July check in and chat: barbell-lovin' BAMFs in training

Options

Replies

• inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    week 9

squats 5x 5@ 67.5kg (148lbs)
    again feel - ok apart from god darn it that bar was weighing down heavy on shoulder bone today
    bench 5,4,5,4,4 @ 30kg (66lbs)
    on those 4 ones - that bar would not go up at all - it was like every part on me was just saying nope... .
    pendlay rows 5x5@ 32.5kg (71.6lbs)

I ate all the food yesterday was hungry like a hungry thing. Not sure if the cornflake crispy incident on Friday night has flicked a switch in me (as I easily managed 18 of them..nom nom nom yummy yummy in my tummy.) had a carb attack effect on me - as today again I am starving!!! - literally if any food stuffs come near me right now I will eat you! so be warned.

Happy lifting ladies. x
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Week 2, day 1 of Texas :)

Squats 5x5@155 lb
    OHP 4x5@85 (wasn't feeling a 5th set).
    DL - attempted 1x5@ 205. I made 3 reps before taking 5 lbs off and finishing the last 2 @ 200. So heavy. I will probably attempt 205 again for the next few weeks until I can do all 5 in a row without taking mini-breaks (10-20 sec or so) between each rep.

I tend to not eat well on the weekends. I don't think I go over my calories (at least by much), but I generally don't log and I tend to graze on carbs all day. I should probably make more of an effort to at least eat a normal dinner on Sunday night.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!!

Workout B tonight. I'm getting close to the end of round 2 of StrongLifts, and I need to figure out what I want to do next.

Repeat weights across the board
    Squats: 170lbs 3x5---form felt a lot better on these this time. Hanging here again for next workout and then go from there.
    OHP: 70lbs 3x5---Fricking finally got all 3x5. I paid extra close attention to hip wiggle this time :wink: I think the 3 minute rest time is what did it, though.
    Deadlift: 200lbs 1x5---Heavy but doable. My poor hands are a-hurtin'. I'm growing some fabulous callouses.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Kind of hilarious that I'm going to post this after reading everyone's humongous weights, but here goes:

Workout A

Squats: No weight at present
    Bench press: 47 lb (bar plus 2 lb)
    Barbell row: 30 lb (bar only)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Well done Abbey! It's not the weights themselves, it's you vs the weights :-)
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Abbey - I started 9 weeks ago lifting 5kg and posting! be proud and only ever be in competition with yourself!

week 9
    squats 5x5@ 70kg (154lbs) happy dance
    OHP - 5,5,4,5,4 @ 25kg (55lbs) - aaagggggh tried hip wiggle/flex nope - this move hates me - been stuck for 2 weeks so going to do 3x5 next time! (daisy vs OHP! it is ON!)
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 75kg (165lb) happy dance
    usual accessories: planks, 1 min, 45 secs, 1min, 26 full sit ups, 3x6 inverted body weight rows, 102 air squats, 8 full push ups, 8 chin ups, 4 no feet touching chin ups.

ladies - how do i defeat these ohps? is there a good accessory anyone can recommend?

Happy lifting. x
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I got back into it today with an A session. I deloaded (edited for typo) my squat back to 25kilos, and videoed myself doing them, so will work out how to upload them and get some feedback. I reckon I'm falling forward a bit and need to focus on not letting my knees collapse in. I videoed my rows too as I don't really know what I'm doing with them. I've watched the pendlay row clip on Stronglifts a few times, but still a bit perplexed. Anyways, today's numbers were - squat 5x5 @ 25, bench 5x5 @ 25 as well and pendlay row (or my mangled attempt) 5x5 @ 30. I'm glad I got back into it. I might have an up and down trip, but I'm still going to end up stronger than if I never started :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    well done getting back on it! on your phone (if that's how you videoed) it probably has a 'share' option, select you tube, create an account, and bob's your father's brother :)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yesterday on the ranch:
    Squats 5x5 165 I had the hubs video me for a quick form check - relieved to see I'm still solid. And looking gooooooood. :smile: Seriously - if I hadn't known it was me, I would have wondered who that hot chick was. A good reminder that much of what I still see in the mirror is not what other people see.

Bench 5x5 100

Deadlifts 1x5 190 As usual, I had to make a loud noise on the 5th one, and sent some college-age girls into fits of giggles. I just looked at them and said "You try picking up almost 200 pounds from the floor and see if you can do it silently" (in a joking voice), and thankfully it turned into a conversation about the deadlift and why it's such a great exercise and I showed them how to get started.

Then I mistakenly thought I'd do some speed intervals on the elliptical, but my legs had other ideas. Mainly eating the food and sitting down ideas.

Spent the rest of the day at a waterpark, and there today, too - Thank goodness tomorrow is another recovery day!

And Abbey - others have said it better - but you are the only person you are in competition with. Strength has to start somewhere - getting in there and lifting is the big win, not the amount you lifted!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So what is a BAMF???

Anyway, I can post in here now!

Last night, first weight workout EVER.

Squats: 45 lbs
    Bench: 45 lbs
    Rows: 65 lbs

Will increase weight on bench and rows by 5lbs each. Squats will stay the same until I get my form down. So thrilled to be a part of this group! And someday hope to be posting some of the massive weights some of you amazing women do. And, let's be honest, I'd like to have the *kitten* that some of you ladies have! LOL
  • grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So what is a BAMF???

Anyway, I can post in here now!

Last night, first weight workout EVER.

Squats: 45 lbs
    Bench: 45 lbs
    Rows: 65 lbs

Will increase weight on bench and rows by 5lbs each. Squats will stay the same until I get my form down. So thrilled to be a part of this group! And someday hope to be posting some of the massive weights some of you amazing women do. And, let's be honest, I'd like to have the *kitten* that some of you ladies have! LOL

I'm thinking it's bad-a$$ed mother-f.... but I could be wrong. That's what I read every time I read it. Yeah, I tend to have a potty mouth.
  • grandmoo
    Options
    Shoot.Me.Now. AND I.must.remember.I'm.not.30.anymore!

So, I hadn't been to lift since the 17th. I was psyched about getting back in the gym yesterday, only I wasn't sure what to do in this situation, I made up a little workout of my own. BIG mistake. Rather than deload a bit and carry on, I did the following:

Squats: 45x12, 55x10, 65x8, 75x6, 85x4, 95x2
    DL: 45x12, 55x10, 65x8, 75x6, 85x4, 95x2, 105x2, 115x2, 125x2
    Bench: 45x12, 50x10, 55x8, 60x6, 65x4, 70x2, 75x2, 80x2
    OHP: 15x12, 25x10, 35x8, 45x1 (by then I was just too freakin' tired to do much of anything.

THEN I drove 3 hours to Columbus OH, sat around for about an hour, then drove back 3 hours.

My poor thighs hate me. Up the stairs, down the stairs, sitting down, standing up, AAAAAAAAAARGH! When, oh when will I learn that just because my head feels 30, my body hasn't seen 30 for 24 years? {sigh} Eating ibuprofen like candy.

Today I did 10 minutes at an incline of 10/speed of 3-3.5 mph, then worked on core. If my legs are still borked tomorrow I'm not sure what I'll do.

Endeavor to persevere...
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Workout B last night, went pretty well, except for the bloody OHPs. At some point, I will hit 60 on those!

Squat - 110lbs x 44444 - New record!
    OHP - 55lbs x 66634 - I was going pretty well and then my arms just checked out on me, hence the last two sets.
    Deadlift - 125lbs x 5 - Finally managed that last rep!

I have one more workout this week, then I'm gone for 4 days, and then next week and I'm done with the 12 weeks. I'll have two weeks where I can really only do bodyweight exercises, and I'll probably take one of those weeks off entirely. I'm wondering what to do after that.
    a) Stick with Stronglifts, which I like, but I'd like to change up the routine a bit.
    b) Splurge the $35 or something on the Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass program.
    c) The Jamie Eason LiveFit 12 week program on Bodybuilding.com, but with some modifications, like dropping the reps from 12 to 6-8.

Thoughts?
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    A today, still on my slow build back up (just in time to go on holiday 10 Aug for a week...)

Squats - 45kg, irritatingly felt hard! 3x5
    bench - 32.5kg straightforward 3x5 and was using legs well :)
    Pendlays - 35kg BOOyah! 3x5

Mr-unsolicited-advice was on the rack next to me (once the guys doing that hump-the-bar exercise had cleared out..) or as I should now call him 'Peter' lol.. this time no unsolicited advice but a lot of gumf about how he is ex-royal-marine and although in mid-40s is on 1200 a day cals no carbs because he's trying to get leaner again and how he had a hypo faint in front of his wife and carbs are evil and unnecessary blah blah blah.

I just said they are necessary for a life worth living lol!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Lydia - So many holidays!!! Sounds like it has been a fun summer for you.

