OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies-
    The week is sailing along- this time of year is always so busy for me. Work and home.
    But I love the holidays and will be hosting the 24th and 25th for different sides of the family.
    I slipped with sweets over the last week but I'm back on track as of Monday and feeling much better. I did find some fruit and nut granola bars with a bit of chocolate drizzled through for the days when I just need something. 135 cals per so that is a manageable treat.
    MaryLynn- the items sound delish- I'll be by tomorrow for coffee ;)
    Patti- there is always a nasty person taking out there stress on others- smile and be gracious as I know you can be. Kill 'em with kindness I say.
    Karla- nightgown time = downtime. the books are on their way. Enjoy! I included extra book marks for you to share.
    Janet- how goes the organization?
    Suzi- Did you get back safely?
    Paula- how are you feeling.
    Need to run for now but I'll be back.
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You guys are so funny, I meant down time, but gown time is good too!! Lol.

Patti - I pray you are not disappointed when you get your first paycheck. After being a nurse it will be substantially reduced, but even after taxes and your poor tortured feet, it just may not be worth it. I'm sure you will analyze all of that. Were you able to find the shoes on sale? I know that will take away from your first check though.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. My Christmas tree is vertical - will decorate it this weekend. It makes me happy just to have it up. November was a bad food month for me, beyond several really good days, but at least I am still below where I was on October 1, so ... hoping to lose a few or at least not gain in December. Cindy, those are cute shoes! MqryLynn, thanks for the recipes. Karla, hope you get "gpwn" time today! Patti, how are the feet holding up? Please do be careful.

Time to shower and get ready to go to the theatre. Bug hugs to everyone!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Loved this day off. Lunch at the Kroger salad bar with my GF, low cost, low cal, high entertainment. Went to the shoe store at the mall that carries the Danskos. there are only 4 stores in town that carry them, one in each suburb. I tried on all the styles he had and they just are too uncomfortable. Also tried his recommendation of Allegrio which has cork insoles. Same high price, a bit more comfortable but he said there is a "break in" period before they become truly comfortable. I asked if they carried my beloved Sauconys and was pleasantly surprised when he said yes. He brought out one pair for me to try and they were like putting on a glove for my feet. Of all the shoes I have ever worn, Sauconys are the only ones that feel like they were made for my feet. The icing on the cake is that they were on sale for $50! So color me happy. Only downer on my day was getting signed up for health insurance. I made the best choice I could considering the person I was working with seemed less informed than I am. The only good piece of info was that Xerox is putting a little bit more in my HSA for this year. Not anywhere near what the increase in my premiums will be but will take what I can get.

Karla, I have no illusions about how much money I am making compared to my nurses salary. I just want some "free" money that is not for household bills. I am really loving this job. Talking with the customers and helping them complete their projects or start new ones. Being thanked for my input and help makes me smile. Most customers have a story to tell and I am truly enjoying that as well. I hope to continue working until summer and then go back or to another retail job in the late fall. I think they pay a bit more if you stay after the holidays, we shall see. My needs are simple, mostly just want money for crafting, movies and meals out with the girls. I will have more than enough for that.

Janet, I really miss having a tree but am also glad this year to not have it hanging over my head to get it up and decorated. I think I am going with minimal decorations this year. Just enough to put me in the mood but not so much for feel overwhelmed with the work. Thanks for BUG hugs, those are the best. Enjoy the theatre.

Cindy, thanks for the links and the help. At least it got me into the store to find the perfect for me shoes. It as a very small and medium xpensive shop and doubt I would have even gone in there if not for you suggesting the Danskos

Off to make some enchilada sauce and use up the last of my turkey in some enchiladas

Patti

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang. We got back from the lake yesterday but I'm down with another nasty cold. Dave just had to share! Good news was Ellis is gonna be a super little traveler - he just lays down in his bed and conks out. All he cares about is having his family with him. We took him on his first hike and he did well as long as Dinky was walking along in front of him. He got anxious and acted up some on the leash when he couldn't see Dinky. They're getting along well now and even play together some, although Ellis usually wants to play longer and rougher than Dinky does.

Forgive me for no personals today - I'm wiped out.

