The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,236 Member
    Options
    I went back and test rode the used bike today. I rode it up and down hills in town. I didn't realize town was so hilly too! I bought it. They are giving it a once order and ordered me a key for the battery. I'll pick it up when that comes in. Now I can ride as soon as the trail is clear and get some good exercise.

We are expecting a storm to roll in tonight and tomorrow. Hope we get new snow. I want to snow shoe with fresh snow.

Did you get the storm?

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We got the storm. It is still snowing but not blowing. Nice to have fresh snow and I love to watch it fall.

Of course my adventure to ride the bike and then take a walk with Russ and the dog caused me to have muscle pain in my calf and ankle. Why can't I do anything that is good for me without pain? I hope that bike helps me be active and get in shape without crippling me in the process.

Zooming with MN friends this morning. There was a recipe for a cherry smoothie in the newspaper so I'm going to use some of the fresh frozen cherries from summer to make one before Zooming.

TGIF!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Yeah - unemployment is under 3%.

Wow! You did a lot of looking and trying and researching on your bike. It sounds like you made really good progress especially considering the limited availability. That used one sounds pretty enticing. Good luck!

MMmmmm. Waffles. I love waffles. And french toast. And donuts. And, and, and. ;>)

We had two or three inches Thursday so another yucky day there. And the cold is moving in with two bands coming this weekend of one to four each day. Boo.

Zach did come home! I am so happy to see him. We'll worry about getting him back later. For now, I am just enjoying having him here.

Have a great night!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Russ has spent the week pulling off old caulk and grout on our shower floor in the master bath. He then regrouted the floor and has recaulked around the base. Right now he is cleaning the door tracks and going to put up the doors again so we can use it. It isn't perfect but looks so much better and clean. Hopefully he is still motivated to caulk around both tubs. Over the years the caulk became brittle and yellowed. I'm guessing no one recaulked in many years. The owner's grown children did half-assed fixes with clear caulk to seal up cracks. Lazy... It didn't fix the cracks esthetically just sealed them off. Why not use white caulk and do it right?

Yesterday I went over to my sisters and changed the sheets on my brother's bed, dusted and vacuumed his room. She cleaned the bathroom. It gets pretty messy and dirty because he is sloppy, self catheterizes and just piles his mail every where. Ahead of time, I asked her to leave after we were done so I could talk to him about hospice, giving notice to terminate his lease on his house, selling his car, and paying for a large dumpster to get rid of all the stuff we have pulled out of his house. The talk went well so we are moving ahead with ordering a dumpster and finishing up this month. He wanted a couple of days to think about the car and said he was going to give notice to the landlords this week. Progress! We talked about other things too just to chat. I did ask him if hospice has given him a time line for the end and he said yes. He choked up and wouldn't tell me what they said to him or he couldn't remember. I think he does but can't say it. I talked to him about his breathy voice and asked if he is having trouble getting air at times. He said yes he does. His color is gray and his voice is breathy and weaker.

As I was driving out of my sister's road she was turning in. There was a car behind her so we couldn't linger. She rolled down her window and asked if we talked and how it went. I said yes and it went well. She made a funny face and drove on. I think my sister's are adjusting to the fact that I'm not afraid to bring up the hard subjects and talk to him and that it goes well. They don't have a good approach but can't see that. It bothers them that he snaps at them and gets angry. I have 30 years of training bringing up hard news to parents and all handle their grief differently. It took me a few years to learn that I had to say the hard stuff and the listener chooses how they respond. Grief plays a huge part in their response. Some take charge and say lets get this done and others get angry, cry and/or boot you out of the house. Either way, their choice. Same goes for my brother and how he responds to others.

Well it is still snowing here and we have a lot of beautiful snow. Too cold to snow shoe today but I'm hoping for tomorrow.

Enjoy your Sunday and time with Z.
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's good you have the experience and the emotional fortitude to have the hard talks. I know it would not be a good fit for me. Still, I'm sure it was emotional for you too. Take care of yourself.

Zach is already back at Wayne. Bernie decided last night that he should go back Saturday night before the next round of snow moved in. It was the right move, but I wasn't ready for him to leave, we were having such a nice visit. Ooofff - feeling rather emotional this weekend. Must be a hormonal weekend.

