Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There's a funny dialog on this blog post that reflects the typical duet teachings. It's really funny and also sad because of how true it really is.

"in your addled state, you’ve failed to understand that diabetes is a PROGRESSIVE disease. And your diabetes hasn’t progressed at all. In fact, it seems to be quite stalled."
    FACEPALM!

https://eathropology.com/2015/09/29/1252/

Yee-owza! That pretty well takes the proverbial cake.

I enjoyed, er... this graphic.
    wtf.gif?w=1200

Thanks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Facebook post from an Australian Diabetic Living Magazine for a high sugar dessert using Tim Tams.
    https://www.facebook.com/australiandiabeticlivingmagazine/photos/a.132713940138062.32349.124159664326823/942079345868180/?type=3&hc_location=ufi
    Some low carb names many of us are familiar with in the comments conversation including Richard Feinman! He's even apparently making a call to action and offering to get involved
    wsusdw60qmcy.png

You gotta read the comments. Look for RD Dikeman from Dr Bernsteins videos and the facebook group TypeOneGrit, Richard Morris of 2KetoDudes and Stewart McLean of facebook group In Support of Paleo and Low Carb

Since it was just shared I assumed it was a current thing. It turns out it's a year old.
    Makes it more sad that only 3 people liked Richards comment and nobody even responded to it.
    All these people had plenty too say on the post but nobody wanted to take any real action...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this piece of craziness.

Feinman et al., are the conscience that's missing from the mainstream diabetes scene... .
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I love Feinman.... I subscribe to his blog. He's a very busy guy and doesn't post often, but when he does - amazing!
    https://feinmantheother.com/
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I love Feinman.... I subscribe to his blog. He's a very busy guy and doesn't post often, but when he does - amazing!
    https://feinmantheother.com/

FYI, you can snag his book, The World Turned Upside Down from him directly for around $15US on eBay.

He and Bernstein may have had the same wet nurse.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Yes, that's standard advice. They don't seem to notice that it does NOT work.

My grandmother died of diabetic complications, that's what she ate all her life. Bland, tasteless, boring, depressing food, until she was nothing but skin and bones and had to make an effort to eat. She never cheated, not even at Christmas or birthdays. No matter what everyone else was eating, she had her own food. Still died after having first a foot, then a leg, amputated. When I got the same advice I said no, thank you.

I am SO MAD at the lies being spread around by doctors and diabetes "educators" that should know better, and so sad for all the people trying their best and still getting worse every day.

Your grandmother's experience was much like my dad's. Very sad, not everyone can have a low-fat and high carb/sugar diet and not get very sick. It's irresponsible for doctors to not do research, but I also get how they are literally indoctrinated with so much information and with busy schedules that it can be hard to keep up (and given our health care crises over the past couple decades, it's only gotten worse). This is no way intended to excuse medical professionals, but the amount of misinformation and bad science that has been spread about and taken for good info is monumental in this day and age. I have a very good internet friend who is has her medical degrees and is a patient advocate and staunch researcher. I'd rather take my advice from her, than a GP these days.
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Docs these days actually need someone to curate the best info from multiple studies so they don't have to get it from the PharmaReps that drop off drug samples and 'informational' pamphlets.

Hmmmm, interesting marketing potential there for a new 'medical research curator' position. Could be tailored to whatever your physician employer deals with.... maybe more towards diabetes, specific cancers, etc; or geriatric concerns, or pediatrics, etc....

If I was younger, I might offer myself as that person to docs in my area....
    go ahead, run with it I you guys :)

Think big! Here's one for ya. Wanna live in SF?

https://www.virtahealth.com

Lots of current openings.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Ugh! I saw that article everywhere recently!
    It's so stupid how they don't seem to realize all the "gluten free" processed carbs people tend to eat constantly..... oh sure! There's no waaay those could be the issue huh?!?! Lol

• canadjineh
    Options
    I like San Francisco.... VirtaHealth sounds awesome. Unfortunately I am not a "Back End Systems Engineer." (I checked their 'Careers' page :( )
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I like San Francisco.... VirtaHealth sounds awesome. Unfortunately I am not a "Back End Systems Engineer." (I checked their 'Careers' page :( )

I saw that too. However, I only like SF in terms of visiting. I could never live there. To used to having no state income tax, no city income tax and a very reasonable cost of living to move to California.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Holy crap I've gone down a serious rabbit hole of reading this morning. I am talking with a co-worker over this and she hit the same stonewall with her doctor. You HAVE to eat all these carbs or how will all the medications work?? So much for being proactive and involved with our health. :( This makes me wonder what my doc is going to tell me on Monday (blood draw was yesterday for dizziness...upped Mag and that helped). I left her printed out information on keto and it's myths so we'll see. I trust her for most things and she is open to less traditional solutions to problems but I'm still honestly not sure what she'll say.

But hey, if my blood sugars are down I'm going to use that fact to my advantage.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    LOL, if I were a Back End Systems Engineer, I guess I'd know if it's the same thing. :p
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    LOL, if I were a Back End Systems Engineer, I guess I'd know if it's the same thing. :p

Then, you're not.... a proctologist, either? :'(<3
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Ha! So very harmful to the brain it's used to treat traumatic brain injuries, epilepsy, and so many other things I can't even...!!!
    That's a gem! A terrible "asparagus" covered gem!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Ha! So very harmful to the brain it's used to treat traumatic brain injuries, epilepsy, and so many other things I can't even...!!!
    That's a gem! A terrible "asparagus" covered gem!

Well stated. I might even go so far as to call it a *kitten*-*asparagus* covered gem....