New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I haven't been active in the forums for a long time and sort of lost track of this group after the original thread and related threads got nuked a while back. Happy to find a new thread going!

I haven't been eating much gelato or ice cream recently, but we just started a family vacation, and I was happy to find that we now have access to some of the treasures you all on the east coast or at least far-more-east-than-me folks have access to. We arrived in Nashville late Wednesday, and Thursday evening enjoyed a visit to a Jeni's location.

Jeni's was, for a time, impossibly hard to find on the west coast. I had to hunt for stores that carried hard-packed pints of limited Jeni's flavors. So it was a treat to find a retail location and a line out the door in the early evening not far from the spot we're staying, with fireflies alight to delight my sometimes cynical kids.

We had lunched at Monell's in Nashville, a family-style, Southern cooking restaurant, and enjoyed biscuits with both gravy and peach preserves. So when faced with the Jeni's special or limited flavors, I had to try the Sweet Cream Biscuit with Peach Preserves. Very nice chunks of sweet biscuit, and plentiful, but the peach flavor didn't really break through. I would still order again, just for the biscuit chunks. For the other flavor, I went with an older favorite - Brambleberry Crisp - and would still order again, for the crispy oat clusters. Still a big fan. And while in Nashville I have acquired a few bottles of brambleberry wine, too.
    lw81kg6savba.jpg

That looks delish.

I've been having problems with the camera on my phone and it seems to always hit when I'm trying some new gelato I want to show you guys. I'm glad to hear from you-- was starting to think this group had gone the way of the dodo.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato - too little time, too many fine dining opportunities to make the crab shack.

We're already re-located to the Smokey Mountains now (outside Pigeon Forge, TN), and soon will resume a leisurely road trip east. I am open to restaurant and dessert suggestions in Asheville, NC, Charlotte, NC, Myrtle Beach, SC, and Raleigh, NC, or anywhere on the roads in between! I will be on the lookout for gelato and ice cream opportunities!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The Ice Cream House in Brooklyn, NY. OMG!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Private Selections has a pistachio and honey blend that is to die for. The honey adds just the right sweetness.

I was in Spain and Italy recently and tried all sorts of gelatos and ice cream. My favorite was probably a tiramisu gelato I tried near the Vatican (no pics! I was usually super hungry when we ate and forgot).

Something else that was really nice was the Maxibon ice cream sandwich. I tried two varieties, cookie and vanilla.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    2 adults and a strapping 11 year old boy polished off the half gallon of this amazingness is less than 30 minutes.

Perrys-Ice-Cream-Limited-Edition-95th-Anniversary-Sponge-Candy-1024x822.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My grocery store recently started carrying Turkey Hill (I think previously mostly available on the East Coast) so I'm hopeful that the elusive Butter Brickle flavor makes an appearance... My first purchase though was a limited edition: Dark Chocolate Caramel Espresso flavor. It was phenomenal...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Turkey Hill, I went to their factory/experience thing in PA last week (didn't get to make my own flavor sadly) and tried Firecracker... weirdest ice cream I've ever tasted. Has anyone tried it before?

I wasn't really impressed by the other flavors but the rocky road one was a big favorite for all my party (I was good and only had 3 flavors, the others all had 5, lol).
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My grocery store recently started carrying Turkey Hill (I think previously mostly available on the East Coast) so I'm hopeful that the elusive Butter Brickle flavor makes an appearance... My first purchase though was a limited edition: Dark Chocolate Caramel Espresso flavor. It was phenomenal...
    Their red velvet is amazing. I think butter brickle is for the summer. You should get it soon.

• Francl27
    edited July 2016
    Options
    yuenglings-sea-salt-caramel-swirl.png?itok=5Rw6HkyS&c=1e042adbb2df075dc26d2f9fc4e99ec8

I actually found it. Not really sure why I bother though... (ok it was on sale). But for the calories (210 for 87g), nothing beats Talenti in flavor. I'm sure my daughter will eat it...
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I found this at a specialty cheese shop near me

HoneyLavenderNewPintLabelfront_grande.jpg?v=1455661142

Sooooo gooood. I love goat cheese so I was eager to try it and was not disappointed. If you're not into chèvre, it's not for you, because it definitely retains goat characteristics. Very expensive but nutritionally reasonable. I think it was about $12 for a pint but only 120 calories for a serving (4 per pint).

Also of note, I made it to the Gelato Fiasco shop in Portland, ME recently. As good as it is from your local grocer, it's 10x better (not hyperbole) fresh from their store. More amazing, they're not even the best gelato on the street! That would be Gorgeous Gelato.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »
    I found this at a specialty cheese shop near me

HoneyLavenderNewPintLabelfront_grande.jpg?v=1455661142

Sooooo gooood. I love goat cheese so I was eager to try it and was not disappointed. If you're not into chèvre, it's not for you, because it definitely retains goat characteristics. Very expensive but nutritionally reasonable. I think it was about $12 for a pint but only 120 calories for a serving (4 per pint).

Also of note, I made it to the Gelato Fiasco shop in Portland, ME recently. As good as it is from your local grocer, it's 10x better (not hyperbole) fresh from their store. More amazing, they're not even the best gelato on the street! That would be Gorgeous Gelato.

Is it sweet? I love goat cheese but idk if I could do it in gelato form.
  • EDollah
    Options
    With the honey, this particular flavor was definitely sweet. I haven't tried any of the other flavors yet. At its price point, I can justify satisfying my curiosity to answer the question "hey what does goat milk gelato taste like?" I unfortunately can't make it a go-to frozen treat at $12/pint.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    yuenglings-sea-salt-caramel-swirl.png?itok=5Rw6HkyS&c=1e042adbb2df075dc26d2f9fc4e99ec8

I actually found it. Not really sure why I bother though... (ok it was on sale). But for the calories (210 for 87g), nothing beats Talenti in flavor. I'm sure my daughter will eat it...

I was never able to find the new Cinnamon Churro flavor.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    I recently tried Halo Top Birthday Cake & loved it. The Arctic Zero Birthday Cake is decent, but not as tasty as Halo Top.

Giant has started to carry Coolhaus Ice Cream sandwiches, some frozen yogurt protein yogurt tube, Halo Top, & Brio.

Anyone try any of the Brio products?

I also want to try the new Reese's Cups with Reese's pieces inside.

Also the new Nabisco Cinnamon Thins are amazing.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    2 adults and a strapping 11 year old boy polished off the half gallon of this amazingness is less than 30 minutes.

Perrys-Ice-Cream-Limited-Edition-95th-Anniversary-Sponge-Candy-1024x822.jpg

That looks amazing!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I was never able to find the new Cinnamon Churro flavor.

I found it but didn't buy it.. no sure I want to bother after this experience though.

I liked Halo Top birthday cake. Tried Artic Zero cookie dough chips because it was on sale... the cookie bits are tasty but the base is tasteless. I still have the brownie blast one but I'm not expecting much.
  • EDollah
    Options
    I've been wary of Yuengling's ice cream because I don't care for their beer at all. Is the only commonality with the beer the name? If so I might pick up a quart next time they're on sale, which seems to be all the time.
  • Francl27
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »
    I've been wary of Yuengling's ice cream because I don't care for their beer at all. Is the only commonality with the beer the name? If so I might pick up a quart next time they're on sale, which seems to be all the time.

Yeah nothing to do with the beer. I like the black & tan flavor.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The black and tan is pretty good-- no mix-ins though.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    I dig Turkey Hill's double chocolate espresso flavor.

The base is sweet enough and the truffles are great. Still no s'mores :disappointed: