The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,710 Member
    Options
    Happy Christmas Eve! Looking at my few gifts and need to get them wrapped. Fa-la-la-la.

I made 'monkey' bread with canned cinnamon rolls. Pretty good.

Hope you are loving your family time.

Hugs.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,258 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Marla!
    It's been great having the kids here. It really improves Christmas. Rory leaves tomorrow and Jeff and Karah are here until Wednesday. We've had lots of food, relaxation, baby discussions, etc.

How about you? Did you figure out Christmas for the boys and have some time for yourself and to relax?

Off to cut pies for all. Dinner was yummy and we are sitting by the fire.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Well Christmas is once again over and looking at a sad Sunday going back to work. But, yay for another short week!

We got together with the folks and sister and family on Christmas day up in Wayne at the folks house. We'll see if it was a mistake or not. I enjoyed the time we spent together and obviously my folks were blissed out, just still feel like we did something wrong with all the calls to not gather - and of course if anyone gets sick it was a mistake. Ah well. Let it be Marla.

I'm so glad you have had such a nice time with your boys. Wonderful, wonderful!

I went to a couple of stores yesterday looking for a leftover marked down skinny tree. No luck. Guess if I really want I will have to shop earlier next year - I am looking at a few online sites right now too, but I kind of want to be able to eyeball it because some of the ones I looked at were really terrible looking and don't want to risk a horrible looking tree. Even on sale they aren't cheap.

Having the long weekend has been bliss.

take care and enjoy the family time!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It sounds like you had a nice Christmas and you won't get COVID since you probably still have some immunity. I wouldn't feel guilty. You've been careful and it wasn't a huge gathering. Russ and I and the kids (5 of us) had our own Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. My 3 siblings were at my sister's house and my oldest sister spent some time at her daughter's house in the morning to share Christmas with her grand daughter.

Rory left last Saturday the 26th to go back to MPLS. If he gets laid off in mid January due to winter slow down, he may come back in February to visit. I hope so. Jeff and Karah leave tomorrow morning early. We've had a nice time visiting my brother at my sister's house and hanging out here. They are both quiet so it is relaxing. Jeff and Rory were helpful carrying in heavy furniture I wanted in the basement and today Jeff helped bring in photo boxes and photo album stuff for me. I need to finish the photo book I started before he graduated from high school so he can have his baby pictures and compare to his own baby boy arriving in March. That is my project after they leave. I found David's book to send to him. Rory's will be the last to finish. I also found a box of "Jeff's Keepsakes" today. There were some cute little boy sun suits, etc. so they will take them back to Atlanta. Hardly worn and in good shape.

You may search out artificial Christmas trees online through Amazon and specify slim. Or search target and walmart online and see if they are also in the store too. Ours looks real but we were able to pick it out in person.

Karah and I are making a triple berry pie today. The pie filling is done and the dough is chilling. After dinner we will roll out the dough and construct it on the pie plate. Bake and eat! They can take half or more home tomorrow.

I'm hoping to do some snow shoeing soon if we get more snow. It's been a white Christmas but it's not deep enough yet. I would like to get out and exercise and enjoy the outdoors even though it is cold.

I'll write more in the next couple of days. I have to get my house back in order and buy my colon prep stuff for my colonoscopy to do on Sunday for Monday's procedure.

Stay warm and well,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Oo - colonoscopy - I do say I am not looking foward to that particular test.

We are having quite the snow today. The forecast was very vague of "3-6" but it definitely seems like more has come down already. I made it in to work in spite of being out before most of the plows - and coming home was a little better. Hopefully tomorrow morning is ok. Thankfully the boys scooped our driveway. They did a great job. I just pulled in.

What a nice visit for you guys!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    trying to get things filled out and processed for Caleb's passport on the off-chance his Europe trip isn't canceled next summer. Sigh. He wants this so bad. I want it for him. Come on world.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Happy New Years Eve!!

• jrbanta
    Options
    Happy New Year 2021! May this year be much better for all. Hope C does get to take his trip in 2021.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Happy 2021. Just be better. Enjoying a lazy day. I stressed myself worrying about filling the forms out right for the passport and how hard it would be to get an appointment for the passport and how long it would take. Well I spent way more time being anxious. I got him an appointment yesterday at the post office and we did spend a good amount of time trying to fill out the form correctly - and then Bernie took him and his documents to the post office and they were done in about 15 minutes. I really didn't think it would go that fast. Hopefully it comes back smoothly.

