The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,803 Member
    I’m so glad things are going better for your sister. Your excursion sounds like a wonderful day!

Tomorrow is a cousin’s graduation open house in Omaha. Last I checked nobody is interested in going with. So that’s a bummer and a bummer. I need to get used to it, but yeah it hurts when they are living here but won’t spend anytime with me meh
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,345 Member
    Are there any fun places to go that aren't related to family events that you could plan to do as a family? Hiking trails and a picnic, meal on a cool restaurant patio, boat excursion on a river...? Do you have a friend you enjoy spending time with that would do fun things with you?

My sister and I are riding our bikes on a very hilly trail today. This is only my second ride of the season so we will see how I feel during and after. It is a beautiful day and will be around 70 degrees.

Russ is making progress on the deck railing. The posts are up so now he needs to build the panels with the metal grids. We've decided he will build an herb box on one end by the door to the house that is as high as the railing. Not sure if it will happen or if it will merge with the design of the railing. I really just wanted the railing in that section but he is resistant for some reason.

Nice for you to have a long weekend!

• jrbanta
    The bike ride was beautiful today. We rode 22 miles and had perfect weather. I'm not even tired or sore as of yet. I think aquafit classes are helping with that.

Special plans tomorrow? I will go to the chiropractor in the morning and then plant my garden and pots. Outdoor day!

• jrbanta
    Productive day for me. I went to the chiropractor and then headed home to plant my pots and garden. I decided to do more pots so I had to go to the nursery to get more potting soil. I potted two three large pots and two tiny pots. When we return from Mpls I will plant two more for the back deck or by the garage. I got carried away this year. After doing the pots, I went out to the garden to spread more top soil, pull out some of the overgrown chive plants, and add more compost. Hot sun and heavy bags! I was able to manage the heavy bags of topsoil but it wore me out so I will have to spread more compost tomorrow and plant on Wednesday. I won't make it to Power Books or Aqua Fit this week. Too much to do. I still need to pack and do a bit more laundry.

Russ is going slow with the deck railing. He tires easily. We have his cardiologist appt when we return. I wonder what they will say? Fingers crossed it is not time for surgery.

Russ is grilling pork chops, making skinny taste potato salad and baked beans for our dinner tonight. Tomorrow I take Lynn to PT and then we will put the hanging baskets at the cemetery.

Summer has definitely arrived here. Lots of tourists this weekend and the weather is hot and sunny. We need rain!
  • mizpaden74
    Holy crap - I feel so bad today. If I am getting sick - the timing is just terrible! I have been shivering off and on and can barely keep my eyes open counting the minutes until I can leave. I absolutely have to go home and take a nap. No bueno
  • jrbanta
    It sounds like you are getting sick. Go home and get some rest. Isn't the shower soon?

I took my sister to PT today. We were suppose to go to the cemetery together afterwards to put up the hanging pots. When I stopped to get her she was in a lot of pain so I suggested I take her to PT and then home. I would go alone to the cemetery. Normally she would not agree but she did. However, I had to take a picture of the pots and send it to her after I got them up. She has to like what she sees. She is a week post surgery and her hip and leg hurt quite a bit. I think this is normal but she is miserable. She is so weak due to no physical activity in her adult life and weak muscles and joints hurt all the time. I'm not so sure her recovery is going to be great. Another 1-2 weeks will tell how it is going to go.

I just got my first pedicure for summer. My feet always feel so good afterwards.

Tomorrow morning I am going to add more compost to my garden tubs and get the plants and seeds into them. Russ will work along side me to place the irrigation spigots so we can water on the sprinkler system. We leave Thursday morning for Mpls. I still need to pack. I will start tonight. I think it will be really hot there so shorts, capris and a light comfy dress for me.

Do you have Airborne or Zicam to pump Zinc into your body so you zap your illness? I always find it works for me to begin taking one of them when I feel my first symptoms. My illness is mild and short.

