Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This poor 'kitten' is getting a pounding on this site! poor little sh1t.....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    (Refresh)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Robb Wolf's website examins several common, dangerous mantras from the mainstream "moderation" approach to diabetes:

https://robbwolf.com/2017/01/05/why-wont-we-tell-diabetics-the-truth/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kilroy02 wrote: »
    I think it's job security for both doctors and drug companies. The average 1800 calorie diabetic diet has around 200 grams of carbohydrates. My dad had diabetes and my mother put us all on this 1200 calorie diabetic diet. Bread at every meal, very little meat or fat and fruit at each meal. That was 42 years ago. I was hungry all the time, I lost some weight in my arms and breasts, but my stomach and thighs remained the same.

Like the woman who talked about the cat diet, I have two insulin resistant horses. This is a newer problem. I started with horses back in 1975. Insulin resistant horses were almost nonexistent. My one vet said he thought only gray colored Arab horses were prone to the disease. Cushing's in horses is caused by a pituitary tumor, which makes a horse IR, and they treat that with a drug called pergolide. Horses usually get that as they get older, late teens to 20's. Back in the 70's if you seen a horse that was 20 years old, it was a big deal. Usually many of them were gone by 16-18 years of age. Now some are living into their 40's.

I think as with horses, it is with us, in the fact that food has changed. Oats used to be mostly hull (fiber) with very little oat inside. Now they are very little hull and a big fat oat. They've hybridized them. The carbs in a pound of oats is 60. Corn even more. A 1000 pound horse used to get 6 pounds of oats and about 15-20 pounds of hay a day. And in the whole barn, there was only 1 fat horse. The feed I'm feeding my horse is 11 1/2% carbs. Hay has been hybridized as well, more sugars, so you don't have to feed dairy cattle as much for the same amount of calories.

I remember as a kid the corn we ate was young horse/pig corn. Now the bi-color corn has 4 times the size of kernels and tastes like sugar. And now they are making alfalfa hay both hybridized and GMO, so that hits everything in beef. From milk to meat.

I think the hybridization as well as GMO has greatly increased the amount of diabetes in people as well as animals. But it seems only the veterinarians seem to get it. I have my one IR horse on a supplement, by my vet's advice.

Here are the ingredients:
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS per ounce (2 scoop): l-Lysine 2150mg, Chromium 14mg, Methionine 3000mg, Linolenic Acid (Omega 3 Fatty Acid) 510mg, Magnesium 6000mg, Selenium 1ppm, Zinc 100mg, Biotin 20mg, Niacin 40mg, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 1200mg, Vitamin E 70IU, Total Lactic Acid Bacteria (Probiotics) 175 million CFU

Atkins had a vitamin you could buy, but they stopped that. He does have some vit/min advice in some of the newer books.

My vet told me it got rid of the fat pads on her horse. My dad had diabetes for quite a while and only our family doctor recommended some supplementation. Later when my dad's diabetes got really bad, (he gained a lot of weight), the other doctors (our family doctor had died) , just pushed the diabetic diet and insulin injections.

The veterinarian community want's to keep the horses carbs at around 10%. There is a plethora of low carb horse feeds now. I have to put muzzles on them to graze on the grass, since that has a lot of sugars depending on the weather and sunshine. There is a little hole on the bottom where they can get a few blades here and there and exercise. Amazing how animals are getting better care from their doctors than we are from ours.

Thanks for sharing these interesting details about carb levels in horse food.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of diabetes in my family, that I'd like to avoid. My dad eats a horrible diet, I think that's what caused it for him. I'm talking high carb, high fat, high sugar.
    Also I'll add that a family friend was very paranoid about gaining weight her whole life, and was always on a low fat diet. She has Alzheimer's disease in her 50s.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here's a piece of idiotic fluff sure to hasten the arrival of an insulin habit......... :s
    https://www.verywell.com/diabetes-and-sugar-and-other-type-2-diabetes-diet-myths-1087110

Diabetes and Sugar (and Other Type 2 Diabetes Diet Myths)
    Don't Be Duped By These Diabetes Diet Myths
    By Stacey Hugues - Reviewed by a board-certified physician.
    Myth No. 1: Diabetes and Sugar Don't Mix

It's a common myth that people with Type 2 Diabetes can't eat any sugar. Although sugar has little nutritional value and can be a source of empty calories and carbohydrates, all foods—including sugar—can be consumed in appropriate portions. Sugar and desserts are tolerated best if the portion is small and if they are eaten as part of a meal or along with foods that contain some protein.

