How long can you plank for?

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting the urge to plank. I really shouldn't because my shoulders been hurting all day had to take Motrin twice. I can't let myself do it but it's getting hard cuz I feel like if I miss a day it'll start my spiral of laziness again.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @karlottap I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy. Sounds like thy have a good plan for going forward.
  • LiftRunRepeat22
    LiftRunRepeat22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 that looks like that's in high plank position (the flyer)Have you tried in a hover position? Easier on shoulders
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @auntstephie321 that looks like that's in high plank position (the flyer)Have you tried in a hover position? Easier on shoulders

Is the hover done on the forearms/elbows?
  • LiftRunRepeat22
    LiftRunRepeat22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, but cross forearms. If all else falls you can obviously reduce some weight by trying your knees. A lot of women in my class use that modification
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks I had been doing good till I pushed maybe a little too hard this week with some other exercise as well. I might not have been ready for the combo of both planks and Pilates
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Plank today after other ab work so back at 90 secs. Muscles know I have been doing ab work n lunges n squats. Feels good though, makes me think that the muscles are building, at least a little bit.

@auntstephie321 planks and pilates, you were crossing the beams- surprised you've survived! Good luck with recovery n love your enthusiasm
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just catching up on this forum (the best! why did I stop coming here every day?)

One of the things I have not backslid on much at all is planking. I've been doing planks on a regular basis for... 9 months now? Something like that. I know for sure I can hold one at least 2 minutes if I alternate between a straight plank and side planks, and a few tiny variations that keep me from getting bored or fatiguing the same exact muscles the entire time. I'll see how long I can hold one tomorrow. I can't seem to find the end of this thread. How long are you holding planks these days, @auntstephie321?

I'm not sure I will ever be able to hold a plank for five minutes, unless there is an actual knife underneath me. Even then, I'm not sure.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    2:56 with arm fatigue being my only symptom! Also, I measured distance from the wall, and I'm at 19 inches. I was scared it would hurt, but am so glad it didn't!_

That is AWESOME @Karlottap!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    The longest straight I got to was 3:30. I've since switched to this routine, I've been doing 2 sets a day. Though I didn't do any this weekend because my shoulder is acting up
    http://darebee.com/workouts/five-minute-plank-workout.html
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    2.5 mins full plank. Dog asleep near husband in next room so undisturbed. Arms, legs n stomach all wanting me to stop. Arms more than the others. Happy. Like the idea of the 5 min mixed plank routine. Thxs for sharing.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    2.5 mins full plank. Dog asleep near husband in next room so undisturbed. Arms, legs n stomach all wanting me to stop. Arms more than the others. Happy. Like the idea of the 5 min mixed plank routine. Thxs for sharing.

awesome job. no dog interference is helpful lol.

I like the mixed routine too, it really works all angles of your abs, the side planks can be a little rough but I gather you could start those in a modified pose maybe with your knee down. they really really work your oblique's though lol
  • SamandaIndia
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Yes you certainly have that right! Inspired by your mix poster I did the others after the 2.5 min plank and they were ok but side is tricky for me balance wise. Upper arms not happy right now, in a good way.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Yes you certainly have that right! Inspired by your mix poster I did the others after the 2.5 min plank and they were ok but side is tricky for me balance wise. Upper arms not happy right now, in a good way.

What's funny is I feel it in my upper arm too and I thought that it wasn't doing anything for my abs, then I touched my oblique and you can feel the muscle is hard as a rock engaged lol. It works
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    The longest straight I got to was 3:30. I've since switched to this routine, I've been doing 2 sets a day. Though I didn't do any this weekend because my shoulder is acting up
    http://darebee.com/workouts/five-minute-plank-workout.html

Dang girl! That's awesome!

Off to time my plank now, though I did some planking in Pilates class this morning, so those muscles are already a little fatigued.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    ...aaaand I am already feeling some sore spots in new places (we had a sub today). One minute into a straight plank, my inner voice warned me not to overdo it today. I listened, for once.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    ...aaaand I am already feeling some sore spots in new places (we had a sub today). One minute into a straight plank, my inner voice warned me not to overdo it today. I listened, for once.

good job listening to that inner voice, I never do that lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Nice work everybody!
    @auntstephie321 I hope your shoulder starts to feel better soon.
    I gave jogging/walking a go this morning. Didn't quite make it a mile with the jogging, since I've mostly never really tried before. But, it's a start.
    Also got just over 2 minutes of full planking in.
    Feeling great about today!
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Completed @auntstephie321's mixed planks this morning and 120 squats. Getting into a routine with this. Abs n arms too fatigued to do more than one min in a plank- needed the variety :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just checking in! The soreness extended into last evening, after working yesterday! So, I decided to avoid the plank again, and elected the heating pad instead!

You are all doing so wonderfully! I have no pain right no, so hoping for a better day (plus, I'm off today! :smiley: )!! Plank on!