Caleb had to work late Friday night, get up early for the ACT Saturday, work late Saturday night and then works this afternoon. Poor guy. Rough weekend. He is exhausted and crabby. I have been trying to keep ahead of him and have food - did lasagna Friday (for both him and Zach) - got up early Saturday to do egg casserole, made a turkey breast Saturday but he wasn't interested.

More snow coming in and even colder temps. Bleh
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Cold here and windchill is in negative single digits. Sun is out but I haven't ventured out to see if snow shoeing is possible. I don't want Charlie or my face to freeze, nor do I want to get all the gear on and come in a few minutes later. It may be a working on the photo album day.

I told you a bought a waffle maker a few weeks age. This morning I tried one of the recipes in the little recipe book that comes with it. It was hashbrown waffles. Egg, green onion, sausage crumbles, milk, sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. We had sour cream, Frank's hot sauce, and salsa as optional toppings. They were good and filling. I won't be eating until dinner whatever that may be. Fun little appliance!

I used the shower this morning. It looks 90% better than it did. I would love to retile the shower or at the minimum regrout all the tile but someday in the future.

We've had a lot of snow so Russ is snow blowing my brother's driveway. We are moving ahead with a dumptster next week if we can get one. Rory will be here so we will have some young muscle.

Too bad Z had to go back a day early but you would have worried if he was driving in bad weather too. I'm glad you got to see him. It sounds like C is pretty driven and has a busy life. Does he hang with friends or have a good friend he likes to do things with? I like small groups like 1-3 friends or less so you get to know one another. Book club and knitting are fun but the talks are a little loud with too many people.

Happy Monday!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Sooo cold. Today was 19 below, and it's going to worse for the next few days. This is an unusually long stretch for such cold.

I'm glad you are pleased with your shower.

Just plugging through and trying to keep everyone warm.

Poor Caleb has to work temperature Tuesday. Runza's winter special is always that on Tuesday's the price of a regular Runza is the temperature at 6 a.m. (you have to buy a fry and drink). But people go crazy for it - so tonight will surely be even more insane - free food. People go cuckoo for free. Even if they have to buy the sides all they see is free.

My dad had his first shot (moderna) last week and mom is scheduled for Friday I believe. I am actually pretty surprised that they are vaccinating (my mom particularly) - they can be pretty non-conforming. I.e. all the pandemic rules they didn't follow.

Warm thoughts
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It is still snowing and cold here too. Our cold is not as severe as you but the windchill is in the negative single digits but it is brisk.

I worked on Jeff's album for the whole afternoon the other day. I'm moving into sports, high school events such as homecoming, prom and graduation. Then it is done. I need to go to the pole barn to find another box of photos. I'll wait until it warms a little bit.

This morning I may make baked apple fritter donuts. I found a recipe on Pinterest and want to try them. They look really easy. One way to eat fruit, haha!

The dumpster has been ordered to be dropped off 2/17. We will have it until the 27th. I just want this house clean out to be over. I have no idea what we will be doing with the furniture no one wants or is too good to dump. I don't want to store in our pole barn because it becomes our problem and expense.

I have never been to Runza's. I've heard of it. I agree that people love free stuff or getting a great deal whether they need or really want it. People with shopping disease/hoarding can't resist a deal. Why spend money on stuff to be stored and not used or loved?

Well half way through your work week! Stay warm.

Jenny

• jrbanta
    Options
    The baked fritters turned out good but not as decadent as the fried fritters at the bakery. Ill use the air fryer next time.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I did my book study discussion with my MN friend this morning. We are reading Caste by Isabella Wilkerson. Then I met my sisters at my brother's house to tag furniture for dumpster, Goodwill, or take. We went through paperwork we had separated a month ago to try to determine his assets in case he needs to go into nursing care. What a mess!

Now I'm baking Banana-Nut-Raisin Oatmeal Muffins from Eating Well. Here's the link they don't have flour and I added raisins with the nuts. They make a good breakfast muffin with coffee, juice or tea. Dense and filling.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/274166/baked-banana-nut-oatmeal-cups/

Enjoy if you make them. They are moist and dense but tasty.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    The apple fritter treat sounds yummy. I LOVE a good apple fritter.

