New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been packing for a festival all evening and earned enough calories for a second serving of ice cream. I decided to try out the other new Talenti flavor I got, Peanut Butter Pretzel. I should say up front that while I like peanut butter it's not really my most favorite thing ever and I'm not always a big chocolate covered pretzel person either.

That said, I think this is going to be a hit with a lot of people. I really enjoyed it even given the caveats above. The base has a sweet peanut butter flavor. Think peanut butter pie or peanut butter balls (buckeyes for those of you down south). It's got the peanut butter swirl like the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, which I have always loved. The chocolate covered pretzel balls remind me of small malt balls in terms of texture. They're crunchy and just a tiny bit salty. I feel like maybe a heavier salty flavor might have been good for salty/sweet fans, but it was perfect for me since I tend not to like too much salt in my sweet things.

At 270 calories, I'd buy it again but honestly to get my Talenti peanut butter fix I'd probably stick to the chocolate version, only because I'm a die hard chocoholic.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I mocked up my own chocolate peanut butter pretzel frozen treat tonight... Husband brought home junior frostys which needed a little something, so I added peanut butter pretzel nuggets...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Is the almond coconut chocolate chips a Target exclusive? I only saw it there but I'm not spending $5.49 on it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is the almond coconut chocolate chips a Target exclusive? I only saw it there but I'm not spending $5.49 on it.
    I saw that flavor at Kroger

• CooCooPuff
    Options
    The packaging on Kroger's store brand ice cream always seemed really tacky and made me hesitant to try any of them, but there was a flavor called fried ice cream that I was way too interested in trying. The sweetness could be a little overwhelming in some bites, but it was a great flavor overall. I'll definitely keep my eye open for other interesting flavors.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well I found it at another Shop Rite.

CoconutAlmondChocolate-Crop-2-814x1024.png

Delicious. Should have bought another pint. Wish I had a bigger freezer!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For anyone near a Central Market, they've put out their own in-house brand with some interesting flavors.

So far, I've tried Lemon Creme Rosemary Shortbread. Very tasty. Plenty of lemon flavor, lightly sweet and creamy with a slight tang from the buttermilk in the base. Small pieces of softened rosemary shortbread. I presume they couldn't get them to stay crumbly, which I would have preferred. The rosemary flavor is not overpowering, and I can taste the butter in the shortbread. Worthy of a second purchase.

I've also picked up but have not yet tried:

Chile Pepper Pecan - Crunchy, peppered, praline pecans and spicy chiles chopped in-house and infused into sweet vanilla ice cream. Pralines, pecans and chiles—talk about a taste of Texas! You'll love the mingling of iconic Texas pecans and peppers. We contemplated making a Stetson your Free Gift with Purchase. Instead we went with the farewell kick of chile spice and a hint of heat.

Saigon Cinnamon - Old-world Vietnamese cinnamon, brown sugar and tangy buttermilk. It's the warm fuzzy feeling in a package.

Coconut Ginger - If you don’t taste Thailand in one scoop of toasted coconut chips stirred into ice cream infused with freshly juiced ginger…well, we just don’t know. And that’s the truth.

Also found High Road Gelato and Ice Cream. Tried the Mango Chili Lime Sorbet, which was very good. Great texture. Very intense mango, a bare hint of lime (you have to seriously search for it), and just a tiny bit of heat after you swallow. The heat lingers and builds slowly with multiple bites. Picked up their Aztec Chocolate based on a rec that said it had a good kick. We'll see.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I picked up the Talenti Coconut Almond Chocolate and the Key Lime Pie ones this weekend at the store. Looking forward to trying them since we are almost done with Girl Scout Cookies!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    @ILiftHeavyAcrylics @Cortelli

Finally tried the Gelato Fiasco Dark Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt, & man you weren't lying when you said that it tasted awesome! That flavor knocked Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns out of my favorite spot.

I had to go back to Giant & scoop up five more of those pints.

I didn't care for their Torched Marshmallow S'Mores flavor not that it wasn't a nice tasting ice cream, but I have decided I'm not a huge marshmallow ice cream fan.

