not the one I'm very curious about and hope works. They looked funky and fun in the picture so hope they come soon.

This morning I made three meals for my brother and sister that are living together. All organic and vegetarian for him. I made a Greek Salad and grilled a chicken breast for my sister to cut up and put on hers. I made stuffed tomatoes (brown rice, canneloni beans, basil, chopped tomato pulp and seasonings) and a roasted cherry tomato and herb pasta. I used brown rice pasta. I am not a fan and will not make this recipe again. They all came from my Healing Anti-Inflammatory recipe book. My brother was appreciative and my sister loves it when she does not have to cook.

Well tomorrow I am going to donate blood at the blood center. I have a rare blood type AB+ and have never donated.

Only 2 days left in work week or are you taking your vacay days?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Yay for donating the blood. They will be very appreciative. Bernie does (not on the regular, but from time to time). Zach has done it several times. I always chicken out. I have rolling veins and have nightmares from when I was younger about when blood draws or iv's would involve that digging around thing. I need to get over it and just do it. I'm a big girl. And it's not that bad.

I would be very appreciative of being cooked for - and I'm sure your brother and sister are too. Even if it ends up being not a keeper. Just not having to worry about it is huge.

Almost Friday!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I gave blood but since it was my first time I had to fill stuff out and get my vitals taken. By the time I was seated for the blood draw, my friend was done. We had to talk from across the room because she had to sit at the table with snacks and water for 15 minutes. Not much visiting with one another this time. I thought the worst was how long it took to get info and set up for the draw. Otherwise they had my pint in 5.5 minutes.

Charlie our dog must be stressed. He peed on my new rug on my side of the bed. He's done it once before. I'm glad I bought that Bissell Spot Cleaner Machine. I've used it for several reasons.

Russ and I are barely speaking right now. I snapped at him yesterday when he began one of his "preaching moments" about something I said. He thinks he is the authority on everything. Is this a male thing or a Russ thing? My ex thought he was always right too. I've seen my sons do the same thing to their partners and to me. I'm tired of being made to feel like my ideas are not good, I don't know what I'm talking about, or I'm being negative because I don't believe something. This has been my whole life from my mother to my husbands. Just venting...

TGIF. Have a good Friday.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Maybe something in the air? I unloaded last night on Bernie. There has been very little for fresh groceries in the house this week and I finally asked if he was getting any food before Zach came home (or for the rest of us). He's like - where's the list? I snap back - why do I have to make the list? Then I unloaded on a bunch of things. I am still snapping today.

At least it's Friday. And Zach is home! Just having him in the house is nice.