Oh, it is so freakin' cold. And it's supposed to be even worse Saturday, and worse Sunday and worse Monday. Holy mother.

We had a fire in the plant Thursday. The paintline had a fire in one of the ovens. It was pretty bad. They even evacuated the plant. Outside - in the below zero. Nasty. Fortunately they let them come in the cafeteria pretty quick. But it's a mess. We are looking at at least four days down in the paintline which affects all business units, but especially Behlen Country and we are already so behind. Sigh. People are working so hard, and we just can't get ahead. Heck working so hard our machines burst into flames! There's always something.

Poor Caleb is back at work. I wish we could all just hunker down this weekend - but I'll be spending most of worried about Caleb being out in this nastiness. My garage door broke today when I got home. Bernie is out there trying to fix it. It's snowing again too. And tiger and bears!

Maybe there is a place that can take the furniture.

And hey isn't Rory going to be there soon? YAY!!!

It's a mess of a day/week - but TGIF!!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Rory arrives tomorrow. I still need to clean the bathroom and make his bed, vacuum his room. I'll do that tomorrow. He won't arrive until late afternoon or early evening.

I made an organic veggie curry sauce and am taking a big container to my brother this morning. Russ and I will have it over rice for dinner tonight. I'm going to stop and pick up Naan Bread for both households.

It continues to snow with no end in sight. I think it is suppose to get more heavy sometime tonight. Temp is above zero but windchill is below. MN friends are miserable this past week or so with the extreme temps and windchill. I imagine it is the same where you are in NE. Northerners are tough!

Today is Karah's baby shower (Jeff's fiance). Since I couldn't go to GA for the shower, they are zooming me in for the gift opening this afternoon. I'm glad I can be apart of it. Before COVID, we wouldn't have thought to do this (not even sure Zoom existed then).

Well I must get bundled up to pick up the bread and deliver the food to my brother.

Have a great weekend! Stay warm and safe.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I love all the yummy cooking you are posting lately! I have never tried curry - not sure about it since I have such a bland palate I guess I call it. I don't even like black pepper.

I'm glad you can at least attend the shower via Zoom.

It sounds like it is plenty nasty up your way too. It's feeling like 2021 is trying make sure it's not going to be better. No!

Stay warm!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Having a nice lazy Sunday. I can't believe Ash Wednesday is this week - I think right? Crazy. I am so disconnected from church. Went one time this summer and before that was probably March. It's probably safe enough to go back - but I am finding it hard to find the energy to go. I know the longer I don't go the harder it will be.

I got Zach's taxes done yesterday and I am harassing Caleb about where his w-2 is. I keep asking if they are mailed or if he has to go to his payroll site and download. His will be super simple, but I don't want to miss the free filing turbo tax has for the ez filers. I got started on mine as well. Exciting day. Taxes.

My garage door decided it was too cold and sprung some stuff. Bad deal. Bernie was out a few times trying to fix.

If we can muster through today and tomorrow the temps should start coming up after that. Thank goodness.

Watching Home Town re-runs again. I am turning into quite a fan girl.

Having a bit of panic and poor me again today - after doing my normal Sunday shower I had a big freak out about seeing way more scalp again and feeling another noticeable decrease in overall hair quantity. It's still just fading away. Sniff.

Ah well - stay cozy
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I love Hometown. I like the way they re-use the wood and other items from the houses and go to other locations to salvage. She has amazing design talent and use of color. I would like to visit that town on the way to the beach sometime.

Our garage door use to do that in MN when we had these cold snaps. Either it wouldn't open at all or something would break. Frustrating when you need to leave for work.

Rory should be here in 1-2 hours depending on if he hits snowy roads coming across MI from interstate 75. We are 1-1/2 hours from freeways so no easy way to get here. Two lane state roads can be slow with snow but probably not much traffic. He likes to cruise a little faster so takes the interstate and then crosses over on state roads to Traverse City. Can be slow either way.

Russ just put Hometown on so I'm watching it now.

I hope your hair begins to come in again by spring. It freaked me out when it happened to me too. My hair is back to normal now.