I'm hoping people continue to buy this brand considering the price tag is a little steep, but compared to Jeni's the price tag is definitely a lot nicer.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I was on the fence about the GF S'more. It was good and I liked it, but it wasn't very s'more to me-- not enough chocolate! Jose thought it tasted like cinnamon. I never did buy it again either, so maybe that says more than anything else.

I'm on vacation so there'll be lots of ice cream pics when I get back. But I didn't get a pic of what I had today-- it was called bearclaw and it was fabulous. Dark chocolate ice cream with caramel ribbon and chocolate covered cashews.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    If y'all are lucky enough to have one near you, today's Ben and Jerry's Free Cone Day!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    I was on the fence about the GF S'more. It was good and I liked it, but it wasn't very s'more to me-- not enough chocolate! Jose thought it tasted like cinnamon. I never did buy it again either, so maybe that says more than anything else.

I'm on vacation so there'll be lots of ice cream pics when I get back. But I didn't get a pic of what I had today-- it was called bearclaw and it was fabulous. Dark chocolate ice cream with caramel ribbon and chocolate covered cashews.

I also thought the S'Mores flavor tasted like Cinnamon which I love, but definitely not a flavor I would want to eat again.

Maybe I am put off that S'Mores are usually warm & the ice cream is of course cold.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    ps_IceCream_ToastedSesameBrittle.png

This flavor has a generic vanilla base which is still pleasant, but the real winner in this one is of course the brittle pieces!

This ice cream still doesn't beat Jeni's Brown Butter Almond Brittle ice cream, but a way cheaper price tag.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I miss these So MUCH! <3

6jjau1k2wlvg.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ice cream from my trip:

This was one scoop of the best tiramisu gelato I've ever had on top of something called Dirty Sand Dollar ice cream, which I raved about last year after vacation. It's cappuccino base with chocolate chips and chopped up chocolate malt balls in it.

ygf41peqx7zt.jpg

Triple dark chocolate gelato, which was very good but not quite on par with the others I tried.

0l99p7hqai08.jpg

This was another tiramisu gelato that had actual chunks of ladyfingers. It said it was kahlua but I didn't get much of that flavor.

ucbhycfakvp4.jpg

I wish I had gotten photos of the other two I tried, particularly the Bear Claw I mentioned above. The other one was chocolate with a marshmallow swirl and a caramel ribbon.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    For anyone near a Central Market, they've put out their own in-house brand with some interesting flavors.

So far, I've tried Lemon Creme Rosemary Shortbread. Very tasty. Plenty of lemon flavor, lightly sweet and creamy with a slight tang from the buttermilk in the base. Small pieces of softened rosemary shortbread. I presume they couldn't get them to stay crumbly, which I would have preferred. The rosemary flavor is not overpowering, and I can taste the butter in the shortbread. Worthy of a second purchase.

I've also picked up but have not yet tried:

Chile Pepper Pecan - Crunchy, peppered, praline pecans and spicy chiles chopped in-house and infused into sweet vanilla ice cream. Pralines, pecans and chiles—talk about a taste of Texas! You'll love the mingling of iconic Texas pecans and peppers. We contemplated making a Stetson your Free Gift with Purchase. Instead we went with the farewell kick of chile spice and a hint of heat.

Saigon Cinnamon - Old-world Vietnamese cinnamon, brown sugar and tangy buttermilk. It's the warm fuzzy feeling in a package.

Coconut Ginger - If you don’t taste Thailand in one scoop of toasted coconut chips stirred into ice cream infused with freshly juiced ginger…well, we just don’t know. And that’s the truth.

Also found High Road Gelato and Ice Cream. Tried the Mango Chili Lime Sorbet, which was very good. Great texture. Very intense mango, a bare hint of lime (you have to seriously search for it), and just a tiny bit of heat after you swallow. The heat lingers and builds slowly with multiple bites. Picked up their Aztec Chocolate based on a rec that said it had a good kick. We'll see.

Circled back around to these. Didn't have calories for full serving, so took a bite of each.

