New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So there was a little bit of the frosting in my second serving of Cake My Day. The icing is really good. I'm really sad that there wasn't more of it in my pint. Every once in awhile I'll get a pint of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel with no truffles so I imagine it happens sometimes.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    OMG have you guys tried the Haagen Dazs Peanut Butter Pie. So amazing. Not thrilled with the B&J Peanut Butter and Chocolate Core tho...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So my company got acquired last year and we have a new CEO. In one of his town hall meetings he was talking about customers and how when they have an issue, they will find a way to get their message to the powers that be, even all the way to contacting him. He then told this story:

"I travel about 75% of the time, but recently o got home late from a business trip, my family was in bed and I found a hidden pint of my favorite ice cream, Talenti Sea Salt Caramel, in the freezer. This was a real treat to have a quiet house and a whole pint of gelato to myself, and if none of you have ever tried this you really need to, it has little pieces of chocolate truffles mixed in. Well I didn't even bother with a bowl, just a pint and a spoon. I took one bite, another, and another and still hasn't found one of those truffles. So being a good scientist, I went and got a bowl and started scooping it out to dissect the pint and sadly learned there was not a single truffle in there! I was so upset. I got on my iPad and started digging around until I found the name of the Talenti CEO. I sent him an email directly to complain, one busy CEO to another, about my frustration at not finding any truffles in my favorite gelato. Well what do you know, he sent me coupons for 5 free pints! So if you think angry customers don't matter, think again!"

I was cracking up and knew you savvy, frugal, ice cream lovers will appreciate that story!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I have heard several people say they got coupons from Talenti for not having any truffles. That's great (and yay for a CEO who likes Talenti!) but I'd rather they just fix the issue in the first place. I have the same problem with Fitbit. Yeah, it's great that they'll replace it any time you complain, but I'd rather they just make it so it doesn't break so easily.

At any rate, I picked up the new Talenti Key Lime Pie today. Walmart had it, but no Peanut Butter Pretzel yet. They did have the chocolate sorbetto and the vanilla caramel too, but I don't have much interest in either of those.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've seen all the new Talenti except the one I want (coconut almond chocolate), so I haven't bought any. They'll be back to $2.88 at Shop Rite this Sunday though so hopefully they'll have the new flavors by then (not holding my breath).

Frustrated right now though because the only satisfying ice cream I've managed to fit in is Edy's slow churned lately and the new flavors are nowhere to be found, and Shop Rite definitely got rid of the Slow Churned line (to replace it with the new Blue Bunny stuff, apparently). So probably not much in term of ice cream for me in the near future... I think it's getting clear that it's still tough for me to stop at 1 serving of ice cream.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The key lime pie is good but could use more lime flavor imo. I do really really like the graham cracker swirl.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Got bored and decided to splurge a bit on something new for me

SB-Italian-banner(1).jpg

They didn't have the cheesecake one sadly, but I got the cannoli and biscotti. The cannoli one is pretty good, but the flavor is a bit too mild... there are a few chocolate chips mix-ins. Overall, it's decent for the calories though. But the biscotti is really tasty! Tons of mix-ins (cookies, chocolate, and a big caramel swirl), creamy, that one totally hit the spot.

Also bought this because I haven't bought pistachio ice cream in ages and it was cheap (and 150 calories vs 200 from Talenti).

020735112274.jpg

Should probably have read the ingredients first because it tastes like artificial pistachio. Bah. It's ok but probably not worth the calories. Well I'm sure my husband will love it...
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well Shop Rite has a $1.99 Talenti sale and got some of the new flavors, but still no almond chocolate coconut, which is the one I really wanted, or blackberry. Oh well.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well Shop Rite has a $1.99 Talenti sale and got some of the new flavors, but still no almond chocolate coconut, which is the one I really wanted, or blackberry. Oh well.

That's an awesome price!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's an awesome price!

Yeah I bought 6 pints. No room for more, sadly.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I picked up Talenti Peach Butter Biscuit, Talenti Peanut Butter Pretzel, and Gelato Fiasco Big County Brownie. The only one I've tried is the brownie and it's fabulous. It's 240 calories and has a really nice base (not quite as good as the dark chocolate sea salt caramel but very good), chunks of brownie that are divine, and chocolate truffles.

Hoping to the try the other two soon.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I picked up Talenti Peach Butter Biscuit, Talenti Peanut Butter Pretzel, and Gelato Fiasco Big County Brownie. The only one I've tried is the brownie and it's fabulous. It's 240 calories and has a really nice base (not quite as good as the dark chocolate sea salt caramel but very good), chunks of brownie that are divine, and chocolate truffles.

Hoping to the try the other two soon.

