Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Made it through today. I've been off the diet for awhile so was good to get a good fast day back in. I'm going to be doing OMAD Tues, Thurs, and Sun but eating meals on Mon, Wed, and Friday since I'm running in the mornings on those days now due to hot weather. I will keep my breakfasts (2-scoops whey protein powder) and lunches (salad with meat, cheese, oil) very low carb. If I was really heavy, I wouldn't do this and would concentrate on just getting the weight off and doing more OMAD.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan, Bob! Best to you on your new way of life. So nice to see someone doing what they love!
  • blambo61
    Options
    thanks!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Love the plan :)
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Was down -2lbs this morning from the beginning of the week to 208-lbs

Ran 3.75-miles today in the hills before work. Started at the top and went 1-mile down, then up 1-mile, then down 1/2-mile, then up 1/2-mile, then down 1/4 mile, then up 1/4-mile, then jogged on top for 1/4-mile. It is very taxing chugging up a steep hill! Due to that and losing a little sleep last night I was really tired and hungry! I ate a lot today but I still came in under TDEE which I think was close to 3,000 kcal (I think I ate about 2600 to 2800 kcals). Sure was nice to be able to eat a bit and not put on weight ( I will see tomorrow morning)! If I'm going to run in the mornings, I will have to make sure I get enough sleep the night before and maybe I will need to get in a little nap at lunch-time.

My indiscretions:
    2-scoops whey protein in water - 240
    2-bags of peanuts - 240 (probably could have skipped this)

big salad - 500
    twix - 250 (shouldn't have done that)

tuna and crackers from snack bar -200?
    hershey chocolate bar - 250 (I know I shouldn't have done that either)

5-slices of little ceaser's pizza - 1250
    Total - 2930 if I added correctly

My watch says I've done 6.3 miles today and burned about 2500 kcals so far plus I should burn about another 320 being alive tell midnight so that is about 2830 kcals I will burn. I don't think the watch knows half my run was up a steep hill so that should be worth another 170 kcals or so I would think. So I think my TDEE was about 3000kcal. I could have had a decent deficit if I hadn't eaten the junk. Will try next time.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    How can anyone turn down a Twix? "It's the only one with a cookie crunch!" George Costanza of Seinfeld

Sounds like you had another amazing day! You didn't overdo calories. Your maintenance, correct?
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    How can anyone turn down a Twix? "It's the only one with a cookie crunch!" George Costanza of Seinfeld

Sounds like you had another amazing day! You didn't overdo calories. Your maintenance, correct?

Should be at about maintenance but I felt like I way overdid it (Fri night is traditional pizza night at my house and is usually my biggest eating day). I will do the same on other exercise days but I'm going to forgo the twix and chocolate (most of the time :) and I won't be eating pizza either except maybe Fri nights). Non-exercise days, I eat less and am doing OMAD but I'm burning less also. Will see how it goes. I did lose 2-lbs this week!
  • wsandy8512
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That's great on the loss! The Twix and cake are something you enjoyed once in a very long time; seems like that's how plan on treating those treats, good way to live. I think you're doing really well and I enjoy your updates. :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! I wouldn't give up pizza either :p
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

My watch says I've done 6.3 miles today and burned about 2500 kcals so far plus I should burn about another 320 being alive tell midnight so that is about 2830 kcals I will burn. I don't think the watch knows half my run was up a steep hill so that should be worth another 170 kcals or so I would think. So I think my TDEE was about 3000kcal. I could have had a decent deficit if I hadn't eaten the junk. Will try next time.

hello there, just wanted to share a new research that just came out a couple months ago in the scientific american

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

the article is behind a paywall, but this blog post bellow summarize it

http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/why_physical_activity_does_little_to_control_weight

basically the hooked up a gps to some bushmen in Tanzania and measured their metabolic rate with radioactive markers, turns out that in spite being more active obviously because of their hunter gatherer lifestyle they burned similar amount of calories than you average sedentary western person

men walked 7 miles/burned 2600 cals/day

women walked 3 miles/burn 1900/day

this is crazy stuff that if is confirmed is going to turn the current paradigm of the exercise as a weight loss tool on its head, btw this is confirmed to happen in other animals

• blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »

hello there, just wanted to share a new research that just came out a couple months ago in the scientific american

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

the article is behind a paywall, but this blog post bellow summarize it

http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/why_physical_activity_does_little_to_control_weight

basically the hooked up a gps to some bushmen in Tanzania and measured their metabolic rate with radioactive markers, turns out that in spite being more active obviously because of their hunter gatherer lifestyle they burned similar amount of calories than you average sedentary western person

men walked 7 miles/burned 2600 cals/day

women walked 3 miles/burn 1900/day

this is crazy stuff that if is confirmed is going to turn the current paradigm of the exercise as a weight loss tool on its head, btw this is confirmed to happen in other animals

I don't believe most of what was said.

Every hear of Micheal Phelps and how he puts down crazy amounts of calories (due to all his exercise)? Anyone who exercises DOES burn more calories than if they didn't. The only way that couldn't happen is if exercise reduced your BMR We know that doesn't happen because exercise increased the amount and size of mitochondria in a cell that burn more energy. Your metabolism speeds up when you exercise. The problem with exercise and not losing weight is that the person who exercises can eat it back and then some.