Curbing your portions of sweets can be hard, so it's usually best to reserve the straight stuff for special occasions. If you don't trust yourself to be able to have a smaller portion of sugary foods, then curb your cravings by keeping your pantry well-stocked with your favorite sugar alternatives and low-carbohydrate snacks.

Myth No. 3: Diabetic Meals Should be Very Low-Carbohydrate

While lower carbohydrate intakes are associated with lower blood sugar levels :) , a moderate carbohydrate intake is recommended for long-term Type 2 Diabetes management. :/

Approximately 50% of your calories should come from carbohydrates. :scream: While the target amount of carbohydrates will depend on your prescribed calorie intake, for most people 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal is the right amount. :anguished: Cutting carbs lower than this can mess up your overall diet quality, often leading to lower fiber and higher fat intakes. :smiley:

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Here's a piece of idiotic fluff sure to hasten the arrival of an insulin habit......... :s
    https://www.verywell.com/diabetes-and-sugar-and-other-type-2-diabetes-diet-myths-1087110

Diabetes and Sugar (and Other Type 2 Diabetes Diet Myths)
    Don't Be Duped By These Diabetes Diet Myths
    By Stacey Hugues - Reviewed by a board-certified physician.
    Myth No. 1: Diabetes and Sugar Don't Mix

It's a common myth that people with Type 2 Diabetes can't eat any sugar. Although sugar has little nutritional value and can be a source of empty calories and carbohydrates, all foods—including sugar—can be consumed in appropriate portions. Sugar and desserts are tolerated best if the portion is small and if they are eaten as part of a meal or along with foods that contain some protein.

Curbing your portions of sweets can be hard, so it's usually best to reserve the straight stuff for special occasions. If you don't trust yourself to be able to have a smaller portion of sugary foods, then curb your cravings by keeping your pantry well-stocked with your favorite sugar alternatives and low-carbohydrate snacks.

Myth No. 3: Diabetic Meals Should be Very Low-Carbohydrate

While lower carbohydrate intakes are associated with lower blood sugar levels :) , a moderate carbohydrate intake is recommended for long-term Type 2 Diabetes management. :/

Approximately 50% of your calories should come from carbohydrates. :scream: While the target amount of carbohydrates will depend on your prescribed calorie intake, for most people 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal is the right amount. :anguished: Cutting carbs lower than this can mess up your overall diet quality, often leading to lower fiber and higher fat intakes. :smiley:

Dude - this is the main stream media, they got 1 out of 5 right (Myth No. 2: "Sugar-Free" Means the Same Thing as "Free Food") . That is about as good as you can expect. In fact that is progress from what I have seen in diabetes magazines that have recipe sections that use sugar substitutes by the cup full along with cups of flour.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    (I can't wait for a reply - although actually, they'd be right about the kook bit... But at least I'm a kook with the right facts! :D )
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I await response, and will let you know what they come back with...!

I won't hold my breath, but do keep us posted!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    (I can't wait for a reply - although actually, they'd be right about the kook bit... But at least I'm a kook with the right facts! :D )

For references, I would include this one since it is an ongoing study with preliminary results already posted:

https://www.virtahealth.com/research

Hard to argue with a study this size with results this dramatic. I can't wait for the full results to come out next year.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Thanks so much, @cstehansen , should I receive a response ( I got an automated response thanking me for contacting them...!) I will be sure to include this research and study in my reply.... :smile:
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Thanks so much, @cstehansen , should I receive a response ( I got an automated response thanking me for contacting them...!) I will be sure to include this research and study in my reply.... :smile:

I hope you aren't holding your breath. If you are, you don't do so standing up. I would hate it if you fell and hurt yourself when you passed out from lack of oxygen.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Lol!! Yeah, going blue around the gills is a dead give-away....!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love your passion @AlexandraCarlyle !!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Great job @AlexandraCarlyle