Glad you are feeling better!
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    What kind of bee's did you get?
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Are the bees to which you're referring like buzz buzz bees, or is this a gardening term I just don't know?
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I am lost too about the bees.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Gardening already, didn't you just get a snowstorm?!

High 60s today, snow tomorrow. That is northern Utah in the spring. We do have snow in the forecast tomorrow.
  • blambo61
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Are the bees to which you're referring like buzz buzz bees, or is this a gardening term I just don't know?

Italian bees, the kind that buzz. I got two 2.5 lb packages (about 7,500 bees each) with a queen in each package. I've been keeping bees for several years or trying anyways.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Had a good run today and no knee pain so was grateful for that!
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes, purchasing bees (on purpose) to fly around is strange to me as well. Good luck with your garden and the gout pains.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes, purchasing bees (on purpose) to fly around is strange to me as well. Good luck with your garden and the gout pains.

Bees are not wasps. A lot of folks mix those up. Bees make honey! They are also great for pollinating my fruit trees (and the neighbors for about a 2-mile radius)! An average hive has about 60,000 bees in it. I've had up to 5-hives in my backyard or about 300,000 bees :). They are not the agressive kind or I wouldn't have them.
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I love bee's. My granny and gramps have a colony. I enjoy the fruits of their labor!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Oh, so you're a beekeeper! That's cool. Were you affected at all by that honeybee shortage last year? How much honey do you harvest every year?
  • blambo61
    Options
    Oh, so you're a beekeeper! That's cool. Were you affected at all by that honeybee shortage last year? How much honey do you harvest every year?

I didn't buy any last year so not effected. I can get about 90lbs a hive once established. My bees die often though. I'm not that good at it. I've mostly been building up and not harvesting a lot though. This year I won't harvest much and if they make it through the winter, I will split them and get a good harvest next year. I have a a lot of stored honey and give a lot away also. Might sell some someday.
  • brittdee88
    Options
    What causes them to die? That's really sad.
  • blambo61
    Options
    What causes them to die? That's really sad.

Mostly varroa mites. You don't treat for them they die.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Ran a 5k race today. Was a little short at 2.98-miles (5k is 3.1-miles). Pace was 8:37/mile, which extrapolated to 5k would be 26:43. Was 1-sec/mile slower than my pf (post fat) pr (personal record) set last year on a flat course. Today's course had some long gradual hills and one short steep one so it was a pr for me on that course. Was happy with the results. I really die hitting a steep hill after a couple of hard miles. When I get to a flat course, I hope to go under 26:00 if possible. Hope everyone is doing well!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Wow, bees! That's so cool...
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Nice race results Bob :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    Nice race results Bob :)

Thanks!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Busy day today. Hiked 8-miles with the scouts in the mountains and then took a couple hr nap and then the family went out and we did soccer golf which was kicking a soccer ball into large holes right on the golf course. Was a lot of fun. My watch says I've gone 15.7-miles today!
  • blambo61
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Haven't posted here for a while. Got very busy. Weight has been creeping up. Last Monday hit 202 and so fasted Mon-Wed and got back down to 197 (my all-time low is 193). Am trying to get back into it since I think its been a couple of months since I've been doing OMAD.

Had a couple of good 5k races. Ran one two days ago on a very hilly course and was only 11-seconds off of my flat course best and I didn't have a chance to warm up for that race so I ran the first part really slow which probably cost me about 15 seconds or so. I may have set a pr in that race if I had warmed up before it so I think I'm in the best shape I've been in since losing weight. I'm running a flat course in two weeks and hopefully I will be healthy and injury free and can set a pr (the flat course may be a minute faster than the course I just did). I'm going to do a nice moderate 6-mile hill run later today just before sunset. Going to plant the rest of the garden today.