The said:
    "Hazda men eat and burn about 2600 calories a day; Hazda women, about 1900 calories. That’s the same as adults in Europe and America. Tests showed that Hazda adults burn the same number of calories to walk a mile as Westerners do. So what’s going on?

Yea but the Hazda people put in more miles than the westerners. What does efficiency of walking a mile even have to do with this topic? If this people do more miles but burn the same amount of cals as westerners then their BMR is lower than the westerners. Maybe that group has a lower BMR genetically. A much better study would be to compare Hazda people who are active and inactive and westerners who are active against westerners who are not active. They are confounding results with the different genetics of the people. Better test yet is to look at energy expenditures of the same person when active and not active.

"But the most active people burn no more calories than moderately active people." Define active vs moderately active. Micheal Phelps is very active and burns considerably more than either of these groups.

“You can’t lose weight by dieting alone; you have to exercise too.” I knew this couldn’t be true, because concentration camp inmates lost weight without exercising. And I watched my own husband lose sixty pounds in five months by eating sensibly and not exercising at all.

This doesn't mean that exercise can't help in weight loss, it only means that it isn't necessary. Good grief!

""The physics of calories in/calories out is undeniable, but our metabolism adjusts to compensate for calories out. So effective weight loss requires finding a way to reduce the “calories in” side of the equation. No matter how hard your metabolism is working to sabotage your diet, physics insures that reducing calorie intake from your current level will result in weight loss. The principle is simple; the implementation is not.""

Yea you can eat fewer and fewer calories until your metabolism goes to nothing and you will still lose weight but that gets just about impossible to do and isn't sustainable.

"“One of the causes of the obesity epidemic is that people are less physically active today than they were a few decades ago.” I think we can now say with confidence that this is not true. The obesity epidemic was caused by increased calorie consumption and not by decreased activity. “""

This is mostly true but they both play a role in the energy equation. I think it also has a lot to do with what we eat and the insulin angle to things and if we have a set point or not. This article doesn't talk about excretion of unused calories that has to be taken into account also.

My impression is that this person thinks its all CICO and what we eat doesn't matter and also exercise doesn't matter either. I think they need to exercise and watch what they eat.
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Had a good day today. Ran 4.0-miles in the hills in the morning and then also fasted the rest of the day after tell dinner. Did not get very hungry. The exercise really does dampen the hunger for awhile and it just continued. Burning fat is nice for over-all good feeling and clear-headedness it brings (as long as your fat metabolism can keep up with your energy demands).
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    I envy people like you who enjoy running, it's something I've always loathed. You had yet another great day and it makes my heart happy to read stories like yours because they're so inspirational. :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Had a good day today. Ran 4.0-miles in the hills in the morning and then also fasted the rest of the day after tell dinner. Did not get very hungry. The exercise really does dampen the hunger for awhile and it just continued. Burning fat is nice for over-all good feeling and clear-headedness it brings (as long as your fat metabolism can keep up with your energy demands).

Oh wow I was literally going to ask the group about this.
    I feel "full" after exercise and find it difficult to stuff food in if ive worked out quite a bit.
  • blambo61
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I envy people like you who enjoy running, it's something I've always loathed. You had yet another great day and it makes my heart happy to read stories like yours because they're so inspirational. :)

If you want to try running, just get into it slow. Get a little lighter first. Walking is good for now. It is super easy to get injured if you overdo it running. I've got a little injury right now myself.

I think we lose to:
    1. Look better
    2. Feel better
    3. Get Healthier
    4. Be able to do stuff (I like running). I'm also grateful that I can tie my shoes now without holding my breath! :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

Oh wow I was literally going to ask the group about this.
    I feel "full" after exercise and find it difficult to stuff food in if ive worked out quite a bit.

Exercise always kills appetite for me for a couple of hours. It usually makes it worse though later. That's been my experience. Being in a fat burning state seems to be a little different though and I can go much longer without eating after exercise than if I ate beforehand.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with all numbers but #4 feels the best!!! :)
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well this last week went from 208 (week before that) to 209 so didn't lose weight. Have been running but kind of hurt my achilles last week after running some hills, consequently I'm still running but going on the flat. I felt stiff after today so I need to watch it. Not sure why I got injured since I've been doing this for awhile. I think gout may be playing a role also. I'm going to go back to using ACV which I haven't done for awhile.

I think I may be down to 208 tomorrow though since I only weighed about 210 after dinner tonight.

Here is my current schedule:
    gxuvq5q22bzk.png

I am sssssllllllooooowwwwwlllllllyyyyyy losing but at least not gaining. Hopefully I won't have any setbacks in running. I will bike if that happens.

Keep up the good work all. Lots of people doing some amazing things! Here is my weight chart since I've started this.t5zbfbr7lzc3.png

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Slowly losing is most definitely better than gaining! That's where I am right now too - just have to keep plugging away and trying not to be too jealous of all the fast losers... :)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Slow losses are fine, it all depends on your goals and where you are at in the process.
    That's a pretty solid chart Bob.