Feel better soon!
  • mizpaden74
    Yes, the shower is Sunday - so the timing of whatever is plaguing me is stupendously terrible. I just hope it passes by Saturday. Otherwise, I guess they have to call each person individually and give them a new location? Oh Lord.

I forgot those immunity powders. I used to take Emergen-c often, then it got to find and I just kind of forgot about. I asked Caleb to do some errands for me including picking some up.

I'm sorry your sister is feeling so unwell. I hope her PT will help. I could my dad was in a lot of pain the graduation party on Sunday. I hate seeing that for him, but again, he has to do what he doesn't want to do (lose weight) to begin to help himself.

More fantastic news. Bernie texted me this morning that Friday is his last day at Vishay. They are letting him go. While it's good he has been out looking and interviewing already, nothing has materialized for an offer, so I am once again going to be the only person working. I just can't with this. It feels really hopeless that the situation(s) aren't going to change. While I don't think they gave him all the 'tools' he needed (I mean literally only two weeks with the guy he replaced who had been there 30 years) and four bosses in less than a year, but they believe he isn't performing up to their standards. I just want to be able to start thinking of not working and this keeps happening. I'm going to be one of those 90-year old Walmart workers who can't stand or walk unassisted but still has to work. Pity party. Pity party for one.
  • jrbanta
    Wow! This stress you have coming at you has to end soon. You have had more than your share of it. I hope C found some Zinc or Vitamin C for you. I believe it helps me quite a bit. I hope you can manage the shower without having to change everything. Large amounts of stress and worry may weaken your immune system and make you susceptible to illness...

Was Bernie so miserable he wasn't exhibiting a good work ethic and/or was it poor training on the company's part? I hope he finds something soon for your sake. Sorry you are going through this again, you don't deserve it.

I planted the garden today but was missing the Italian Parsley and Oregano plants that I bought. I searched my flower tags and they weren't there. I texted Kathy and they got mixed up with her flowers and then she gave them to a friend who she thought bought them when they shopped for plants together a couple of days before she and I did. They were riding around in her friend's husband's truck until I texted her. They have been all over the county but I got them back this evening. I put them with my flower pots so they get hit by the sprinklers or eaten by bunnies while we are gone. My pots are all lined up on the front sidewalk so the sprinklers water them. It looks like a rabbit/deer vegetable buffet!

Russ and I went out for an early dinner. I did some cleaning today so we can return to a semi clean house. My Roomba did all the vacuuming and I steam mopped the kitchen. I will make our lunches for tomorrow before bed tonight. We like using the Bento Boxes like we did for our FL trip. Light eating and satisfying. I am going to make turkey, lettuce and pico roll ups, add grapes, cheese sticks, nuts, and olives to the box. We also have some Kind Bars too.

We plan to leave about 4am so that we get to our hotel by 3/3:30pm. We should be able to get over the Mackinac Bridge to the upper peninsula of MI without being stopped by road construction back up. I am tired now from the sun, heat and gardening so I'll go to bed early tonight.

I will take my computer so I will check in with you in the next couple of days. I hope you feel better and get through the shower without changes. Bernie and Z need to do their own job searches and applications. Try not to stress over them too much. Go for lunch with your sister, take a good walk, or work in the dirt with flowers to de-stress. Hugs to you!
  • jrbanta
    We made it to Mpls by 2pm, left at 4am our time. Checked in early and then went out to dinner with Rory and Hannah. They work tomorrow so we visited for awhile and then they dropped us back at the hotel. We are relaxing and waiting for a decent time to go to sleep. Tomorrow is the retirement lunch for my friend and then we will go to Rory and Hannah's for dinner tomorrow eve.

My sister Lynn texted that my other sister, Becky, was cleaning her pool and fell against a built in bench she has on the pool deck. She had to call 911 and they took her to the ER. She is still waiting to be seen but probably broke at least one rib. They did xrays but she hasn't seen a doctor yet. It's going to be a long night for her. Health issues with my sisters and Russ are ramping up. Before long I will be a mobile caregiver.