All have a great texture. Really pleased with all but the coconut ginger. Maybe it gets better with a decent serving, but all I got with one taste was cold coconut cream. Tasted just like the cream off of the top of the canned coconut milk. Not sweet, No ginger. Strange choice for an ice cream, I think.

The Aztec chocolate doesn't have much heat at all, but it does have a good amount of cinnamon and spice so I'm happy anyway.

Saigon Cinnamon was perfect for me. I love cinnamon ice cream and this has a ton of straight sweet cinnamon flavor.

Chile Pepper Pecan is almost savory there's so much spicy chile and pecan. I also bought High Road Brown Butter Praline which is very high calorie and very rich because it is crammed full of praline, so I think I might just mix these two together and see how that is. I have a feeling it may be a chocolate and peanut butter moment.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    I'd want to try the chili flavor but I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to spice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Tried the Gelato Fiasco Mascarpone Pistachio Caramel and wasn't impressed. I didn't get a whole lot of anything to be honest. It does have a lot of pistachio mix-ins, but the flavor still manages to be very mild. I didn't get any caramel at all.

Gelato Fiasco, like Talenti, seems to be pretty hit or miss, especially lately.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I haven't been active in the forums for a long time and sort of lost track of this group after the original thread and related threads got nuked a while back. Happy to find a new thread going!

I haven't been eating much gelato or ice cream recently, but we just started a family vacation, and I was happy to find that we now have access to some of the treasures you all on the east coast or at least far-more-east-than-me folks have access to. We arrived in Nashville late Wednesday, and Thursday evening enjoyed a visit to a Jeni's location.

Jeni's was, for a time, impossibly hard to find on the west coast. I had to hunt for stores that carried hard-packed pints of limited Jeni's flavors. So it was a treat to find a retail location and a line out the door in the early evening not far from the spot we're staying, with fireflies alight to delight my sometimes cynical kids.

We had lunched at Monell's in Nashville, a family-style, Southern cooking restaurant, and enjoyed biscuits with both gravy and peach preserves. So when faced with the Jeni's special or limited flavors, I had to try the Sweet Cream Biscuit with Peach Preserves. Very nice chunks of sweet biscuit, and plentiful, but the peach flavor didn't really break through. I would still order again, just for the biscuit chunks. For the other flavor, I went with an older favorite - Brambleberry Crisp - and would still order again, for the crispy oat clusters. Still a big fan. And while in Nashville I have acquired a few bottles of brambleberry wine, too.
    lw81kg6savba.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I haven't been active in the forums for a long time and sort of lost track of this group after the original thread and related threads got nuked a while back. Happy to find a new thread going!

I haven't been eating much gelato or ice cream recently, but we just started a family vacation, and I was happy to find that we now have access to some of the treasures you all on the east coast or at least far-more-east-than-me folks have access to. We arrived in Nashville late Wednesday, and Thursday evening enjoyed a visit to a Jeni's location.

Jeni's was, for a time, impossibly hard to find on the west coast. I had to hunt for stores that carried hard-packed pints of limited Jeni's flavors. So it was a treat to find a retail location and a line out the door in the early evening not far from the spot we're staying, with fireflies alight to delight my sometimes cynical kids.

We had lunched at Monell's in Nashville, a family-style, Southern cooking restaurant, and enjoyed biscuits with both gravy and peach preserves. So when faced with the Jeni's special or limited flavors, I had to try the Sweet Cream Biscuit with Peach Preserves. Very nice chunks of sweet biscuit, and plentiful, but the peach flavor didn't really break through. I would still order again, just for the biscuit chunks. For the other flavor, I went with an older favorite - Brambleberry Crisp - and would still order again, for the crispy oat clusters. Still a big fan. And while in Nashville I have acquired a few bottles of brambleberry wine, too.
    lw81kg6savba.jpg

Hey you! Have fun in Nashville, we used to live there... I'm sure you're hitting all the great sites but if you are looking for a fun restaurant try South Street Smokehouse and Crab Shack near Vanderbilt... Get the crab n slab, you won't be disappointed.