Suzi
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm home from Chicago. I had a great time, but am glad to be back home and in my own routine. I have a question for all of you. I use Bona for my wood floors, but I can't seem to get spots up totally. What does everyone use, and what could I do to get the spots that remain on the floor?

My brother's issues are becoming complicated. I feel it's time to relocate him as he needs more help. My problem is that our house isn't conducive to his ability to move around. So, I'm trying to figure out how/where to move him. I'm going to call the VA hospital today to discover options. Apparently, it's all falling in my lap, as he simply doesn't deal with things that need to be done.

Lindsey, our daughter is having a procedure today in hopes of becoming pregnant. I'm praying it works.

My eating has been pretty good. I'm still wanting to drop about 15 lbs, but am struggling.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

jjufpmgw3dul.jpg
    smt1akh7rujt.jpg
  • luzingg
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Good morning dear friends, I finally braved the scales and am happy to report I have not gained but sadly have not lost, lol. I am good with that. Going back to work has really helped me decrease my eating and gotten me more active. So now I hope the scale starts a downward trend. My son's house sold and they have until January 16th to clear out. They have most of their stuff at the new house already so basically they need to move all the furniture. Luckily they have a huge list of friends to call upon to do the moving so we will not be involved. Christmas will be at the new home which has a huge family room. Working 12-5 today. I really need to spend some time learning the store. I want to be able to direct the customers without having to ask someone else.

Suzi, welcome home, so sorry about the cold. Sounds like Ellis is fitting right in and I know he is well loved.

Bert, can't help you on the floor issue. Is your brother eligible for palliative care at the VA until his symptoms are better or are you looking for something more permanent? I hope the VA is able to help. I know we have VA subsidized apartments here. Your granddaughter is adorable in her costume. I bet the play was just as cute

Janet, how was the theatre?

Karla, hope your mammo went well and you get the all clear.

Mary Lynn, visions of you and Myron as you prepare for the holidays. How will you spend them?

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls-
    Quick check in for the day.
    Patti- so glad you've found comfy foot wear- it is important and enjoy the job- I think it is made for you.
    Janet- the tree up is a wonderful thing- we're enjoying ours too
    Karla- Are you and Glenn retiring this year? I can't remember
    Bert- the pictures are so darn cute- thanks for sharing
    MaryLynn- sorry I'm geographically challenged but do you see snow on the island?

Need to run for now but talk to you all later
    Cindy
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Good morning! The show was excellent. It pushes a lot of boundaries but has a joyful and mischievous spirit. The leads were fresh from the Broadway production. Had a blast. Dropped car off for maintenance and airbag recall repair, which entitles me to a free loaner. It should be ready tomorrow.

Patti, congrats on the scale. You'll learn the store in no time. Glad you found the Sauconys - I've always liked them too. Bug hugs! Also big ones, which are much better.

Bert, the kids look so cute in their Lion King costumes. So sorry you have the burden of an indecisive brother - we're here to support you.

Suzi, glad Ellis will be a good little traveler. He and Dinky will be great pals very soon. Feel better - Dave's just a giver ...

Going to rest a bit - got to bed after 1 and was out the door again at 6. Later!

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Hi ladies. A week full of appointments here. I am at the neurologist now. The neuralgia continues in my left eye area and into my scalp and the Trokendri just doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm so downtrodden about it all. Sorry to whine.

Patti- Congrats on the scale. You will be fine with being away from the kitchen. Are you still in Onederland? I'm still in the 190's, just can't seem to bust out of them permanently. Ugghhh. I'm hoping to get to my sewing this weekend. Did you purchase the Saucony?

Janet- What kind of loaner car did you get to drive? Chevy always gives new models for their customers and I love that.

Cindy- We are looking at April for Glenn's retirement. We already have the cruise booked with three other couples to celebrate!!

I really liked Glenn's new surgeon yesterday. You could tell he was experienced, confident and well versed in this field. Thank goodness!

I just want to go lay down myself Suzi! I have a burning throats and cough. You slow down and take care.

Tomorrow I have another pampering session with a facial at Massage Envy. I loved the Dr Murad products. He is a dermatologist and a pharmacist!

