Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Now this is a much better list of top diabetes influencers!
    http://www.diaverge.com/blog/2016/12/5/low-carb-diabetes-influencers

Seeing this really made my day!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!

I love the note just above the bio of each - "(In alphabetical order after Dr. Bernstein)." Gotta give the modern founder proper billing.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There's a lot of Dumb in most collections of "tips" at Diabetic Connect (an offering from the shadowy Alliance Health, which claims to help folks with chronic diseases connect; but, alas, there's no opportunity for community comment on the parade of 1980s-vintage, lipophobic, clickbait articles.)

10 Foods You Think Are Healthy But Aren’t

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-slideshows/409-10-foods-you-think-are-healthy-but-aren-t
    The unfortunate thing about taco salad is you’re likely to add on a plethora of toppings — from sour cream to Mexican blend shredded cheese to piles of guacamole — that just aren’t good for you. Some sources say that a whole fast food taco salad can have 906 calories and 49 grams of fat.

Uh....
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    There's a lot of Dumb in most collections of "tips" at Diabetic Connect (an offering from the shadowy Alliance Health, which claims to help folks with chronic diseases connect; but, alas, there's no opportunity for community comment on the parade of 1980s-vintage, lipophobic, clickbait articles.)

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-slideshows/409-10-foods-you-think-are-healthy-but-aren-t
    The unfortunate thing about taco salad is you’re likely to add on a plethora of toppings — from sour cream to Mexican blend shredded cheese to piles of guacamole — that just aren’t good for you. Some sources say that a whole fast food taco salad can have 906 calories and 49 grams of fat.

Uh....

LOL - they vilify the parts that are extremely healthy. I'm sure they extol the virtues of the beans in it, too, regardless of the carb count.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

Uh....

LOL - they vilify the parts that are extremely healthy. I'm sure they extol the virtues of the beans in it, too, regardless of the carb count.

Why, yes, in fact they do! (But no mention of the carbs in the secret sauces and dressings....)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/health-minister-john-haggie-diabetes-report-1.3887510

In Canada, the Health Minister for Newfoundland & Labrador thinks the Canadian Diabetes Association estimate for diabetes/pre-diabetes is wrong (and he's downplaying their report) because his data says fewer people are diagnosed.

Duh.

So, he thinks the number of people officially diagnosed is the same as the number of people in his province living with the disease? That's either complete ignorance or outright lies on his part.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/health-minister-john-haggie-diabetes-report-1.3887510

In Canada, the Health Minister for Newfoundland & Labrador thinks the Canadian Diabetes Association estimate for diabetes/pre-diabetes is wrong (and he's downplaying their report) because his data says fewer people are diagnosed.

Duh.

So, he thinks the number of people officially diagnosed is the same as the number of people in his province living with the disease? That's either complete ignorance or outright lies on his part.

Oh my. I can't... I just can't... lol
    Sometimes I realize how dumb otherwise intelligent people are. It can be scary when they are in power.
    Dear god! Trump is my president... I'm gonna go find a hole now
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Duh.

That's one way to save money in health care, eh? They aren't diagnosed, let's not look for them. Just go put your head in this nice hole in the sand....
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2016
    Options
    More tomfoolery from the World Leader in Diabetes Misinformation:

In an interview with Jimmy Moore (LLVLC #683), Dr. Bernstein related that the ADA, a proud partner of Coca-Cola and Domino Foods, refused to accept ads for his diabetes books.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/7930/683-llvlc-classic-low-carb-diabetes-doctor-richard-bernstein/
    (ADA stuff starts around 18:00)