Russ' cardiologist appointment is the 14th. I hope we don't find he needs surgery sooner than later. He plans to talk with Rory about it while we are here. It is hereditary and Rory needs to be aware that Russ has the congenital condition in case his doctor wants to do an echocardiogram as a baseline.

Well I'm going to read and eventually shower off the travel grime.

TGIF!!
  • mizpaden74
    I forgot he hadn’t had his appointment yet.

I am still sick. Holy cow. I don’t know what that heck I am going to do about the shower. My fever still hasn’t broke. It was 104 this morning. Even three advil didn’t take it all the way down. This is a mess
  • jrbanta
    Can your sister transfer it to her house or a room at your church? Someone must be able to help out due to your circumstances. Put out some feelers... Sorry you feel so lousy.

I am showered and dressed for the retirement lunch. A friend is picking me up at 12:30 outside the hotel. Russ took the car to look for a new computer for me and to check out his old stomping grounds. The restaurant is Italian so they have some heavy meals. I'm planning on either half salad and half sandwich or small salad with an order of crab cakes. We are having stuffed shells at Rory and Hannah's tonight so I don't want to eat pasta for lunch.

89 degrees today and partly cloudy which is a good thing.

Feel better soon!

• mizpaden74
    I just feel like such a failure. I wanted to make something nice for my niece and now it’s going to be this big cluster. Sigh. If I had any tears available I’d be crying. I’m so dehydrated. I have had three bottles of electrolytes and still am dehydrated
  • mizpaden74
    Michele and I texted. I’ll have the boys do the final shopping. Set up tables then hose down the house with Lysol and then go hide in Michele’s basement and let her and the other two aunts host. I don’t have the house as ready as I want but I think this is the best I am going to do. It still sucks
  • jrbanta
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for you after all the thought and planning you put in to the shower. It's not your fault you got sick so don't blame yourself. Stuff happens.

The luncheon was nice. Several speech pathologists from work were missing but they probably still had work to do at their jobs. I had the chopped chicken salad and a small piece of foccacia bread. My friend picked me up and dropped me off and I'm glad because I am not use to driving the freeways anymore.

Hannah didn't feel well tonight so we didn't go there for dinner. She stayed home and Rory picked us up to go to our favorite Thai restaurant. I hope she feels better because she feels bad that she is sick when we are here. We just want her to rest but she feels bad she is ill. Not her fault.

My sisters are going to be the death of me. The one that broke her ribs asked the one that had hip replacement to give her some of her prescription pain meds because her pain is so bad and she is double dosing and is running out of her own prescription! WTH! Lynn didn't give her anything but Becky had the nerve to ask for the pain pills. Becky never has any empathy for Lynn and I with our chronic joint pain, surgeries, etc. but now that she is in pain, the drama has begun. I'm happy to be in Mpls.

Why are you dehydrated? Are you vomiting or having intestinal stuff?
  • mizpaden74
    That was a terrible thing of one sister to ask of another. Yikes.

It’s too bad Hannah is sick. But I get how she feels. I feel like a failure. Not only not being able to work ( not looking good for Monday either) but missing the shower. It’s also because everything is weirdly emotional. I have no idea why I’m so dehydrated. I have drank way more than I normally do and making it a point to make it electrolytes. Maybe because of the constant fevers? I mean they only go down when the advil or Tylenol is active. Why do I keep getting this dang plague. I have had most of the shots and when I got it in November it was only a few days. Now this is feeling as bad or worse as the first time. So bad

Have fun
  • jrbanta
    Did you test positive for Covid again? Yuk! I'm sorry you missed the shower today but your family must understand. At least there was a plan B.