TT: what holiday events do you have on your agenda? A yearly movie you enjoy? A play? A family party?

Karla

My answer- next Wednesday Angelique and I are taking Izzy and her BFF to our Saenger Theatre to see Babes in Toyland play. This Saturday is my BFF's family party and the 10th will be Izzy's birthday party at the Housr of Bounce.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Home, yeah! 5 hours flies by and I am averaging 10K steps in that time. Had several rude customers but so many more that are patient, kind and grateful for my assistance. The shoes worked out well. I found the same model on line and I think I am going to order them as a back up. I usually need to buy new ones every 6-8 months.

Janet, hope you get to bed earlier tonight. Glad you are getting your airbag fixed. Enjoy the rental.

Karla, yes I am still in Onederland. Happy to say I have never left it, have skated pretty close to leaving a time or two but that hasn't happened. I did buy the Sauconys, at that price I couldn't turn them down. Hope you got some good answers from the neuro to control your symptoms. Seems there should be several drugs on the market to choose from. Have you persued disability yet?

QOTD: I will be spending the day with my Yayas baking on the 14th. That is the only thing on the schedule until Christmas Eve with the family.

Gonna rest my tired toes and then heat up some enchiladas, which turned out so good. Making my own enchilada sauce using the tomato sauce I froze makes them so much tastier than the canned stuff.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hi - Dealership gave me a CR-V, which is what I normally drive. My car should be ready by end of day tomorrow.

Karla, glad to hear of your confidence in Glenn's new surgeon. What did the neurologist suggest for you?

TT: I own a ton of Christmas movies and classic TV shows on DVD and will watch them all, and I have an absurdly large collection of Christmas music. When my nieces were little, we used to bake cookies together. I will travel, as always.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Yesterday was a busy one. This morning will be spent getting Power Point ready for Sunday service. Then, it's off to the store to get some groceries. I definitely need to get some healthy options for snacking. I've been doing ok, but really want to lose 15 lbs. and lower my cholesterol and triglycerides as they were on the high side according to my blood test results. Any suggestions on foods that will help with the situation? I already eat whole grains, try to stay away from beef, eat eggs only a couple of days per week, and concentrate on salads and raw veggies.

I got a response from my brother yesterday. He just simply wants to wait and let God show him what to do. I believe God shows us the way, but wants us to make decisions for ourselves, and He will guide us through the decisions we make. I'm between a rock and a hard place at times.

Dan texted me the other night and told me Christmas Vacation was on tv. It warmed my heart because this was one of our tradtitions when both boys were still at home; that movie, Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas Story, and Claymation Christmas. One year Dan bought all of us the DVD's of Claymation and Christmas Story.

Bert

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning gals. So very good to read how you are all doing. My neurologist gave me some 50mg of my Trokendri and says when the neuralgia hits during the day, to take one right then. Geez, so sick of medication therapy, but what else is there? I advised him also of my frustration of my eyes with working, the failure of seizing with the prednisone, the disappointment in it all.

Patti- Good news on yours shoes, continuance in Onederland and time with your YaYa's. You have a full and wonderful life.

Janet- Like you, I have my tree vertical, awaiting ornaments. It is revolving though, and switching back and forth between all clear bulbs and colored. I love this tree. I'm watching sappy Hallmark Christmas movies today as I piddle around the house. Finally a "gown" day at home. Lol. I watched the new Gilmore Girls Netflix, and enjoyed it, so now am going to watch the series. Cute family drama. The mother killed me in the new version, loved her boldness to her committee of snobs. Lol. Yes, this surgeon for Glenn is very confident, fingers crossed. He also said no big wound care job for me or lengthy recovery for Glenn.

Bert- So sorry about the continued stress with your brother. I agree with you that God expects us to make our own decisions and will support us. My heart is with you. I saw where Wal-Mart had a container system for measuring in the Seen on Tv section like yours.

Going to put some chili or soup on today, straighten up the home and decorate the mantle before I head to my facial this afternoon. On the Gilmore Girls, I didn't realize this is where Melissa McCarthy started her acting career, she is so young in the original series!