I wonder how many polio charities blackballed Dr. Salk.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :#:'(
  • akroach7
    akroach7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I just fired my doctors and diabetes educators. During the last 5 years under their care I've had 2 heart attacks, 3 heart stents and 3 strokes. The last stroke was just 5 months ago. With my 1st stroke I found out I had MTHFR. A genetic mutation. My doctors said not to worry about it because there was nothing they could do.
    It turns out that the MTHFR is connected to my diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, digestive issues, depression, and my bodies inability to detox (hard to lose weight, side effects of medications). My future may have cancer, dementia and alzheimers.
    And there is a simple supplement that helps: L-5-MTHFR with Active B12. People with MTHFR do not process regular folic acid and B vitamins, they become toxic in the body. There are about 50% of the population with MTHFR. But, not everyone with it has problems with it. I didn't until I was 50 years old.
    Insulin didn't work for me. I gained 25 lbs a month on it. My doctor wasn't concerned with how big I was going to be in a year. I was, so I went to a diabetes educator for help. He said they don't recommend any diets because they found out that people don't stick to them. So, they just tell everyone to eat what you want and adjust your insulin.
    I went LCHF and started to feel so much better. But, I caught a virus and needed an IV. Instead of giving me a potassium magnesium IV, I noticed it was sugar water. I looked at him and said why are you giving me glucose? You know I'm diabetic. He said you are throwing ketones. You are in acid ketosis. I said, no I'm on a keto adapted diet. I'm throwing ketones because I'm losing all the weight I put on from the insulin. My blood sugar went over 500. Then he comes in and says, you almost died! Then he says before he leaves, you got to eat a lot more carbs. Ugg! I have tried to find a doctor that understands the MTHFR and the LCHF diet, but sadly I will probably have to move.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    akroach7 wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and I just fired my doctors and diabetes educators. During the last 5 years under their care I've had 2 heart attacks, 3 heart stents and 3 strokes. The last stroke was just 5 months ago. With my 1st stroke I found out I had MTHFR. A genetic mutation. My doctors said not to worry about it because there was nothing they could do.
    It turns out that the MTHFR is connected to my diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, digestive issues, depression, and my bodies inability to detox (hard to lose weight, side effects of medications). My future may have cancer, dementia and alzheimers.
    And there is a simple supplement that helps: L-5-MTHFR with Active B12. People with MTHFR do not process regular folic acid and B vitamins, they become toxic in the body. There are about 50% of the population with MTHFR. But, not everyone with it has problems with it. I didn't until I was 50 years old.
    Insulin didn't work for me. I gained 25 lbs a month on it. My doctor wasn't concerned with how big I was going to be in a year. I was, so I went to a diabetes educator for help. He said they don't recommend any diets because they found out that people don't stick to them. So, they just tell everyone to eat what you want and adjust your insulin.
    I went LCHF and started to feel so much better. But, I caught a virus and needed an IV. Instead of giving me a potassium magnesium IV, I noticed it was sugar water. I looked at him and said why are you giving me glucose? You know I'm diabetic. He said you are throwing ketones. You are in acid ketosis. I said, no I'm on a keto adapted diet. I'm throwing ketones because I'm losing all the weight I put on from the insulin. My blood sugar went over 500. Then he comes in and says, you almost died! Then he says before he leaves, you got to eat a lot more carbs. Ugg! I have tried to find a doctor that understands the MTHFR and the LCHF diet, but sadly I will probably have to move.

Oh my! I'm so glad that you are fully aware of how totally backward that doctors thinking is. Can you imagine if you just kept going along with his advice? Terrifying!
    I'm sorry for all the health trouble you've suffered and hope you continue to find better health on LCHF.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Even a type 1 in DKA would not get an IV with glucose unless they were in DKA with normal BG's... and then, there would be a 2nd IV with insulin. SMH, the lack of diabetes knowledge in the medical community is frustrating. And in some cases (like yours), dangerous.

I suggest seeking an endocrinologist who is open to your diet.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Oh my. I wish you a healthy 2017. I hope your health improves quickly with the diet.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband's diabetic mother died from KA, on his 16th birthday. The official cause of death was listed as cardiac arrest. His whole family believes the doctor at the hospital killed her and covered it up.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    My husband's diabetic mother died from KA, on his 16th birthday. The official cause of death was listed as cardiac arrest. His whole family believes the doctor at the hospital killed her and covered it up.

DKA can cause hypokalemia, which can cause cardiac arrest.