Russ visited my brother today to discuss selling Steve's car, the cost of the dumpster and changing his address with the USPS. He didn't get to complete the conversation because my oldest sister showed up and joined the conversation and Steve seems to have problems processing how bad his house was and selling his car. When my sisters join in and interrupt, nothing gets accomplished. Steve is easier to communicate with one to one. He doesn't see why we needed a dumpster. Russ told him there is a lot of garbage (old papers, etc.) and he doesn't get it. He offered to go with Russ to the house and see what he could do to help. He is in a wheel chair and there is no ramp to get in and there are stairs up and down. He also doesn't understand why the USPS makes you go online, pay $1 and change your address that way. It turns out he hasn't paid his bills since November, ran out of checks and didn't order them, and couldn't use his credit card to pay online due to past due payments. They are shut down. Obviously hasn't linked bill paying to his bank account. He didn't commit to selling the car (in our pole barn) because he wonders if he will be able to drive eventually. Is it the opiodes, denial that he is terminal and now in a wheel chair, or that he is living in the '70's instead of the 2000's? Wow!

Well back to Hometown...have a nice Monday.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    OK, Rory is driving way too fast! He just arrived and it is just 6pm He lost an hour getting here but made it in 11 hours. My record when I was in my 20's was 10.5. I guess he is like his Mom when driving!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm guessing it is probably a mixture of all those things with your brother. Tough stuff.

Oy this cold snap. Are you having rolling blackouts done by the power company because of all the cold, snow, etc in the power district? We have been getting pleas to lower thermostats and such to ease the demand. There have been a few short blackouts to ease their issues. It's scary because of how cold it is, but I don't want them to have a significant issue. I heart electricity. Texas and OK are in rough shape. And that's saying something when we are having record low temps. Two days of no school - it was something like 26 below this morning - before the wind chill - so around 40 below. Scary cold. Sitting at the stop light I have been scared my car was going to die.

Yay for Rory getting home to you.

Enjoy your time.

Cold go away!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Starting to warm up to teens, twenties and 30's by next week. Hope to snow shoe tomorrow if not in the single digits. It's great to have Rory here. He enjoys lazing around right now. Tomorrow the dumpster will arrive at Steve's and Rory and my niece's husband will go on Thursday to put the ratty furniture in it. Then the garbage will follow. 10 days and this will be over with the house.

Just reading and watching 24 on Amazon. Rory and I use to watch this show together when it first aired. We are watching again and it's funny to see the special effects, technology on the show, etc in the early 2000's compared to now.

Our power has been fine here. Our cold snap is not as severe as yours. Stay warm and be careful when outside.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I enjoyed 24 too. I didn't start watching it until it was almost over so I got to watch the first few seasons on dvds which was fun to not have to wait each week.

Ah, heat wave, it was 3 degrees this morning. Should be 34 by the weekend. Then the next mess, all the melting. Hopefully no flooding. But, there sure is a lot to melt.

My word, it is dire in Texas. I didn't realize they are basically an energy island until I did some reading today. They are not in the public power. Boy did their group let them down.

My nephews pipe froze yesterday. Poor guy, first house. Hopefully nothing bursts. It sounds like around here getting a plumber out is four plus weeks.

Temperature Tuesday was another insane fiasco yesterday. They told the kids working if they didn't park in the lot they could get two free meals - and most had to park two blocks away at the hotel. We drove him. The cars were lined up back to Hobby Lobby which is like probably the equivalent of five or six blocks - oh and on the highway. Nuts. Just nuts.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how many politicians that are owned by the energy companies in Texas get re-elected when their term is up. I didn't know they were independent either. It's bad down there but my empathy gene hasn't kicked in yet. I know they aren't prepared for the extremes but they need to get in the game. For the last 6 years or more, the south has become colder in the winter with crazy weather. Torrential rains, unusually colder temperatures and some snow...wake up! We all must be very tough up here and very prepared.

The sun was out today and it was so bright and beautiful. The dumpster arrived at my brother's and tomorrow begins the filling of it. I went to my sister's today at noon to give him his mail. He was sleeping and she said he didn't feel well. This is more then norm these days. My other sister talked to a hospice nurse and her opinion is that he may only have a couple of months or slightly longer. If I was him I would want it to go quickly. It is very sad...

Why wouldn't C's work want kids to park in the lot?

Jenny