I am off for more chilling out and relaxing around my home!! Yea!!! Have a fabulous day.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    TGIF ya'll

Bert, the hardest thing to do is nothing when we see our loved ones making or not making decisions about their life and health. But the bottom line, it is up to him. You can try to guide and give input but he still has the final say. I hope he sees the light but all you can do is support him and gently push him to make wiser choices. As far as diet recommendations, you are doing a lot right. One article I read recommended eating more plant based protein and not as much whole grain. Make sure the fiber in your diet is water soldiers able like steel cut oats, apples and pears with the skin on. Also raspberries are one of the highest sources of fiber. Avocados, salmon, and nuts. Stay away from processed foods. And limit your carbs and sugar. Most of this I am sure you know.

Karla, what is the word from your neuro? Praying they gave you some help.

Edd has gone to the cabin for the weekend so I am getting some alone time. I am off tomorrow and have to work 5 hours on Sunday. Hoping to spend time in my craft room. Have tons of new stamps set, embossing folders and die cutting tools I have never used. My Christmas cards are all made, just need to be noted, signed and mailed. Was hoping to spend time with my daughter on Saturday but haven't heard back from her. Since she works 12-8pm she gets precious little time with her husband and I will totally understand if she wants to spend the time with him.

Have a glorious day
    Patti
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hi again, got my first paycheck today, whoohoo! Got 11K steps and the time just flew. Worked with an "expert" today. She has been there for 10 years and knows everything. I learned so much from her today. I did go in a bit early and familiarized myself better with the fabrics we carry and where they are located. Trying to rely less on others and be more helpful to our customers. Looking forward to a day all to myself tomorrow.

Karla, confidence in Glenn's new surgeon is a great place to start for his next surgery and knowing there will be no extensive wound care for you has to be a big relief to you both.

Ok, relaxation begins now!
    Patti
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. My arthritis is definitely in full force this morning. I took a pill this morning hoping for it to calm down. Today will be spent making wise choices in the eating department (so wanting to shed 15 lbs) and sorting and wrapping Christmas presents. I'm also hoping to get Mike out to attend our local symphony's Christmas program this evening. He's such a homebody anymore!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Bert, hope you feel better. Glad you're going to the symphony - nothing like music to feed the soul. Patti, congrats on the paycheck - you deserve your quiet time & I know you'll have fun in your craft room. Going for a good, on-plan day today and am going with my et-nothing-until-at-least-11 plan again. Much to do but haven't chosen a plan yet. Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a wonderful day. Smile. Laugh. Make good choices. Hugs!
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning friemds. Well, Glenn and I have gotten all the Christmas décor down from the attic and he boxes filled up half of our double garage. LOL. I definitely will not put it all out this year. I am still watching the Hallmark Christmas movies this morning as I decorate. Glenn and I actually had an adult evening. Unfortunately I am still coughing and with a sore throat. It is tolerable during the day, but when you lie down, you cough all night.

Bert - The coldness may be getting into your bones. I hoped the pill helped.

Janet - Are you working on your tree also as you linger in your home this weekend? Listening to your Bose system to some wonderful Christmas tunes? Do you like the Mannheim Steamroller music? I was fortunate to go to their concert here in Mobile a couple years ago.

Patti- I hope your paycheck was the mad-money you need to enjoy your YaYa's. That is the main reason I continued to work part-time after I retired from the corporate world in 2008. That, and people kept calling me to come help them!! Have you seen those foot warmer and massage machines? I bet they would feel like heaven to your feet after a hard day's work.

Cindy - I have not gotten the books. Did you send me the tracking number? I hope the positive energy between Rick and you has continued.

I'm finishing this tearjerker movie and then going to resume with the tree. We have a Christmas party tonight. We are taking Izzy with us, as little Robert, my BFF's grandson, will be there, as well as other children. They will roast marshmellows outside, play kid's dirty Santa and have lots of fun. Monica has a HUGE family. This is the first time in years it hasn't fallen on the same night as Glenn's family party. Yeaaa!!

I pray that each of you relaxes and enjoys the season. That you look into the beauty of Christmas and what it represents. Listen to the tunes and watch the sappy movies. LOL.

Karla

I