Hannah felt better yesterday but was coughing again by last night. Russ and I went to a couple of stores we don't have and out to breakfast in the morning. It is hot here and we didn't feel like driving around the city or visiting with people, so we relaxed and waited for Rory and Hannah to get done with their morning event they had to go to. We went to their apartment at 4:30 and Hannah made stuffed shells, Caesar Salad, and garlic bread. We had a nice dinner, relaxed in the AC, and chatted. We headed back to our hotel about 9pm (10pm our time), showered and crashed. Today they are picking us up for brunch and then we are going to the MN Twins game with Rory, Hannah and her parents (our mother's and father's day gifts from Rory and Hannah). It will be sunny and very hot at the game. I have my first layer of sun screen applied and will apply more before we leave in a bit.

Rest and try to sleep today. Let your body heal. I hope you feel better soon.
  • mizpaden74
    I can’t believe this keeps happening to me.

There are footsteps out there I can hear.

Bernie has done a great job taking care of things while I have been incapacitated. I didn’t get to fully form my “vibe” but he has done amazing with what I fortunately done early. I guess I have to quit giving him a hard time for awhile. He’s really been clutch

Sounds like you are having a good visit. Enjoy your time.

I’m gonna keep trying to not die
  • jrbanta
    You really got it this time. I assume it is Covid or a bad flu? I'm glad Bernie is helping out. Maybe he relies on you too much to hold the household together and when you can't he is able to step up and be needed. Men do get complacent about helping around the house and they like to do it on their timeline and terms. We just had this conversation with Rory and Hannah yesterday. As a young couple, they have good communication because Hannah's works for it to happen. They discuss who does what in their home. Rory is the typical male that needs to be told what to do because his tolerance for mess and dirt is higher than hers. Russ is the same way although he will help if I ask. I just don't think I need to ask, he should see what needs to be done. He also said his threshold for mess is different than mine. He and Rory both don't see why women want to clean so thoroughly when company is coming over. Anyway, I'm glad Bernie is doing what is needed. That should let you rest.

Our last day here. The kids are working. Russ and I will go out and get some breakfast and do some errands (pick up our favorites what we can't get in our rural area of MI). There is a nice Super Target here so we will stop in and see if we can find new sheets and pillows. I also want to browse Home Goods here. Ours is horrible. We are staying in Edina which is one of the nicest suburbs of Mpls. Their stores are always better with quality merchandise. Interesting the way corporate companies do that. They fill stores differently depending on their perception of demographics.

Well rest, rest, sleep, sleep!!!!
  • mizpaden74
    Not dead yet. I think my fever actually broke yesterday. It was the first day there was no fever spikes as meds wore off. Please, please hopefully I can bounce back fast and not lose my hair this time would be great. And not get this anymore!

Bernie and I were really hoping to get contact from BD today with an offer. Nothing. I told him they have lots of layers to work through and hope it’s still coming. Gah.

He’s had several big interviews besides that one that haven’t produced anything. The market is really slowing down. He’s interviewing in Fremont at a college tomorrow. Director of Facilities. He thinks it would be great. I have to play devils advocate and remind that understanding “politics “ and successfully navigating them are not his strength and they will probably want someone responsible for all the systems live closer than an hour. We’ll see.

Come on BD
  • jrbanta
    Is BD the company you work for? If he got the job would he be working close to you? I hope something works out soon. I'm glad he is pursuing jobs and getting interviews. Something will click and hopefully he will like it.

We just got home about 45 minutes ago. I already put in a load of laundry and unpacked. More laundry later or tomorrow. We had an easy drive home. Not much traffic going our way. Russ drove 6 hours and I drove 5 hours. I haven't checked my garden yet. Russ went out and looked at it and says it looks ok except some yellow tipped leaves on a tomato plant and the onions. I will check in the morning. Nothing I can do tonight.

I haven't been in touch with my sisters in a few days. Took a break from the drama. I'll see how they are doing tomorrow with a phone call.

We need rain badly!!!!!! Fire danger is extremely high here. If people and businesses don't water, their grass is scorched. We watered grass every other day while we were gone. Some of the front yard is brown and dry. It gets all day sun. Lots of weeds to deal with since they thrive in hot, dry weather. Endless!

I'm glad your fever broke. Hopefully you are on the mend. Did you hear how the shower went?