July check in and chat: barbell-lovin' BAMFs in training

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've had an incredibly busy couple of weeks and I'm just getting back into it. I've made myself a plan for this week, kind of like a mini deload, so I can get back to my previous working weights. It's workout day today but i have to go to work first (just 2.5 hrs today though, so nothing too strenuous)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Only a footpath under the bridge thankfully!

Off to Barcelona this arvo so will have WiFi in hotel but no exercise or food logging, I'm enjoying my holiday and started with a beer last night after my v painful wax..
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

This thread moves fast!! You guys are all awesome and amazing!

I bit the bullet and de-loaded my squats from 145 to 95 lbs and made sure I went ATG. Well, well - obviously that was the right thing to do because it was hella hard and the next couple of days I had some muscle soreness in my hams/glutes. Will build by 5 lb increments and see where that gets me. I will get back to those big plates with perfect form, oh yes.

I was able to add 5 lbs to my OHP, finally - up to 50 lbs after being at 45 lbs FOREVER - whoo hoo!

Didn't get to my deads because my son's swimming lesson was over and I had to get him from the pool. Warm up sets only.

Missed my lifting workout on Saturday because I forgot my gym clothes (!!) - fortunately, I did have my swim suit so I swam lengths for half an hour. Nice to be back in the pool!

Joanne

A while ago, I also deloaded and worked on form and going ATG....moving back up has been very slow. It is MUCH harder to go down low and then get back up!

So, you may not increase as quickly, at least I haven't, but I think I'm getting more out of it from ATG and doing it right.

YAY on the OHP....I've been stuck at 75 FOREVER, but I think I may be able to move up after today's workout.
  • grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    O.M.G. I was wiped today! Guess I was feeling "frisky" and decided to go ahead and up my squats and bench by 2.5 lbs. I totally must remember that I'm NOT as young as I used to be...

Squats - 102.5 lbs 5 x 5 - a bit of a struggle, but got them done with (mostly) good form
    Bench - 82.5 lbs 5 5 5 3 :noway: arms said "nope, we're done" on the 4th rep. I rolled, deloaded to 75 lbs and managed 2 x 5 with good form.
    Rows - 45 lbs 2 x 5, 50 lbs 2 x 5, 55 lbs 2 x 5, 60 lbs 2 x 5, 65 lbs 5 x 5, all done with decent form. I was beyond spent by the time I got to these. Whew!

My nutrient breakdown from yesterday = 1922 cal, 115 gr carbs (21 gr fiber, 94 net), 92 gr fat, 143 gr protein. I'm not having any adverse reactions to upping my carbs to this level, perhaps I should go a wee-teensy bit higher? Surely that's enough calories. All I can say is I'm beat to an absolute frazzle after my workout today. Had a banana when I got up, a protein shake made with whole milk after the workout, by the end of today my nutrient breakdown should be: 1843 cal, 83 gr carbs (22 gr fiber, 61 net), 110 gr fat, and 142 gr protein. The calories, carbs & fiber will be slightly different (more) because I haven't decided what vegetable I'm having with my roast tonight. Heck, I might just eat a baked sweet potato with it rather than a green veggie - or both even. Oh yeah, add more fat 'cause I'll be adding butter to my veggies, whatever they may be. Tweak, tweak, tweak, one of these days I'll figure out exactly what works!
  • grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A while ago, I also deloaded and worked on form and going ATG....moving back up has been very slow. It is MUCH harder to go down low and then get back up!

Heheh, I find it super easy to get ATG, it's the getting back up that is difficult! :wink:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Heheh, I find it super easy to get ATG, it's the getting back up that is difficult! :wink:

So true!

I'm off from lifting today. We're in the middle of a heat wave (90+ and humid). I brought my kayak to work, so I'm aiming to go for a paddle and swim this afternoon :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I missed Monday as I just got too busy so today was dead lift day

Squats 5xbar, 5x 30kg and 5x5 at 37.5kg (82.6lb)

OHP 5xbar 5x12kg (2 6kg bells) 5 more on the bar and then 2x5 at 12kg. I wanted to try with the bar 3 times but by the end of the 3rd set overall I could barely even get it over my head, my whole body was shaking with the effort :laugh: :blushing: and some other dude had the 8kg bells so I used 6's. I could have gone upstairs and got a flyweight bar and plated but that will do for now. so 5x20kg (45 lb) 5x 12 (26 lb) 5x 20kg then 2x5 12kg

Dead lift 5xbar (45 lb), 5x30kg (66 lb) and 5x35kg (77lb)

I noticed today that my form is off for squats and deads. I was conscious I was somewhat unlevel but the extra 2.5kg has really shown up that I twist to the left as I do them so more of the strength is coming from my left leg. I have out of line hips, my right is a good inch higher than my left. I also have a slightly ****y right knee. So my plan for now is to stick with 35kg as my squat weight - I was ok on those and work on form. I only have a 1 month trial membership which is over at the end of the month. Then I go to spain for 3 weeks. I may join for real when I come back but my main aim was just to get a bit fitter and stronger again as I have not trained for about 18 months. So I don't want to do a mega deload and obsess about form but I also don't want to injure myself. In the long run physio would perhaps benefit me but I will cross that bridge when I get back.

On a side note I weigh 52kg or 115lb and as % of my bodyweight I am pretty happy with those figures considering I started about 2 weeks ago :D

ETA - I also did 30 pike leg raises and a load of crunches and glute bridges. I need to find some more core exercises though. All the ones I know don't really challenge me any more.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Roxy - if you are twisting, just back off a little bit, like maybe 15-20%, and add in some core work - that very much sounds like a core issue to me.