Have a great weekend!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    another blissed out lazy day. Sad day tomorrow - last day off. Then back to 'normal'. Boo.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I've been lazy since Christmas. Russ asked that we keep the tree up a week past New Year's. He likes the lights and ambiance. I'll start putting things away next weekend. I've been reading, made some roasted pecans for my brother that I delivered, and taking naps. Jeff and Karah went to an 3D/4D ultrasound place on Saturday and were able to see their baby in the womb, facial features and all. Jeff has not been able to go in to appts with Karah due to COVID so she scheduled and paid for this procedure so they could both see the baby. The detail is amazing and you can see what he looks like. They sent me some of the best pictures. He was either sucking his thumb or holding his hands on his cheeks or chin. Lots of funny facial expressions that make him look like he is thinking deeply and pondering a problem. He may be just like his parents! So exciting and amazing what they can do with technology these days.

Today I am doing colonoscopy prep so no food for me unless it is clear jello, broth or bouillion. I start the Dulcolax at noon, again at 5pm and drink the Gatorade and Miralax solution between 5 and 6pm. Then I have to get up at 2:15am and drink another round of the Gatorade solution with 8oz glasses of water following. I haven't had this procedure since I was 46. I've had screenings that were negative but since it has been 13 years my doctor wanted me to have the whole procedure. The prep is way worse than the colonoscopy itself. It will all be over by noon tomorrow. Today I see naps, reading and TV on my agenda while running to the bathroom frequently. Happy Sunday!

Well I hope your holiday week was wonderful and relaxing.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Last day and then back to heck. Ah well. Can't say we accomplished anything, just enjoyed the time off and being around my boys was very nice.

I'm so glad you got to see the enhanced ultrasound and really get that peek at your g-baby. How special. What an amazing time in your life.

Good luck with the prep.

Gotta try to get my eating under control. The scale is going to break if I don't reign it in.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Colonoscopy was normal so happy about that. That prep before was nasty but I didn't get too hungry due to all the fluid intake. I slept most of the afternoon and then went to bed at 9:30 last night. I had a dull head and back ache from the procedure and anesthesia. Thank God I don't need one for another 10 years.

Has Z gone back to school yet? I'm glad you got time with them. It was nice having the kids around at Christmas and now the house is so quiet.

My brother turns 72 today. I took him chocolate chip cookies and a card. We are going to have pizza night Saturday eve to celebrate with him. No cooking, no clean up, just pizza and salad that Russ and I pick up locally. My sister is making a carrot cake. Easy peasy!

Russ' foot and ankle are really hurting. I think he has over done how much he is on it. He walks Charlie twice per day and has been in the pole barn building work benches in his shop. He has also grocery shopped and made trips to Home Depot. I pointed that out but he doesn't think it has anything to do with it. Men are in such denial about their issues.

Well cheers to another work week. I need to get started on my projects such as painting furniture, finishing Jeff's photo scrap book, and putting carpet pads on the wood steps leading downstairs. Lazy me!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    My digestion is struggling to get back to normal after the colon prep. Yesterday I had half a sandwich and some Costco Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch and left over stir fry with steak and asparagas for dinner. I drank a diet Pepsi so all in all I experienced stomach/intestinal cramping/bloating by 9:30 at night. I'm afraid to eat this morning. I'm drinking coffee but my stomach is still gurgling now that I put something in it.

I am working on gradual weight loss by reducing portions, thinking twice about second portions and eating small amounts of food more frequently so I don't overload my system. I'm also trying to increase my water intake. One walk a day with Charlie (half a mile at this point) needs to happen for some movement. If we get more snow I want to snow shoe our property and other trails. Since we moved here I have lost 19 pounds but each pound is a battle to lose. Laurie and I are suppose to start exercising again sometime this month. That will help burn some fat.

Jeff and Karah are getting married next Fall in Ashville, NC if they can find a venue. They hope to have moved to Ashville by then too. I want to be another 20-30 pounds down by then. I was very over weight in David and Chantrelle's wedding pictures and I hate looking at myself that heavy.

Russ' foot is better today and he says he will take it easy. He's using his cane to give his foot some relief.

I portaled with Chantrelle and Halen last night. She really looks like David this week. She is a sleepy baby during the day. Chantrelle and I talked about the adjustment to having your first child and how it changes your role and routines. She is use to independence, outdoor adventures, and going constantly.

Well I hope your work week is going well after the holidays.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm glad your friend is almost ready to start exercising again. And congrats on the weight loss you have had! That is tremendous! I am back up to where I was a few years ago, and so mad at myself. I am trying to get back on track. I am wondering if I am having the 'lasting' Covid issues because I am having such a hard time getting back to where I was in terms of exercise. I mean I wasn't an athlete or anything - but I was doing a solid 40 minutes on my machines five days a week and now I am dying trying to get to 30 on the easiest tension.

Glad your colonoscopy went well. I only have a couple more years until that one.

Zach is going back Saturday. He is so excited to see his friends again. He has friends!!! After so many years of him dreading school because he felt all alone, this feels like heaven. Love.

Also love that the boys (Caleb finally relenting his long held desire to punish Zach for not playing with him enough when he was little) spent hours and hours over break talking and playing cards. Love!

It must be so hard not to have snuggled that baby in person yet, but so glad you at least get to 'see' her in video.

• jrbanta
    Options
    I'm sorry you still feel like you aren't back to normal. Do you get short of breath when you exercise or just feel weaker? I believe my gradual weight loss has been because my appetite has decreased and I'm not accessing fast food 5 days per week while working from my car and going to people's homes. Yesterday I used my walking sticks and took Charlie up on our acreage to hike through the snow and let him run. I was out about 30 minutes or so. Certainly not aerobic or long lasting but I was moving and using my weak leg muscles. I just need to do this more often. I am considering purchasing an e-bike with the battery operated motor assist. I could ride the trails around here that are very hilly with a little more ease and get some aerobic activity. Those bikes are expensive but my knees don't hurt to ride a bike and if I continued to lose weight that's a win for my joints. I'll have to see if any are available. I know they were hard to find last season and COVID is still here.

Do you get a lunch break at work where you can go outside and take a 10 minute walk? That may be a way to add to your aerobic exercise in shorter increments. I've read that 3-4 10 minute walks is as effective as 30-45 minutes consecutive on a treadmill or elliptical.

Good news for Z to have friends he enjoys and to the boys for having some fun together. It just gets better as they get older. It's also fun to observe how they mature, listen to their own developing viewpoints, and see what their life decisions will be. You are at an amazing stage of being a parent. I remember 10 years ago when they were little you would get so frustrated about school performance and how they spent their time. Now you can see that all progresses and they grow in to amazing young men.

Well it is a crazy time in this country. What a broken political system/government we have...

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I know - so much hope for 2021 - it's not starting out too swimmingly! Just have to hold on - some more.

Hard to do a full week after two short weeks. Also hard because the Z kid takes off tomorrow. Sniff. Nah. Only a little bit hard. I so love how excited he is.

Just got all sorts of anxious and stressed. Came home to two letters - one from the homeowners insurance company saying it hadn't had it's bill paid (always paid via the escrow) and one from the new mortgage company saying we didn't have homeowners anymore and they were purchasing us some and giving us a penalty. What the *&^! So after a couple hours of calls (and a CRAP load of anxiety). Delayed mail processing, the change in loan processors, not getting the bill - blah, blah, blah -finger pointing - Yes, the loan processor is sending the money in the escrow to the insurance company today and no, I am not currently without coverage as the letters made it seem. GAWD. It better go through. I shouldn't have to unscrew their wires.

I think I deserve a cocktail.

Happy Friday!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    You have had more than your share of stuff happening these past months. I hope your home owners insurance gets worked out.

My sisters and I met at my brother's house today. We started on the lower level. It will take us several more trips to get that level in some semblance of order. I was so dusty with dust bunnies hanging off me that I stripped in the laundry room and went straight to the shower when I got home. I've spent the day watching documentaries about people in the music industry. Right now I'm watching one on Bob Dylan. Strange guy! That whole era in the 60's and 70's of LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs was something. How many brain cells did they extinguish?

Russ made an amazing dinner of pork loin, rice and a bok choy side. He's been cooking really healthy meals from my healing cookbooks and others he finds. I told him he should keep them in a folder on his computer and recycle them every two weeks. I don't feel too full and typically feel pretty good after I eat the meal. They don't make me feel lethargic and over fed. I'm trying to not eat second portions but tonight I did because it was so good. I still don't feel full.

Tomorrow I will take down more Christmas decorations and on Sunday I will pack them up in their boxes. I have a good start. We have our birthday dinner for my brother tomorrow eve. I imagine it is his last birthday so that feels sad.

Tomorrow is suppose to be really nice so I'm going to take a nice hike with Charlie again.

Enjoy your weekend and try to forget about work.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm sorry that it feels like your brothers last birthday. That is so hard.

How nice that Russ is cooking so much and they are delicious and healthy. What an amazing combination!

Have a great weekend hike with Charlie and maybe you will also get a good lead on the electric bike.

The C kid was so tired last night. It was the official end of 1st semester so he had a HUGE week with tests and projects and also worked too last night. I can tell how tired he is by how much he talks. He talks more, the more tired he gets. He wanted to talk and talk and talk last night at 10 p.m. He was also hungry and still had an essay still to do (not due until midnight). So I said I would cook something for him if he would get to work so he could get to bed. But he just sat there and talked and talked. I love talking to him, but knew he was just shot. He ate and drank a mountain dew and then finally got to work. Still breaking out in conversation randomly. He's such a hard worker.

Good luck at your party.

Hugs.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Oh - don't know if I had talked about thinking I was losing more hair than normal, possibly due to a stress reaction from COVID, but just discovered Bernie is also rocking a pretty big bare spot too. Yikes. I wonder if some supplements are in order. He has always had a thick head of hair.