Man I really want to try the peach butter biscuit :(
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A review for some of the new flavors/new flavors to me I've tried

th?id=OIP.M82810e75faf200c3ea8055aabed3f539o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

I loved this ice cream! One of my new favorites. Bought this at Giant last month during a sale & there was one more random pint left. I loved how clean this ice cream tasted & that it wasn't overly pepperminty. The bark pieces add a bit of a fun factor to the ice cream & it was nice that the pieces weren't teeth breaking. The Grocery Outlet has a few more of these pints left, but I have enough ice cream for the time being so I passed them up.

edys%2Bmaple%2Bsyrup%2Bslow%2Bchurned.jpg

This ice cream is pretty awesome for being 100 calories! There's a ton of maple throughout each bite & the ice cream is very smooth. The only downside is the candy pieces aren't that plentiful & they're so small that you almost forget about them until you randomly crunch one.

th?id=OIP.Mcd9c07e7d063aedef4f121776f1a4266o2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

This gelato was again awesome!! I am usually not a huge fan of chocolate ice cream, but I devoured this pint during a day I earned a lot of Fitbit calories. Everything blended together well the chocolate, peanut butter, & pretzel pieces. I was surprised that my pretzel pieces weren't soggy from leaving this in my car for the night & some of the next day when the pint fell out of my bag.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Some more reviews:

Talenti Key Lime Pie

Meh, so boring! Hardly any Key Lime fan & that's coming from someone who isn't much of a Key Lime fan. The mix-ins were too soft & overall not a flavor I'd buy again.

Don't shoot me for this review haha.

arcticzero__brownieblast.jpg

I've tried a few pints of Arctic Zero since I'm a glutton for punishment. The creamy pints suck & I agree with all the harsh comments on those. The chunky pints are a little better & I could see me buying these for days/TOM days that I feel like eating the whole fridge. The base in this is pretty boring, but there's a lot of mix-ins & it does remind me a bit of licking the spoon/bowl after emptying the brownie batter into the pan.

0007457065030_500X500.jpg

Loved the base & mix-ins, but hated the raspberry swirl! I've now come to the conclusion that I love raspberries, but hate raspberry swirl in ice cream. I couldn't handle Save Our Swirled & Cake My Day since it seemed the raspberry swirl overpowered the rest of the ice cream.

th?id=OIP.Mb2792b92c9d0d966813a98ae6345f31fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Overall I found this ice cream to be pretty boring, but pleasant. This is again an ice cream I won't buy again.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Bazooka-launches-new-dessert-inspired-confectionery-brand-Crunchkins_strict_xxl.png

Found this candy at Wal-Mart & it's really good. Its priced around $1.34 & you get two servings at roughly 200 calories per serving. The glazed donut pieces are my favorite since they remind me of the Tastykake Glazed Donut Holes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I have found a lot of the recent Haagen Dazs flavors to be pretty meh. LolBroScience says the sesame brittle flavor is awesome so I may try that one but idk. It's funny to me how these companies can have some flavors that hit it out of the park and others that aren't worth mentioning. I have been meaning to try the peppermint bark but I'm a little iffy on mint ice cream. I usually only want it if I'm sick.

So I liked the Key Lime Talenti but I agree it needed more lime. As I got farther down in the pint I tasted it more, or maybe it was just perception since my expectations were tempered after the first serving. I liked the soft graham cracker swirl. Maybe some chunks would have been good though-- mine had a few but not that many.

I probably won't kick you out for Arctic Zero, although if Jose were here he might. ;) On that note, I recently tried some of the Oikos frozen greek yogurt flavors. I didn't think any of them were worth reviewing but the best one was cookies n cream. I also tried chocolate, which I wouldn't buy again, and salted caramel, which is better than I expected. Not premium for sure, but it works for me on non-lifting days when I still want ice cream. The chocolate one was nowhere near as good as Edy's slow churned (any flavor) and was 150 calories per serving, so that was no-go for me. /shrug

Speaking of Edy's slow churned, MrAcrylics got the Washington Apple Pie and the Mississippi Mud. The former he wasn't as crazy about but he really likes the latter. I haven't really tried either, so all you get are his reviews. He said the Apple just doesn't have much to it. But it's 100 calories per serving, so there you go.

I was going to try the Peach Butter Biscuit last night but MrAcrylics wanted to go for frozen yogurt so we did that instead. I'm planning to try it tonight, barring unplanned calorie expenditures during the day.
  • Francl27
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are all the new Dreyer slow churned per region? My Taeget only has Vermont maple (not interested) and Maine blueberry (got that one today... it's actually very disappointing. Just vanilla ice cream with bit of blueberries. Bah).

I'm super curious about the new Artic Zero but I can't find them either (but at the price.. ugh).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Peach Butter Biscuit-- this is basically a cinnamon ice cream with a small peach swirl and some pieces of what tastes to me like pie crust. It's good, and I really like a good cinnamon ice cream, but I expected more peach flavor and maybe some pieces of peaches. There's a chance there's more farther down. Still, I enjoyed it (I really liked the crunchy biscuit pieces) and the calorie count isn't bad (210).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Peach Butter Biscuit-- this is basically a cinnamon ice cream with a small peach swirl and some pieces of what tastes to me like pie crust. It's good, and I really like a good cinnamon ice cream, but I expected more peach flavor and maybe some pieces of peaches. There's a chance there's more farther down. Still, I enjoyed it (I really liked the crunchy biscuit pieces) and the calorie count isn't bad (210).

That sounds really good, I will have to look for that one.

We are still working our way through the Girl Scout cookies and an Oreo sale that I hit up a week before the Girl Scout delivery... so I haven't had much ice cream lately. Looking forward to trying some new flavors though!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I want to try this so badly. We don't have Publix around here.

There's a lot of different ice creams I've been wanting to try. I'm not sure what I'll pick up tomorrow.