How long can you plank for?

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Side plank may have been pushing it too much for my right shoulder, that and shoveling when I got home has me on the couch with an ice pack. No planks tonight.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ugh! That side plank looked like it could do some damage! Hope it feels better @auntstephie321!

I did a 10:00 wall plank today! Didn't think I would make it that long! Arms began to shake right at the end, but what began to bother me was a discomfort in my right calf. I did increase the distance from the wall to 25 inches, so that may have something to do with that. I managed 1:15 on a floor plank on the knees this evening. Was hoping for longer, but am happy to even be able to do it at all!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Ugh! That side plank looked like it could do some damage! Hope it feels better @auntstephie321!

I did a 10:00 wall plank today! Didn't think I would make it that long! Arms began to shake right at the end, but what began to bother me was a discomfort in my right calf. I did increase the distance from the wall to 25 inches, so that may have something to do with that. I managed 1:15 on a floor plank on the knees this evening. Was hoping for longer, but am happy to even be able to do it at all!

Oh wow that's great!

It's a little better still sore, shoveling yesterday didn't help. But no spasm just tightness, which is bearable.
  • organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did it on my elbows too, it was hard enough that way lol

Actually, doing a plank on your elbows is one of the advanced positions. It's easier to have your arms fully extended. There is some good information online about properly doing planks. Unfortunately if you don't do them correctly, you could aggravate an already hurt back. Your body should be completely engaged (tightened). You might find some good info at Girls Gone Strong.

Good luck with your challenge! Though I'm not really sure what a 5 minute plank really does for you. My preference is to progress the difficulty of my plank positions once I've hit the one-minute mark, such as side planks, star planks, up-up/down-down, 2-points, spiderman, bird-dog; etc.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I did it on my elbows too, it was hard enough that way lol

Actually, doing a plank on your elbows is one of the advanced positions. It's easier to have your arms fully extended. There is some good information online about properly doing planks. Unfortunately if you don't do them correctly, you could aggravate an already hurt back. Your body should be completely engaged (tightened). You might find some good info at Girls Gone Strong.

Good luck with your challenge! Though I'm not really sure what a 5 minute plank really does for you. My preference is to progress the difficulty of my plank positions once I've hit the one-minute mark, such as side planks, star planks, up-up/down-down, 2-points, spiderman, bird-dog; etc.

Yes we learned that about the elbow planks back in the beginning lol.

Thanks for your input. Many of us have moved through multiple variations on the planks since we started this thread, it's been an ever evolving thing
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Dang @Karlottap did you take a nap?!? Lol
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ ,Lol! It was a long time, but I wanted to push myself since I felt like I could. I am sore today though, but it's not bad! If I would have tried that about two years ago, the results would have required heavy opiates to tolerate the pain!

@organic_homestead, this "challenge" has become a do what you can for some of us. I have found new strength, and stamina, through this challenge. I read earlier in the thread a comment about the one minute thing. I don't think I would have progressed as far as I have without pushing myself to strive for longer. Every exercise I have tried has caused me pain, leading to an aversion to try again (yes, it's that bad). This planking is building my core strength, making exercise easier, and actually desirable, for the first time that I can recall since being a teenager! I've learned that "recommendations" are just that, recommendations. We all listen to advice, decipher, and use what works for us. There is no set plan that works for everyone. I'm finding improvements I didn't expect. I didn't even begin the challenge because of the pain I felt it would cause, but once the standing plank was posted it was on for me! And it's working! So, I will stick with building on my time, which will lead to building my strength. That's why I am pushing for longer times!

@auntstephie321, I'm glad it's not worse, but uh, shoveling snow! It's a good thing I don't live where we would need to add that to our daily activities during the winter! Keep healing!
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    50.34 seconds today! I will break a minute next week! Interesting info about the elbow position.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Karlottap couldn't have said it better myself <3

@merryone00 it's amazing how fast your strength builds with these. Excited for your update :)

Feeling back to normal today, yay! Nut sure if I'll plank my sister and get kids are coming to town today, they haven't been up in almost 6 years. Can't wait to have all my family in one place again :) even if it's just for 1 day.

Happy Valentine's Day to all my motivators and those who inspire me love you all!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Headache, nausea n some nasty gut stuff going on here so count me out for a few days.

Just here to say thanks for being inspiring everyone. Makes me want to go plank now. Last time I tried the dog who is way to tall to fit tried to nose her way underneath my plank. Was funny and nice but kind of lost the count at that point. Good luck all.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yay @MerryOne00 !! That's awesome!!

@auntstephie321, enjoy your family time! I'm glad your recovery has gone well! :smiley:

@SamandaIndia, it's funny that the furbabies think we are on the floor to play with them :smiley: Cute! I always use the stopwatch on my phone, since I don't trust myself at keeping up correctly. Hope you feel better soon! :smiley:

No planks, yet, for today! I have the evening to myself and plan to plank during that time today!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My son and I were watching biggest loser last night. During the commercials I had him planking with me. Normally I do it on my elbows because I have read that it is better to do it that wway because it engages more of your core. Well we were doing it with our arms extended. We got up to 1 minute and 25 seconds. I was very proud of my 10 year old.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    That's wonderful @wishfullthinking79 ! It's great to get your son involved! :smiley:

I decided not to plank yesterday since I was more sore than I expected after pushing it a bit on Saturday! So today, not feeling sore, decided all of my energy should go towards the floor plank! I made it to 1:50!! I did it on my knees, then would raise up to full horizontal plank for five second intervals (did this 4 times!) during this time!! My arms were the worst part, as I've seen many report this here, but are feeling so much stronger, and not even a twinge in my neck!! Super stoked at these results!! Will see how I feel tomorrow! :smiley:
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    No planks for me for a few days. Hoping to get back to it today. My sister and her family were in town it's been years since they've been able to come up. It was lots of fun but lots of chaos too. Here we are all together, my grandpa, my mom, all 4 of us and our spouse's plus all my nieces and nephews. :)6yuk2z1ppx5p.jpg
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Love the family picture! What a treasure!!

Been a bit sore today! Haven't attempted a plank today, but will try later!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    So, I tried last night, but the soreness said, "Nope!" Tried this morning and made it to 1:00. This is horizontal attempts, btw. I've decided to use my energy at that level, instead of the vertical. I'm disappointed, but know I pushed myself too hard on the last one! Will keep on working it! :smiley:

• joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So today @knitormiss told me that I can't listen to music because it's a crutch and not mindful

As long as your in that strict plank position you can do whatever you want. Now if you're meditating or doing yoga I would say be more mindful.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    joey4014 wrote: »
    So today @knitormiss told me that I can't listen to music because it's a crutch and not mindful

As long as your in that strict plank position you can do whatever you want. Now if you're meditating or doing yoga I would say be more mindful.

:) that comment was meant to be funny but mfp cut off half the post. It's not actually what she said I kinda changed it.

You are right though if it were for meditation which sometimes it is, music would be distracting.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Finished my plank program tonight. Probably a bad idea after shoveling some pretty heavy snow. We'll know in the am :#
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Made it to 1:50 on my knees! You encouraged me to try again before bed tonight. I didn't try to go up on my toes because I'm on a slippery floor (house sitting at the in-laws for tonight), and was scared I would slide. I notice the abs definitely engage more doing it horizontally! Takes a lot more core strength to remain steady! Made it back to my longest knee plank time, but may feel some soreness myself from this one. :neutral: Will see what tomorrow brings! :smiley: