New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Hey all! Happy New Year, 2016.

Since our fearless leader's original ice cream review thread has poofed, and since I have yet to receive a response from the powers that be about whether we might expect to get it back, I've decided to start a new thread. I'm not here as often as I once was, but I do have two new ice creams to review.

The first one is Cool Haus Chocolate Molten Cake. It's a chocolate base with chocolate fudge ribbon and cake pieces. Two thumbs up for the base and the chocolate ribbon. It's very reminiscent of Talenti's Fudge Brownie, but not quite as creamy. However I didn't like the cake pieces, which froze solid and were hard on my cold sensitive teeth. At 240 calories, which is the same as Talenti's, I'll probably stick to that one just to save my molars.

9c6aede1-76a1-410e-89d5-3d7b606486c0_zpsjzdt0t7x.jpg

Second, I tried Ben & Jerry's Salted Caramel Brown-ie Ale. I really like this one. I especially like the brownie pieces, which are really doughy and gooey. I think it could use a little more ale flavor. I could taste it at first but as I got more into my serving it was mostly just the brownie and caramel flavors that came through. At 250 calories this one isn't too bad for B&J.

33ca5cbf-2b6d-4aa5-98c4-1efc0744a55f_zpsaucft0jq.jpg

On a related note, my Fresh Market is carrying the Gelato Fiasco Dark Chocolate Caramel again, but with new labeling, which may be why it was absent for awhile. The calorie count has jumped to 200 instead of 170, and the gelato seems unchanged so I'm guessing the original label was incorrect. At any rate, it's still a damn good calorie count for such a good gelato.

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of HEB Creamy Creations ice creams to save a little cash. I didn't love any of the Christmas flavors, Winter Wonderland, Candy Cane, or Eggnog. For fall, they introduced a pumpkin pie flavor that was pretty nice. I've got that and this, which has a good amount of mixins, along with a quart of Dryer's chocolate malt frozen custard.

Quick question for anyone who sees this. What was your favorite flavor, new to stores or to you, of 2015?
    For me, it was either this:
    bourbonpecanpie-blog.jpg

The Tonight Dough

or Private Selections Chocolate Eclair
    mqdefault.jpg

Lastly, I've recently tried some pints of Baskin Robbins. I've thoroughly enjoyed every flavor and will continue to try more.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I liked the Tonight Dough too but my favorite of 2015 was the B&J Candy Bar Pie, which I can't get anymore in my area.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ice cream in ages... Last one I bought was this one and it was surprisingly good for a store brand.

077890384664.jpg

I admit though, I have a hard time getting excited by more versions of cookie dough, salted caramel, or chocolate, honestly, and that's pretty much all I find around here. My favorite ice cream is still the local one that doesn't give nutrition information too so it's a bummer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    See I'm the opposite-- I have trouble getting excited about things that aren't chocolate or caramel. Every once in a great while I'm in the mood for something fruity, but it's extremely rare.
  • Francl27
    Options
    See I'm the opposite-- I have trouble getting excited about things that aren't chocolate or caramel. Every once in a great while I'm in the mood for something fruity, but it's extremely rare.

I think it's because there are a few in those flavors that I really like, so I don't feel the need to try more, if it makes sense?

I mean, I went to an ice cream shop the other day and it was the same boring flavors so I just left. I like more mix ins or something, and it would have to be some really good ice cream to be worth having over Talenti, for example. Actually though, still on the lookout for a brand of chocolate AND caramel (mixed) that is really good (I like Yuengling black&tan though).

And yeah, spending $5 for a pint of ice cream to try it out hasn't been very exciting to me lately, lol. I'd love the Yuengling flavors but we only have 4 in the stores here.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Recently tried this and if I had to choose one last ice cream/gelato to eat before the end of the world...this would be it. :) Also tried the Milliefoglie and it was great.

zmt0aoaeevs3.jpg

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Recently tried this and if I had to choose one last ice cream/gelato to eat before the end of the world...this would be it. :) Also tried the Milliefoglie and it was great.

zmt0aoaeevs3.jpg

That looks fabulous-- where did you find it?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Supermarket by me called Kings. They were above the Talenti in the freezer. Not alot ingredients so I thought I would give them a try. So worth it. Heres the website to try to find them in your area. I think they have a store in FL. The master gelato looks like Bill Hader. lol

http://gelatopetrini.com/
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Thanks to years of it being the only flavor I tried, I was completely over cookies and cream last year. It's all I want now, lol.

The next flavors I'm interested in are the Turkey Hill seasonal flavors, Blue Bell cookies and cream, and Ben and Jerrys Speculoos Core.

That gelato looks really good. Outside of Talenti Pumpkin pie, I really haven't had any in a while.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    It must be hard to get the flavor of alcohol into things that aren't actually alcohol. Every time I have baked goods or ice cream that are supposed to taste like booze there's too little boozy flavor.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I love dumping Bailey's over my homemade Vanilla Bean ice-cream. Its just SOOO yummy. Its like a sauce, really. And yea, I can taste the booze.
    Baileys & Ice-cream = <3
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    I've been cheating on ice cream with Oreos, Pop Tarts, and Reeses Clusters >:)

I do have a new, unopened pint of Talenti, chocolate peanut butter cup.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I love dumping Bailey's over my homemade Vanilla Bean ice-cream. Its just SOOO yummy. Its like a sauce, really. And yea, I can taste the booze.
    Baileys & Ice-cream = <3

That sounds awesome.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If anyone tries this flavor let us know! I went to Target last week, & it seemed the store was still stocked with the old exclusive flavor.

rs_634x1024-160121103708-634-7cake-my-day-ben-jerrys.jpg
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    blue%2Bbunny%2Bholi-doodle%2Bchristmas%2Bcookie%2Bice%2Bcream%2Bquart.jpg

(On Second Scoop Picture)

I really liked this ice cream. The ice cream was a bit icy/crunchy, but aside from that small complaint it had icing, dough pieces, & sprinkles!

I was really impressed with how well this ice cream tasted considering Blue Bunny is more of a lower level ice cream brand.

So glad it was a limited edition/seasonal ice cream.
  • Francl27
    Options
    blue%2Bbunny%2Bholi-doodle%2Bchristmas%2Bcookie%2Bice%2Bcream%2Bquart.jpg

(On Second Scoop Picture)

I really liked this ice cream. The ice cream was a bit icy/crunchy, but aside from that small complaint it had icing, dough pieces, & sprinkles!

I was really impressed with how well this ice cream tasted considering Blue Bunny is more of a lower level ice cream brand.

So glad it was a limited edition/seasonal ice cream.

There's no store here that sells the Blue Bunny special flavors. I'm sad.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If anyone tries this flavor let us know! I went to Target last week, & it seemed the store was still stocked with the old exclusive flavor.

I'll keep an eye out. The other cake batter one by B&J was a little disappointing. The flavor was good but it was kinda grainy or something.
  • Francl27
    Options

Found it. Tasty! Tons of mix-ins (tasty, cake pieces and buttercream bits are great)) and the base has a nice flavor. Definitely creamier and richer than the other cake ice cream flavors I've had, but obviously it has twice the calories, so not really shocking. Was a once in a while purchase for me because there's maybe two days a month when I have 280 calories to spare on ice cream...