Jo - I have to remind myself that I'm not 23 anymore every time I go to the gym! :smile:

Texas, day 2:
    Squats 2x5 120 Yep, you read that right. Texas is set up so that you have an active recovery day in the middle of the week. Loving it!
    OHP 3x5 65 - 90% of my 5RM, plus lower volume.

Then supersets of back extensions/leg lifts/woodchoppers in 5x10, some inverted rows, and some chins and dips. I repeated my chin up, which was cool - but my next two sets I couldn't get all the way up, so I went as far as I could, then added in some negatives. For my dips I managed 2 in each set.

So far, so good - loving the mid-week break that allows me to cram in a bunch of accessory stuff without feeling like I'm taking away from my main lifts and/or recovery. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt that my body wanted me to eat 2,800 calories yesterday. So I did. Used to be, I would have freaked out about that, going 800 over, but yesterday my body was being very clear - EAT, it said. So I ate. I was sluggish and tired all day until I crossed the 2600 mark, and then all of a sudden I had a normal amount of energy - and today my appetite is back to normal. NSV for me - listening to my body, believing it is telling me the truth, and doing what is best for my recovery!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Workout A this morning. I've been experimenting with training fasted. I can't eat a full breakfast before exercise, but I used to have a banana or a cup of yogurt or something. Nothing this morning and nothing before my last run and so far so good! No ill effects during either of my work-outs.

Squat - 100lbs x 5 x 5
    Bench - 70lbs x 5 x 4
    Row - 70lbs x 2 x 5 and 75lbs x 3 x 4
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Roxy - look on page 2 of the discussion threads. I added a thread about core exercises a few weeks ago that has some beginner and more difficult exercises. If you don't see something you like in there, let me know and I am sure I can pull something else out of my hat.

Kira - WTG on the NSV!!!! It isn't always easy to listen to the body. Glad that it worked out for you!

Well, I'm adding an extra rest day today. I had a deep tissue massage yesterday and, as expected, I feel like I've been run over today and dealing with a headache. I can tell that it will be good in the long run because I was SO very tight. Most of the work was done in my glutes and shoulders/back. Hopefully I'll start being able to engage them all a bit better now. I had noticed the reduction in getting them to contract when necessary. So LOTS of water for me today and maybe a nap in a few.
  • roxylola
    Options
    I have had a look through that - my problem is remembering them when I am at the gym :blushing: I may write down a few and take them with me so I can shake my routine up a bit.

Regards my twist, I don't think it is a core issue as actually my core has always been pretty tight although I like core work so happy to do more. There are some hip issues that run in the family and I suspect my unlevelness is a result of that. Then because I am unlevel one side is stronger and under pressure is becoming dominant.

I may have a stab at some one legged style squats (bulgarian?) And see if I can at least get the muscles working equally even if I can't equalise my twisted pelvis. In addition to the 5x5 though.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a chiropractor or massage therapist? I have issues with my left hip being higher than the right so it can shift the power load. If the bone structure isn't the cause you may find some relief in an adjustment or muscle relaxation. You can always do a single leg squat (think like the skater pose in speed skating) with one leg back as you bend down. Pistol squats are effective as well, but can take a bit of work to get them down. Bulgarian split squats are another good one.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sorry Roxy - should have fleshed out my response a bit more. I also have uneven hips, and I have found that the more I focused on strengthening my core, the more I was able to control my twist during squats - given, I discovered this in the process of a major deload to fix other form issues. . .
  • roxylola
    Options
    I think building my core would help for sure - never hurts to do this anyway. My hips have been twisted for well over half my life if not more. Trouble is I want to make the most of having the gym for the rest of the month. I may give some sort of split squat a shot for the time being, I will look in to some sort of physio/chiro and keep working the core too.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Also, just googled pistol squats, I would fall over a lot!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Morning all

Squats 5x5 @57.5 (126lbs) - again still feeling okish on these - noticed my right knee twisting in a bit of the last 2 of set 5 .
    Bench 5x5 @ 25kg (55lbs) felt good on this - I adjusted my position slightly which seems to have helped so 27.5 here I come!
    Pendlays rows 5x5 @ 30kg (66lbs) still wobbly on the last few of each set - extended my rest time inbetween sets 3, 4, 5 which helped my hit the reps - will try one more work out with this and then go up.
    3x14 reverse crunches, 3x5 body inverted body rows, 10x jackknifes, 8 x push ups, 8 x chin ups, 4x no feet on the ground chin ups, 52 air squats
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Girding my loins to leave the hotel, after a close call with a pickpocket en route yesterday, and discovering that my cap was stolen (why?!) I'm feeling uncharacteristically withdrawn.. going to park guell today, and tickets booked for the sagrada familia tomorrow before our posh lunch. Other than that wandering and coffee shops ahoy!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on this group in a while as I have moved over to Texas method and loving it, great to have a read through and see bad *kitten* girls smashing it :love: :drinker:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    with regards to the hip issue and rotating during squats, def do some accessory 1 leg lifts and core focus also I tried this before my heavy day last week and it made a big difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

really opens up the joint, i did this after my warm up and dynamic stretching and then went onto increasing warm up sets before my max 1x5 and it all seemed much easier than the week before :smile:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    B session this morning. I managed to increase my squat to 5x5 @ 30kg, surprisingly! I was still sore from Tuesday, but made it through ok. I did 1 set of OHP with the oly bar, then dropped down to a weighted bar of 17kg for the next 4. Hopefully next time I can do 2 sets or more... And I did 1x5 deads @ 45kg. I'm quietly chuffed with the progression :wink: