Daily check in

Options

Replies

• msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My friend is a food pusher. She's always saying "take more of this" or "eat more, I made too much food". I try to decline kindly but she just keeps at it. It's like a permission slip to binge for me! I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable telling her that I have a problem with food.
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    My friend is a food pusher. She's always saying "take more of this" or "eat more, I made too much food". I try to decline kindly but she just keeps at it. It's like a permission slip to binge for me! I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable telling her that I have a problem with food.

I have a couple of friends like this, and it is the worst. I actually told one of them that I have a problem with food, and it didn't even help. In some ways, I felt like it made things worse, like they were "testing" me (I'm sure most people are not like that though!). Not cool at all. But I totally understand how you feel. I guess the best thing you can do is try not to binge in anticipation of this, and then try to listen to your body when you are there. If you overeat or even binge, then fine. Just try to let it end there and not continue bingeing when you come home. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Here's what I would do. Take what's offered, slip it onto my plate, then fiddle around with it until it's pulverized. Or slip it to the dog. Or maybe try being honest and firm. "No, thank you. I've had enough." Say it without a smile. No wiggle room. Or in private, ask if she would continually offer a recovering alcoholic a drink? Or an addict a time? This is no different.

Me? I'm binging. Huge bowl of popcorn, entire bowl of jello, (I made a double batch, so that's 8 servings) a thing of string cheese, and I've finished it off with not one but TWO Fiber One bars as punishment. What is this happy horse squeeze? I lost two pounds! Finally! Why am I doing this??? >:)
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's what I would do. Take what's offered, slip it onto my plate, then fiddle around with it until it's pulverized. Or slip it to the dog. Or maybe try being honest and firm. "No, thank you. I've had enough." Say it without a smile. No wiggle room. Or in private, ask if she would continually offer a recovering alcoholic a drink? Or an addict a toke? This is no different.

Me? I'm binging. Huge bowl of popcorn, entire bowl of jello, (I made a double batch, so that's 8 servings) a thing of string cheese, and I've finished it off with not one but TWO Fiber One bars as punishment. What is this happy horse squeeze? I lost two pounds! Finally! Why am I doing this??? >:)
  • ab6046
    Options

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear your day isn't going so well. However, it sounds like you are early enough that you can stop and not feel too guilty! If you are anything like me (which, you seem to be!) you are probably self-sabotaging because you lost two pounds. Historically, when I reach new low weights I always binge. It's just so easy to justify, but it's obviously totally illogical and counterproductive. Try to turn the day around, you've done it many times and today is no different!
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    Knowing that I was doing it didn't stop me. I went 145 calories over, which isn't terrible, but still. But I figured out why I was insatiable today. ED and TOM. Notgood guys to have around together.

Tomorrow.....as Scarlett would say, is another day.
  • msty112
    Options
    TOM is a b****! Sorry you had a rough one Irish. I did pretty well at my friend's house. I ate a ton of cheese and nuts but I completely avoided the sweets and chips which always gets me in trouble. I went way over on calories but I'm not upset about it and I didn't binge, just kind of ate throughout the evening.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is also TOM for me, which made it extremely hard to not eat 5 plates of nachos on Saturday.....
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    Binging again. Not happy.
  • ab6046
    Options
    Me too, I'm just getting started. Considering making a run to the store and getting a gallon of milk to make an enormous batch of tapioca pudding.
  • ab6046
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    TOM is a b****! Sorry you had a rough one Irish. I did pretty well at my friend's house. I ate a ton of cheese and nuts but I completely avoided the sweets and chips which always gets me in trouble. I went way over on calories but I'm not upset about it and I didn't binge, just kind of ate throughout the evening.

That's amazing, congratulations! It sounds like you know what your triggers are and were able to avoid those.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    Ab, I hope you didn't. I hope you were able to resist. We need to find something else pleasurable to replace the binge. But what? What can compare to the release of just letting go and giving in to that overpowering urge-lust, really-to binge?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So Friday I had an utterly miserable day at work, I was shorthanded, I was overly busy, I got home and my kids were just nuts. They are great but every once in awhile something clicks in my son and he goes super hyper. Well I should share that he has ADHD and sensory processing disorder. We are still trying to get him in for a full evaluation so his ADHD is untreated and gets my anxiety going pretty bad if I am on high stress. Well between work, the kids, the new dog we rescued, the other dog, my littlest daughter doing her best Caillou (if you do not know who or what that is, he is a HORRIBLE WHINY LITTLE *kitten* that makes all adults question why they had kids to begin with) impression, which is never good when both kids are in a mood. So coupled with that, and the wife working late then going to visit her grandmother and so I was not doing well Friday night. So I felt the urge to binge well up inside me, I found the last sleeve of tag a long peanut butter girl scout cookies, and ate half a sleeve, then the bowl of chocolates and ate like 4 or 5 mini hershey's bars. I know that may not seem like a full blown binge, and it probably wasn't, since I am on an awesome medication it keeps my hunger in check, but the urge was there, the feeling powerless to stop was there. So even with treatment 7 weeks into medication I can still feel the urge inside when things get really out of control. But it is also helping me identify my triggers. Another things my wife found the box of cookies last night and looked at me and I told her I had a binge on Friday when everything was going nuts. So she just smiled and asked if I was ok and that was it. No judgement, no shame, nothing but love and support which was nice.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    Callilou is the Antichrist. I am convinced.

I said in another discussion that we need something pleasurable to replace binging with. But what? Sex? My husband would love that, but it's impractical a lot of the time. Alcohol? That's as destructive as binging.

I get the feeling of being amp up and needing something (foooooood!) to turn down the inner volume. When I leave the preschool (imagine the scene you described x 75 kids that you can't smack upside the head) I usually turn to the gym to release. Lately, though, I've been exhausted. So what do I do? What can WE do?
  • mweckler
    Options
    We can rally together to get Callilliou banned, or at least change his name to something that people can spell. I play video games in my spare time to help me destress and unwind. I can not eliminate food as I am a chef and therefore have to cook all day every day until I die. Sex that is a good replacement but my kids are really good at not letting that one happen any more. I would love to get back to the gym but by the time I get home, get the kids settled, let the dogs out, cook dinner, then the wife gets home it is close to 6 then the kids goto bed around 730 or 8 depending.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    I feel your pain on all counts. And one of my duties at the preschool is preparing snacks :/ Great task for a binge eater.

I play video games, too, but I find that the longer I am sedentary the longer I remain that way. Objects at rest and all....

Excuses excuses, as my Mutha would say.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Well I find that when I play my games that I get engrossed in them and forget to eat. But agree about being sedentary, but I am not taking in calories either so it balances out in my mind. What games and system do you play?
    With the snacks do you have a list of approved snacks you have to make, or do you have some freedom to create your own?
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    Approved snacks. Mostly addictive JUNK! Fruit Loops, cereal bars, Ritz crackers and such.

We have Playstations 1-3, a WII, even an old Atari with a billion games lol! I play everything from Sim Pets, Polar Bowler, and Crash Bandicoot to Wolfenstien (my favorite!), Resident Evil, and Doom (my other favorite!). I lose all track of time playing games and I don't eat. But once I devote three hours to a game, I find myself totally lethargic. Still, I love games!

What do you play?
  • mweckler
    Options
    I have Xbox one and PS4 and WII U at my house. I play RPG type games, like Diablo 3 Grand theft auto 5, Destiny, I just picked up dying light which is a zombie survival game I think no idea, my friends have it and told me to get it. The next game I get is The Division.
  • msty112
    Options
    Caillou=DEVIL!! My nephew watches it. I try to keep my daughter from ever seeing it.

Today is going okay for me. Haven't had a binge in 4 days but I have that nagging feeling creeping in today. Hoping I can keep the beast at bay.