First day back under the bar in about 2 weeks for me. I met up with the girl from the powerlifting team and I did the three primary lifts with her and she gave me some pointers. Most of the tips were with the squat and the deadlift. On the squats, I need to work on getting my knees to track over my toes. So think will come down to playing with stance and foot angle. She also picked up on the fact that my left leg is a "lazy" leg and seems to only be there support. That was a first for that comment, but I know my left is a weaker side. Deadlift comments involved keeping my shoulders back, chest up, and finding the right starting level for my hips. Bench press was good overall.

So my lifts today were:
    Squat: 2x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115. This is where I saw the most decline for the break. But I was also playing around with stance and keeping my knees out. Plan is to drop down on weight here and work on finding the balance to keep my knees out over my toes.

Bench: 1x5 @ 95, 115 and 1x3 120, 125 - Overall, it felt pretty good, hard, but good. They had a better power rack that I could bench in so the safety bars were a mental boost. I have to work on my pause at the bottom for competition.

DL: We just worked on form so I did quite a few sets of various reps at 135, 155, and 175.

She also showed me the glute ham raise and that was HARD....I know what I need to work on for sure.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    go jstout you! so jealous you got such great help!

yes, it does seem a lot of holidays huh?! we've also booked October half term off and a gorgeous cottage in Kent to go to.. so Devon and Kent aren't as exotic as Barcelona but we'll have fun with the kids! :)

http://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/devon/mid-and-east-devon/lower-burston-stables-cottage
    and
    http://www.boykemanorcottages.co.uk/wrenandblackbirdcottages/

:)
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    coquette - I'm a few weeks behind you and I'm also looking at where to go next - I know Kira is loving the texas method, and I also liked the look madcrow - or whether I should do a hybrid mix it all up type thing? be interested to see where you decide to go. x

lwwodroff - you need to wonder - I still can't believe that for years I ate 1200!!! - thats nearly my breakfast now...

Jstout - that sounds great , what great advice would have loved to been a fly on the wall! top tips ahoy.
    I've seen the youtubes of the glute ham raises - eeek! up there with pistol squats for me !)

Moo - behave you may not be 30, but you kick serious lifting a**!!
  • grandmoo
    Options
    coquette - I'm a few weeks behind you and I'm also looking at where to go next - I know Kira is loving the texas method, and I also liked the look madcrow - or whether I should do a hybrid mix it all up type thing? be interested to see where you decide to go. x

lwwodroff - you need to wonder - I still can't believe that for years I ate 1200!!! - thats nearly my breakfast now...

Jstout - that sounds great , what great advice would have loved to been a fly on the wall! top tips ahoy.
    I've seen the youtubes of the glute ham raises - eeek! up there with pistol squats for me !)

Moo - behave you may not be 30, but you kick serious lifting a**!!

I believe in this case, lifting seriously kicked mine - still soooo sore, I'm going to do nothing except go to work today, but thanks for the thought - lol. A complete day of rest. And tomorrow I might try the same thing I did Monday again, I'm hard-headed like that. Only rather than deads I'd be doing rows. But maybe do OHP first this time so I don't tire out. Then I'd have 'til Monday to recover and start back doing SL as it's supposed to be done.

Lift on, strong ladies!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I have one more workout this week, then I'm gone for 4 days, and then next week and I'm done with the 12 weeks. I'll have two weeks where I can really only do bodyweight exercises, and I'll probably take one of those weeks off entirely. I'm wondering what to do after that.
    a) Stick with Stronglifts, which I like, but I'd like to change up the routine a bit.
    b) Splurge the $35 or something on the Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass program.
    c) The Jamie Eason LiveFit 12 week program on Bodybuilding.com, but with some modifications, like dropping the reps from 12 to 6-8.

Thoughts?

I'm on my second week of Texas, and I really like it. I think I'm a week or so behind Kira :). If you like the general format of SL but want a little change, you might like it. With Texas, you're still doing two or three big lifts every time, but you alternate between a medium high volume (5x5), light low volume (2 or 3x5) and heavy low (1x5 or 1RM) volume day. Deadlifts are once a week; power cleans are once a week (in place of rows). Kira gave me a link to a spreadsheet that you can use to calculate all the weight you should be at for 6 weeks
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks cleo, I'll look into the Texas method. I looked at 5/3/1 and Mad Cow and both looked more complicated then I wanted, but if there's a spreadsheet for Texas that might be okay. I know someone on here is doing Beautiful Badass (or at least one of the BB programs) too.

(PS: Cleo, the first time I saw your name, I read it as Cleo-Therio and thought you were a reproduction veterinarian. :laugh: )