This almost happened to me when I was a teenager. I just stopped caring, didn't eat or take insulin for a couple days (no insulin on a Sat. and Sun., but almost no food also). On Sunday, my meter was no longer able to display a BG because it was out of range - I think 600 mg/dl was the top end. This was before blood tests for ketones, but the urine sticks were showing dark purple. By Monday morning, I was in DKA, vomiting, urinating every few minutes. Lived in a rural area, phone conversations between my parents and the endocrinologist's office, of course. Endo wanted them to have an ambulance take me to the nearest hospital (~15 miles) with a helicopter launch pad, then take the medical helicopter to the bigger hospital (~90 additional miles) where my endocrinologist was based (no endo's at the small community hospital). My dad thought that was too extreme, so instead just drove me to that larger hospital.

On the way down, I was in and out of consciousness and hallucinating in addition to vomiting (brought a bucket). When we got there, the ER was supposed to know we were coming, but apparently that communication got lost. When we went in, my dad took me over to the water fountain (extreme thirst, of course). I drank a bunch, but couldn't move because I couldn't stand on my own at that point. So I had to stay leaning against the fountain. He went to the desk, then came back and helped me to a chair in the waiting area, then went back to the desk. I remember noticing my fingertips were starting to turn purple. I don't know how long I waited, but the nurse took me back and was just taking vitals - not realizing how bad of shape I was in. Then I vomited on her, at which point they figured out maybe they should move me faster. They started wheeling me up to the ICU (in wheelchair since the waiting room), and I lost consciousness again. Next thing I remember was just a really brief moment where there were a bunch of medical people around - must have woken up for a second - then the next day, woke up again in the ICU with just a couple nurses. Then gradually improved over the next few days. Lab BG showed 938 mg/dl at first, and they put an IV in a main artery (in groin) to get fast delivery of insulin. The endocrinologist did mention that she was surprised, based on potassium levels, that I didn't have a heart attack. Said that would have been very likely / expected based on potassium levels.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I just fired my doctors this week as well. Not sure where you live, but if you use the link below and scroll down, you will see on the right a list of doctors who are LCHF friendly. They are listed by state. I found one on the list who is not too far from me. I had my initial visit with him last month and a follow up yesterday. I now have much more clarity about what I need to do and how.

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

How did it go yesterday??
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I just fired my doctors this week as well. Not sure where you live, but if you use the link below and scroll down, you will see on the right a list of doctors who are LCHF friendly. They are listed by state. I found one on the list who is not too far from me. I had my initial visit with him last month and a follow up yesterday. I now have much more clarity about what I need to do and how.

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

How did it go yesterday??

Just started a new thread for this. Warning: It is a very long post, and I didn't even cover everything. Summary: very much worthwhile to change doctors.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I just fired my doctors and diabetes educators.
    My suggestion: As a nurse, take the courses (they're full of crap, but that doesn't matter) and become a CDE - a Certified Diabetes Educator.

Once you have that certification, you can create your own plans and always be compliant, FYI. :smiley:

You can also teach others the TRUTH about diabetes, carbohydrate metabolism and proper nutrition.
    ...But, I caught a virus and needed an IV. Instead of giving me a potassium magnesium IV, I noticed it was sugar water. I looked at him and said why are you giving me glucose? You know I'm diabetic. He said you are throwing ketones. You are in acid ketosis. I said, no I'm on a keto adapted diet. I'm throwing ketones because I'm losing all the weight I put on from the insulin. My blood sugar went over 500. Then he comes in and says, you almost died! Then he says before he leaves, you got to eat a lot more carbs.
    Unfortunately the way we treat diabetics in the hospital is criminal. Typical diabetic meals in the hospitals I have privileges are low-fat/high-carb nightmares. The incredible misinformation staff (whether medical, nursing or dietetic) have about ketoacidosis vs. ketosis is startling.

I wish your experience was a rare one. Unfortunately, it's not.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    There's a funny dialog on this blog post that reflects the typical duet teachings. It's really funny and also sad because of how true it really is.

"in your addled state, you’ve failed to understand that diabetes is a PROGRESSIVE disease. And your diabetes hasn’t progressed at all. In fact, it seems to be quite stalled."
    FACEPALM!

https://eathropology.com/2015/09/29/1252/